Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 538/2
    Given: 315/0

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Good news! The HPxG13 is a girl -- she's showing pubes now at three tips.

I am so pleased -- I really wanted to try those meds, having kept the beans for so long. Too bad I had to use them all up just to get this one girl.

---

The HPxG13 is a *very* squat, short plant, so I opted to lift her up on top of a pint plastic container from sour cream or cottage cheese or something of that nature. Now her tops are level with the tallest plant.

The two in the back are a bit too tall for the same treatment, though their not as tall as "stretch". They'll just have to make do with being a little further from the lights, unless maybe I cut down a couple of the tall plastic containers I have to support them.

I want to stick with plastic due to the floor flooding at watering and feeding times (especially feeding -- I like to flood the plant when feeding so the soil is absolutely *soaked* with nutes.)
    Last edited by groo; 07-03-2014 at 04:46 PM.
    I do not fail -- I succeed at finding out what does not work.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,036/0
    Given: 1,031/0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Another female, that's good news. Are you going to take clones or not enough room?
    I remember using all kinds of containers to raise my smaller plants, that's when I came up with the idea of hanging my lights on a venetian blind so I could tilt them. Been doing that ever since. Cheap plastic 24" blind works great. My 600w is on a commercial quality 48" blind (salvage & re-purpose).

N
    I fall upon the earth, and I am embraced. Water gives me life, and I spring forth into the light. My roots run deep into the earth, and I am nourished. With wind and water, light and earth, I conspire to ease your pain and heal your wounds, to bring you peace and calm your mind, to give you wisdom and truth of heart.
    I return to the earth and I am embraced.I am Cannabis
    Nohibition

Thumbs Up/Down

No veg cabinet, mon. Mi powah iz 2 small.

Thumbs Up/Down

That's three females so far, and one still undecided. I'm getting concerned about just what that last one is. It's growth tip structure looks suspiciously male, but it's not showing balls so I haven't culled it. I guess I'll just have to wait another day or few for it to show properly.

All three of the shorter plants are now raised up on ukrainian tupperware containers. Even so, the tallest tip of the tall plant is taller than they are, so I had to raise the lights again today. The only saving grace to that tall plant is she's emphatically a she, and has bud sites all up and down her branches, so she should yield out rather nicely.

I'm really happy with my pruning efforts -- all four plants have responded nicely by filling in their branches with grow sites. If I had something like a 1K HPS, I'd expect to get about 8 inches of bud out of each plant, but with the poorer light penetration of CFLs I wouldn't be surprised if it peters out at 6 inches. Still, it should be a nice sized harvest, comparable to what I used to get under a 400W HPS 12 years ago.

Thumbs Up/Down

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Hah! That explains why that latest growth wasn't white -- it was another set of sugar leaves sprouting. They've all feathered out and turned green now, which eliminates the beginning of conical structure that was forming. I now have much higher hopes that the last one will be a "she" than I did this morning.

Thumbs Up/Down

Alas, that last one is indeed a male -- the ball sacs are showing now. And a culling I did go, a culling I did go, With a chop-chop-chop, a culling I did go...

It's not that big a deal -- this last one had a very sativa structure to it with long thing widely spaced blades, so it's unlikely to have produced good migraine meds in the first place (it's rare that sativas are good for migraines, at least that's my experience.)

Here are the three amigos, with the HPxG13 in the back left. (Or would it be Amigas for the female form?)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140705-ThreeAmigos.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	235.8 KB 
ID:	59832
    Last edited by groo; 07-05-2014 at 04:05 PM.

Thumbs Up/Down

So you're off to the races. Treat 'em nice bro, they'll take care of you.
    Of the five in 12/12 I had to knock down #4 Wonky Wanda was her name.lol
    The others are really doing well but she was a dog, lots of trichs but she just gave up so into the dehydrator and I'll throw her in with my trim for butter.
    Which strain was that last male and what are you left with. I was also curious if you scale your yields and what do get with your cabinet grow? I have friend whose situation is similar to yours and I built him a cabinet, he's curious what he can expect. He had a serious head injury and now suffers from severe, debilitating migraines. Any recommendations for strains would help as well.

N
    I fall upon the earth, and I am embraced. Water gives me life, and I spring forth into the light. My roots run deep into the earth, and I am nourished. With wind and water, light and earth, I conspire to ease your pain and heal your wounds, to bring you peace and calm your mind, to give you wisdom and truth of heart.
    Nohibition

Thumbs Up/Down

Dunno. It was a peak mix pack, so probably either the Sweet Skunk or the Trainwreck.

I've been nuking and smoking the leaves. What an interesting lemonade flavour (lemon-sweet, not lemon-chemical) and aroma.

But it *is* just as well I had to cull it. I'm feeling twitchy and edgy -- this is definitely not a strain that's good to use if you're bi-polar.

Thumbs Up/Down

I can see why you would have to be cautious with strains and their effects. I have OA and there are Indica strains that actually increase my pain rather than reduce it. They seem to make my nerves hyper-sensitive.
    Good reasons for caution.

Be well Bro.

N
    Nohibition

Flowering Member keepitmedicated's Avatar

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 946/2
    Given: 2,110/4

In my Cfl cab if I grow in a 2 gal pot and topp and use a net over top I get about 1 ounce dry per plant. This run I let them get all gangly so wont get that much on some. Also It has a lot to do with the strains Nonhibition, As you know some strains just dont produce that much and others are short and throw out the weight. Hope your friend does good with that cab you made him.
    HARMONY..
    When we lose the right to be different
    We lose the privilage to be free
    Nelson Mandela

Thumbs Up/Down

I don't know how to break it to you, KIM, but I used to get close to an ounce per twelve inch pot under less lumens than I've got going now, so I hope to produce a similar 0.5-0.75 ounces per plant, even allowing for summer heat. Under ideal conditions I'd expect close to an ounce out of each of the HPxG13 and the indica dominant Peak plant. I've done SCROG in the past, and an ounce out of a two gallon pot would have been rather disappointing.

Maybe I'll be disappointed with my CFL set up. I don't know. But so far I see nothing to indicate that I should expect any less than I got under a 400W HPS 12 years ago. I have one scraggly runt of a plant that should really be culled, but the two indica dominants are running right on par with what I'd expect in the third week of flowering. If anything, they're putting on buds *faster* than I would have expected, which I've chalked up to the benefit of an extra 500 lumens per square foot/plant or so of light power.

I was just puttering in the garden, rotating the plants and watering them, and finding myself pretty much awestruck by that HPxG13. The structure on that plant is *so* nice for a small cabinet. She stayed nice and short -- about a foot high in total -- she responded beautifully to topping and pruning, and has a good four inches of cola growth on each of her branches. I fully expect to see 0.75 ounces out of that plant, provided things don't get too fluffy due to summer heat (it could be as little as half a zip if the heat is as much of an issue as I fear it will be. It's not the peak of summer and I'm already seeing 90F+ days in the apartment.)

The tall one was getting annoyingly tall. One branch of hers was a good four inches above her other branches, and nearly six inches taller than anything else in the cabinet. So today I bit the bullet and trimmed her down a couple inches. It's not like she's been producing any spectacular cola growth -- this plant is very sparse and is expected to be a low volume producer. Hopefully she'll make up for quantity with quality, but I'm really not impressed with that genetic. I don't know which of Peak's crosses produced her, but she's definitely indica dominant on leaf and bud pattern, but sativa dominant on branch style and stretching. Most likely it's just a bad pheno, given how uneven her growth is even within the same plant. It happens, you know? Had I a bigger garden I'd probably cull her to make room for something more promising, and toss any clones I had.

The remaining Peak plant is very indica dominant. I'm suspecting a Kush X NL based on the squat, bushy, wide leafed growth. It's even more indica than the Northern Lights had been, and the only thing I see in Peak's gene bank that could do that is the Kush. Here's hoping -- I've wanted to try that cross as I waffle between a Kush X NL and a Kush X Sweet Skunk for my next order. I'll probably go with the Kush X NL, though, just because it'd be more indica dominant than a skunk cross. Then again, I can get *three* packs of Peak's beans for the price of *one* pack of Afghanistan from Sensi Seeds, so maybe I'll get *both*.

Thumbs Up/Down

Hey guys, There are so many variables when growing that each grower has to find what works best for them. Because groo has limitations just means he's learned how to do with what he has. It also means that he's more focused on dialing in a cabinet grow. KIM grows both indoor and out which spreads his knowledge but doesn't always allow for concentrating on one specific method. I grow indoors but I've become notoriously lazy so I like the KISS method. What's important is that we produce effective meds for our specific needs. In the end we all do pretty well and get to share our individual experience. I've learned from both of you and can pass it on to others.
    Keep on growin' brothers...keep on sharing.

N
    Nohibition

Thumbs Up/Down

Absolutely. Don't forget I'm starting off with about 3 years of cabinet-grow experience, just with a few variables tweaked (I used to grow soilless under 400W HPS, now I'm growing in soil, but with added nutes and under more lumens per square foot than with my old grow, despite being CFLs.)

Regardless, I got bored tonight so I took some pictures.

The first is the HPxG13, my personal favourite from this cycle. I really love the indica dominant structure, and the way she's stayed squat and splayed out, just *perfect* for a cabinet grow.

Second is the winning Indica from Peak, though I'm not 100% sure it's a Kush X NL I'm reasonably sure of that guess. I'll know it for sure come harvest and toking time -- most kushes have a very classic hashy spice/musk aroma and flavour, as do hashplant and afghani genetics. Which is no surprise -- they're all just minor variants on genetics from the same general part of the world.

Third is the scrawny sativa dominant, with the tallest and spindliest of the branches removed today because she was just stretching *way* too much along that branch. I'd rather three branches of good harvest than keep that one spindly branch around. If I had more genetics in the cabinet and a veg cab of clones and moms going, this plant would get the axe and be replaced with something more likely to produce good meds. I don't expect much from this plant at all, and with the sativa dominant structure there is a good chance the meds it produces will actually be *bad* for my migraines, in which case I'll have to give them away. (I have someone in mind that benefits from mood enhancing meds as opposed to couch lock strains -- they're always dealing with depression.)

Name:	20140707-HPxG13.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	210.1 KB 
ID:	59841

Name:	20140707-PeaksWinningIndica.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	189.2 KB 
ID:	59842

Name:	20140707-ScrawnySativaDominant.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	190.6 KB 
ID:	59843

Thumbs Up/Down

Hey groo, personally I'd just pinch that sativa, it would bring her down to size and slow her a little bit. Yes? No?
    Could be Peaks TS, looks very familiar. I've grown that one out a couple of times and it is very sativa dominant. If it is, and it's not for you, it's a good thing when you can pass it along to some one who needs it.

N
    Nohibition

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 884/0
    Given: 472/1

Rather than pinch it, roll the stem between you thumb and finger about two inches from the top until it's nice and flexible and then tie it down.

Most of my pots have a series of small holes along the rims so I can use hemp twine for LST, I suggest you gently lasso a leaf rather than tie to the stem.
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    Ceci n'est pas une signature du forum.
    Thank You for using S.h.a.d.i.m.a.r.: the world's most poorly coded chatbot.
    Substantially Humanlike Application Determined Insufficient Mediocre And Relatively annoying.

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by Shadimar View Post
    Rather than pinch it, roll the stem between you thumb and finger about two inches from the top until it's nice and flexible and then tie it down.

Most of my pots have a series of small holes along the rims so I can use hemp twine for LST, I suggest you gently lasso a leaf rather than tie to the stem.
    I stand corrected, that's a much better idea Shad.

N
    Nohibition

Thumbs Up/Down

Well, too late now. The shortest scraggly branch (which had two whole sites) and the tallest gangly branch (which had four whole sites) were clipped yesterday. (The scraggly short branch got clipped after I took the photos.) But I'll keep it in mind should I have to deal with a stretchy plant again -- I've never tried bending a plant, save for a Durban Poison that had a two foot cola in my cabinet 10-12 years ago. I laid that bitch on her side. Unfortunately she didn't produce shit for actual meds, being loose and fluffy as sativas often are.

I *will*, however, be ordering up some of those Peak KxNL beans, on the presumption that my indica lady from Peak is that cross. It's now taken top slot as my favourite plant after further inspection -- she has nearly twice the cola length that the HPxG13 does. She should be one hell of a producer -- definitely worth cloning if I had a veg cab.

Thumbs Up/Down

Keep that sativa and make some budder with it, Get that body stone happening for the fun of it when your heads not splittin and wanting to blow up?
    But hey hookin someone up who's in need is somthing special also. Whatever you do with it, it will still be nice to watch her flower. Dont look like its the texada NorthernLights, The leafs on every TNL seed I cracked have been really thin like a sativa. Not as thin as nevills haze but about 3/8ths thick finger blades. Great airflow allowin plants, No mold issues. Got some TexadaSkunk outdoors lookin like that though so I would agree with nonhib probebly a TexadaSkunk.
    HARMONY..
    Nelson Mandela

Thumbs Up/Down

By the way, that Peak strain I kept referring to as "Trainwreck" is "Texada". There used to be a Texada *Timewarp* but not a Texada *Trainwreck*. My bad.

As to budder, if it's bad for migraines, it's bad for migraines no matter how it's used. So if it's bad for migraines, it will be given away.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 884/0
    Given: 472/1

I was mildly curious about that, I thought perhaps it was half of a cross found in the mix pack.
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    Ceci n'est pas une signature du forum.
    Thank You for using S.h.a.d.i.m.a.r.: the world's most poorly coded chatbot.
    Substantially Humanlike Application Determined Insufficient Mediocre And Relatively annoying.

Thumbs Up/Down

It's the end of week 2 today, and they're looking pretty fuzzy all things considered. However, I did do some pruning last night (the inner growth was getting shaded), and I swapped around some bulbs so that the blue daylight ones are now in the corners of the light fixture instead of the center.

HPxG13 is on the right.

I chopped and smoked the sativaish bitch. Me, a migraine, and an unsatisfactory plant lead to the unhappy demise of the plant.

And yes, I do have a serious fungus gnat problem. I hope the little bastards don't get stuck in the buds once the trichs come in.

Name:	20140710-EndOfWeek2.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	173.6 KB 
ID:	59858

Thumbs Up/Down

hit the dollar store and get some of them fly strip sticky things and hang em around your plants. That will help keep them gnats in check. I used them last run when I had a few of them flyin around, They are attracted to the color and stick to them once they touch em.

Ive read that a layer of sand on the top of your soil will help get rid of em, A total dry cycle in between waterin will help also. Fungus gnats are not that bad and with a sticky strip and the sand you will rid yourself of em.
    HARMONY..
    Nelson Mandela

Thumbs Up/Down

I've been using sticky sticks (the yellow in the photo.) They do catch an obscene number of the little buggers, but they seem to breed as quickly as fruit flies. I've been having to change the strips at *least* twice a week because they're just *caked* with the little bastards.

Thumbs Up/Down

Hey groo, I had a problem with them a while back so I did some reading. I kept my soil a bit on the dry side, placed small potato wedges on top of soil, sprayed neem oil and used pest strips...bamm, no problem since. I make sure there is no other place for them like a garbage can with trimmings or any other soil around. I don't know if it was the cumulative effect or one specific thing but they're gone.

Good luck bro.

N
    Nohibition

Thumbs Up/Down

I'm going to try bottom-watering by placing the pots in a tray and filling the tray (I have a cake pan that should be just about perfect for the task.) Sounds pretty basic -- place pots in a tray/pan, fill pan, wait a few minutes for the water/nutes to capillary up through the medium/soil.

Seeing as I'm only using 8 inch pots, I see wilting starting after a day and a half, so I've been watering daily for the past week. I wouldn't be surprised if I end up having to water twice a day before the end of this cycle. (Presuming they continue to grow into thirsty alcoholics that always need a drink in their hand. )

I seem to recall reading somewhere that dusting the top with dolomite lime works. Unfortunately I seem to be fresh out of dolomite lime. Maybe I can find some at the end of the month. (Always waiting for payday except on payday itself. I'm usually broke within sixteen hours of my deposit, give or take the paying of the rent.) *LOL*

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast