Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,036/0
    Given: 1,031/0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

(Always waiting for payday except on payday itself. I'm usually broke within sixteen hours of my deposit, give or take the paying of the rent.) *LOL*
    Same boat, paid today broke tomorrow, but it could be so much worse.
    Anyway, when I buy meat I wash out the styrofoam trays and use those for under plants/seedlings. As for those thirsty plants...I put about 1 1/2 litres of mix in the Mini DWC and I have to add up to 3/4 litre daily and the humidity has been 70+ so the little buggers can knock it back. The fungas gnats will cause damage. First sign I saw was shiny areas on the fans, look for gnat poop on leaves as well, For now just cover your soil so they can't lay eggs in it, then blast 'em.
    Too bad about the sativa, I'm surprised you smoked it. Did it help?

N
    I fall upon the earth, and I am embraced. Water gives me life, and I spring forth into the light. My roots run deep into the earth, and I am nourished. With wind and water, light and earth, I conspire to ease your pain and heal your wounds, to bring you peace and calm your mind, to give you wisdom and truth of heart.
    I return to the earth and I am embraced.I am Cannabis
    Nohibition

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 538/2
    Given: 315/0

It didn't help in the sense I usually mean when I say a strain is good for migraines. But although I still had a migraine, I was so freakin' high after three fatties of dried leaf in a row that I really didn't give a shit, so I sat back on the computer and worked on my pet project. It's really coming together over the past few days -- I'm working on the manufactured GUI now, so it's in the final stages of development for a fully automated production of database scripts, database stored procedures, JDBC to access the stored procs, client-side JDBC for special cases like BLOBs and TEXT fields, an XML messaging layer for separating the client from the database services, an XML data loading implementation that accepts structured data objects with named-lookup references, and now a GUI to tie it all together.

Gee, when I list off everything that's going into it I'm no longer shocked I'm into year four of the 1.11 release. That's a lot of shit I've automated.

My goal is to teach the computer everything I know about Java and database development. I want to be able to field it as a "virtual consultant" that works for free. Can't beat free. Not even the Indians can beat free.

I even have people *using* it nowadays.
    I do not fail -- I succeed at finding out what does not work.

Thumbs Up/Down

I have no idea what that all means but its first and most important application is the purpose and satisfaction it gives you. Your release is software and mine is creating things from wood. I miss my shop. I "apparently" have ADHD, I really don't know because I never pursued it. If I am, I am...I do have some difficulty staying focused at times. When I can't focus I smoke a load and relax and just let my mind do whatever it wants to do. Is this meditation? I have no idea but it some how clears my mind and I'm more creative. To me this where a good sativa strain shines.
    Your plants look great, get those gnats under control bro. They gotta eat and your growing their lunch. It's important to disturb your soil (on top) daily to discourage larvae growth.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fungas gnat damage.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	155.4 KB 
ID:	59884Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fungus-Gnats.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	14.5 KB 
ID:	59883

N
    I fall upon the earth, and I am embraced. Water gives me life, and I spring forth into the light. My roots run deep into the earth, and I am nourished. With wind and water, light and earth, I conspire to ease your pain and heal your wounds, to bring you peace and calm your mind, to give you wisdom and truth of heart.
    Nohibition

Thumbs Up/Down

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Well, in a nutshell, it all means I've produced over 20,000,000 lines of source code in four years (I have several projects on the go that use my tool.) The biggest project I'd ever worked on in my life was about 1.5 million lines with a team of 200+ programmers writing it all. I now have one project of mine that's over 14 million lines *by itself.*

Heh. Just call me the craziest programmer you've ever met, and it'll be fair.

For now I'm doing what I can afford: bottom feeding/watering and stirring the top inch of soil daily (I can't very well stir it up three inches deep with pots that only have about six inches or so of soil in them.)

I miss soilless. I never had fungus gnats with soilless. And I'm pretty sure it's the soil *itself* that had the buggers in it, or the manure. I certainly hadn't seen them around my apartment before, though I did have a problem with fruit flies from a batch of bananas.

It is *possible* that the neighbours downstairs had fungus gnats that made their way upstairs through the heating vents, but I don't consider that very likely compared to the odds of infected soil. I think next time I'm mixing up soil batches I'm going to roast the soil at 250-300F for an hour before using it in a mix. I've read about people doing that with soil they collect from the wild outdoors to avoid bringing pests into the home. It does kill the beneficial fungi and such as well, so it's not an ideal approach, but better to be without these little buggers than with.

So far the plants don't seem to be hurting. Someone had mentioned "shiny leaves" -- I'm not seeing that. So I presume thats a good thing.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 883/0
    Given: 470/1

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

The gnats do get stuck in the trichs.

I'm thinking of baking some soil to sterilize for seedlings. I have a significant change in germination ratios when using fresh mix compared to the recycled mix I've been reworking for quite some time now. So I was considering a test where I simply bake a bit after the next time I make a pizza (rather than just letting the heat go to waste) and then compare the germination rates with the un-used mix. I have beneficial microbes added to a few of my ferts so they would be replaced quickly enough. I'm sure something would be lost, but the gains appear to easily outweigh it.

As you mentioned earlier as well, I suspect the manure for introducing larvae that hadn't shown themselves before.
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    Ceci n'est pas une signature du forum.
    Thank You for using S.h.a.d.i.m.a.r.: the world's most poorly coded chatbot.
    Substantially Humanlike Application Determined Insufficient Mediocre And Relatively annoying.

Thumbs Up/Down

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Some good news on the gnats. Switching over to bottom-watering for the past few days and stirring the top of the soil has *dramatically* reduced the population of the little bastards. I haven't seen one escape the open cabinet in over a day, and although I *could* replace my sticky strips they don't *need* to be replaced just yet. I *had* been replacing those every 2-3 days until now.

Thumbs Up/Down

There ya go. No larvae, no damage, keep disturbing the soil and nip the gnasty critters in the bud. How are your plants doing. I'm surprised with that many gnats that you don't have any noticeable damage...the ganja gods are smiling on you bro.

N
    Nohibition

Thumbs Up/Down

Well, there won't be any more pics until the end of the month -- I'm out of batteries for the camera.

Thumbs Up/Down

I picked up energizer batteries for cameras. They are a bit more $$$. I think about $18 (4) but they last a long time. At this point probably 4X longer. Worth the extra couple of bucks.

N
    Nohibition

Thumbs Up/Down

I use Energizers as well. I pick them up by the brick. My latest brick just happens to be gone -- I've had it since last fall. Time to pick up another one -- and hope I can catch another sale as good as I found for the last one. The main reason I ran out is I haven't seen any sales for the past couple of months -- I knew I was running low, but I was hoping to save a few bucks.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 294/0
    Given: 220/0

Top dress your soil with diatomaceous earth, and re-dress after every watering. This will destroy any and all remnants of any fungus gnat populations. I used to do this all the time when I ran soil.

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by groo View Post
    I use Energizers as well. I pick them up by the brick. My latest brick just happens to be gone -- I've had it since last fall. Time to pick up another one -- and hope I can catch another sale as good as I found for the last one. The main reason I ran out is I haven't seen any sales for the past couple of months -- I knew I was running low, but I was hoping to save a few bucks.
    The ones I have in my camera come in a 4 pack. They are are for cameras etc. I bought them well over a year and a half ago. I take pictures in the back yard, the grand kids etc, plus all my bud shots and I have an external full of those. I don't often need my flash but I do use it sometimes.They are "Energizer recharge" (not rechargeable). 2300mAh
    I also bought a pile of rechargeables with charger on e-bay a few years back. They come from the manufacturer, really cost effective.

The main reason I ran out is I haven't seen any sales for the past couple of months -- I knew I was running low, but I was hoping to save a few bucks.
    How quickly we come to rely on sales. Before disability I was too stupid to bother.

N
    Nohibition

Thumbs Up/Down

I found some batteries, so now I can show my shame: there is only one branch left. I schmoked the rest in a desperate attempt to escape migraines.

It's the Kush X NL, I believe. At least she's filling in nicely and should have a nice cola if she survives the next 5 weeks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140717-EndOfWeek3.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	254.8 KB 
ID:	59929

Thumbs Up/Down

With this rain tonight, she bit the green weiner.

But I'm not in any pain.

Flowering Member keepitmedicated's Avatar

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 946/2
    Given: 2,110/4

is that all that is left groo? one branch from the lot? too bd your not closer I'd hook you up with some medible till you can get things running right. Did them early flowers give you any relief?
    Thats more the reason why I grow auto's with my photo's. That way I always have somthin to smoke while waitin.
    HARMONY..
    When we lose the right to be different
    We lose the privilage to be free
    Nelson Mandela

Thumbs Up/Down

That sucks groo, sorry to hear that. Just the one plant I hope?

N
    Nohibition

Thumbs Up/Down

Nope. All gone.

And I'm not tryijng again until the weather cools off enough to put the ventilation system in the window. With the vent blowing out an open window, most of the hot air just gets blown back in by the breeze and it ends up hot as fuck in here.

So maybe October time frame.

Thumbs Up/Down

That sucks.

You need more room Brother. Even with limited cash, you never know what little gem you might uncover.

N
    Last edited by Shadimar; 07-18-2014 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
    Nohibition

Thumbs Up/Down

I finally found some diatamaceous earth. The local Co-Op Agro Centre carries it as an anti-caking agent to mix with feed. 2kg jug for $11.50 + tax.

I was putting off checking with them because I figured they'd only have 50lb bags -- most of their customers are farmers who want stuff in bulk.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 122/0
    Given: 59/0

Groo sad to hear of your migrains, I hope you find some relief. That is a nice cola..hope it blossoms well for you..gotta tag a thread with a name like this has. I'm taggin along for the finally..DD
    Please join me in my Fall 2012 Cannabis Flowers Pix thread..
    DoobieDuck the Macro Pix
    Don't forget, your comments and "likes" may be the only recognition Breeders, Photographers and Growers receive after putting in the hard work that they do to share theirs here with you. That appreciation goes a long way towards inspiring them to continue sharing it, Respect....DD

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456