Thread: What is this ?

Flowering Member keepitmedicated's Avatar

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 946/2
    Given: 2,110/4

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Default What is this ?

Hey all, So as you all know by now for those who know me. I love all tyes of animals. So I was at work the other day and walked into this little orphaned baby Squiral I think it is. I picked it up thinkin that it was dead and with a little move it grabbed my finger. Ok now my heart is melting and Im freakin out cause I dont want to see any little baby animal in any kind of distress Im not made that way. I put it in a box and took it home knowin my wife will know what to do. That was two days ago and today it is now full of life and eating very good. But now we are tryin to figure out what exactly this little guy is. I cant figure out how to post these pics in a new thread so will next post.
    HARMONY..
    When we lose the right to be different
    We lose the privilage to be free
    Nelson Mandela

Thumbs Up/Down

Charlie likes it also but like I said we can not for sure identify this little guy. The thin tail is throwin us off from thinkin its a squirrel. Anyone see anything like this before. It sure has gotten a lot of life since I first found it. My Lady sure is doin a fantastic job of bringing it back to life. The kids are learnin somthng new, I love doin this kind of stuff with my family they get a greater respect for our planet and all its inhabitants. Sure is cute though eh.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140701213453282.bmp 
Views:	37 
Size:	225.1 KB 
ID:	59809Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140701213453282.bmp 
Views:	37 
ID:	59809Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140701213500986.bmp 
Views:	26 
ID:	59810Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140701213517528.bmp 
Views:	24 
ID:	59812Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140701213506390.bmp 
Views:	26 
ID:	59811
    HARMONY..
    Nelson Mandela

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,036/0
    Given: 1,031/0

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Looks like a baby chinchilla to me Bro.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chinchilla.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	5.8 KB 
ID:	59813Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chinchilla 2.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	7.0 KB 
ID:	59814

N
    I fall upon the earth, and I am embraced. Water gives me life, and I spring forth into the light. My roots run deep into the earth, and I am nourished. With wind and water, light and earth, I conspire to ease your pain and heal your wounds, to bring you peace and calm your mind, to give you wisdom and truth of heart.
    I return to the earth and I am embraced.I am Cannabis
    Nohibition

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 65/0
    Given: 136/1

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Baby squirrel and be careful they can be full of parasites, make sure you wash your hands well before putting anything near your mouth, eyes, ears, nose......
    Help me stop DSS delicate soul syndrome. We need volunteers to hug and hold all the delicate souls until we can heal them. Help us today! You can make a difference in someone's life. Tell them the truth.

Thumbs Up/Down

Yup baby red squirrel. Vet checked and healthy and now strong. Still got its eyes closed but stronger than when I found him. Feeding him some puppy milk formula and the kids are in love with it.
    HARMONY..
    Nelson Mandela

Thumbs Up/Down

Good on you KIM for the rescue.

Ok there's kids involved, what did they name it? Be careful feeding it puppy milk it may end up licking it's nuts instead of eating them. lol

N
    I fall upon the earth, and I am embraced. Water gives me life, and I spring forth into the light. My roots run deep into the earth, and I am nourished. With wind and water, light and earth, I conspire to ease your pain and heal your wounds, to bring you peace and calm your mind, to give you wisdom and truth of heart.
    Nohibition

Flowering Member

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 19/0
    Given: 0/0

I used to volunteer at a wildlife rescue and they used to bring in squirrels all the time, the ladies like feeding them.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 881/0
    Given: 470/1

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I just happen to have a family of 3-4 young red squirrels and at least 2 young chipmunks in addition to the adults that were hanging around previously.

I always find it comical when I step outside and happen to startle one of them so it runs away, hops up a tree, and then starts chirping at me as if to say "Yeah, man.. and don't let me catch you around here again...EEEK!"

They're mostly used to me enough to climb up a few steps away either to check for food or if I've dropped something for them such as bread or seeds and they'll generally ignore me when I'm on the stairs as long as I don't make any sudden moves.

Sadly, one moved in a year or two ago (and it was like having a weak poltergeist with an odd sense of humour at one point) so I had to trap it and toss the little guy outside for good. My fault for feeding it I guess, but I never intended for it to move in with me. The others have remained in their trees although I've not left any slices of bread on the back deck since.
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    Ceci n'est pas une signature du forum.
    Thank You for using S.h.a.d.i.m.a.r.: the world's most poorly coded chatbot.
    Substantially Humanlike Application Determined Insufficient Mediocre And Relatively annoying.

Thumbs Up/Down

We have trees, trees ,trees and lots of tree rats. They're cute but like to get inside. They come in through the back shed then chew their way into the house. I built some squirrel boxes and put them up in the back and ended up with more squirrels. The high light though was when a big grey moved into one of the boxes...for about a week. Once it had enlarged the holes in the box, it left. Now the reds don't use it anymore because the holes allow the blue jays to get at them. My wife loves watching them but I have to deal with the damage they do. Some ferrel cats have them thinned out now and everything seems in balance. Nature is cruel, but hey...

N
    Nohibition

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 266/0
    Given: 68/1

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

We have trees, trees ,trees and lots of tree rats. They're cute but like to get inside
    I'll trade you; here in the Ottawa area it's politicians; and you know the shit they get into.....

Thumbs Up/Down

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by airedog
    I'll trade you; here in the Ottawa area it's politicians; and you know the shit they get into.....
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    Substantially Humanlike Application Determined Insufficient Mediocre And Relatively annoying.

Thumbs Up/Down

LMAO...I do, I lived out in Greely not far from Ottawa through my teens. Actually I hear it's part of Ottawa now. Where we lived there was 1500 acres of bush behind the house...probably all houses now. Those were the days.
    As a matter of fact I smoked my first hoot at a campsite that was in Greely, went to first concert in Ottawa, can't t remember who the group was though.

N
    Nohibition

Thumbs Up/Down

Bet you swam in the old Spratt quarry as well?

Thumbs Up/Down

Bet you swam in the old Spratt quarry as well?
    Probably did, there where several abandoned quarries back then but don't remember names, almost 50 yrs ago. The one we went to most often was back behind Metcalfe if my memory serves me correctly. There was another one behind Greely but no good for swimming. I caught a school bus near Greely on Hwy 31, did all the back roads and then transfered to another bus in Metcalfe at Osgood High then went to Dundas for high school. Larry Robinson lived in Metcalfe then.

N.
    Nohibition

Thumbs Up/Down

The one i'm thinking of had a turn off from Highway 31, that was just before a precast company and a bit past the old wrecking yard (S&S i think). Laurentian Trading Post used to do open water dives there for their PADI classes. Going back to '68 for me, used to go there with a buddy whose dad owned Johnson Drilling on 31.

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by airedog View Post
    The one i'm thinking of had a turn off from Highway 31, that was just before a precast company and a bit past the old wrecking yard (S&S i think). Laurentian Trading Post used to do open water dives there for their PADI classes. Going back to '68 for me, used to go there with a buddy whose dad owned Johnson Drilling on 31.
    Wow
    I was 15-16 then. I worked for George MacDonald who owned the Laurentian Trading Post. He had Infantile Paralysis, braces on both legs, He also had a dairy farm, horses, nothing kept him down, used to bale hay for him. I vaguely remember Johnson Drilling, must have been close to us too. Wow small world. Was that quarry back behind the Aidelwise Restaurant? You would have turned off 31 to the right, it was privately owned. There was a motel just across the highway. The pre-cast place was owned by Carol Wouters family, then further down the highway on the right was S&S. However that quarry was just before the curve and then, pre-cast on left at curve then S&S on right further down. Small world.

N
    Nohibition

Thumbs Up/Down

Don't think so, coming from Ottawa, the wrecking yard was on the right with a bunch of Army deuce and a halfs at the fence; concrete pipe plant was also on the left and just past the left hand road going to the quarry. It's possible that the quarry filled in after you left, as water was clear in early 70s, not so much in late 70s.

Thumbs Up/Down

OK I know the place, our house was on 31 just about 1/2 mile before concrete plant,
    9 miles from Ottawa. I thought they build a huge concrete plant closer to Metcalfe on the right, after I left. Anyway everything changes. Lot's of memories

N
    Nohibition

Thumbs Up/Down

memory's eh. I used to have a squirel in the trees of my house when growin up, One summer I got one to start feeding from my hand and shoulder. Then one day Snowy my cat got it, It was a wicked scrap but snowy ate well that night. Nature, Whatcha gonna do.
    HARMONY..
    Nelson Mandela

Thumbs Up/Down

I have a basement screen off and Bella our cat just gifted us with a frog. Rescued and released. First the frog falls five feet on to concrete then gets molested by a fat lazy cat, then gets manhandled by a human, then ends up back in the pond where it started...shoulda just stayed there in the first place. lol

N
    Nohibition

Thumbs Up/Down

I found a small (half a foot long) turtle crawling through the grass in my back yard a year or two ago so I picked it up and started walking toward the river and wetland area until I began to second guess whether that's where the turtle had actually been headed in the first place (I was trying to save it the time and effort of fighting the tall grass when I could walk it over in seconds).

So I ended up turning around, the turtle still hanging out inside the shell probably having an adrenaline rush, and placed it next to a micro-pond that was at the edge of the yard but not yet transitioned fully into either wetland or forest.

Then I stepped inside for just a minute and when I returned the turtle had climbed down the slope into the water.

So aside from the little bit of turtle urine on my hand when I initially picked it up, everything turned out well
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪

Flowering Member

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 19/0
    Given: 0/0

Does that mean you gonna get warts. LOL

Thumbs Up/Down

Skin bumps with a half shell..

..Turtle Power!
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪