Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 294/0
    Given: 220/0

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Pics from tonight:

They are really bushy and short. But they have stacked nodes, so it's kind of deceptive, lol. I was considering topping them and flowering the cuts to sex them, but then I fear if there are "too many" females they'll be crowded. So I'm just going to throw them into flowering tomorrow I think, and remove the males when they show. I wasn't planning on keeping any of them anyway. I just want to find a keeper mom.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 658/0
    Given: 667/1

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

There looking nice and healthy!! I topped mine and they had some nice size buds on ever bud site!
    Why drink and drive when you can smoke and fly

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 84/0
    Given: 195/0

Quote Originally Posted by hush View Post
    They are really bushy and short. But they have stacked nodes, so it's kind of deceptive, lol. I was considering topping them and flowering the cuts to sex them, but then I fear if there are "too many" females they'll be crowded. So I'm just going to throw them into flowering tomorrow I think, and remove the males when they show. I wasn't planning on keeping any of them anyway. I just want to find a keeper mom.

good idea to flip at that height,just about the perfect size an stature to induce photo period...terrific lookin stocky plants.
    what size are they at?...I'm guessing they're about eight inches.

───────▄──█──▄────────
    ───────█─▐█▌─█────────
    ─────▀▄▐▌▐█▌▐▌▄▀──────
    ──────▀▄█▄█▄█▄▀───────
    ───────▄▄▀║▀▄▄────────
    ░░░░░░░░WE░ARE░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░░╦░╦╗╔╗╦╔╗╦╗░░░░░░
    ░░░░░║░╠░║╦║║║║║░░░░░░
    ░░░░░╩╝╩╝╚╝╩╚╝╝╚░░░░░░

Thumbs Up/Down

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Believe it or not, they are actually only about 5-6 inches tall! That's what I meant by "deceptive" up above. They are really short, but that's only because there are mere millimeters between the nodes, and there are LOTS of nodes. I've never grown such compact plants before, and I'm willing to bet that the reason for this is more the LED light than it is the genetics of KxNL. No matter what, color me impressed!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 84/0
    Given: 195/0

6-8" is my preferred height to force flower,using 400's they only penetrate so far,so i like to keep em short,now the stretch is a different story...but supercropping helps that some.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cwdiflamps (421 x 189).png 
Views:	192 
Size:	15.0 KB 
ID:	59930  

───────▄──█──▄────────
    ───────█─▐█▌─█────────
    ─────▀▄▐▌▐█▌▐▌▄▀──────
    ──────▀▄█▄█▄█▄▀───────
    ───────▄▄▀║▀▄▄────────
    ░░░░░░░░WE░ARE░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░░╦░╦╗╔╗╦╔╗╦╗░░░░░░
    ░░░░░║░╠░║╦║║║║║░░░░░░
    ░░░░░╩╝╩╝╚╝╩╚╝╝╚░░░░░░

Thumbs Up/Down

Yeah I think 6 inches seems to be perfect for this number of plants under this LED. So yeah, flowering began tonight. The plants just went to sleep for their first 12 hour night ever!

Thumbs Up/Down

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Day 2:

Thumbs Up/Down

I just finished setting up my auto irrigation system. It's been a while since I've been able to water my plants with a pump and tubing, so I finally went ahead and set something up in here and I just finished feeding them. I can't believe I ever allowed myself to hand water. That sucked.

Anyway, you can't see all the tubing because of how dense and bushy these plants are, but it's there. I have a reservoir in another room which has a pump that sends the water through the wall, into the tent, then through a manifold I made myself, which splits the water out through 12 individual tubes which then feed the plants. As I remove the males, I'll remove their corresponding irrigation tubes and plug the holes.

I love it... I just fed them by flipping a switch to turn a pump on, waiting to see runoff from a few of the pots, then turning the pump off again. How awesome is that? Now all I need is a timer that can be set to increments of seconds instead of minutes. There's one made by a company called Mist King. I just have to buy it.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,036/0
    Given: 1,031/0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I'm curious about your manifold. I built an NFT system a while back, it worked well but I don't like a reservoir, I now prefer individual DWC buckets. Any way with my NFT I always had greater water flow at the furthest line from the pump, which is like forced air heat, the room furthest from the furnace is warmest, back pressure. Do you get an even flow to every plant?

N
    I fall upon the earth, and I am embraced. Water gives me life, and I spring forth into the light. My roots run deep into the earth, and I am nourished. With wind and water, light and earth, I conspire to ease your pain and heal your wounds, to bring you peace and calm your mind, to give you wisdom and truth of heart.
    I return to the earth and I am embraced.I am Cannabis
    Nohibition

Thumbs Up/Down

No you're correct about the even flow thing. It's very difficult to ensure the same amount of flow with this type of rudimentary setup. I've learned over the years though that if you just water more than you need in each feeding, it all balances out. It means more drain to waste, but I use my waste in my houseplants and flower beds so it's not really wasted. Plus, the actual differences in the flow to each bucket are rather small, and it really isn't that big of a deal in the end. It all works out.

My manifold is simple. It's just a short length of 1/2" tubing that has a compression clamp closing it off on the end, and there's 12 holes punched into it, with barbed connectors in them, attached to the 1/4" spaghetti tubing that feeds the individual buckets. I try to keep the holes as close together as possible when punching them, and I try to keep things symmetrical with the routing of all the tubing, all to minimize the differences in flow to each bucket.

I'll try to take pictures of the manifold the next time I have the plants out of the tent for maintenance.
    Last edited by Shadimar; 07-21-2014 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Updated post, see barbed tee quote below.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,036/0
    Given: 1,031/0

That makes sense. I solved the problem by splitting the manifold. Pump to first T which feeds two manifolds. Each secondary manifold fed two pipes going to my table. By doing this I ended up with all my final lines getting the same flow rate. Worked great but sucks when you're doing a thorough cleaning.

N
    I fall upon the earth, and I am embraced. Water gives me life, and I spring forth into the light. My roots run deep into the earth, and I am nourished. With wind and water, light and earth, I conspire to ease your pain and heal your wounds, to bring you peace and calm your mind, to give you wisdom and truth of heart.
    I return to the earth and I am embraced.I am Cannabis
    Nohibition

Thumbs Up/Down

Yeah, I don't clean mine. LOL. After a grow is finished, though, I take all my spaghetti tubing and soak it all in bleach water to sterilize. I do this with my pumps and a few other things too. Bleach is a great sterilizer!

It's definitely a mess though after I get everything all laid out. It's never been such a big deal when I am only growing 5 huge buckets at a time, but when I have 12 small pots like in this garden, it can get a little unwieldy. I try to just set it and forget it, without needing to come back to do anything until after harvest. Sometimes it's unavoidable though, and it's always a pain in the ass. It means I have to remove all 12 individual tubes from their corresponding pots, then carefully route the tubes out from under the plants, and then tuck them out of the way without losing the "order" I've attached them to the pots, if that makes sense. It's really not that big of a deal... it just requires being meticulous.

This is the most I've ever distributed a 1/2" line before... into 12 pots. I can't wait until I'm done selecting new mother plants out of all these new genetics I have, so I can go back to only doing 4-6 larger plants at a time! It's worth it though. Just looking at the Sweet Skunks in the other garden right now makes that very clear. It's very worth it!!!

Vegetative Member Provisionseeds's Avatar

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 566/0
    Given: 103/0

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

By using a barrer (I believe thats what its called) before and after the pump can reduce clogging but required to clean it on a dialy bases. After harvest soaking it in bleach and water will break all the solid matter down. Best to soak it for 24 to 48 hours the cleaning them off so bleach is left inside.

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by hush View Post
    My manifold is simple. It's just a short length of 1/2" tubing that has a compression clamp closing it off on the end, and there's 12 holes punched into it, with barbed tees in them
    Oops. I meant barbed connectors, not barbed tees.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 538/2
    Given: 315/0

Based on your plant pics, I'm now convinced that the one plant of mine had indeed been a KxNL. And I *will* be ordering some of those beans one of these days, because those were some seriously tasty and relatively potent meds for such young plants.
    I do not fail -- I succeed at finding out what does not work.

Thumbs Up/Down

Day 7 and I still don't know the genders yet:

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 825/0
    Given: 904/1

I hope there all girls, they look great, nice work hush.

your gonna love the kxnl its excellent

Thumbs Up/Down

Well it turns out I have 4 males and 8 females. One of the females is a runt. I think she got shaded out by the others early on. So I might compost her. But I think I'm going to select the 4 nicest, bushiest remaining females and narrow the garden down to just those 4. The remaining 3 would then go under the small LED because that space will be freed up any day now. The males have been moved to my CFL garden, and I'll probably narrow them down to the 2 nicest ones. Then I will collect pollen.

Too late for pictures tonight but I'll try to take some tomorrow.
    Last edited by Shadimar; 07-31-2014 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Removed unintended duplicate text.

Thumbs Up/Down

hush are there any stinkers in the bunch, my best ones were stinky, and I believe ce kept his stinkiest girl for a mom.

the taste and smell of the kxnl is excellent, its very fine meds bro

Thumbs Up/Down

Oh man, they all seem to stink, plenty! Even the males are pungent! In fact, because I had removed them last night to the CFL cabinet, which doesn't have a carbon filter at the moment, I came home from work tonight to a STINKY house! Lol. Too damn stinky. I think I'm going to have to put my spare carbon filter in that cabinet now! Good Lord, this is a smelly strain!! I can't believe it has any NL genetics in it!

@Shadimar thanks for fixing my last post which I didn't even know I messed up, lol. I use my phone mostly, and it freezes up sometimes.

Thumbs Up/Down

Now that the males have been removed, it was time to thin the herd. Out of the 8 females I decided that 6 was a good number for this space, based on the bushy nature of these plants. Here's what I'll be working with from here on out:

There are several branches on all of the plants, so this space will probably fill up soon enough, regardless of what it looks like at the moment.

Thumbs Up/Down

on your next run, and there will be a next kxnl run after you smoke it.lol
    top it, i seen a significant increase in yield definitely worth a little extra veg time. the girls are looking good all prom queens bro

Thumbs Up/Down

My typical method with bushy plants like these is to LST them. That's more than likely what I will do. But same end result, so your point is taken. Thanks for the tip!

Yeah, I like a good long veg, to get that root system nice and developed, and I LST all the while. The plant never stops to recover from being tied down like I've always experienced plants to do when they are topped. But I admit, topped plants develop a stronger stem in the end, which supports the buds better, and with my LST'd plants I have to stake up the branches.

Thumbs Up/Down

Here's the cabinet where I've put all the males:

Thumbs Up/Down

3 more sneaky males were found in the garden today. That leaves me with only 3 remaining females. There is a 4th female in my other LED cabinet, so I guess I will move that one in here and have a total of 4 females. Anyway, dang, there were 8 males to 4 females. Oh well, right?

I need to add here: at least the males I just removed look spectacular. They are all really healthy, and have quite an exemplary structure. I think that makes it obvious to me that these are the males I should breed with. So the previous males I separated are now going into the compost heap, and these males are the ones I will collect pollen from. All 3 of them are pungent! They will all make good sperm donors.
    Last edited by hush; 08-04-2014 at 02:15 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast