Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Round #3: Grow!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 538/2
    Given: 315/0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Default Round #3: Grow!

I was gifted a nice little stash of beans recently, including 7 potentially feminized Kush beans (there were 3 males out of a 30-plant grow-out.) So I topped that off with another couple of non-potentially-feminized Kush beans from the same gift, and have 9 in total set to germinate tonight.

This time I made sure I bought *sterilized* soil to try to eliminate the fungus gnat problem at the source (if I still have them, then I'll know it's the steer manure that's the culprit.) This soil is a blend of loam, peat, and compost rather than just topsoil. So I'll enrich it with about a 4 or 5 to one ratio with the steer manure, and skip the peat moss this time (not that I have much peat left anyhow.)

I'll also be adding about a tablespoon of diatamaceous earth per 2 cups of soil mix, as I've been told that adds micronutrients to the soil and also can help kill off fungus gnat larvae before they emerge.

I may have to give this cycle some extra veg time due to the heat in here, which may stunt growth. It depends on how hot August is. But the heat from the 8 bulbs during veg is minimal (though noticeable), so I'll be able to rely on my duct-fan venting system to keep the cabinet cool instead of having to leave the door open all day as I've had to for flowering with the full 16 bulbs going.

Next month I intend to buy a Vortex fan that moves over 3 times as much air as the duct fan I have now, and possibly a fan speed controller -- I haven't decided for sure about the fan speed controller, although I'm leaning heavily in that direction (I can afford it next month after all, so I figure better to get it now than find out I need it later and have to pay an extra shipping charge.)

Kush genetics tend to be very, very, VERY good for migraines, especially Hindu Kush and Regina's Purple Kush (I'm not sure whether it's *the* purple kush that's around there or just a kush that happens to have some purple colouration to it.)

I just need to stop "pinching" and "pruning" my plants to death before harvest. I'm my own worst enemy, unfortunately. I've promised myself to behave this time, seeing as I should get an excellent female:male ratio out of this batch of beans, so it'll be well worth the time of letting them flower to maturity unlike the paltry 2-3 plants I'd had the last couple of attempts.

My thanks again to the bean donor, who shall remain anonymous (unless they choose to speak up, of course.)
    I do not fail -- I succeed at finding out what does not work.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 179/1
    Given: 151/0

let them finish groo..reward yourself for all the work you put into them..i know its hard but i got faith in ya peace and happy growing..
    Life is too valuable, easy does it..

Thumbs Up/Down

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

The two regular Kush beans have popped and been potted.

The potentially-feminized ones are very swollen, but not cracked yet. They're showing white seams, though, so they should crack soon.

The potentially-feminized ones are dark and healthy, but very small beans. Still, my buddy hadn't mentioned any problems germinating them so I don't expect issues, either.

Thumbs Up/Down

One of the potentially-feminized beans has germinated and been potted.

That leaves six more to go.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 102/0
    Given: 224/0

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

hey groo, i seem to have fungus gnats here too, that would explain my some of my seedlings just stopped growing..i thinking i lost the herijuana

are you sure you are not over watering ? i was and thats how i attracted them i think, so now im leting them dry up completley between watering/feeding , im also going to put 1/4-1/2 inch sand on top of every pot.. they hate dry.. it kills them off.. you can also put tape around the top of each pot, sticky side out to catch the crawlers for the fliers i put apple cider vinegar in a small tuperware covered with tinfoil and holes poked threw the tinfoil, there's dead ones in there , it attracts them..also a yellow 4x6 piece of cardboard covered in Vaseline will work as a sticky trap... the diatimacous earth will help to but i think it may need to be applied as top dressing?? dont quote me on that..
    im so far from town some days i need to come up with home remedies to fight back, sure saves monies , especially living on disabilty ...every bit helps..

ps.. ewc/compost tea sprayed on them also fights criters/mould/etc..

peace groo .. good luck to ya..

sorry for the grammar, but you know how i am.. hehe
    Its a known fact if you vaporize a mite his soul becomes yours ...

Thumbs Up/Down

Either the soil I had been using or the manure I still have is infested with fungus gnat eggs -- that's how I "got" them.

I no longer top-water, but bottom feed, so the top layer of soil is *always* dry, and that helped.

This go round I've picked up some diatamaceous earth as recommended, and will be blending that in at about 1 tbsp per cup of soil, and then covering the soil with 1/8-1/4 inch of DE. DE kills the larvae as they try to emerge and fly off.

Sticky Sticks work great for trapping them after they emerge, but by that time they've made lunch of your root system. I don't know if mixing the DE in will help all that much, but I'm told that it does and that it also provides micronutrients like iron.

I can't really advise you what to do, as I'm just learning how to deal with the problem myself. But the above are what I've learned so far, so take it with a grain of salt. We'll see how well the combination of approaches works for resolving the problem this cycle as time goes by.

Note: My current batch of soil is *sterilized*, so it shouldn't have the egg problem. I don't intend to use the manure this cycle as the soil itself is a blend of loam, peat, and compost, so it really doesn't *need* the manure. I will, however, be blending in two soupspoons per 8-inch pot of the organic tomato food that I have when I'm doing the transplanting, as that provides extra P-K for the flowering cycle that isn't present in the compost.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 884/0
    Given: 479/1

Where I'm at now is germinating beans in sterilized mix and then once they sprout, planting them in my regular recycled blend as I've discovered that it's far superior to the miracle-gro potting mix currently being offered.

The recycled blend however, does have life that makes it more difficult for the cannabis beans to sprout without being eaten - hence both are used.
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    Ceci n'est pas une signature du forum.
    Thank You for using S.h.a.d.i.m.a.r.: the world's most poorly coded chatbot.
    Substantially Humanlike Application Determined Insufficient Mediocre And Relatively annoying.

Thumbs Up/Down

I figured I'd take a gamble and pot the rest of the beans. It's not like I can do anything about whether they pop or not, and I was bored.

So now I spin that great big grow lottery wheel and see what comes up.

P.S. I can't imagine ever bothering to recycle soil when it's only $3-5 for a 30L bag... by far and away the cheapest thing that goes into a grow.

Miracle Gro? Perish the thought. That shit's full of chemical fertilizers.

Thumbs Up/Down

It gets better with age as it's organic. The seedlings I started in the miracle gro had turned pale yellow, I transplanted them up into 3L pots on the 30th using the recycle organic mix (plus a bit of food) and they're a nice vibrant green now

I've noticed though that a lot of the gardening companies have been mixing in sawdust and bark to increasing degrees over the last few years. A bale of spaghnum can be a good start though and is cheaper than any mix, although the best way to use it is to mix it in to an existing blend
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    Substantially Humanlike Application Determined Insufficient Mediocre And Relatively annoying.

Seedling

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 217/1
    Given: 330/9

Quote Originally Posted by groo View Post
    Either the soil I had been using or the manure I still have is infested with fungus gnat eggs -- that's how I "got" them.

I no longer top-water, but bottom feed, so the top layer of soil is *always* dry, and that helped.

This go round I've picked up some diatamaceous earth as recommended, and will be blending that in at about 1 tbsp per cup of soil, and then covering the soil with 1/8-1/4 inch of DE. DE kills the larvae as they try to emerge and fly off.

Sticky Sticks work great for trapping them after they emerge, but by that time they've made lunch of your root system. I don't know if mixing the DE in will help all that much, but I'm told that it does and that it also provides micronutrients like iron.

I can't really advise you what to do, as I'm just learning how to deal with the problem myself. But the above are what I've learned so far, so take it with a grain of salt. We'll see how well the combination of approaches works for resolving the problem this cycle as time goes by.

Note: My current batch of soil is *sterilized*, so it shouldn't have the egg problem. I don't intend to use the manure this cycle as the soil itself is a blend of loam, peat, and compost, so it really doesn't *need* the manure. I will, however, be blending in two soupspoons per 8-inch pot of the organic tomato food that I have when I'm doing the transplanting, as that provides extra P-K for the flowering cycle that isn't present in the compost.
    I have been using a product called Tanlin by CX Hydroponics. On the up side it works very well, giving the medium a decent break from being hammered.
    On the downside it is an expensive product. As the active ingredient is Chitin it works very well when used with sticky strips.

The gnats cannot lay eggs and the strips catch any that are born.

I apply kelp at the top level the day before as I have noticed that the numbers are always right down. Our grow room always smells like the ocean the day for
    a few days after. I have just found a good source for fine shell so I will use the shell with some sand and see how she goes.

If growing indoors you will find that it helps to have some other indoor plants, in other rooms. We have Mother in law's tongue inside. (The plant that is, LOL)
    The gnats thrive where there is anything they can lay their eggs so if you place yellow sticky traps in your kitchen you will get rid of some of the
    numbers also. I have found that it is virtually impossible to get rid of them completely but preventative measures will prevent them from doing
    great damage.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,036/0
    Given: 1,031/0

Hey groo, sorry to hear you're still batting the gnats. I'm always hearing about how you can't completely get rid of them but mine lasted about a month and I was able to eliminate them. I haven't seen one for months. Hope the situation improves brother.

N
    I fall upon the earth, and I am embraced. Water gives me life, and I spring forth into the light. My roots run deep into the earth, and I am nourished. With wind and water, light and earth, I conspire to ease your pain and heal your wounds, to bring you peace and calm your mind, to give you wisdom and truth of heart.
    I return to the earth and I am embraced.I am Cannabis
    Nohibition

Thumbs Up/Down

They had disappeared in between cycles, so between the DE and the sterilized soil I'm hoping the problem doesn't resurface. If things stay "clean" this cycle, I won't be using the other half of this bag of steer manure for grows, but will use it for fertilizing the veggie garden next spring instead.

Flowering Member keepitmedicated's Avatar

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 946/2
    Given: 2,110/4

Hey Groo glad your up and runnin again. Durin the hot august month I only use 2 - 23 watt 4500k bulbs for veg for at least the first 2 weeks. That helps with the heat then I add one or two more a week till I have no room for any more. They still stay nice and short as long as they are kept close to them. The first 10 days from soil break is pretty slow anyways so two bulbs work fine for CFL's.
    HARMONY..
    When we lose the right to be different
    We lose the privilage to be free
    Nelson Mandela

Thumbs Up/Down

Well, seeing as I'm new to CFLs, I'll listen to your experience. I've cut down to three 23W CFLs for now. It wasn't too hot in there today, but it was kind of warm. Maybe too warm for seedlings.

It sure is dim compared to the full 16-bulb setup. *LOL*

One of the regular Kush beans has peeked out from the soil.

And the @)(%&@)$%&)(@%)(&@%)(&%) fungus gnats are buzzing around inside. I guess they *did* come from external sources. They're small enough that they could slip through the window screens. Fuckers.

Thumbs Up/Down

Yellow paper and Vaseline, makes a giant sticky, cover your soil with it...lol

N
    I fall upon the earth, and I am embraced. Water gives me life, and I spring forth into the light. My roots run deep into the earth, and I am nourished. With wind and water, light and earth, I conspire to ease your pain and heal your wounds, to bring you peace and calm your mind, to give you wisdom and truth of heart.
    Nohibition

Thumbs Up/Down

I still have Sticky Sticks from the last cycle, so I put one of them in there and have trapped two of the fungus gnats so far. I don't see any more buzzing around in there. Hopefully I got them before they could lay eggs.

The other regular Kush is *just* starting to peek out of the soil -- the "hump" of stem is tugging the seed casing loose from the seed leaves right now. The other one has shed it's seed case, but hasn't opened up it's seed leaves yet.

I'm liking this soil -- it retains moisture *very* well. Of course temps have been reasonable in the cabinet, so that helps, but still, it clearly has enough peat to keep things damp for a while.

Flowering Member keepitmedicated's Avatar

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 946/2
    Given: 2,110/4

ive got them little bastards also. I heard that a layer of sand on top of the soil will keep em from breeding and lettin the soil dry out nice and good between watering helps keep em at bay. I till up the soil a good 1/2 inch also so that they dont get comfortable either. They came into my garden in a bag of promix damit.
    But ya groo just a couple bulbs during the first 14 days really produces great growth.
    ive got 7 new plants that are starting on their second node now and starting to grow fast. Been above the soil now for almost two weeks and the growth looks great. Will add another two bulbs when they start to get about to their 4th node when they need more light to penetrate down deeper.
    during the winter I start with 4 bulbs to help with the warmth but really 2 too start for the first couple weeks is really all that is needed to have great vegetative growth. You can keep a mother goin under a single 23 watt light. a good bud of mine does it all the time. You will find that the growth will speed up when you veg under them three bulbs with the temps bein lower. Im gonna harvest the Texada Northern lights plants this weekend and it looks like Im gonna pull at least 2 ounces dry off of one plant and just a 1/2 O off of the 2nd one. Got a couple auto's hangin on the string now and smokin some of the epic kush auto today. yeilded 1 & 1/4 dry off of the 4 eka's that were 12/12 from germ so not bad. Gonna be my best harvest from my cfl cab this time round. Thanks to the advanced nutrients they did help my plants along this roundbig time.
    Good luck this round groo will be watchin to see how it comes along and will chime in if you need any help lke always.
    HARMONY..
    When we lose the right to be different
    We lose the privilage to be free
    Nelson Mandela

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 213/0
    Given: 88/1

hey Grooster, check at your local farm co-op type store, my local farm store carries a large sheet of sticky fly trap (used for horse stalls I'm told)way cheaper than the smaller fancy packaged ones,

Thumbs Up/Down

How do they peel the horses off the tape?

♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪

Thumbs Up/Down

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Given how gummed up my fingers get even from the little Sticky Sticks, I can only imagine what would happen if I tried to work with a big sheet of the stuff.

I can picture my face glued to the sheet and me flailing like a helpless fly...
    Last edited by groo; 08-06-2014 at 11:40 PM.

Thumbs Up/Down

Empathy

N

Sent from my LG-P705g using Tapatalk
    Nohibition

Thumbs Up/Down

Two more of the potentially-feminized Kush beans are just breaking soil, but the one that had already cracked has yet to show. That leaves four others as well to show. But hey, it's only been three days as of later tonight, so no worries yet. I've had beans take 3 days just to *crack*, never mind to be potted and show!

Thumbs Up/Down

I'm quite amazed at how many of the gnats have been trapped in only a day. There is *no way* they had enough time to hatch, fly, lay more eggs, and hatch again in 24 hours. They *have* to be buzzing into my apartment from outdoors or downstairs. Most likely outdoors, seeing as the downstairs is vacant right now so there wouldn't be infested plants down there. Bastards!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 213/0
    Given: 88/1

LMAO u guys r nuts ....i only meant it was cheaper lol cut into smaller strips it could be a years supply .... I'd piss myself, that would be funny as hell to see someone get one stuck to their face...... or how about, lets say....someone is on a treadmill and maybe, lets say, falls down on it, goes flying off the end of it and gets stuck to the sheet of sticky paper on the wall.... what? it could happen, of course this someone would have to be smaller in stature to attain the proper speed to become airborne

Seedling

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 217/1
    Given: 330/9

Quote Originally Posted by T&G View Post
    LMAO u guys r nuts ....i only meant it was cheaper lol cut into smaller strips it could be a years supply .... I'd piss myself, that would be funny as hell to see someone get one stuck to their face...... or how about, lets say....someone is on a treadmill and maybe, lets say, falls down on it, goes flying off the end of it and gets stuck to the sheet of sticky paper on the wall.... what? it could happen, of course this someone would have to be smaller in stature to attain the proper speed to become airborne
    Man, talk about annoying! The yellow sticky traps gets stuck in my hair every time!
    If I am having a particularly great run I have come out of the room going "Raaaaaa", and no I don't worship Egyptian
    Gods! They get stuck to hands, clothes etc. They work great though, catching gnats too!

Gro, I just thought I would mention the Pure Kush from Original Sensible. It is a pure Indica from the Hindu Kush region.
    I intended to tell you about this strain some time ago and just re-remembered.

I used it as my go to strain for pain and will definitely grow that strain again. I found it very good as I could smoke some and
    function well. I also learned that I, myself, prefer some Sativa in my strains. For me it was strange not to feel a "head- buzz",
    although I loved this strain!

I have only known what the different strain names are for a number of years now.

I just found a supplier of fine oyster shell grit sold as bird/reptile feed. This will be a cheaper source of Chitin then the Tanlin I have
    been using.

All fungus gnats do is lay eggs! The good news is once your plants are healthy they can only really muck with dead/dying leaves.

I like the Tanlin. I add it once a week and it keeps the numbers down in my hydroponic tent. (Medium is coco base)

In my organic tent there are virtually no gnats, which is great.

Peace!

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast