Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 65/0
    Given: 136/1

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Default Looking For A New Bong

I've been looking around for a new bong lately. I'm not the kind of person who sparks a joint and snubs it out after a few hits then re lights it later on to finish. I prefer the clean taste of un burned herb.

Not a big problem I know but, this should help me with keeping pain in check and still leaving me the ability to do some things during the day. I find if I roll a typical Raw 1 1/4 joint I can get to the pain alright I just can't get to much else for awhile after LOL.

I'd like a functional bong not a "pretty" one. The other issue I have is with a bong being dirty, it must be clean all the time. It goes back to fresh un burned herb vs smelly ash and taste of ash. I've hit many bongs and the more complex they are the worse they seem to be to keep clean.

I'm thinking straight tube that can be filled with some ice and none of those bubbler things up the tube. I have no idea what these actual names are of the different components in a bong so, I have to talk with someone who can explain them and why I may or may not need them.

As I'm looking online I see lots of measurements, 7mm etc, as well as ash catchers and other accessories. Is an ash catcher a good thing to add to any bong? I'm guessing this will help me keep the bong clean?

Anyone have an online store they could recommend? Or even a bricks and mortar place within Ontario? I'd appreciate the help or comments that could enlighten me as to what to look for or what to stay away from. Thanks.
    Help me stop DSS delicate soul syndrome. We need volunteers to hug and hold all the delicate souls until we can heal them. Help us today! You can make a difference in someone's life. Tell them the truth.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,036/0
    Given: 1,031/0

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Wish I could help ya out brother but I've always been a a meat and potatoes guy myself, roll one or load my pocket pipe. Since I've had so much trouble with my lungs the last year or so I've given up toking almost completely. Just coconut oil now. Got it down to a science (for me).

Be well
    N
    I fall upon the earth, and I am embraced. Water gives me life, and I spring forth into the light. My roots run deep into the earth, and I am nourished. With wind and water, light and earth, I conspire to ease your pain and heal your wounds, to bring you peace and calm your mind, to give you wisdom and truth of heart.
    I return to the earth and I am embraced.I am Cannabis
    Nohibition

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 884/0
    Given: 478/1

The internal bubblers are called percolators, and my experience with them in that 3 chambered percolator I posted pics of a few years ago is that they are very difficult to clean, so you are right to steer clear of them for your use.

You'll probably be happy with a smallish piece with a simple bowl along the lines of this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dirty.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	455.5 KB 
ID:	60719

Granted, of course, the stem and bowl are dirty because I switched bowls for the pic. Ignoring that, this style of glass bowl is easily cleanable and the round base makes it a small matter to swish salt and iso around without having to try to get into crevasses. For cleaning out the stem I use a cheap dollar store dental pick with the long curved end bent nearly straight so it can clean the walls of the stem with a twist of the handle.
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    Ceci n'est pas une signature du forum.
    Thank You for using S.h.a.d.i.m.a.r.: the world's most poorly coded chatbot.
    Substantially Humanlike Application Determined Insufficient Mediocre And Relatively annoying.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 271/0
    Given: 68/1

Toronto Hemp Co. have an online store;

http://torontohemp.com/collections/glass-water-pipes

as do The Friendly Stranger;

https://webshop.friendlystranger.com...75801c13177ffa

My wife has an Illadelph Beaker bong with ice notches in the stem, made from 9mm borosilicate glass. Relatively easy to clean, and we should have gotten an ash catcher to help keep it clean.

Thumbs Up/Down

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thanks for the replies and PM's too. I'm inclined to visit a couple of stores before I buy anything. I've been in THC a few times and they even offer a discount since I'm an old member of TCC a compassion club when I was first diagnosed back in 2007. I've heard about The Friendly Stranger they are or were a sponsor of Q107 fm Psychedelic Sunday's I listen to so maybe that's a great place to start.

Thanks again. I'll keep you posted once I get this all sorted.
    Help me stop DSS delicate soul syndrome. We need volunteers to hug and hold all the delicate souls until we can heal them. Help us today! You can make a difference in someone's life. Tell them the truth.

Thumbs Up/Down

I'm seeing 7mm and 9mm is this the glass thickness? Is thicker better? Obviously thicker would be heavier I'm guessing thicker is stronger less chance of breakage?

Thumbs Up/Down

That's the theory. Often they'll drop a 9 on the floor to show how robust they are; not something i'd try at home though. FWIW, my wife has had hers for a few years and other than a broken down stem and a slide, it's stood up to her ab/use. Orange Chronic works well as a cleaner.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 538/2
    Given: 315/0

Meh. Just get it over with. Say "I broke my bong" on your way out of the store with a new one, and accept that every day forth that it brings you tokes is a gift.
    I do not fail -- I succeed at finding out what does not work.

Thumbs Up/Down

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

****Update****

Well, we found this place http://thedragon.ca/ and decided to take a drive to the store and check out some of the gear. We found a young fella working there named Jordan and he really was a great person to talk with and get the answers we were looking for.

We were looking for functionality and easy clean up because I can't hit a dirty piece it has to be clean each time. We wanted to buy something we could easily add onto if we wanted later. It was important to get something that is "mainstream" for sizing this way we can add pieces as we go like a nail for dabs or the ash catcher which we bought that day.

We talked for awhile and Jordan knew his stuff. In the end we went with this piece from Sheldon Black. The ash catcher is from Cheech it will help keep the main piece cleaner. Jordan also sold us this cleaner called Grunge. He went on and on about how easy any piece is to clean with this stuff. Jordan also said the cleaner will last us 1 year as it's reusable.

So, there is the new bong what do you think? Oh, and we blew the budget. All I can say is what a hit off this thing man o man it is a beautiful feeling with the lungs filled from this piece.

Name:	Sheldon Black Piece.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	60743

Name:	Cheech Ash Catcher.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	73.4 KB 
ID:	60744

Thumbs Up/Down

Nice looking piece!

Thumbs Up/Down

Agreed

There's something about the Erlenmeyer shape as well, I've got one around the same height as the lab gear and bought it for that reason

The one thing I'd worry about though is difficulty cleaning the ash catcher as that's going to resin up first and the shape+screen will make cleaning more tedious. You might want to get in the habit of soaking it overnight.
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    Substantially Humanlike Application Determined Insufficient Mediocre And Relatively annoying.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 538/2
    Given: 315/0

Nice piece! Though I'd worry about breaking the stem off with the ash catcher if it were mine; I am *such* a klutz.
    I do not fail -- I succeed at finding out what does not work.

Thumbs Up/Down

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadimar View Post
    Agreed

There's something about the Erlenmeyer shape as well, I've got one around the same height as the lab gear and bought it for that reason

The one thing I'd worry about though is difficulty cleaning the ash catcher as that's going to resin up first and the shape+screen will make cleaning more tedious. You might want to get in the habit of soaking it overnight.
    Shad this stuff they sold us with it is just an amazing product. As I said I'm crazy nuts about hitting a clean piece each time we start a session. We play with it for an evening then the next morning it takes me 5 mins to clean it to original including the ash catcher. You pour this Grunge stuff in and whish it around for a couple seconds then pour it back into the bottle rinse and you are ready to go again.

Thumbs Up/Down

It sounds as though you're finding it superior to iso and salt
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by Shadimar View Post
    It sounds as though you're finding it superior to iso and salt
    That's how I cleaned my gear for the last idk how many years. I wasn't going to buy this product because that is my old standby for cleaning. I'm so glad I bought it. I pulled out this old glass piece from maybe 10 years ago it was left gunked up and real nasty smelling. I did what the guy said to try just pour it in swish around wait for 10 mins and swish around again and to my surprise it cleaned it as if it were never dirty in the first place.