Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Seedling

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 206/0
    Given: 692/1

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

i love the lil yellow 1
    liikon nice
    u like to dry em out inbetwine watering huh?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,036/0
    Given: 1,031/0

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Hey Hush
    They look happy. I grew out the NS and the SB a few years ago, you won't be disappointed.

Peace

N
    I fall upon the earth, and I am embraced. Water gives me life, and I spring forth into the light. My roots run deep into the earth, and I am nourished. With wind and water, light and earth, I conspire to ease your pain and heal your wounds, to bring you peace and calm your mind, to give you wisdom and truth of heart.
    I return to the earth and I am embraced.I am Cannabis
    Nohibition

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 294/0
    Given: 220/0

Quote Originally Posted by Husbandnwife420 View Post
    i love the lil yellow 1
    liikon nice
    u like to dry em out inbetwine watering huh?
    Only in the beginning, because it helps to establish a nice root structure. But yeah as of this weekend that will stop. I'm going to start feeding them by a pump and irrigation tubing.

Thumbs Up/Down

I've been checking the plants every day for indications of sex and today I've finally begun seeing them! Interestingly enough, it's mostly the Northern Skunks that are displaying already. I'm guessing it has something to do with the fact that they are the only F1 hybrids in this grow, with the other two being pure varieties. So anyway, there are three definite male NS, three definite female NS, and one definite male BB. All the rest of the plants are showing no flowers yet.

Thumbs Up/Down

I found my first male SS today. Removed him. There are now 30 plants in here.

It dawned on me today that I need to destroy these males that show themselves first. I've read up a lot on the subject, and many of the legendary breeders have stated that they never breed with these eager males because they tend to lean to the hempy side of genetics, as opposed to the drug cultivar side. So, I think I'm going to dispose of all the males that have shown themselves so far. But then that makes me nervous that for whatever reason I'll end up having all remaining females, and I really want to make seeds this time around. So I need males. Oh, I don't know, maybe I'll keep them just until further males show themselves, THEN dispose of the early ones.

I have mentioned in here already that I'm going to be making seeds, right? If not, then I'm mentioning it now. Part of the reason I wanted to go with Peak Seeds this time around is that they have highly-regarded versions of pure lines that I would like to keep around in my seed vault for a long, long time. This time around I have Blueberry and Skunk. Next order will include Northern Lights... I like that they have these pure lines, so that I can finally try my hand out at some selective pollen chucking, and make a lot of seeds to keep around for my grandchildren to use some day when cannabis gets reduced to a single strain called Auto Kush.

Also, I will be trying my hand out at making F1 hybrids, too. I just... feel the need to preserve seeds for myself and my future generations, because of many reasons that are becoming more and more obvious as the years pass by.

Thumbs Up/Down

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Okay tonight I checked again and found some males that weren't showing themselves this morning. There were 2 more SS, 1 more BB, and 1 more NS. So for anyone keeping count, that means I've found a total of 9 male plants. What I went ahead and did is got rid of all 5 that were in the male cabinet right before this new batch of 4. In other words, all the plants that showed their balls first have been eliminated. I don't want their pollen.

So that means, as of now, I have 4 males: 2x SS, 1x NS, and 1x BB. The total number of plants that remain in the tent is 24. Some of these might still be males.

Thumbs Up/Down

Oops, I did my math wrong there, I was left with 26 plants, not 24. Anyway, I just found a new SS male this morning and he was removed to the male cabinet. That leaves me with 25 plants in here now.

Thumbs Up/Down

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Day 15 of flowering:

It's possible that all these plants are females at this point. There are a few Blueberries and a few Sweet Skunks that are not showing their sex yet. All the Northern Skunks left in here are females, though.

So I'm still watching every day for those last few to show pistils or balls. I can only assume that the ones that have not shown their sex yet are long-flowering phenos.

Also, I still don't know the sex of that light colored BB.

Flowering Member keepitmedicated's Avatar

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 946/2
    Given: 2,110/4

Hush that room of yours is goin to look wicked when all bloomed up. What are you flowering under again? What nutrient regime are you runnin? Them blueberrys are goin to look really cool not that productive though but will make for some amazing lookin plants. Keep it rockin.
    HARMONY..
    When we lose the right to be different
    We lose the privilage to be free
    Nelson Mandela

Thumbs Up/Down

This is a 1000w HPS, and I use Maxibloom nutes from beginning to end. And thank you! Yes, I agree, the BBs aren't all that vigorous, but they sure are beautiful. I used to grow DJ blueberry back in the late 90s and they were beautiful plants that didn't produce that much. I just definitely want to hold on to some pure BB in my stable. After this grow, I'll probably only grow blueberry in my small tent, under LED lighting, or maybe even a 400w HPS.

I actually don't know what light I'll be using in my small tent from here on out, because I had already bought an LED grow light to replace my 400, but then my last harvest from that tent (just last week) was my largest yield yet under a 400, so now I don't know if I want to replace it! But that's another thread for another time...

Thumbs Up/Down

Had to take a look at your pic again Im loving how that albino blueberry is standing out from the whole garden. Are you plannin on trying to keep that plant alive in seed or clone form? Take a little clone veg it out to a good size, Take a clone from that and reverse it with some Colloidal Silver and Seed that bitch. By that time you will see what that plant will produce and I know it will be somthing special. You have a responsability to help keep all them unique dank phenotypes that rarly get seen yet kept goin LOL. No not that deep but it would be great to get my hands on some femmed beans of that peticular phenotype and have a whole garden dedicated to it. Just what I would do or try.
    Was that yeild out of your little tent under the 400 watter different strains or the same one just a different method of growin. Make any sence? Is that why your conflicted about changin the hps for led?
    HARMONY..
    Nelson Mandela

Thumbs Up/Down

I know that BB just catches the eye! That's why I put it right in the middle like that.

So here's the deal about my plans. Normally, I always let my from-seed plants go directly to the mother cabinet and then I take clones of all of them, which get flowered out, and I make my decision on which of those mother plants I will keep. This time around I didn't do that... mostly because I was in a hurry, but also because I have a lot of optimism about being able to keep any of the plants I end up wishing to keep. In the distant past, I used to reveg plants all the time, and I have a 100% success rate doing this. Knock on wood, and all that stuff!!!! So what my plan has been this time is to cross my fingers and hope that any of these plants would shoot out side branches so I could clone those. But obviously since flowering was initiated at such a young age, that didn't pan out. Exactly NONE of the plants gave me any side branches. LOL. So that means I am left with revegging. I am very confident that I will be able to reveg any of my keepers. Yes, I am an optimist to begin with, but in my actual experience I have a 100% success rate, and I have revegged dozens upon dozens of plants in my 20 years of growing, so I think it's a safe bet.

Further along those lines, believe me, I have considered spraying CS (or STS) to make feminized seeds, but I don't want to take the chance of the selfing process somehow preventing the plant from revegging when the time is right. Also, I didn't know if this plant was male or female (I still don't, but at this point I'm sure I would have seen male preflowers, so I'm convinced it's a female). If it was a male, the default plan all along was to collect pollen anyway, so that would definitely have happened. If for whatever reason it still ends up being a male, I will still be doing that. But now that I'm convinced it's a female, I am just going to do what I have always done with plants that I plan on revegging. This mostly consists of not harvesting the entire plant (hard as that is to do!), switching the lighting over to MH and 18/6, and feeding a high nitrogen nutrient (I use Dynagro Grow for this).

What you said about the responsibility thing... LOL... I know you were half-joking, but you actually expressed exactly how I feel about things!!!! I actually do subscribe to that philosophy, and I plan on preserving as much as is worth preserving from any of the genetics that pass through my hands from here on through the rest of my life. I want my kids to be able to grow the good shit. So I absolutely plan on keeping, not just this BB, but ALL of my plants that are worth keeping, and/or demonstrate themselves to be unique and/or phenomenal in any way. Once I reveg this plant, I will not only use it in regular breeding experiments and projects, but I will also be selfing it, along with a few other prized mother plants in my stable. If I can ever produce a large amount of seeds of anything worthy, I will most likely donate some to this forum and my other one. Now that I think about it... does TY have any kind of "server fund donation" seed bank kind of thing? The other place I hang out at has something like that, and I would like to help do my part to keep these fantastic forums running. But this is not an immediate goal, and not something I see happening in the immediate future. I have never so much as kept male plants alive after showing themselves, and now I have lofty goals of making seeds to preserve certain genetics, so I have a lot of work ahead of me!

About my 400... I know exactly what you are saying there. You are correct, the large yield came from "new" genetics that I had not previously grown out before this, so I can't say that the large yield I got was or was not due to the genetics. I am half-convinced it was, because it is Super Silver Haze, and the flowering time was 84 days, which is like 3 weeks longer than most of my other strains I've grown. So I believe it is likely that the larger yield came from the longer flowering time. Anyway, here are the specs on that garden. It's a DR60 Secret Jardin tent, so it's 2' x 2' or 60cm x 60cm, which is very small. Then I have a 400 watt MH/HPS crammed in there, in a mini cool tube reflector. I have always typically yielded only somewhere in the realm of 4-4.5 ounces, regardless of all the strains I've grown in there, which all average around 9 weeks flowering time. But this time around I got 6.6 ounces of the SSH. It's a fantastic yield (for the small space) of a fantastic, soaring sativa. So that makes me think, should I even bother with the LED in that tent? Or should I just grow SSH under the 400 in there always, from here on out? What I'll probably do is grow the SSH in there again, but under the LED fixture, to see if the yield stays the same or changes at all, while doing everything else the same. In other words, I would try duplicating everything about that last grow, but only changing one thing: the light source.

I'll start up a thread when I finally get around to that point. I won't be doing that until this grow is finished, so it will be a few months.

Thumbs Up/Down

Right on sounds like you got it all figured out. There have been two strain pheno's that I wish I had kept or at least reveged a lower branch or two for another run. A hashbomb from Bomb seeds and KC 36 from Kc Brains. That latter one the Kc36 was a wicked fast finishin, Massivly stinkin potent as hell and huge yeilding pheno. I still have dreams about that one. From now on I got the silver kickin around just incase I run into another worthy pheno.
    HARMONY..
    Nelson Mandela

Thumbs Up/Down

That's smart, and that's what I will end up doing after I finally order some.

Well all the remaining plants are definitely females. The stragglers now have pistils appearing. So the male to female ratios are as follows:

Blueberry- 2:9
    Sweet Skunk- 4:8
    Northern Skunk- 4:8

Now, pictures from today:

Some of the plants are shooting upward, towering over the rest:

Blueberry:

Our lovely "albino" gal:

As you can see, she has gotten a little green with the photosynthesizing, but she never goes past what I would call a yellow-green. And in the margins of the leaves, and around the veins, I can see a lot of purplish pigmentation just waiting to express itself. The petioles are also very purple-red. This is a beautiful plant!

The Blueberries have definitely demonstrated their dislike for high doses of nutes. I will begin feeding them separately, which I just did. I'm giving them half-strength for now.

Seedling

Thumbs Up/Down

i to am very interested in the albino lil gal
    cant wait to c her flower
    nice job so far
    are u flowern in those pots or are u going to transplant ?

Thumbs Up/Down

No I'm flowering in these pots. The medium is coco, so if anything the pots are too big! Coco requires less volume of container size.

Thumbs Up/Down

The males:

Seedling

Thumbs Up/Down

handsom lookin bunch
    pritty boyz
    u gonna chuck some pollen ??

Thumbs Up/Down

Yep!

Seedling

Thumbs Up/Down

allright
    i love seeing fat pregnit gals lol
    not mine tho lol

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 825/0
    Given: 904/1

looking great hush, good luck the rest of the way, cant wait to see their progress.

Seedling

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 217/1
    Given: 330/9

I have found the dry cycle to be of utmost importance, something I am just learning to fully appreciate
    this time around, myself.

Looking great!

Thumbs Up/Down

Damn right lets them roots explode with a good wet/dry cycle. Good root zone = Great above ground growth.
    IIm likin how those guys have a nice cluster of pollen sacs. What strains are those with the biggest clusters? Good luck knockin them gals up, Have fun. Are you gonna collect some blueberry pollen?
    HARMONY..
    Nelson Mandela

Thumbs Up/Down

Yeah I have to admit I still haven't set up an automated irrigation yet. The pots are holding water for several days at a time between feedings so the root system could use some developing. I don't typically flower this young, like I did this time, so I'm adjusting as I go. I only did it this way because Peak recommends it for the SS.

Quote Originally Posted by keepitmedicated View Post
    IIm likin how those guys have a nice cluster of pollen sacs. What strains are those with the biggest clusters? Good luck knockin them gals up, Have fun. Are you gonna collect some blueberry pollen?
    That one plant in the foreground, which has a very dense floral cluster, that is the sole Northern Skunk male keeper. I disposed of the ones that were too eager to show their balls, and that left me with this handsome stud. The silhouette of that top cola almost resembles a tight female bud, doesn't it? And yes, I am collecting BB pollen. Which leads me to my next paragraph...

So, I need to talk about a few interesting developments that occurred over the weekend. It's interesting how sometimes things happen and you don't plan on it, and things just have a way of revealing that there was only ONE way this was going to go down, and you never had a choice in the matter, in the grand scheme of things. I actually enjoy when these moments happen. It helps me to remember my place in the Multiverse, and how we are all just a part of grand orchestration which is space-time unfolding. (Yes, I've been smoking lots of pure sativa lately).

Well, something alone those lines happened this weekend.

It all started when I realized that the 2nd male Blueberry I removed from the garden was, in fact, NOT a male after all. It was the second BB that I thought was revealing male flowers, and I didn't want to keep the first one that revealed, for any of the strains, so I took the 1st BB male out of the cabinet when the 2nd one went in. But for some reason, I couldn't bring myself to destroy him. I was admiring how tall he was, and how symmetrical his structure is, and I ultimately ended up just leaving him in the room that the cabinet is in, but outside of the cabinet. Just, on the floor.

So when I noticed that the male BB in the cabinet was throwing pistils, and there were no pollen sacs anywhere on the entire plant, I was immediately struck with a sinking feeling... the realization that I fucked up and would not be able to collect any BB pollen. That I wouldn't be able to make any BB seeds after all. And that was when I noticed the *actual* male plant, sitting on the floor beside the cabinet. It was still flowering away, and still looking very handsome. Even though he had been sitting in a dark bedroom, he had just begun opening his flowers, and I saw pollen dusted onto some of his top-most fan leaves.

Here I was with a female that I falsely accused of being a male, and hence removed her original spot from the powerful, bright garden, with no chance of going back in there. Then on the other hand I also had this male that was in fact my ONLY source of Blueberry pollen, no ifs ands or buts. There was no ability to cull any males. I had no selection process. If I wanted to make BB seeds, I would have to use the pollen from this fella. So the decision was already made. I picked that plant up, held him horizontally over the female that I accidentally brought in, and dusted the girl up with his pollen. I mean, I shook it all over her, with the fans off, making sure that pollen got all up in the hairs that are now abundant, and readily visible. I then put the male back into the male cabinet, to take his place as the sole male Blueberry in my stock, and fed him a nice bit of bloom formula.

The pollinated Blueberry female is now next door, in an adjacent cabinet, under an LED grow light. Because she was forcibly removed from her original home, I felt it was important to treat this accident like it was going to change my life somehow. For all I know, this female right here might end up producing the most wonderful BB kids ever. I don't know. But now, I've got a separate BB seed-making offshoot project that will be separate from the rest of my breeding adventures. The moral of this story is, when all the signs line up and point out very obviously that there is only 1 thing to do... I do it, and expect great things!

So here is the revised list of the male to female ratios for each strain:

Blueberry- 1:10
    Sweet Skunk- 4:8
    Northern Skunk- 4:8

Can you believe there was only 1 male Blueberry?!

Now in the male cabinet I have 1 Blueberry, 1 Northern Skunk, and 2 Sweet Skunks. Interestingly enough, without any planning on my part whatsoever, each of the male Sweet Skunks is a different pheno. I have noticed 2 distinct phenotypes with the female Sweet Skunks, and by pure luck, I got one male of each pheno.

Thumbs Up/Down

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quick shot of the garden:

The Blueberries:

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast