Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 65/0
    Given: 136/1

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

What's an MP3?
    Help me stop DSS delicate soul syndrome. We need volunteers to hug and hold all the delicate souls until we can heal them. Help us today! You can make a difference in someone's life. Tell them the truth.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 881/0
    Given: 470/1

Oh, looks like I might get to join Groo in repairing an install now.

Yesterday Windows started acting up on my old PC so I rebooted to find that the boot table is corrupt.

I had cloned the HDD to a SSD a few weeks ago, and then removed the SSD to transfer some files. Rebooting from the HDD had me at the state my PC was in a few weeks ago. All good.

Now booting from the hard drive fails and the only option left to try is a reinstall either from the factory-install partition or via a USB stick with Win 10, and I think I may opt for the latter as my license should still carry over from the OEM.

Of course, I could always just plug the SSD back in and boot Windows like usual (success!) but since that PC is now going to be used mostly for streaming music and video, a solid state drive is rather overkill that could be used elsewhere so I think I'll try cloning the SSD back onto the HDD the install came from as the current ethernet port can only handle 12.5 MB/s (still plenty for movies) and even at gigabit speeds (125MB/s) the hard drive can still mostly saturate the bandwidth.

Speaking of MP3, the history behind it is fascinating in the sense that integral aspects of the technique go back to the 1800s and the first relevant codec was created in 1979. From there it became parts of the MPEG series of standards in 1991 and we all started hearing about it in 1999 when Metallica sued Napster.

So in essence, the technology has been around for a long time, but the hardware to run it was science fiction to the point that it's in a Star Trek: TNG episode.

Now it's in disposable singing birthday cards.
    Last edited by Shadimar; 08-08-2016 at 11:14 AM.
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    Ceci n'est pas une signature du forum.
    Thank You for using S.h.a.d.i.m.a.r.: the world's most poorly coded chatbot.
    Substantially Humanlike Application Determined Insufficient Mediocre And Relatively annoying.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 538/2
    Given: 315/0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

It sounds like you got the new system just in time.

My next replacement is a 3TB external HDD to replace the 2TB external I have now. I'll image the data, then only keep backups of the *critical* data on the 2 TB. I've had it for about 3 years now, and it runs for 10-12 hours a day, feeding my computer media. It has started making the occasional noise which indicates it may be having trouble reading some sectors, so I'll be replacing it in September. I'll also be ordering up some BHO in September. September is going to be a *good* month for me. (Gotta love clothing advance month -- that is an extra $240 in my pocket. Sure I have to pay back the loan at $40/month for 6 months, but it is easier for me to borrow and pay back than it is to save. )
    I do not fail -- I succeed at finding out what does not work.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 266/0
    Given: 68/1

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Tin cans and string from live music venue next door. Live mix, on the fly, is interesting to say the least.

Luddites of the world, hitch up your teams to the wagons and unite!

Thumbs Up/Down

You kids and your new-fangled "horses." If you can't *walk* there, it isn't worth going!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,036/0
    Given: 1,031/0

Quote Originally Posted by airedog View Post
    tin cans and string from live music venue next door. Live mix, on the fly, is interesting to say the least.

lmfao
    I fall upon the earth, and I am embraced. Water gives me life, and I spring forth into the light. My roots run deep into the earth, and I am nourished. With wind and water, light and earth, I conspire to ease your pain and heal your wounds, to bring you peace and calm your mind, to give you wisdom and truth of heart.
    I return to the earth and I am embraced.I am Cannabis
    Nohibition

Thumbs Up/Down

Well, it would seem we are at risk of a postal strike next week. The union doesn't want to spend money on another strike vote, Canada Post doesn't want to extend their existing mandate, and that only leaves option three: strike.

That throws a monkey wrench into my month-end shopping plans, but there isn't anything I can do about it so I'll just have to wait and see what happens, just like every other Canadian who doesn't have a say in the bullshit that is going on.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 213/0
    Given: 88/1

youngsters with this new gibberish they speak....... I think they may of been listening to that rock and roll music

Quote Originally Posted by airedog View Post
    Tin cans and string from live music venue next door. Live mix, on the fly, is interesting to say the least.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 12/0
    Given: 2/0

Im so old school i remember when Groove meant doin a dube, not listening to a playlist on my XBone

Thumbs Up/Down

I'm tired of being held for ransom by the posties. So I'm going to order a gram of BHO at month end and just wait however long it takes to get here. But sooner or later I'll be smilin' for 3-4 days.

I figured I'd rather spend the money on BHO and have 3-4 good days instead of stuffing my face with sushi for an hour. *LOL*

Thumbs Up/Down

Being responsible and "adulting" sucks farts off dead chickens in August. I've decided I should finish paying off the backlog of the phone bill instead of buying BHO. I *hate* being responsible. I'd much rather be immature, selfish, and childish and have some fun.

Thumbs Up/Down

Works for me.

N
    I fall upon the earth, and I am embraced. Water gives me life, and I spring forth into the light. My roots run deep into the earth, and I am nourished. With wind and water, light and earth, I conspire to ease your pain and heal your wounds, to bring you peace and calm your mind, to give you wisdom and truth of heart.
    Nohibition

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 881/0
    Given: 470/1

Throw in some Delusions of Grandeur and I'm sold
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    Ceci n'est pas une signature du forum.
    Thank You for using S.h.a.d.i.m.a.r.: the world's most poorly coded chatbot.
    Substantially Humanlike Application Determined Insufficient Mediocre And Relatively annoying.

Thumbs Up/Down

I've decided to be selfish and childish and hope for the best as far as the postal strike goes. Every article I've read for the past 12 hours has the union saying they only intend to implement rotating strikes, which means the mail *will* move (though slowly) unless Canada Post issues a lockout. So unless Canada Post announces a lockout by Monday night, I'll be ordering a gram of BHO and just waiting impatiently for it to arrive.

That means the phone bill won't be paid off until October, but I *am* making $40 headway on it in September, so I'm not being *completely* irresponsible. I'll even have money for a feed of tacos for Taco Time's "Taco Tuesday." That isn't as good a deal as it used to be, but you can still get fed for under $10 (it used to be 5 for $5 about six years ago, but inflation, eh?)

Thumbs Up/Down

I *was* going to have to skip the BHO, but I crunched my budget and I crunched my budget and I crunched my budget and I found ways and means of making it happen.

Life is good again.
    Last edited by groo; 08-26-2016 at 09:38 PM.

Thumbs Up/Down

Crap. Forgot something else. Oh well, there is always October.

Thumbs Up/Down

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by groo View Post
    Crap. Forgot something else. Oh well, there is always October.
    Don't crap, yer outa terlet paper.

N
    Nohibition

Thumbs Up/Down

I am one STUBBORN SOB!!! I made it happen again. It took a *chainsaw* to the budget, but I did it.

Thumbs Up/Down

Life is pretty good for me on this disability "retirement."

Sometimes it takes all kinds of finagling to get what I *want*, but more often than not, I can make it happen without *too* much pain or stress. Sometimes it is just a matter of prioritizing what I want *most*, and skipping a few "extras" along the way.

For example, I decided I wanted some BHO more than I wanted a dozen cans of Chef Boyardee this month. I also decided I'd settle for paying down $25 of the $85 I owe on the phone bill, and pay another $40 next month (October), and the final $20 in November. I've had that bill hanging over my head since *January*, so what difference does a couple more months *really* make?

Despite my number crunching, I still have money in the pocket each and every month for meals out. That is even *more* important to me than BHO. And I didn't sacrifice any *real* food -- I still will be buying over $200 worth of groceries this month. I just won't be buying any "convenience" foods other than my pizzas and burritos.

Now if I'd have had to sacrifice my pizzas, I'd have given serious second thoughts to whether I wanted a gram of BHO that much. After all, it is *only* a gram and will only last 2-4 days. But I didn't have anything for August, so I *want* it. I can't say I *need* it; I was just feeling rather bummed as time and again I remembered things I needed to buy after I'd done my most recent budget crunching, and found myself having to give up on getting it again.

Life is good. I remember days when I *didn't* have enough groceries, and had to rely on the food bank. I remember days when I couldn't even come up with money for a gram of ditch weed. I remember days when I didn't *eat* all day.

I don't miss those times. I don't miss those bad habits.

Things have greatly improved, no matter how much I post in frustration as I work through the details.

I hope it doesn't come across as complaining, 'cause I *am* quite satisfied with my life. If I'd have ended up having to do without, I would have done without and been just fine.

Right now, I'm just incredibly *grateful* that I was able to work out a way to get everything done that I need to do and *still* have what I *want*.

Thumbs Up/Down

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Let's see here,

Feed:
    2 adults
    2 Grand kids 2-3 times a month for a few days each time.
    2 big dogs
    1 cat

Medication: Pharm (no insurance)
    2 adults
    1 big dog

Utilities:
    Hydro
    heat
    water
    Phone/Internet
    for 1 70+yr old house that's never been renoed

Maintenance
    1 70+year old house
    1 full size pick up
    fuel for truck
    Snow removal/lawn maintenance/ maintain mowers etc.

Insurance
    1 70+ year old house
    1 full size pick up

Property Taxes
    1 really old house on 1/2 acre

Traveling to city for Dr appts and Cancer care etc. (as much as $18 bucks at time for parking)

Clothing

Grow costs
    Nutrients
    Soiless medium
    Maintenance

And we both smoke
    If we see any junk food it arrives with the kids and we try to get them to take it with them when they leave.

Combined income CCPD 1500+

How do we do it?
    Commit to a budget and stay with it. Always make sure bills are paid or it will compound next month. Never eat Chef Boyardee, pizza, burritos etc, it's not cost effective, eat for nutrition. Shop for what we need not what we see.

Just sayin'

N
    Nohibition

Thumbs Up/Down

You're better with the budget than I am. There is no *way* could squeeze in a vehicle with insurance, fuel, and repairs on what I get here ($1299/month.)

For me, the "big ticket" expenses are the rent, phone/internet, and glucose test strips. The only reason I have money for cannabis nowadays is I moved to a low-rental that is only $500/month rent. I used to be paying $650 for a place that was only about 20 sq. ft. bigger.

When I had a hydro bill in that old place, I got a $85/month stipend to pay for power on top of what I get now. Seeing as power was only about $75/month, that put an extra $10 in my pocket.

Funny how excited you get to have $10 when your pocket is empty, eh?

BTW, the pizzas work out to $2.50/meal, which is *cheaper* than I can make even my chilli and soups. The burritos are my go-to breakfast for half the month (I really don't feel like cooking when I first get up.)

The Chef Boyardee? Well, those are junk food. No getting around that. But seeing as I don't buy chips and chocolate any more, I figure it is ok to treat myself to *something*.

Besides, I get tired of my freezer meals. To be honest, I get tired of *everything* I eat from time to time, because my options are pretty limited. I haven't had a steak in *years*. If it isn't ground, it doesn't go in the shopping basket -- not even turkey.

One of my other treats is insisting on real multi-grain bread.

I used to eat out all the time -- there were entire *months* where I didn't buy anything except coffee, sugar, and cream for the apartment. Nowadays, I just insist on having at least *one* meal out a month. (And places like A&W, Burger King, McDonald's, and Taco Time *count* as meals out. I target $10-15 for that meal out.)

I've done a lot of lifestyle adapting to live as comfortably as I do. And I *do* have close to $200/month for spending as I see fit; I'm not broke any more. I used to only have $50/month, but since I moved, I feel like I'm living like a king!

Thumbs Up/Down

Just pokin' at ya bro.
    I also insist on 100 whole grain bread, poopin' is so easy lol. My local store owner gets it for me (day old) for .98 a loaf so I can stock up. I avoid white bread except I like my wifes natural bakery french for toast.
    Anyway I logged in to tell you because of the pending mail strike CPP is out. Ours was in the bank (direct deposit) this morning.
    A treat for me is when yogurt and cottage cheese are on sale. I can eat those by the bucket. We don't however have any spending money 2-3 days after it arrives it "ALL GONE".

See Ya
    N
    Nohibition

Thumbs Up/Down

Me, I was just feeling bored and chatty. I'm on a bi-polar upswing so I tend to get rather talkative during those times.

You should have seen my "grocery" budget when I was still doing coke -- nothing but starches. Really, really crappy diet. I eat *much* better nowadays, especially since I was diagnosed with diabetes. Though "vegetables" for me usually means microwaved frozen mixed veggies rather than fresh. I've had a fair bit of fresh lately, though, because Mom has been dropping off stuff from the garden.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 266/0
    Given: 68/1

Quote Originally Posted by nohibition View Post
    Just pokin' at ya bro.
    I also insist on 100 whole grain bread, poopin' is so easy lol. My local store owner gets it for me (day old) for .98 a loaf so I can stock up. I avoid white bread except I like my wifes natural bakery french for toast.
    Anyway I logged in to tell you because of the pending mail strike CPP is out. Ours was in the bank (direct deposit) this morning.
    A treat for me is when yogurt and cottage cheese are on sale. I can eat those by the bucket. We don't however have any spending money 2-3 days after it arrives it "ALL GONE".

See Ya
    N
    Shoop, shoop; gotta.....

Thumbs Up/Down

31 hours to ordering time.

The postal strike is going to be limited to refusing to work overtime this week, so I *should* have my package by Friday. Whoop!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast