Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 102/0
    Given: 224/0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Default salt out 70% iso

any of you have any experience doing this? i remember a thread here it was mentioned.. i used search with no success ...does epsom work? i read it does but then i read also do NOT use it(google is becoming the enemy)..haha

so here i am again unsure if i can use it or not ..apparently i need to bake the epsom salt @450 for 1 hr... crush it, add to iso in jar... shake shake shake.. stare at it ... shake shake shake and so on ??..

when all is said and done i should have 100% iso floating on top to siphon off

is it really this simple?
    Its a known fact if you vaporize a mite his soul becomes yours ...

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 213/0
    Given: 88/1

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

thats a question for the great and .....er..... Shad knows the details Jay , i recall that he said you can use salt but dont remember it being crushing and baking epsom Salt

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 881/0
    Given: 470/1

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I use table salt but I see how perhaps it you were to take the time to bake epsom to remove the 7 H2O molecules for each MgS then you could use it to recapture water from the iso.

If you have a large container of table salt handy though, you pour it in until no more will dissolve, shake and let it sit. Repeat until two layers form, the top layer will be alcohol and the bottom layer will be salt water and extra salt.

You may find some salt leftover in the alcohol once it is evaporated, but it wont harm the iso hash.

The reason this works is because the alcohol is dissolved into the water. When you add in the salt, the salt becomes dissolved into the water - displacing the iso, which floats to the top.
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    Ceci n'est pas une signature du forum.
    Thank You for using S.h.a.d.i.m.a.r.: the world's most poorly coded chatbot.
    Substantially Humanlike Application Determined Insufficient Mediocre And Relatively annoying.

Thumbs Up/Down

awesome .. thanks i'm going to do this today.. i have 2 bottles of 70% to use up..

Thumbs Up/Down

quick question again Shadimar ,does it matter if the salt is iodized or not? i read somewhere yesterday only use non-iodized salt...
    but i believe you before google..lol

Thumbs Up/Down

The Iodide is added in at a rate of 1 part in 100,000 and is much more soluble in water than other common solvents.
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    Substantially Humanlike Application Determined Insufficient Mediocre And Relatively annoying.

Zygote

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/0
    Given: 0/0

Quote Originally Posted by JaySun View Post
    any of you have any experience doing this? i remember a thread here it was mentioned.. i used search with no success ...does epsom work? i read it does but then i read also do NOT use it(google is becoming the enemy)..haha

so here i am again unsure if i can use it or not ..apparently i need to bake the epsom salt @450 for 1 hr... crush it, add to iso in jar... shake shake shake.. stare at it ... shake shake shake and so on ??..

when all is said and done i should have 100% iso floating on top to siphon off

is it really this simple?
    So are you saying the salt soaks up the (water)? I haven't heard that. I do know etoh or is won't freeze at typical kitchen freezer temps.

When I was a kid we'd make apple jack be letting apple cider go hard and we'd freeze and poor off the alcohol. Don't know if that would work for you or not.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Thumbs Up/Down

yes it does.. apparently it dehydrates the iso

Zygote

Thumbs Up/Down

I buy 99.9 percent iso off eBay is that something you can do?

Using Tapatalk

Thumbs Up/Down

i can get 99% here .. but i sent someone to town for me,, this is what they returned with.. il make do for today.. whats theebay price? may save me looking like a idiot when i buy shitloads of iso...haha last time i grabbed 3 bottles i got the strangest look.. like im a meth cook or something..LMAO

PS. the local grow store sells 5gallons for 125.00...i dont need 5 gallons tho

Zygote

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by JaySun View Post
    i can get 99% here .. but i sent someone to town for me,, this is what they returned with.. il make do for today.. whats theebay price? may save me looking like a idiot when i buy shitloads of iso...haha last time i grabbed 3 bottles i got the strangest look.. like im a meth cook or something..LMAO

PS. the local grow store sells 5gallons for 125.00...i dont need 5 gallons tho
    I paid 20.90 for a gallon with 13 shipping.

Using Tapatalk

Thumbs Up/Down

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

here it is salt added ,shaken then it separated ...im impressed to say the least, there's actually 3 layers there, white on bottom then a cloudy layer and clear pure iso on the top... now i just need to siphon the top of and im good to go.. Qwiso for tonight ...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0066.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	60027

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 294/0
    Given: 220/0

That white layer on the bottom is actually just undissolved NaCl. The cloudy layer is salt water, and the clear layer on top is the purified isopropanol. Well done! I've never made qwiso with salted-out alcohol before, but other people have and say it works fine. Personally I would be concerned about the trace amounts of sodium salt leftover in the alcohol layer, of which it is guaranteed there is some... But once again, others say they don't notice any difference.
    Last edited by hush; 07-31-2014 at 08:26 PM.

Thumbs Up/Down

i may have put to much salt..lol the first jar i added salt first i figured heck gonna need lots of salt may as well be ahead of the game.. if i have to ever do it again i prob wont use so much salt.. lol ...salts cheap anyways

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 538/2
    Given: 315/0

I tried this last month. It worked great.

You should use non-iodized salt, but kosher salt, pickling salt, and sea salt are all non-iodized and cheap. Don't use table salt -- it has iodine.

Be prepared to shake like a fiend for an extended period of time.

The salt doesn't "absorb" the water, it binds to the water making salt water which is heavier than the alcohol, so the salt water sinks to the bottom. If you use "too much" salt, it will just sink to the bottom of the jar, so no damage done. Better too much than too little.
    I do not fail -- I succeed at finding out what does not work.

Thumbs Up/Down

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

sure does taste salty.. the iso that is...i haven't tested the oil yet... and for some reason i got back over 70% iso, so something went wrong..
    i let the qwiso sit in the sun.. turned a nice color out there .. im going in to get 99% today ..
    i washed 30 grams as a test, same iso 3 washes 10 grams per 50 second wash it was nice and dark brown before turning amber/red

have a wonderful day everyone.. peace
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0080.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	60053  
    Last edited by JaySun; 08-02-2014 at 05:13 PM. Reason: typo

Thumbs Up/Down

It sounds like you didn't let it settle out long enough. I had to leave mine settling for about 20 minutes before it was ready to skim off.

Thumbs Up/Down

actually i let it sit over night... then shook it up again.. and sit for a few hrs again..

did urs not taste like salt?

Thumbs Up/Down

I use mine for cleaning pipes, not making oil. But it burns clean with none of the orange flames that would indicate there is salt in it, and there is no salty residue in the plate after burning off the resin from a pipe. Near as I can tell it's fine.

I did have about an eigth of an inch of sea salt at the bottom of the jar, a couple inches of cloudy salt water, and about three inches of purified ISO. Seemed to work just great for me. Sorry yours doesn't seem to have turned out as well.

I poured the 70% ISO into a jar, added copious quantities of sea salt, and shook like a fiend for about 20 minutes. I then let that stand and settle for 20-30 minutes, and skimmed off the ISO with a turkey baster back into the ISO bottle. But I did purposely leave about half an inch of the ISO alone rather than trying to get every last drop, 'cause the instructions I'd read warned about being greedy and ending up with salt water in the ISO by trying to skim too much. So I may have wasted some, but I'd rather waste a bit than pollute the end result.

Thumbs Up/Down

How did the hash turn out, Jay?
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪

Thumbs Up/Down

it works well,, no salt taste at all when its smoked/vaped.. but to taste it raw before burning it, it has salty taste.... im happy to say the salt really didnt affect the end product unless you were to ingest it..

i messed up somewhere tho, cause there was water left over after the iso evaporated, so i just spread it thin on parchment paper and let it sit over night.. spreading it thinner and thinner as the tackiness went away.. now it really thick alomost hard ..