Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Round #3: Grow!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 179/1
    Given: 151/0

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

well i know what your going threw i remember back when i first starting growing my plants didnt even make it a month in veg i chopped with excitement because i was told if i hang plants upside down the drug would run from the roots into the plant and i was set ..well i know your a experience grower and not your first rodeo ..and suffer migraines groo but its hard to not chop knowing that this plant can give us the relief we need .. i just know some day you will make it threw a full grow and have a jar full of meds..keep growing groo what ever happens i got faith in ya my brotha..never give up..hope you get relief soon from them dang migraines peace my friend and happy harvesting..
    Life is too valuable, easy does it..

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,036/0
    Given: 1,031/0

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I have to agree with Jam. I don't know how often I've walked around with and empty puffer in my pocket trying to convince myself it would help. When I have asthma issues I will try anything to get the air moving again...even an empty puffer. So cutting your girls down in a frantic effort to get relief is easy to understand. Wish I had some surplus to send you but I have to repay the meds friends supplied when our jars where empty.

Good luck brother, hang in and don't stop trying.

N
    I fall upon the earth, and I am embraced. Water gives me life, and I spring forth into the light. My roots run deep into the earth, and I am nourished. With wind and water, light and earth, I conspire to ease your pain and heal your wounds, to bring you peace and calm your mind, to give you wisdom and truth of heart.
    I return to the earth and I am embraced.I am Cannabis
    Nohibition

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 538/2
    Given: 315/0

Well, I *do* resemble a grub -- pasty white and round.

Not having much luck this go-round. Two more look like they're shriveled under the lights, and the other three haven't shown yet (it's been almost 5 days -- they *should* have shown by now -- they *had* germinated.)

My guess is there were probably some insect eggs in the peat moss I used, seeing as that wasn't sterilized.

However, I am a stubborn MoFo, so I set the last of the free beans I got down to germinate. But I don't have much hope for them -- they're the same age as the PUxWW beans had been, and 0 of those had cracked. Still, I do NOT want to try the expensive Warlock beans yet. Those are going to be a once-in-a-lifetime grow, and I want to make sure I've got my technique (if you can call it that) down pat before I give them a grow.

There is one NL that seems to be doing ok. It's healthy and green and putting out real leaves.

I'll be throwing the rest of the soil that was mixed with that peat moss into the veggie garden shortly. I don't trust it not to have more worms/grubs.

Maybe I'll order some of the NLxK beans from Peak this payday if these old beans don't crack, and scrap the NL. No point paying for all that power for *one* plant.
    I do not fail -- I succeed at finding out what does not work.

Thumbs Up/Down

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Good news. After I cut the lights down to 4 from 8, one of the two wilted ones that I thought had died perked up and seems to be putting out it's first leaves. They're only a millimeter long, and it never did spread out it's seed leaves, but I don't think it's dead. The other one, though, had been shrivelled and brown so I'd tossed it.

Another one of the Mix beans is peeking out of the soil, and struggling mightily to free itself from the seed coat. The NL that I'd mentioned is unfurling real leaves with great gusto now that it's not light stressed.

So I've got at least three of the first batch of beans that look like they're going to make it. I'll wait a few more days before I give up on the other Mix beans -- they were the last to be potted and will of course be the last to show, if they show.

On a side note, I heard from a new friend recently. I'd thought maybe he was avoiding me because of a spat between another friend of mine and someone my new buddy knows, but it turns out he's been in the hospital for a while and offline. It's a great relief to hear from him -- I hate getting "caught in the middle" in fights between people I know and people I've nothing to do with. As the old Polish saying goes: "Not my circus; Not my monkeys"

Thumbs Up/Down

*mutter* *grumble* *gripe* *curse-like-sailor*

They're all dead.

When I investigated, every single one of them was munched.

I'll be tossing this soil and going back to Premier potting mix. This stuff had been on sale and was supposed to be sterilized, but between the number I lost on the first round with it and with losing *all* of them this go-round, it's clearly not sterilized worth shit.

No signs of life from the beans I put down anyhow. Not that I'd expect them to survive the worms even if they did germinate. (They're old beans from '08.)

I guess at the end of the month I'll pick up some Premiere, order some Peak NLxK, and wait for those to come in before making another attempt.

There is no way in hell I'm taking a chance on the uber-expensive Warlock beans I was gifted until I get a successful grow done with *cheap* or *free* beans.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 884/0
    Given: 478/1

You could steam a bit in an oven, if you've got one in your apartment, to start beans or even a small bale of dehydrated peat moss which would hopefully be free of higher pests by default as they wouldn't survive the dessication. Sphagnum may be dried with heat which would also increase the chance of sterilization as a byproduct of the drying process.
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    Ceci n'est pas une signature du forum.
    Thank You for using S.h.a.d.i.m.a.r.: the world's most poorly coded chatbot.
    Substantially Humanlike Application Determined Insufficient Mediocre And Relatively annoying.

Thumbs Up/Down

Well, it's good to know for the future, but so far my remaining beans aren't doing a damned thing. Mind you they've only been set to germ two days ago, so I haven't given up all hope quite yet.

But this was a $3 bag of soil (plus tax -- another $0.30 *LOL*), so I'm not too peeved at tossing it. I'd rather toss it than futz with it, unless the beans I have set down end up germinating.

I had much better luck with the Premiere soil. That stuff was clean.

I guess that's why people develop "favourite brands" and don't muck with unknowns. You can get burned by even something so trivial as "cheap" soil.

I gotta tell you, I was freakin' *ticked* to dig through the soil and find worm-munched remnants in *every* pot -- even the NL that had come up had it's stem eaten.

Thumbs Up/Down

Oh, don't use dirt, Groo.

Use potting mix.
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    Substantially Humanlike Application Determined Insufficient Mediocre And Relatively annoying.

Thumbs Up/Down

This stuff is a 3-in-1 blend of compost, peat moss, and topsoil. I'm guessing it's the compost component that has the worm eggs in it.

The beans are cracking, and I can't afford to buy potting mix until the end of the month, so I just put a big cookie sheet piled 2-3 inches high with the stuff in a 300F oven. I'll leave it there for an hour to an hour and a half, then take it out to let it cool while I get some sleep.

After all, one wouldn't want to put germed beans in "hot" soil.

Both of these sets of beans are white widow crosses. I've found WW quite helpful for migraines, so they should be good stuff.

With any luck I'm doing the right thing to sterilize the soil. If that's not hot enough or not long enough, *please* let me know ASAP because I expect to be doing the potting of the cracked beans when I get up in the morning. I'll check for messages before I pot them, though, just in case.

Thumbs Up/Down

Just curious, why not germ in jiffy pucks?

N
    I fall upon the earth, and I am embraced. Water gives me life, and I spring forth into the light. My roots run deep into the earth, and I am nourished. With wind and water, light and earth, I conspire to ease your pain and heal your wounds, to bring you peace and calm your mind, to give you wisdom and truth of heart.
    Nohibition

Thumbs Up/Down

Mainly because I've never used a Jiffy Puck for anything so I'm not familiar with them. Dirt -- that I've used.

Seeing as I wasn't getting replies and I was up anyhow working on the computer, I ended up roasting the stuff in a 325F oven for just shy of 3 hours. Sterilization requires raising the temperature above boiling point for at least 20 minutes, and I'm pretty sure the whole thing was heated to well over 220F through and through by that time for probably more like an hour.

It's in the mixing tub soaking up some water right now. It was thoroughly, thoroughly dessicated when I put it in there.

Thumbs Up/Down

Jiffy pucks are cheap and clean. I pay 4.99 for 36. No messing around, they're just compressed peat, you drop in water, they swell up and you pop your germed seed in. Never, ever had any issues with them. Check them out on line.

N
    Nohibition

Thumbs Up/Down

As of the wee hours of this morning I had eight germed beans potted. There are another three in the paper towels between the plates, but it's been four days so I doubt they're going to crack. Fortunately the white widow crosses did all crack -- I've had a fair bit of success treating migraines with WW strains in the past. Not as good as with a Kush, but that's partially due to the harvest (a late harvest with high CBN works better for migraines.)

The Jiffy Pucks wouldn't have saved my seedlings -- the stems/roots got munched. Even bigger plants can be eaten by insects and grubs.

But I'll be sticking with the "Premiere" potting mix in the future. It's cheap and it's clean. Even then, I might get in the habit of "roasting" my soil before use *all* the time. Once I get burned by a problem, I tend to get a tad paranoid about it...

Thumbs Up/Down

No wonder they haven't shown yet. Today is only the third day since the first of them were potted -- they usually take 4-5 days to show. I thought it had been longer. I've been so busy the past few days it seems like an eternity of things have happened since I potted them.

Thumbs Up/Down

Day four and still no Action from Jackson.

I have to wonder if I'm overwatering or something? I give them a soup spoon of water each day to keep the topsoil moist and flexible -- this stuff turns like concrete if it's allowed to dry out completely, so they wouldn't be able to push through it.

Ah well, keep waiting, I guess. There's not much else I can do.

Thumbs Up/Down

>>>Sphagnum peat moss<<<

*Cough*

I'm sorry, Groo. Did you say something?

♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪

Seedling

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 217/1
    Given: 330/9

Quote Originally Posted by Shadimar View Post
    >>>Sphagnum peat moss<<<

*Cough*

I'm sorry, Groo. Did you say something?

I will second Shad's notion on the sphagnum peat moss.

You will love it, Groo.

Thumbs Up/Down

I usually add peat moss. I was out. *sigh*

It's not even month end, but once the rent is paid I'll have $20 in the pocket to go for lunch with a buddy of mine later in the month. I bought a lot of stuff this month, but the beans had to be potted a couple days before my money came in.

I *did* pick up some more potting soil. They didn't have any of the "Premiere" in stock, so I gave some CIL a shot that is enriched with myco supplements. I like myco -- it's the one additive that I tried all those years ago that made a *visible* difference in plant health and a *measurable* difference in yield.

More beans are on the way if these don't show. The CIL feels (in the unopened bag) like a much looser and airier blend, so I'm sure it would be better for potting beans. Plus if it's loose and airy I don't *need* to water every day (even a little) so that would prevent any potential risks of overwatering/rotting.

Still, at this point I'm sitting at 0/8 having come up. I've *never* had results that bad in my *life*! I sure hope my fortunes change in the next day or two.

Thumbs Up/Down

Mycorrhiza are a root system's best friend

If you give them organic feed, look for nutrients that are fortified with beneficial microbial colonies to ensure that the new plants are constantly colonized and the organics are chealated.

You can grow in straight moss as well, Groo. A little perlite and vermiculite for flavour and if you like you can mix it half and half with ProMix etc.

I *did* pick up some more potting soil.
    Potting "soil" is dirt, "mix" tends to be something airier like peat and more increasingly semi-composted sawdust and bark as well.
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪

Seedling

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 217/1
    Given: 330/9

Quote Originally Posted by Shadimar View Post
    Mycorrhiza are a root system's best friend

If you give them organic feed, look for nutrients that are fortified with beneficial microbial colonies to ensure that the new plants are constantly colonized and the organics are chealated.

You can grow in straight moss as well, Groo. A little perlite and vermiculite for flavour and if you like you can mix it half and half with ProMix etc.

Potting "soil" is dirt, "mix" tends to be something airier like peat and more increasingly semi-composted sawdust and bark as well.
    The biggest "game changer" for me has been mychorizae. Humus is another great companion to the myco, the powdered stuff.

I always add myco to my starter soil.

Advanced Nutrients Piranha and Tarantula work absolute wonders. I always use these at the weekly rate and everything has changed since
    I have done so.

If you can source coco coir blocks by the brand Nutrifield, grab yourself some. It is the best, hands down. Cheap and I have found it to be better then
    the bags. If you amend your soil with a decent coir, spaghnum moss, and perlite, you will hopefully have better results.

If you can get diatomite rocks I think you should get some s it sounds like you have some ruthless insects.

I have found MT's posts about using myco quite enlightening, especially the ones about transplanting using myco on the
    roo ball.

I really hope that these work out for you!

Thumbs Up/Down

The bag says "potting soil", not "potting mix." I always thought "potting" was the key thing to look for. My bad.

Ah well, I'll just have to muddle along as best I can -- this month's cash is gone, gone, gone. *LOL* Yep, I'm usually broke *before* the 1st.

Seedling

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 206/0
    Given: 694/1

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

here 2 bro
    i had to wait 2 monts for a 9 dollar peace of panda paper lol
    and i to am broke allready and its not even the first
    so im getto grow the hole way lol
    shit i couldent bye a fan my room got to hot to flower in
    so i waited 2 monts trying to get a fan finly got it
    and had to bring it back for gas money
    thank god 4 jam
    sent me an in line fan and it works grate (from about 6 states awey )thank u bro
    so thanks to my ty fam im 12 12in now
    but yah def know were u are comming from and fell 4 u bro

Thumbs Up/Down

Money on third last working day of month, pay the bills, fill the pantry, put some gas in my truck and try to sit on some daily milk money.
    I found a company that makes plastic containers not too far from home and their walk in price is pretty much the same as hydro shops for 20 L black buckets with lids. Waited all month to go pick some up but alas there was too much month left at the end of our money. Oh well they've been there for years I'm sure it will happen sooner or later. On the other hand I'm fortunate enough to have a home, food, heat and transportation and even though my yields suck I have meds so I'm not in a position to complain (but I do). Shit I really wanted those buckets however my son bought me 10 home depot buckets and I've been told they are fine because there's no UV penetration...Name:  i_dont_know-842.gif
Views: 31
Size:  33.3 KB

Anyway our luck is not all bad my friends. We have so much more than many others.

Peace

N
    Nohibition

Thumbs Up/Down

Personally I consider myself to be quite fortunate. The bills are paid, there is food in the fridge and freezer, and I always end up buying *something* I want/need each month that isn't just "basic" living expenses. Sure it takes me a fair bit longer to get where I'm going than it did when I was working, but I *do* get there -- eventually.

Seedling

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 206/0
    Given: 694/1

i know i will b ok but some tyms its hard to c anything posotive
    im in a bad spot
    out of meds
    having a ton of pain
    have 7 pluse weeks befor i can harvest anything to make life better lol
    my false hips falling apart literly
    im having total hip riveshon on dec 16
    im tryin to get meds in the jar for the long recovery
    but 8 weeks seems like a life tym when your in pain with no end in site
    iv been tryin to smoke-vape wat ever i prune off but it dosent realy help
    being in fl sucks
    i cant afford to by mj
    and when i can get anything its top price and bottom barel shwag
    i think im gunna snap
    i need to smoke
    sorry 4 the rant
    ill shut up sorry for high jackin
    any bodie have any extra scraps to help out a man down on his luck ?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast