Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Zygote

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Default seedling cfl lighting??

hey, im starting out growing a single plant form a bag seed for the first time, i plan on starting/buying some lowryder seeds but i dont think i should start them untiul after x-mas cause ill be gone for a week+ and wont be able ot water.
    so anyways..ive had the seedling in a jiffy cube for a few days under a 42watt cfl about 4-5 inches above. i was just wondering if i should give it more light or if thats enough for now (i have another 42 watt and a 65 watt cfl) im doing the 24/0 lighting schedule also and the seedling is about 2 inches out of the cube with 4 small leaves.any info would help out alot, thanks.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 6/0

Good luck with your first grow.

When you are using cfl's you can bring the light down so it is almost touching the plant. That is not the case with MH or HPS.

It's too bad you are only growing one plant what happens if it is a male?

The more light the better and as I said "good luck".
    Thank God we don't get all the Government we pay for!

Thumbs Up/Down

The cfl will be fine for sprouting but after the second internode as appeared I always put them under the light and start using my grow nutes along with the Liquid Karma in a higher dose.

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by Bulls&Bowls
    The cfl will be fine for sprouting but after the second internode as appeared I always put them under the light and start using my grow nutes along with the Liquid Karma in a higher dose.
    agreed 100%.

it's not that you can't grow with cfl's, it just takes much longer. i used floro's on my last grow and it took forever and the yield stunk. now i have a digital 400 and there is a HUGE difference!! if you can get a 150 watt you'll have much better results imho. plus it won't be so hot that heat becomes an issue.
    Judge the deed and NOT the breed.
    Help Save The American Pit Bull Terrier

Zygote

Thumbs Up/Down

how would hps lighting solve heat issues, arent cfls alot cooler then hps lights? ill have 150 watts for the one plant, is that gogin to work?..also i found another seed i just started trying to germinate so i might have another one. i would also like ot know what a good site i could get some nutriants at a good price and what i should get, i dont have too much moey, this is definatly a "gurella" grow, any help would be much appreciated.
    thanks

Thumbs Up/Down

nymupthea, I use the Botanicare line of organic nutes and the cheapest, lower than retail, I have found is www.truevisionhydroponics.com and although they're packing has much to be determined...it is still not that bad. With a 150w HPS you can easily germinate 12-15 seeds but will need to put them under more lumens after the true leaves fill out and they gain their first/second real internodes. I recommend PureBlend Pro Grow, Pure Blend Soil Bloom, Liquid Karma, and if growing indoors using Hydroguard and Sweet. Make sure you get a box of Fox Farm Peace of Mind to amend your soil with. I would run with the Fruit and Flower PoM box and it contains beneficial microbes and microhizzae fungi.

Thumbs Up/Down

I would think that you are going to have to have 2 grow setups because the seed you are germinating right now will be a bit behind the one you already have growing....Any Guru's have any suggestions on this??

Thumbs Up/Down

I just had to make my second set up with 3 cfl's to cover my seedlings that are still germinating and the ones that just sprouted. This set up will also be used to root cuttings off of my mothers I will select.

Thumbs Up/Down

What is the size of the area you are growing in nymupthea? 150 watts for one flowering plant will be fine! But, you may find you itch to split up your lights for clones (keeping my fingers crossed your baby is a girl!). Your setup right now sounds like you will always have to wait for a plant to finish flowering before you can start the next one going. I would suggest more lights for you for the future, a baby/vegging area and a flowering area. The more you can concetrate your light, the better your plant will respond - white/mylar side walls, close to the plants, reflector, etc.. The 65 watt light may run hot enough to burn your plants if they grow into it - keep an eye on the situation while at the same time keeping the plants as close to your lights as possible! 2-3 inches away for cfl works well for plant growth. Do you have pics?

Zygote

Thumbs Up/Down

no no pics yet, the seedling looks like its going well i just put the juffy cube into a planter, the top were the leaves are forming seems to be dropping though, likeits almost too heavy for the stem.

Chico, Butte County, California, USA, Earth (Visitor)
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0

Might be a little transplant shock, the roots should grow back to the bemand.

They'll probably perk up after a few days.

Flourescent lights produce more heat per watt, they just produce it difusely over a greater area. HPS by comparison produces less heat, but it's from a much more concentrated area (higher local temperature).

Cheap ferts: I grow hydro with straight Peters Perfessional 20-20-20 and
    10-50-10 which can mixed to you preference. These can be found at major hardware and garden outlets.
    Last edited by salmayo; 10-26-2005 at 01:25 AM.
    The City of Chico has the highest per capita MJ consumption in America... ...and it doesn't even feel like work.

Zygote

Thumbs Up/Down

thanks alot for the helpful info, right now im useing miracle grow moisture control soil that has a .18% nitrogen and .10% phosphate content in a 2 gallon planter. im just not too sure on how to add the fertilizer..like when and in which amounts and such, im also worried i havent completely penitrated the soil with water since i transplanted the seedling into it but im also worried im might over water it. as a first time grower i much appreciate you experianced folks helping me out with my dumb first time questions and problems

Thumbs Up/Down

Lightbulb

Cfs are great for seeding when their new, but that's only like two weeks or when you get secondard growth. Then you need something that puts out a lot more light or Lumans. A 150 watt Cfs only puts out 10500 lumans (70 lumans per watt) while a HID ie 400 Watt Metal Halide Lamp = 36,000 Lumens or 400 watt High presure sodium = 50,000 Lumens. So you see their great starts or supplment that's about it. This is something I learned at great cost I've bought lots of them and you get medium grade smoke at best and I was running 6 at a time. So now I'm replacing them as fast as the money will let me.
    Hm Ken
    Lifes a bitch and she's back in heat!

Chico, Butte County, California, USA, Earth (Visitor)
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0

Quote Originally Posted by nymupthea
    thanks alot for the helpful info, right now im useing miracle grow moisture control soil that has a .18% nitrogen and .10% phosphate content in a 2 gallon planter. im just not too sure on how to add the fertilizer..like when and in which amounts and such, im also worried i havent completely penitrated the soil with water since i transplanted the seedling into it but im also worried im might over water it. as a first time grower i much appreciate you experianced folks helping me out with my dumb first time questions and problems
    I overwater, its a hydro thing. I grow all kinds of plants to huge proportions in tiny pots, one of the ways I do this is BY OVERWATERING with weak fertilizer solution and by alternate watering with Water flushing.

As far as being sure on how much fertilizer to use, NOW IS THE TIME TO LEARN FROM YOUR PLANTS. Nutrient demands can vary from plant to plant and this includes Cannabis. An excellent (but not adsolute) indicator of the plants health is the new growth.

Your soil has nutes, so water is fine for starters.

It is a good idea to water to the point of run-off to determine how much water your plants use up a day or so (watering interval). Use a little less than the amount needed to cause run-off the second time you water, if you are going to stay with straight water.

But, if you notice paling of the new grow, especially the innermost leaves of the main growing tip, you can start adding dilute fertilizer.

If you are going with fertilizer, water until run-off EVERY TIME, to avoid build up. (Sort of a constant flush method).

I start my plants on a 1/16th (1/16th of a teaspoon) dilution to start with. I water to the point of run-off to saturate the soil with this weak solution. Then I observe how the plant reacts to this change (3 days min.), while watering lightly (below run-off amount) with water.

I overwater and am running a little lean on the fertilizer, I'm doing full grown plants on 1 teaspoon per gallon. I could use 1 Tablespoon per gallon, but the risk of fertilizer burn is greater.

I use the sizable run-off on my garden, its got plenty of nutes.

Another method I have used but requires more flushing, is to fertilize at (just before) the night cycle, and water at the start of the light cycle. Plants can handle more nutes in the dark and need more water in the light.
    I flush and then used 1 Tablespoon per Gallon "at night" and an equal volume of water "at morning". That's seven to fourteen times as much fertilizer per week as the label recommends, but like I say...

I OVERWATER!
    Last edited by salmayo; 10-26-2005 at 10:29 PM.
    The City of Chico has the highest per capita MJ consumption in America... ...and it doesn't even feel like work.

Thumbs Up/Down

Just a couple of older seedling pics. I know what you mean about the plants feeling like they are going topple over from the leaves! I keep them staked, and run a gentle breeze through the room, both to improve airflow and to encourage the stems. I'm a complete floro grower, and I would say its just really important during flowering to make sure the plant(s) have lots of concetrated light - at least 50 watts per sq ft of area. Its important to remember that the floro light does not penetrate as far as ther lights do. I like branching the plant so it spreads out instead of up for a small set up. I start a lighter than recomended dose of ferts at this seedling stage, and I keep a close eye on the leave edges for yellowing. Your plant's leaves should always be a nice, healthy looking green during vegging. In flowering that can become a different call depending on the plant variety.
    Last edited by green girl; 02-12-2006 at 10:45 AM.

Zygote

Thumbs Up/Down

mine appears to be doing good, i dont have any ferts though. also its more premature then the pcitures youve posted but ive already transplanted it into the 2 gallon planter, is this ok?

Thumbs Up/Down

There are a few opinions about planter sizing around!

I go with the method of letting the plant grow in the pot, but transplanting before it gets rootbound. I use 4" planters to start with the seedlings, and gradually move up to 12" (about 1 1/2 gallons). In between I also have 6", 8" and 10" sizes, depends on which plant I'm growing, how many times it get transplanted. NL (northern lights) used different pots than KM (kali mist)!

A little seedling in a huge pot doesn't have a huge root structure. So the roots will draw water from their area, but the rest of the soil in the pot is just geting soaked and then (if things are going right) drying out. If the soil stays wet, that is a problem. Fresh soil has nutrients in it, that are being washed away by the water, that costs you to replace later on anyways.

Course thats just me, This is definately a grow technique where everyone has an opinon and a method!

Zygote

Thumbs Up/Down

so my plant seems to be coming along well, getting ltos of fan leaves on it, some of them seem to be curled in a bit around the edges though, i just had it sitting in my kitchen with one of the 42 watt cfl's over it but today i moved it into a closest covered in white copy paper but im noticeing the cloest seems kind of cold, do you think this is going ot be a problem?

Thumbs Up/Down

Great that your plants are coming along.

I'm a celsius kind of goldilocks! And I try to keep the tempurature at 25C. The plant seems to grow best for me there. Too cold and the plant will slow down or even stop growing. Too hot, is just as bad. You have to find your just-right temperature for where you are growing.

The leaf curling could be a host of things, pics are better at helping see what's going on.
    Last edited by green girl; 10-30-2005 at 09:54 PM.

Zygote

Thumbs Up/Down

update on how the pkant is doing. thanks everyone for the help. as of now i still havent used any ferts, aside fomr whatever is in the MG moisture control soil. the plant is growing but i cant tell if it looks healthy or a bit off, a couple of the bottom leaves are curled. heres some pcitures of it surrently. the plant is about 11 days old. any informaiton would be greately appreciated, i want my first grow to work..also right now its under (nearly touching) a 42 actual watt CFL.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	plant.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	225.3 KB 
ID:	5500   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thepot.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	241.7 KB 
ID:	5501   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	topview.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	136.6 KB 
ID:	5502   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	verticle.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	173.1 KB 
ID:	5503  

buddyh

You're doing good.
    I'm a ' Use what you have and then upgrade when you can' kind of guy.
    In the past I've grown and flowered up to 6 plants with a 150 MH with good results.
    Anytime you get a harvest with smokable buds, I consider that good results.
    Is your soil too wet?
    Let it dry out a bit in between waterings.
    It's a cute plant, I hope it's a girl!

Zygote

Thumbs Up/Down

ive been taking care not to over water, at most it gets slightly moist, and i water when the surface feels dry..ill add like a drinking glass of water or less depending on how dry it is. it just seems to look partially wilted to me.. like the leaves arent really looking smooth and consistant it seems. maybe im just being paranoid?

GriM

looking good to me i have been growing with cf's from start to finsh on my last 3 grows (current grow with 13 42watt cf's ... http://www.treatingyourself.com/vbul...ead.php?t=5993 ) off 2 plants on my last grow i ended up with just under 3 1/2 oz's not bad for getting everything at home depot ..lol ... now expecting a lil more this round with more light and may switch over to the hps next week .... butcf's will do the job nicly .. while veging these plants i run 4-6 cf's and do ALOT of training to try to keep the canopy even my big plant in the pic is in a 7 gallon pot and when out of the closet is about 3 foot around good luck and happy growing.............oh btw i use just shultz reg plant food for my soil plants 2-3 eye dropers per gallon of water and water one gallon every day unless i still see water in my catch pan if so i wait a day ............

Zygote

Thumbs Up/Down

the watering part is what i dont think i understand about ferts...i water maybe a cup a day or less,, wouldnt pouring a gallon into the planter be seriousley overwatering it? and also explain te "catch pan" and how it dries out..wouldnt the water just sit in it?

Zygote

Thumbs Up/Down

also some really exciting news! i dont know how but my single 12 day old plant seems ot be showing sex, which appears to be two "pistols?" in the "crotch" of each of the two upper stems. but my leaves dont look too good..they look kind of crumbeled up..not really smoth and not to mention the curling..kind of looks like if somone were to crumple the leaves slightly like a piece of paper...now that it apears to be a female im really excited and i dont want ot lose it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast