Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 294/0
    Given: 220/0

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Default hush's Kush x NL garden

Time for my next journal! Next up in the DR60 is Kush x Northern Lights. I am starting with 12 seeds, all of which successfully germinated. I've planted them in coco/perlite in 5" square pots.

Lighting is an LED fixture called the Solar Flare 220 by California Lightworks. This is the full spectrum model. They report that this model uses 165 actual watts, so I'm interested in finding out how well this thing works. It's all 5w emitters, which is what sold me on it, for the price. It's suspended a couple of feet above the seedlings for now, and I'll adjust it closer as soon as the plants grow a little more.

Here we go!

I'm hoping that one of these plants will end up in my mother cabinet eventually.

Thumbs Up/Down

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

This new LED light is keeping the temperature inside the tent only a few degrees warmer than the ambient temperature in my house, which is kept at 75. Previously I had a 400w HID in this tent and it was hard to keep the temperature at the canopy below 83.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 211/0
    Given: 1/0

subscribed
    Currently hording the following elite genetics;

Grape Escape x Afghani Kush, Iranian Land Race x Pre-98 Bubba Kush, Florida Skunk Ape x Purple Kush, Green Crack BX, Grape Escape x Green Crack.
    Tranquil Elephantizer, Blue Dream Lotus, Orange SunShine.
    OG Ghost Train haze #1.
    Blue Cheese.
    MK Ultra, The Hog, Wreckage.
    Nevilles Haze, Critical Mass, SSH, Black Widow, Shark Shock, Medicine Man, G13 Widow, Ortega, Angels Breath.
    Petrolia Head Stash, Willie Nelson, Golden Temple Kush.

Flowering Member keepitmedicated's Avatar

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 946/2
    Given: 2,110/4

Me too, How much did that led rig cost you? Im gonn start to save up for one of my own some day also. Keepin the heat down is a big thing for me also. Lookin forward to seein how them KnL's grow under that new light.
    HARMONY..
    When we lose the right to be different
    We lose the privilage to be free
    Nelson Mandela

Thumbs Up/Down

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I don't remember the exact price at the moment because of the lemon skunk I've been smoking all evening... But it was somewhere in the neighborhood of $465 US dollars. Bought it on amazon. It's the most I've spent yet on LEDs but I decided I was willing to take the plunge when I had such success with the cheap UFO in my micro cabinet. Got almost 3 ounces from a single plant under about 90 watts or so. I expect this light to be even better because it uses more powerful diodes than the UFO.

Thumbs Up/Down

Ive wanted a ufo for the longest time now. Just wish that they were a little bit easier on the wallet. Damn things cost way too much, and I dont want to risk wasting my cash on them China made led's. Ive seen good and bad more bad from them cheaper led products being produced over there. More than $500 buck after delivery, My wife would kill me if I made that kind of purchase. One day I will have some kind of led over my plants. Even if it is a Ufo and suppliment it with a couple cfl's then right on less heat and great light for my plants. Gettin 3 O's off of one plant would be wicked Im only gettin roun 1 O per plant now. 2Ft tall when finished, Im not complainin but if I can get three times as much then damn why not.
    HARMONY..
    Nelson Mandela

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 658/0
    Given: 667/1

One of my fav strains,hope you do well!!.....Just put some kushxnl and dpk clones into the 10 gall containers today for next run....
    Why drink and drive when you can smoke and fly

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by keepitmedicated View Post
    Ive wanted a ufo for the longest time now. Just wish that they were a little bit easier on the wallet. Damn things cost way too much, and I dont want to risk wasting my cash on them China made led's. Ive seen good and bad more bad from them cheaper led products being produced over there. More than $500 buck after delivery, My wife would kill me if I made that kind of purchase. One day I will have some kind of led over my plants. Even if it is a Ufo and suppliment it with a couple cfl's then right on less heat and great light for my plants. Gettin 3 O's off of one plant would be wicked Im only gettin roun 1 O per plant now. 2Ft tall when finished, Im not complainin but if I can get three times as much then damn why not.
    Dude... the one I have in my micro cabinet, the one that gave me almost 3 ounces (it was 2.8), was only like 80 dollars on eBay. It's the Apollo Horticulture branded one. It's 45 x 3w LEDs which equals theoretical maximum of 135w but I'm guessing it probably only runs at 90 watts or somewhere around there. My whole reason for using that light in my micro cabinet was to demonstrate that we don't have to use the expensive LEDs to make it happen. I'm sure the expensive ones are better, but the fact that I was able to get 3 ounces from a cheap UFO made me realize that 5 of these things would bring in almost a pound! So if I were to setup a shelf system with 5 of those lights, which cost a total of around $400 and only consume around 450 watts total, I could bring in about 14 or 15 ounces. That blows me away. I just might do that actually!

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Eagle View Post
    One of my fav strains,hope you do well!!.....Just put some kushxnl and dpk clones into the 10 gall containers today for next run....
    Thanks! I am looking forward to trying out another Kush hybrid, as I have limited experience with them. I'm hoping it will be a good medicine for my wife's time of the month. She has severe pain every month and so far we've had luck with a Kush strain, so I'm hoping for good things.
    Last edited by hush; 07-01-2014 at 11:31 AM.

Thumbs Up/Down

Things are still growing along...

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 884/0
    Given: 472/1

As an owner of aging LEDs I'll be interested in how these do as well
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    Ceci n'est pas une signature du forum.
    Thank You for using S.h.a.d.i.m.a.r.: the world's most poorly coded chatbot.
    Substantially Humanlike Application Determined Insufficient Mediocre And Relatively annoying.

Thumbs Up/Down

80 bucks eh Im gonna have to look into that light for sure, It would be great to be able to get rid of half of my little cfl's. The make way too much heat in the summer months. How long have you had if for? how many cycles did you grow with it is a better question and did you see any deplete in yeild if you grew out the same strain in any two gardens with that light.
    HARMONY..
    Nelson Mandela

Thumbs Up/Down

Just to clarify, for anyone not sure, the 80 dollar light I'm talking about is NOT the one featured in this grow journal. It is a small ufo style light that I featured in this thread over at icmag. Feel free to check it out and see what I did with it. It blew my mind. Even with some slow growth back in the beginning, I ended up harvesting .8 grams per watt.

KIM, to answer your question, I grew the one of my strains that I know the best... having grown the same cut under fluorescents, HPS, and MH before, several times over, I knew I would be able to discern any growth differences, good or bad. Long story short, I have never come close to 1 gram per watt with this cut before it went under that cheap LED.

I've only done one complete run with it so far. It's currently being used over my one pollinated Blueberry. But if it was vacant at the moment, I would not be hesitating to get another clone run going in that cabinet.

Thumbs Up/Down

After going back and reading that thread I linked to in the above post, I have to correct myself. The light I used in that garden was actually just over $100, not $80. I was confusing 2 of my fixtures. The one I bought for $80 is a Chinese knockoff that allegedly has higher wattage, but I can't comment on that one yet as it's only growing a couple puny autos for me at the moment. But the one I have used, which I will almost certainly be buying more of, and which is featured in that journal I linked to above, was $100.

Thumbs Up/Down

Okay back to our regularly scheduled programming...

I just fed the plants for the first time with their new food, CNS17 Grow. I'll be feeding them with that line, and a few additives. I attempted to lower the light the other day, then after a day went by I noticed that 2 of the plants went into a droopy shock, so I raised the light again. I guess this thing is bright! So yeah it's back up to like 2 feet above the plants.

Pics from today:

Here are those 2 plants that cowered from the light:

Thumbs Up/Down

Everytime I had that happen to me it ended up being dampin off and died off shortly after fallen. Hope it is just some bendy stems and they can be fixed with a little bamboo.
    HARMONY..
    Nelson Mandela

Thumbs Up/Down

From what I can tell in the pics, the stems are still round columns and have not taken on the pinched effect at the soil line that the damping off fungus causes.
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    Substantially Humanlike Application Determined Insufficient Mediocre And Relatively annoying.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,036/0
    Given: 1,031/0

there's usually some discoloration at the soil line associated with the fungus. yes? no?
    N
    I fall upon the earth, and I am embraced. Water gives me life, and I spring forth into the light. My roots run deep into the earth, and I am nourished. With wind and water, light and earth, I conspire to ease your pain and heal your wounds, to bring you peace and calm your mind, to give you wisdom and truth of heart.
    I return to the earth and I am embraced.I am Cannabis
    Nohibition

Thumbs Up/Down

It's not dampening off. It was definitely because of the light being lowered. I just propped them back upright tonight with some clothes hanger wire. They'll be back in shape in no time, I'm sure.

Thumbs Up/Down

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I propped up the ones that flopped with some coat hanger wire. Everything's fine. Things are looking good, and the plants are still growing!

Thumbs Up/Down

Thumbs Up/Down

All lookin nice and identical and healthy. I have a pack of those kush x northern lights here that I should start soon. I hear that, that strain really throws out the stink, so gonna have to have some kind of odor killer sytsem up and runnin first though. Probebly will just grow em out and stink up my place like normal and get the wife screamin at me again about the skunky smell coming from our closet .lol.
    HARMONY..
    Nelson Mandela

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by keepitmedicated View Post
    I hear that, that strain really throws out the stink, so gonna have to have some kind of odor killer sytsem up and runnin first though. Probebly will just grow em out and stink up my place like normal and get the wife screamin at me again about the skunky smell coming from our closet .lol.
    You and Groo both need a 4" scrubber+blower combo with a fan speed controller before someone unfriendly shows up at the door.
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪

Thumbs Up/Down

Yeah this tent is inside of a closet that has its own 6" fan/filter combo. I just replaced the carbon filter last month, actually, so I know I'll be good. The closet has good airflow so all the air that gets blown out of the tent ends up getting scrubbed through the filter. Without a filter I wouldn't be able to have company at our house, and we like having people over. Stealth is very important!

Thumbs Up/Down

Damn right I do, Some of these strains really reek especially when being trimmed up. Gonna have to squirrel away some coin to get me one of them combo's. I start to save up a substantial amount then somthing always comes up and it has to be spent. Life. One day I will have one. But till then I only let my lights come on a night so that eliminates a lot of company. Plus I dont have any friends that I invite over in this town. Takes a bit for me to trust a person enough to allow them into my inner sanctum with mia familia. Chances are if they are in my house they already know I grow for myself. This towns too small for anyone to come by unanounced, and we dont cause any trouble so no one looks this a way. Keepin the yard clean and sayin hi to everyone, Gettin out for walks with charlie has everyone in my neighbourhood loving the fact we are living here. Could be worst right. but still your right It would be great to have some kind of stink catcher system happening. Till then Im limited to the strains that I know are low odor and cross my fingers when growin new ones that they dont reek to bad. Thanks for lookin out guys...K.I.M.
    HARMONY..
    Nelson Mandela

Zygote

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 29/0
    Given: 0/0

Hello Hush and everybody,

I also run the same led's as you do hush. I like them a lot.

I have them in my flowering tent
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03636.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	265.1 KB 
ID:	59888

I am not into electrical work and don't like HID's for my personal situation so led's were the right choice for me. It was expensive to pick them up but now that I have had them I am very much sold on this paradigm of gardening.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast