Next is the Northern Skunk:

Here is the tall, wide-leaf pheno Sweet Skunk:

And last is the short, narrow-leaf pheno Sweet Skunk:

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 294/0
    Given: 220/0

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Here is the already-pollinated female that I originally mistook for a male:

She gets her own garden space, as you can see. It's my way of saying I'm sorry I yanked her out of the good garden. This way she will forgive me and reward me with lots of fantastic seeds!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 538/2
    Given: 315/0

Coming along very nicely. You should have a *lot* of meds out of that setup!
    I do not fail -- I succeed at finding out what does not work.

Flowering Member keepitmedicated's Avatar

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 946/2
    Given: 2,110/4

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

That northernskunk and blueberry males look like they will be some great genetic supplier. Nice long thick cola's, Do they reak when you touch them. Those are the two things that I would be keepin an eye out for in my male stock when I get my breeding hat on. Stinky to the touch stems and tight thick cola clusters. Glad things are all panning out for you, Funny how they like to keep us on our toes eh. Makin us think that they are males when they are really femmed. I lost a c-99 that way last seed run I did. Those flowering plants are lookin happy also, Startin to form some real true flowers now. Not long till we get to see some stinky frosted flowers yaaaaaaaaa....K.I.M.
    HARMONY..
    When we lose the right to be different
    We lose the privilage to be free
    Nelson Mandela

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 881/0
    Given: 470/1

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

If you have a microscope, check the leaves of the males for trichome density and most importantly when the male flowers open up you should be able to see trichomes on the pollen sacs themselves - "like teeth on a meth head" if you'll excuse that expression.

The banana below represents the shape of the pollen sac, and the trollface' grin is more or less what the trichomes would look like if he had less teeth as trichs don't usually come that closely packed on a pollen sac.

♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    Ceci n'est pas une signature du forum.
    Thank You for using S.h.a.d.i.m.a.r.: the world's most poorly coded chatbot.
    Substantially Humanlike Application Determined Insufficient Mediocre And Relatively annoying.

Thumbs Up/Down

Awesome, thanks guys, these are great tips. KIM, I just rubbed the stems last night after reading your post and I can say that they do have strong aroma when rubbed, but I wouldn't necessarily say it reeks or anything. But the flower clusters are looking very promising. Shad, I'm going to pull out my wife's nice camera tonight and take some up close macro shots. That's how I've always substituted for a microscope in the past, and it seems to work very well. I'll post any pics I can get. But yeah, my fingers are crossed that this all works out. The BB is the only male I got, so the decision was made for me on that strain. In a way that's nice because I don't have to do any selecting, lol. But it sucks because I wanted at least 2 males to further the gene pool with. Oh well. Then the SS males in there, I only have 2, and each one represents a different pheno, but the only selection I was able to make was to get rid of the ones that showed their flowers first. For some reason I feel strongly that that is the best "first elimination" to make in any seedmaking project. Anyway, the 2 that I have are both very handsome representatives of the strain, even compared to the females. As far as the NS goes, I was only left with 1 of those after the first ones were eliminated, and it too seems to have the best structure of all of them, like it's not just a coincidence. The first ones to show were tall, stretchy, and seemed to be all about growing stem instead of setting flowers.

Thumbs Up/Down

Theres a thread round here thats from DJ short and talks about his breeding and selection process. Kind of a long read but pretty informative, and every aspiring breeder should read once in their seed makin career. Cant wait till this run of mine is complete so that I can start some reg seed and femmed seed to start some breedin of my own.
    Thinkin of startin with Sweet Seeds Green Poison femmed Fast version as a base for its fast finishin times. Then probebly some C-99 to keep it a short flowering mix Dont know yet but Lemon Chunk is gonna make an apperance, Love that thick single sparkely cola, Mabey cross that with Blueberry. Im likin how yours are growin that tight structure. Dont know yet but it should be fun...K.I.M.
    HARMONY..
    Nelson Mandela

Thumbs Up/Down

Yes almost forgot, Shadimar is an invaluble member when it comes to breeding, He has taught me so many things since starting here. I wouldnt have had a clue how to seed my plants succesfully (single branch on a flowering plant) if it wasnt for the shad man. Now I have an idea what to look for when it comes to breedin thanks to him. So take his advice and treat it like gold cause the man will never stear you wrong.
    HARMONY..
    Nelson Mandela

Thumbs Up/Down

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Right on man. Noted!

Day 21 of flowering:

The Blueberries are slowly doing their thing, while the Northern Skunks and Sweet Skunks are already yellowing from insufficient nutes. So I just increased the dosage for them to 8 grams Maxibloom per gallon of water. I never go that high, so I'm half expecting them to tell me that was too much. I'll be on the lookout.

Thumbs Up/Down

Hvent tried the SS yet but that NorthernSkunk was a hearty eater when I grew it. Are you using mollasses in your mix, They seem to like it. Those plants on the right sure are shootin up eh. Lookin wicked though, What are you hopin to yeild out of your tent there? Meaning what would be the least you get that will still get you by threw to next harvest?. I need to get at least 1 O per plant to get me and dad through. Keep it up hush good job.
    HARMONY..
    Nelson Mandela

Thumbs Up/Down

You know, I'm fortunate in that I'm able to have multiple gardens going at any given time, so I thankfully don't have a required minimum or anything like that. Ideally, I should get at least a pound out of here when the entire tent is full. That's what happens when I do a monocrop in here. But doing a run from seed, with little veg time, I'm expecting I will at least get 8 ounces if not even close to a pound, when it's all said and done.

I'm still new here, but you guys will get to know me better after a while. I tend to get very "manic" from time to time, and that coupled with a little ADHD keeps me very busy much of the time, or else I get bored. So for instance, in the past 2 weeks alone, I just harvested from 3 different gardens! I had a fluorescent garden growing Lemon Skunk, an LED garden growing Sadhu, and an HPS garden growing Super Silver Haze. That is in addition to this Peak Seeds garden I had already started, and it doesn't even include the garden of mother plants. So yeah, I get bored easily, lol. What the hell, I'll go ahead and post a few pics of these gardens and their resulting harvest...

Here is the Lemon Skunk, grown around a 125w giant CFL in a DIY cool tube:

Here is the SSH, grown under a 400w HPS:

Here is the Sadhu, grown under 135w LED, and I don't have a picture of the harvest yet (it's still drying):

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by hush View Post
    (..) the only selection I was able to make was to get rid of the ones that showed their flowers first. For some reason I feel strongly that that is the best "first elimination" to make in any seedmaking project. Anyway, the 2 that I have are both very handsome representatives of the strain, even compared to the females. As far as the NS goes, I was only left with 1 of those after the first ones were eliminated, and it too seems to have the best structure of all of them, like it's not just a coincidence. The first ones to show were tall, stretchy, and seemed to be all about growing stem instead of setting flowers.
    I agree that this tendency seems to be the case and so do a number of breeders well known for quality.

The hypothesis is that the weedy/hempy genes will open up first and probably be taller as well with skimpier flowers due to the focus on stem production, a little pollen goes a very long way though and the early pollen sacs in a field would dominate the later plants in next year's genetic representation.

So we eliminate the early males and any that autoflower as a general rule, and also any that take far too long to open and release pollen should be suspect as well. But a male that has tight clusters of grapes that look almost like loose bud and then open up into bananas studded with white glass mushroom teeth.. he might be one to hang on to for a bit.
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    Substantially Humanlike Application Determined Insufficient Mediocre And Relatively annoying.

Thumbs Up/Down

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thanks for clarifying all of that, Shadimar!

Now after knowing that, I'm left wondering if the same applies to the females that show their flowers first, and/or are the tallest, with the largest internodal gaps? Maybe I should skip pollinating those females when I'm finally at that step?

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by keepitmedicated View Post
    Theres a thread round here thats from DJ short and talks about his breeding and selection process. Kind of a long read but pretty informative, and every aspiring breeder should read once in their seed makin career.
    Hey I didn't find the thread here that you were talking about, but I did find this article over at CC:

http://www.cannabisculture.com/articles/2788.html

Not sure if it's the same article you were talking about, but I found this one to be very informative!

Thumbs Up/Down

Day 24:

Blueberry:

Northern Skunk:

Sweet Skunk pheno #1:

Sweet Skunk pheno #2:

Thumbs Up/Down

alls lookin pretty damn great so far.
    HARMONY..
    Nelson Mandela

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 825/0
    Given: 904/1

looking killer hush, cant wait to see them blow up. nice combination for the grow gonna be hard to decide which one to smoke. I bet ya the ns is gone first. lol

pics are excellent

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 538/2
    Given: 315/0

Lookin' sweet man. Very sweet.
    I do not fail -- I succeed at finding out what does not work.

Thumbs Up/Down

Well I was working in the male cabinet today, collecting pollen like I've been doing everyday, and I decided that the Northern Skunk male is so handsome that I don't want to throw him away. I don't know why. I've collected a good bit of pollen from him, but I don't want to lose him anyway. Which is odd, because I wasn't planning on keeping any hybrid males, but I have to trust my gut on this one. Maybe he's special? So anyway, I cut off all of his flowers and misted him down to remove his remaining pollen. I'm going to feed him a grow formula and revegetate him. Now I'll be keeping him in the mother cab.

The two Sweet Skunks were trashed. I got the most pollen out of them anyway. Lots and lots of it! But the Blueberry hasn't given me any more pollen since I pollinated the mistaken female with him. So I haven't been able to collect even a speck of BB pollen. I'm going to keep him in the male cabinet for now, and give him another dose of bloom nutes. Chances are I'll be ordering more BB seeds with my next order, and I'll try to induce a higher percentage of males out of those. But I'm going to keep trying to get pollen out of this guy in the mean time.

Thumbs Up/Down

I used a male northern skunk to pollinate a branch on a Texada Northern Lights, SkunkBerry and a LemonChunk. The Skunkberry/NorthernSkunk seeds turned out really good and stunk so strong when flowering. Still got some in my jar I think I will go and smoke some now.
    HARMONY..
    Nelson Mandela

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by hush View Post
    I'm left wondering if the same applies to the females that show their flowers first, and/or are the tallest, with the largest internodal gaps? Maybe I should skip pollinating those females when I'm finally at that step?
    One trait to look for in females is the hollow stem, the logic here simply being that the plant is not genetically programmed to use its energy to fill the stem with pith, fibre, and eventually something not quite wood.

As for the other traits that you mentioned, it can be difficult if you were to try to compare multiple strains together but as for a population of one family of sisters then you may begin to consider height. Tight internodes we generally agree are great but there are also some very fine stretchy sativas that you wouldn't want to miss.

If there are other plants that appear to fit your goals and also have tighter internodes than one in question then in my experience you may very well find that if you pollinate, you'll likely pop those beans less frequently and perhaps even dispose of them entirely in favour of the beans from the other girls.

Height can be a bit complicated as well because it may be a plant producing too much stem or it may be a stretchy gem of a plant that just hasn't been fully tamed. So you must choose wisely there, or when in doubt pollinate a small area so you only have a few seeds to dispose of if you were right but still have enough to produce another generation of beans if it turns out you were wrong.

-----
    Oh, btw. I found the post where K.I.M. had "accidentally" given you the thumbs down and I went through the grueling ordeal of arguing with the clowns in charge to get it reversed.

I stood up for you, man! And I told the admins that you didn't deserve it, nosireebob, you didn't. I said "Thumbs down, my ass!" and he said "Thumbs up, my ass!" and then it got all akward..

Anyway the point is that you no longer have the red 1 and neither does k.i.m.
    I also gave you a thumbs up on that post to keep your count equal as I had to remove two other +'s to clear the negative.
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪

Seedling

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 217/1
    Given: 330/9

Quote Originally Posted by Shadimar View Post
    One trait to look for in females is the hollow stem, the logic here simply being that the plant is not genetically programmed to use its energy to fill the stem with pith, fibre, and eventually something not quite wood.

As for the other traits that you mentioned, it can be difficult if you were to try to compare multiple strains together but as for a population of one family of sisters then you may begin to consider height. Tight internodes we generally agree are great but there are also some very fine stretchy sativas that you wouldn't want to miss.

If there are other plants that appear to fit your goals and also have tighter internodes than one in question then in my experience you may very well find that if you pollinate, you'll likely pop those beans less frequently and perhaps even dispose of them entirely in favour of the beans from the other girls.

Height can be a bit complicated as well because it may be a plant producing too much stem or it may be a stretchy gem of a plant that just hasn't been fully tamed. So you must choose wisely there, or when in doubt pollinate a small area so you only have a few seeds to dispose of if you were right but still have enough to produce another generation of beans if it turns out you were wrong.

-----
    Oh, btw. I found the post where K.I.M. had "accidentally" given you the thumbs down and I went through the grueling ordeal of arguing with the clowns in charge to get it reversed.

I stood up for you, man! And I told the admins that you didn't deserve it, nosireebob, you didn't. I said "Thumbs down, my ass!" and he said "Thumbs up, my ass!" and then it got all akward..

I also gave you a thumbs up on that post to keep your count equal as I had to remove two other +'s to clear the negative.
    Man, you always manage to crack me up, Shad!!!! Your awesome!!

I have a question and I thought I might as well ask here as it follow topic. (About the characteristics of plants, not, um, that awkward sounding thing!!!)

A lot of my plants are very "bendy". They all have very strong stems and everything is going great. I am just wondering why they are so pliable.

LST'ing has become a dream, all of the stem are very pliable.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,036/0
    Given: 1,031/0

A lot of my plants are very "bendy". They all have very strong stems and everything is going great. I am just wondering why they are so pliable.
    Hey TB. Don't know why they're so bendy but all of my BS grow was the same way, very succulent, one had to be supported. Anyway I added the Dr. Willards (silica) and within 48 hrs they "stiffened up". They where still pliable enough to train but no longer floppy.

N
    I fall upon the earth, and I am embraced. Water gives me life, and I spring forth into the light. My roots run deep into the earth, and I am nourished. With wind and water, light and earth, I conspire to ease your pain and heal your wounds, to bring you peace and calm your mind, to give you wisdom and truth of heart.
    I return to the earth and I am embraced.I am Cannabis
    Nohibition

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by Shadimar View Post

-----

That is so informative and helpful, I can't even begin to thank you, Shadimar. Thank you so much! I'll be taking all of that into consideration from here on out in my selection process.

And thank you for fixing the points thing. You rock, brother. And quite funny to boot!!

Thumbs Up/Down

Day 27:

The pale BB has a beautiful, compact structure that is revealed when looked at from the side:

From above, up close, you can see her very white, very compact flower cola being formed:

She is a most unusual plant to me. A natural lollipop! This one would make a great SOG strain, packed in closely.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast