Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Round 5

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 538/2
    Given: 315/0

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Default Round 5

Rounds 3 and 4 were a bust.

But I set those six feminized beans to germinate about half an hour ago, and they're all reputable brands like Dinafem, DNA, and G13 Labs. Very nice gear. I'll have to do my best to live up to it.

So in that vein I mixed up enough of the CIL Myco-supplemented soil mix (it has perlite and stuff as it turns out, very nice light bodied stuff) with most of what I had left for peat moss. The result is nice and light when dry, and is thoroughly blended with some water. I filled six 4-inch pots on the presumption that all these beans will crack.

Hey, when I'm having what seems to be a streak of good luck and fortune, I try to *enjoy* it -- such days are all too rare!

Rockin' out to the Stones...
    I do not fail -- I succeed at finding out what does not work.

Thumbs Up/Down

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

The first to be potted is a G13 Labs "Gigabud." That was followed up by a G13 Labs "White Lavendar" and a "White Widow." The "OG Kush" has cracked as well. All feminized to boot.
    Last edited by groo; 10-05-2014 at 10:56 PM.

Thumbs Up/Down

The DNA "Shark's Breath" has cracked as well. That leaves the DNA "Rock Lock" to go.

I just went through what's left of my gift pack. There are 21 more feminized beans, and a dozen or so regular beans. So if I grow out 4 feminized and two random shots in future cycles, that would give me five more cycles to go from this gift alone. I feel so grateful right now for the gift. It had to cost a pretty penny unless the giver runs a seed bank or shop (I don't know what they do for a living.)
    Last edited by groo; 10-06-2014 at 04:26 AM.

Seedling

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 206/0
    Given: 694/1

dam thats love right ther bro
    def sounds like a nice gift indeed
    some nice smoke right ther for shure
    iv never grone any fems and theyve allways interesed me
    just not in the budget lol
    cant wait to c how they come out
    hay gro iv got a bunch of leaf from just pulling off suckers to let light in
    i wish i could get em to u
    to give u somthing to vape wilz u wait 4 yours lol
    i to hate the waiting for them to ripen up
    iv got 7 weeks left on my grrow so i know how it is bro
    but i dont get anything out of leaf so i dont smoke it or vape it
    no enuff thc 4 me lol
    so it piles up
    hay gro do fems throw nanners a lot ?
    its wat iv heard so they have allways made me wounder bout em?
    any way good luck this round bro
    ill keep en eye on your progress
    are ther gunna b any pic,s
    id love to c how the fems do ?
    ok good luck bro

Thumbs Up/Down

This is the first time I'll be growing fems. I don't believe in the "hermies" mythology -- any plant can produce hermies, and the fems are *forced* to hermie chemically. It's like getting hormones for a sex change operation.

The last of them cracked and was just potted, the DNA "Rocklock". That one has a very thick hull on it -- it swelled up to a *huge* size before it built up enough pressure to crack the hull and put out a tail. And that's the one I have the most hope for medically, as it brings together Kush and Warlock genetics, both of which are good for migraines.

Thumbs Up/Down

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I sure hope I didn't kill off the "White Lavendar". When I potted it, I forgot to cover it! (I was kind of stoned at the time, to paraphrase Pink Floyd.) Fortunately the root tip was still white and healthy looking instead of shrivelled and dried, so there is a good chance of survival.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 884/0
    Given: 478/1

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

The main reason for the hermies is likely that seed growers were using reversed plants to also host seeds rather than disposing of them once the pollen had been dropped. The other purely female clones would still produce seeds that were fine but the females that had been reversed should not be used for seed production.

To elaborate a bit, I've made fems and had separated them into two batches. One of which was very, very reliable with the odd male now and then and the other which produced plants ranging from female to some with nanners to full 50/50 hermies.

The only difference really was that the pollen source seeded itself as well while its clone remained unstressed and produced more reliable (albeit bland-ish) plants.

b0b had also put forth his theory that CS is superior to STS as far as resulting beans are considered, and I'm sure both are considered superior to gibberelic acid and rodelization or light stress especially.
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    Ceci n'est pas une signature du forum.
    Thank You for using S.h.a.d.i.m.a.r.: the world's most poorly coded chatbot.
    Substantially Humanlike Application Determined Insufficient Mediocre And Relatively annoying.

Thumbs Up/Down

I never even thought of using the reversed plants to produce seeds. That would cause a problem. Those plants are stressed to hell by the reversing process. And I was only thinking of the colloidal silver process, not using light-stress. Anything that can hermie under light stress is a bad parent in my books.

On the good news side, the G13 Labs "Gigabud" has shown. *rubbing hands with glee and cackling fiendishly*

Oh, oh, oh, Mistah Kottah, Mistah Kottah! There comes the "OG Kush!"

This soil is working out *much* better than the last batch. Watering less often may be helping as well, but the big problem with the old soil is it turned into clay-like smothering mud when wet, and concrete hard crap when dry.
    Last edited by groo; 10-07-2014 at 06:30 PM.

Thumbs Up/Down

Whoop! It looks like that G13 Labs "White Lavendar" I forgot to cover made it after all -- she's up and grinnin'

And there comes the "White Widow". Man oh MAN but these are some hearty genetics.
    Last edited by groo; 10-08-2014 at 12:14 AM.

Thumbs Up/Down

I spoke too soon on the "White Widow". It didn't show -- it pushed itself out of the ground without taking root. I've replanted it and hope it recovers, but the root tip looked a little shrivelled, unlike when I'd done the same with the "White Lavendar", so I'm not nearly as hopeful of recovery. Ah well, time will tell -- and now I know to bury my beans a little deeper than I have been. (I've only been burying them about half an inch -- I'll bump that to more like three quarters of an inch.)

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 884/0
    Given: 478/1

I plant mine rather shallow, every now and then I have to rebury one but my pre-germ in cloth method involves planting all of them so it's not a major issue.

It does however remind me of a not-so-funny joke from Mouse on the Mayflower where the mouse drops a seed into the ground, his new Native American friend grabs it back out from the hole and re-drops in back in, saying "it was upside down".
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    Ceci n'est pas une signature du forum.
    Thank You for using S.h.a.d.i.m.a.r.: the world's most poorly coded chatbot.
    Substantially Humanlike Application Determined Insufficient Mediocre And Relatively annoying.

Thumbs Up/Down

*LMAO* Yeah, right...

The DNA "Rocklock" has shown itself. I'm glad to see this one, as it's pretty much guaranteed to be great migraine meds, bringing together two of the most effective meds I've had: Kush and Warlock.

Thumbs Up/Down

The "Sharksbreath" is up. That leaves the White Widow to go.

Way back in the day when I used to grow, I was only growing out 4 plants at a time. If I get similar yields, that will leave me about 3 weeks short of getting through a full cycle with 4 plants. So with 5 I should just barely be able to keep myself medicated from harvest to the next cycle. Six would be a bit of a bonus.

But I used to grow in soilless with AN and other high quality nute systems. I'm not at all comfortable that I'm going to get similar yields out of soil and CFLs. Time will tell.

I suppose I should shop around for a scale in the next month or so, too, but that's not a high priority for me. November I pay for the accoutrements for the fan, and December is Christmas gifts, so the earliest I have "spare money" again is January -- which is also a GST month. And keep in mind that I'm *supposed* to be saving for an air conditioner for next year; I figure at minimum I'll squirrel away my January GST money towards that. Hopefully with an extra $40 tucked in to bring it up to a nice even $200 "deposit" with the folks for them to hold on to for me (I'll have to leverage their credit card to place the order for the AC unit anyhow, so having them hold on to the cash only makes sense. If *I* have it I'll *spend* it.)

Thumbs Up/Down

Still no action from that "White Widow". I think it got too dry when it was out of the soil and committed suicide.

The "Rock Lock" isn't doing very well. It had a rough time getting out of that hard seed coat so I had to help it along. Hopefully now it'll be able to unfurl some seed leaves. It's not like it's the only genetic that needs help -- Blueberry is notorious for needing help with it's tough seed coat to get going.

Thumbs Up/Down

I (carefully!) dug to see if there was any action from the "White Widow" underground, and discovered that it's been busy putting out a long root. It's definitely not dead, but it's taking it's time showing. So I covered it back up lightly, watered everything, and will just have to have a little patience. But I'm expecting that any day now the "White Widow" will show itself. It is NOT "pining for the fjords".

Oh, wait, "pining for the fjords" was a line from the salesman in the parrot sketch. Maybe it IS pining for the fjords.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 179/1
    Given: 151/0

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

groo send me your scissors or what ever it is you keep snipping your plants with and you will make it..really i hope to see a pic of jars full of meds you can do this my friend i got faith in ya migraines suck but you can do this winter is coming on and you will need them meds for your head aches incase things go south send me a message in February peace and happy harvesting..
    Life is too valuable, easy does it..

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,036/0
    Given: 1,031/0

I still maintain that you should set the organics aside for two runs until you can put meds on the shelf. Then you have a happy patient medicated, grooster with no pressure. You're putting your self through hell brother. These are the meds you need, failure is not an option. Just two KISS grows and you can be ahead of the game. Then you can relax and groo some organics.

Thinking about you brother.

N
    I fall upon the earth, and I am embraced. Water gives me life, and I spring forth into the light. My roots run deep into the earth, and I am nourished. With wind and water, light and earth, I conspire to ease your pain and heal your wounds, to bring you peace and calm your mind, to give you wisdom and truth of heart.
    I return to the earth and I am embraced.I am Cannabis
    Nohibition

Thumbs Up/Down

Ah, and there comes the "White Widow". They're all up now. Woohoo!

I don't like chemical ferts -- they're too strong and tend to burn plants. I'll stick with the organic tomato food I've been using. The plants have been happy; it's *me* that's been the problem for them, not the ferts.

The only other problem I had was that shitty soil that I tossed into my backyard veggie garden. Don't buy the 3-in-1 crap. It's junk. Stick with reputable brands of potting soil/mix.

Some people would rather blend their own mix from raw components, but I think they're after creating a blend that doesn't have to be supplemented as time goes by. That would require bigger pots than I have room for, so I'll stick with the occasional feeding of dissolved organic nutes, sort of a hybrid between soil and hydro if you will.

Thumbs Up/Down

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

If it ain't broke...
    For me organic is way too costly and complicated, it makes my thinker hurt.
    I should be putting some beans in pretty quick myself, 2 DPK, 2 G31 and 2 TS.
    Keep at it groo, you'll be surrounded by tall (well sorta tall) ladies, with big tight buds and...oh sorry, my mind tends to wander sometimes, well almost always...G31 will do that to you heh, heh, heh.
    Name:  smoking_a_joint-408.gif
Views: 70
Size:  19.3 KB

Be well amigo

N
    I fall upon the earth, and I am embraced. Water gives me life, and I spring forth into the light. My roots run deep into the earth, and I am nourished. With wind and water, light and earth, I conspire to ease your pain and heal your wounds, to bring you peace and calm your mind, to give you wisdom and truth of heart.
    Nohibition

Thumbs Up/Down

Well, to be fair, I'm not doing a "real" organic, just buying pre-mixed organic ferts and using those. I have to admit, reading about BOG's soil mix and others out there make my head spin. They use so many different components it would cost an arm and a leg! I'm sure they work just great (especially based on the BOG pics out there), but man -- it sure isn't *simple* like what I do.

All I do is start with a good quality potting soil, use that straight up for seedlings in the 4-inch pots, and then when I'm transplanting, I supplement the soil with a couple of soup spoons of the "Green Earth" organic tomato ferts while transplanting to the 8-inch pots (mixed in to the new soil.) After I'm a week or so into flowering (or if there are signs of deficiency), I start blending a soup spoon of the same organic ferts into the gallon and a half or so of water I use to "feed" them a little about once a week. I also add in half a soupspoon of epsom salts to that watering.

That's it. No rocket science here. The only "science" involved is mixing up daylight white and soft white bulbs (about 4 daylights and 12 soft in full flower, just the daylights for seedlings, and a 50-50 mix for most of veg.) Even that is mainly due to advice you and others have given here.

I discovered something new to me just a few minutes ago. I wanted to check on the "Rocklock"'s progress, and noticed that it seemed to have a whitish coating on one side, and the seed leaves *still* hadn't separated. So I squeezed it a bit to help the seed leaves separate from each other, and a whitish shell popped off one side. To me, it looks like it was some sort of *inner* seed coat, because the main hard brown coat had been removed yesterday. Maybe it's normal for beans to have two layers to the hull, but I've never noticed such a thing before.

Maybe our resident experts have seen something like that before and can comment. I know I wasn't seeing things -- the whitish "hull" landed in the pot rather than flying off, so I know I wasn't imagining things.

Regardless, the two halves of it's seed leaves are now separated and under the whitish coat, they were a healthy green. So I'm pretty confident that it'll recover and keep up with the last to show (the "White Widow") and produce some fine meds in due time.

I'm going to count tomorrow as the end of the seedling stage and the start of veg, as most of them have started to put out a little bit of real leaf. They're barely visible, but there are definitely leaf buds starting to form next to the seed leaves.

Thumbs Up/Down

I would imagine that the whitish inner "stuff" is what supplies your seedling with nourishment and by the time the husk is shed it's pretty much used up and the roots are now providing nourishment. Name:  i_dont_know-842.gif
Views: 74
Size:  33.3 KB

I have a dental pick that I use to check these problems with, very carefully. There are times when the husk just won't give it up and they need a little help.
    The other thing to consider is it's a multi strain grow and all strains or phenos for that matter do not behave the same. When I have TS in with DPK they don't like the same mix, that's why I don't use a rez. When one strain needs to be adjusted I use a syringe to measure what I add and keep record of what happens. Next grow I have an improved recipe. When I put in my next run I have the journal and just keep tweeking as I go. One day when I'm all growed up I'll get it bang on. For now I don't know what I don't know, but when I find out...

N
    Nohibition

Thumbs Up/Down

Hmm. Could be. But I thought the nutrients were in the "fat" of the seed leaves themselves. I can't say that I remember my high school biology all that well after all these years. But regardless, it's doing well as of the last check of the day.

And I don't know why I said the real leaves were just starting to show -- the first to have popped has 3/8 long leaves already. It's the Rocklock and the White Widow that are just start to show real leaves. (Figure that -- they both just spread their seed leaves tonight, and they're *already* aggressively working on real growth. Sweet!)

Thumbs Up/Down

As the Dinafem website is back up, I was able to confirm that they're the provider of the "OG Kush" feminized.

Thumbs Up/Down

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

They're about as wee as wee can be, but here they are:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141010-Round5-Seedlings.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	483.1 KB 
ID:	60545

Thumbs Up/Down

There ya go groo. You're off and running...again. Be patient and you will be rewarded plenty bro. They look like they're off to a good start and it sounds like you have some solid strains for your migraines. Let nature do it's share of the work.

N
    Nohibition

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast