Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 538/2
    Given: 315/0

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Default Almost moving time!

Next weekend I move to a new apartment -- a low-rental down the street that I applied for about 18 months ago (it takes up to three years to get in.) The rent is $95/month cheaper, laundry is included, and power is included. However, that means I lose the funding for laundry and power, so I'm only going to end up about $75/month ahead. Still, that is substantial amount of money for me -- about 30-40% more disposable income (I don't consider rent, utilities, and groceries to be "disposable.")

It is a little bit smaller than this place -- maybe 20 square feet smaller. But it is better organized, save for a lack of closet space. I'll have to buy a wardrobe as soon as I can afford it -- a 2-3 foot closet is no where *near* big enough for everything I keep on hangers. The parkas and coats will be on the floor until I can get a wardrobe (in a box, of course, not *on* the floor.)

The new place is arranged as four suites per building, two on each side with the laundry/furnace room in between. They're basically bachelor suites, except the kitchen is properly set off with a doorway, and they have a small store room/pantry. Each apartment has control over their own heat with a proper thermostat. I can't remember the last time I had a thermostat that I could set to *my* comfort level.

I'm really looking forward to this move. This is the first time since my 20's that I'll be moving because I *want* to rather than because I *have* to.
    I do not fail -- I succeed at finding out what does not work.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,036/0
    Given: 1,031/0

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Good luck in your new space groo.

N
    I fall upon the earth, and I am embraced. Water gives me life, and I spring forth into the light. My roots run deep into the earth, and I am nourished. With wind and water, light and earth, I conspire to ease your pain and heal your wounds, to bring you peace and calm your mind, to give you wisdom and truth of heart.
    I return to the earth and I am embraced.I am Cannabis
    Nohibition

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 881/0
    Given: 470/1

Good to hear you've got some good news, Groo
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    Ceci n'est pas une signature du forum.
    Thank You for using S.h.a.d.i.m.a.r.: the world's most poorly coded chatbot.
    Substantially Humanlike Application Determined Insufficient Mediocre And Relatively annoying.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 266/0
    Given: 68/1

Good to see some good luck coming your way, i hope the move goes well.

Thumbs Up/Down

Thanks, guys. Sometimes the best way to get what one wants is to just be real patient.

Which, as you know, is not my strong suit.

Thumbs Up/Down

In a week I'll be moved, but offline as I wait for the internet and phone to be hooked up Tuesday morning. I've got everything packed up except for the vape, the top of the desk, the dishes, the cutlery, and the coffee maker. Sunday is moving day; my cousin and his wife's truck are helping. I'll be treating him to KFC or pizza in payment. (Plus I gave him my old eLeaf TC40W eCig, though apparently he prefers the "stick" type eCigs, so he hasn't been using it.)

Speaking of eCigs, I only bought three large bottles of eJuice this month. I had intended to make it zero bottles, but I couldn't hack it. I've been without eJuice for almost two weeks, though, and only had five cigarettes in that time. Yeah, yeah, yeah -- I should have had zero cigarettes. Still, I'm doing better on the nicotine than I ever have before. When I move, I'm going to keep the new place as "non smoking" and make everyone go outside for cigarettes (I'll set up a folding table and kitchen chair for them out there, though -- plus it will be a place for me to sit and sip coffee on hot days when I don't want to be indoors.)

Thumbs Up/Down

Woohoo! I picked up the keys today, and moved my first "load" down the street. The "load" was only an office chair (with wheels) pushed along with a folding table, a box of stuff (I don't know what was in it), and my laser printer. The move has been rescheduled for Friday, with internet and phone hookup Friday morning.

I'm trying to make arrangements to borrow Dad's dolly. If he can drop it off tonight or tomorrow morning, I'll start hauling boxes down the street (it is only 4-5 blocks away.) With any luck, I'll have the closets cleaned out before Friday so that the only thing we need to move Friday afternoon is furniture and clothing.

I needed the chair and folding table at a minimum before Friday because I'm going to have to take my laptop and phone over to the new place and sit around Friday morning waiting for SaskTel to come hook up the phone and internet. I at least want something to set the laptop on and something to sit on while I wait. I'll be taking my portable hard drive, too, so I can at least watch some TV (probably some old MASH episodes. Though it isn't like there are any *new* MASH episodes. )

All of the address changes have been posted through websites or phoned in except for the hospital and my doctor's office, which will get updated the next time I see them. Even the rental housing supplement people let me get my address change done, though they need confirmation of the new address from SaskHealth's computers before they'll take the hold off my account, so I won't get my benefits until June 3rd instead of May 31st. I've let the new landlord know about the delay in paying the balance of the rent, but I'm told they're pretty cooperative about working around issues like that. We'll see if they call to complain when they get back into the office tomorrow.

Thumbs Up/Down

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Congrats

N
    I fall upon the earth, and I am embraced. Water gives me life, and I spring forth into the light. My roots run deep into the earth, and I am nourished. With wind and water, light and earth, I conspire to ease your pain and heal your wounds, to bring you peace and calm your mind, to give you wisdom and truth of heart.
    Nohibition

Thumbs Up/Down

Dad offered to drive over an SUV load tonight while he was dropping off the dolly, so over half my boxes have been moved and a big pile of clothes in bags.

It turns out there *is* a ceiling light in the bedroom area, so I can use the table lamp I bought for the "bedroom" in the living room area on my end table by the chair, which means I not only saved $60 buying a $100+ lamp on a "discontinued item" sale, I don't have to spend another $50+tax on a floor lamp for the living area, nor $5-10 for 7W CFLs for the reading light on the floor lamp.

While I was putting away boxes in the storage area, I noticed it has a 3-foot hanger rod, so I can use that to hang up my "off season" clothes and suits, and use the entry closet for my clothes and seasonal jacket/parka. That means I don't need to spend $50-200 on a clothes rack or wardrobe.

The counter on the west side of the kitchen is 5-6 feet wide, with a plug-in, so I can put my microwave there and pick up a toaster oven to put beside it. Seeing as I don't have to spend money on the extra lamp or clothes rack, I can pick up the toaster oven when I get my damage deposit back instead of having to wait until July.

I am one happy (but tired) camper tonight.

The only thing that could improve this evening would be a nice toke before I toddle off to bed.

Thumbs Up/Down

If all people could learn to appreciate those little pluses in life.

N
    Nohibition

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 658/0
    Given: 667/1

Congrats Groo!! Sounds like a good fit for you..
    Why drink and drive when you can smoke and fly

Thumbs Up/Down

Thanks, guys.

I've been in the new place since Wednesday night suffering from internet withdrawal. I just got back online less than an hour and a half ago, but I've been busy more with phone calls than with surfing so far.

One load of furniture to move in a few hours, and then all that remains is a Sunday of cleaning the old place so I can arrange a move-out inspection for Monday.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 12/0
    Given: 2/0

Sounds good Groo.

I'm missing the medpot crew. Boy would it be active with the Toronto antics. Going to Lift Expo this weekend, it should be lively

Thumbs Up/Down

The furniture got moved, but not a few odds and ends that will fit in the trunk and back seat of Mom's car or the back of Dad's SUV. Monday. In the meantime, it is only a few things that are easily moved around so I can go ahead and clean the old place.

But not today. Sunday.

Today is my nephew's high school graduation, and that will be taking all day, starting with a bath and a shave in another couple of hours, followed by church at 13h00, something at 15h00, supper at 18h00, grand march at 21h00, and a portion of the dance afterwards. Unfortunately, being high school kids, I expect the dance to be a serenade of hip-hop, rap, and country.

Shoot me now.

Thumbs Up/Down

♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    Substantially Humanlike Application Determined Insufficient Mediocre And Relatively annoying.

Thumbs Up/Down

Yes! This move is DONE!!!

I just got home from the move-out inspection and turning in the keys, and I will be getting my full damage deposit back. I even have a paper/document saying so.

(Shad, you realize I sat through that whole thing waiting for a punch line that never happened? )

Thumbs Up/Down

Congrats now you're in the groo-ve,

N
    Nohibition

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 213/0
    Given: 88/1

party at groo's staggered start ..... congrats groo

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by groo View Post
    (Shad, you realize I sat through that whole thing waiting for a punch line that never happened? )
    GASP!

Have I been mislead? Was that not actual live footage of a wild Groo at a graduation party mysteriously posted half a day before it happened?

I, for one, am as

☐ dissapointed
    ☑ shocked
    ☐ on fire

as you are and will do everything in my power to

☑ rectify the situation and/or event.
    ☐ erase the sex tape.
    ☐ attend your Wilford Brimley costume party.

Moving forward, I hope that in the future we can look past this unfortunate incident and

☐ invade Spain.
    ☑ simply ignore my faults.
    ☐ live a life of obscene luxury when I sell off my Enron stock.

I offer my

☐ meager
    ☐ inadequate
    ☐ legally obligated
    ☑ sincerest

apologies and assurances that said conflict, event or accidental launch will be funnier if ever repeated.
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪

Thumbs Up/Down

Well, things have gone well for so long they were bound to turn sour eventually. I just had to cancel my med order this month in order to pay the power bill. Unfortunately I might not get the damage deposit back until the 15th, and I can't put off the power bill that late.

Ah well. Such is life. At least happier times are around the corner.

And it *is* the only thing that has gone wrong today, so there is that.

Thumbs Up/Down

Mail coming soon, should lick stamp tomorrow.

N
    Nohibition

Thumbs Up/Down

I'll bet you beat my damage deposit here.

One cool thing about the community mailboxes is that if it doesn't fit in your regular mail box, they can put parcels in a bigger bin and leave you the bin key in your mailbox instead of making you go downtown to get it. Not that I'm expecting any packages that big any time in the near future, but it might come in handy when they ship my keyboard back from its repairs. Mind you, NCIX usually uses Purolator, so it wouldn't go in a mailbox at all.

Thumbs Up/Down

Only three more boxes to finish unpacking, each of them only about 1/4-1/3 full. But boy oh boy is it tight in here. I just *barely* fit with my stuff.

It is a particularly good thing I don't need a wardrobe, because there is no wall space to set it against. All my walls are full.

I'm not even sure I'll be able to buy a recliner after all -- it would be a very tight fit to squeeze one in. But I really, really *want* one, so I'll MAKE one fit. It just isn't going to be a super-wide-armed luxury liner.

Thumbs Up/Down

Have you considered investing in a TARDIS?

It seems to be working out rather well for that British fellow on the BBC.
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪

Thumbs Up/Down

Not really. I've been having too much trouble getting the Dalek to plunge my toilet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast