Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 84/0
    Given: 195/0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Default How to get security updates for Windows XP until April 2019

:excerpt from ghacks.net:

Microsoft's official support for the Windows XP operating system ended more than a month ago. While some companies and organizations are still receiving updates for the operating system, end users do not.

These companies pay Microsoft for that, usually because they were not able or willed to migrate computer's running Windows XP to another operating system before the extended support phase for the system ended.

There is another exception to the end of support rule: Windows Embedded Industry, formerly known as Windows Embedded POSReady, operating systems continue to receive updates.

What makes this interesting is the fact that Windows Embedded POSReady 2009 is based on Windows XP Service Pack 3, and that the security updates released for that system are identical with the ones that Microsoft would have released for XP systems.

The extended support for Windows Embedded POSReady 2009 systems ends on April 9th, 2019 which means that you can use the trick to get another five years of security patches for XP.

http://www.ghacks.net/2014/05/24/get...xp-april-2019/

───────▄──█──▄────────
    ───────█─▐█▌─█────────
    ─────▀▄▐▌▐█▌▐▌▄▀──────
    ──────▀▄█▄█▄█▄▀───────
    ───────▄▄▀║▀▄▄────────
    ░░░░░░░░WE░ARE░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░░╦░╦╗╔╗╦╔╗╦╗░░░░░░
    ░░░░░║░╠░║╦║║║║║░░░░░░
    ░░░░░╩╝╩╝╚╝╩╚╝╝╚░░░░░░

Seedling

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 5/0
    Given: 1/0

Interesting, but I am very wary of allowing any updates after the end of service. MS may sneak in a kill switch.
    I did download the reg. edit and will sit on it until I hear more about it's effect. Thank you.
    Last edited by Dirty Harry; 05-26-2014 at 05:06 PM.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 84/0
    Given: 195/0

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Harry View Post
    Interesting, but I am very wary of allowing any updates after the end of service. MS may sneak in a kill switch.
    I did download the reg. edit and will sit on it until I hear more about it's effect. Thank you.
    I've read a few others replies bout your very concern about Ms throwin a wrench in the works...so far workin fine on my old workhorse,i compare & check on the updates on my wife's two lap tops,she has a four year old dell with a win 7 OS,and the other is one is an hp we bought earlier this year with a win 8.1 Os...and the updates are very specific for the NET framework & Embedded POSReady operating systems...so far no issues at all...but i will keep ya posted upon any possible problem...since i have my system backed up on an external hardrive...so I'm not too worried about a any kill bits yet.

───────▄──█──▄────────
    ───────█─▐█▌─█────────
    ─────▀▄▐▌▐█▌▐▌▄▀──────
    ──────▀▄█▄█▄█▄▀───────
    ───────▄▄▀║▀▄▄────────
    ░░░░░░░░WE░ARE░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░░╦░╦╗╔╗╦╔╗╦╗░░░░░░
    ░░░░░║░╠░║╦║║║║║░░░░░░
    ░░░░░╩╝╩╝╚╝╩╚╝╝╚░░░░░░