Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 538/2
    Given: 315/0

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Default Try, try, try again

I just put down a whack of Hashplant X G13 beans to germinate (they're not all viable because they're so old, so I set out a lot of extras -- I'm hoping to have at least seven pop.)

I may have to stop this crop part way through if it smells too much -- I won't be able to vent out the window because I need to leave the window open for the summer to get any fresh/cool air into the apartment's living room. But I decided "what the hell -- it's worth a shot."

In the summer the windows are always open, so maybe odour won't be an issue with the steady breezes. One can hope.

If I'm wrong, all I'll lose is some time, power, and soil.
    I do not fail -- I succeed at finding out what does not work.

Flowering Member keepitmedicated's Avatar

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 946/2
    Given: 2,110/4

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Plant some window flowers that are always throwin off a sweet scent, That will help for sure. G-13 x Hashplant sounds like a strong plant so you should do ok with germinating them and hashplant is a lowish odor producer. Well good luck on germinating them beans groo Ill be watchin...K.I.M.
    HARMONY..
    When we lose the right to be different
    We lose the privilage to be free
    Nelson Mandela

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,036/0
    Given: 1,031/0

Hey Groo

Be careful brother. Do you have any Peak Northern Lights? I didn't have any odor issues with the strain at all and it's great for pain. Might be a perfect strain for your situation.

N
    I fall upon the earth, and I am embraced. Water gives me life, and I spring forth into the light. My roots run deep into the earth, and I am nourished. With wind and water, light and earth, I conspire to ease your pain and heal your wounds, to bring you peace and calm your mind, to give you wisdom and truth of heart.
    I return to the earth and I am embraced.I am Cannabis
    Nohibition

Thumbs Up/Down

I do not want to use paid-for beans for a summer grow given the heat issues that this place has in August. Besides, I've only got 3 of the NLs left so I want to use those for breeding in the fall.

Everyone is perpetually worried about odour; I'm not. If odour becomes a problem, I'll pull the garden. There is nothing else I can do this summer -- next year I'll have an air conditioner so I'll be able to use my window venting system, but this summer I need to leave the windows open.

Period.

No arguments.

No discussion.

It HAS to be this way.

Thumbs Up/Down

Sorry if that comes off harsh, but I flat out do not have money or options to do otherwise. Hence "has".

Thumbs Up/Down

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by groo View Post
    Sorry if that comes off harsh, but I flat out do not have money or options to do otherwise. Hence "has".
    I hear ya Bro.
    I just got some cash from income tax so I pinched a little for the grow.

N
    I fall upon the earth, and I am embraced. Water gives me life, and I spring forth into the light. My roots run deep into the earth, and I am nourished. With wind and water, light and earth, I conspire to ease your pain and heal your wounds, to bring you peace and calm your mind, to give you wisdom and truth of heart.
    Nohibition

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 12/0
    Given: 2/0

Give Er shit groo

Shame you didn't live somewhere you could throw some in the ground. Nothing more satisfying than a 10 footer on some government owned land

Flowering Member

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 19/0
    Given: 0/0

Some get rid of odor thru their toilet they run the vent thru the water into the pipe past the trap and let it come out the vent. Meth cookers trick i believe

Thumbs Up/Down

Im using an old second bathroom in my place that I took all the plumbin out and now use that hole to bring in my fresh air. Wonderful how it keeps my cab at a nice temp and the fresh air constantly really helps.
    HARMONY..
    Nelson Mandela

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 12/0
    Given: 2/0

Or if it's the only toilet and you can find your vent stack, put a Y in. Make sure it's a tight seal and disconnect and cap if there is no fan pressure so you don't get a nasty back draft.

Thumbs Up/Down

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Just to clarify: This is supposed to be my grow thread for photos and stuff. Not a "how to build a grow" thread. The cabinet thread is in this same sub-forum. Please stay on-topic.

Thumbs Up/Down

Good luck Groo.
    Nohibition

Thumbs Up/Down

I have a feeling this cycle may be a non-starter.

I helped my Mom plant potatoes for several hours today. It was a hot day -- about 90F/34C.

I left the towel over my plate of beans on the back of the computer.

When I got back this evening and checked on them, the plates were *hot*, not warm.

I suspect the beans may have been literally cooked.

Thumbs Up/Down

Then again, maybe not -- it looks like a couple are popping this morning. But I didn't look that closely yesterday so I don't know if they were popped before the excessive heat or not. I haven't been paying very close attention because these beans are old and take 3-4 days to pop when they do. Today is only the third day, so if they *are* starting to pop they're right on schedule.

Thumbs Up/Down

Hey groo

I had beans soaking on the counter last summer and when my wife was cleaning up she set them on the window sill. They ended up in direct sunlight and got really hot. They where there all afternoon but popped ok and no grow issues. I made an envelope by folding a piece of orca film black side in, paper towel inside and up on the fridge, never let me down yet.

N
    Nohibition

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 542/2
    Given: 357/1

Be interesting if they do take. Love some of the crosses that came from the hashplant x g13. Free Leonard was one of them.

LT

Thumbs Up/Down

Well, no more have popped and they show no signs of cracking, so I tossed that lot and set the Peak Mix beans to germinate. The two that *had* popped have been put in soil, but I don't have much hope of them growing. I put down 9 of the mix beans, because there is a good chance a couple of them are blueberries that won't pop without help (which is fine by me -- blueberry is way to fussy about nutes to even *try* to grow with my crude setup -- 90% chance they'd hermie on me.)

Perhaps needless to say, but I don't have a towel over the plates any more. I did put a piece of cardboard on top of the plates to help keep the beans in a darker environment, though.

One of these days I'll try the remaining 7 HPxG13 beans, but for now I may as well go with the fresh Peak beans and get things moving. It's not like you want to use mixed beans for breeding, seeing as you have no idea what they are. The main thing for me was to avoid using the last of the Northernlights beans, never mind the premium hyper expensive Warlock beans I was gifted.

The Warlocks will go down in the fall, when it's cooler and I've had time/money to pick up a proper blower to get more air movement happening. (The blower I plan on buying moves twice as much air as the duct fan I'm using now.)

I also found/remembered an old pack of Grand Daddy Purps X AK47 beans I had. As far as I recall only one of those popped when I tried a test with them a few months back, so I didn't want to futz with them right now, either. I've never tried Grand Daddy Purps as far as I can recall, and AK47 is actually bad for migraines, so I'm really leery of that particular cross.

Thumbs Up/Down

Note: the poor germination rate could be just because of age -- I was getting less than 30% popping with my test germination a while back without any "cooking" happening. The tails on the two that did germinate didn't seem to have grown throughout the day, hence my doubting that they'll "take" and break soil. But I've 9-10 of the four inch pots, so everything that I can will get potted, and then I'll cull the weaklings when I have to prune down to a maximum of seven 8-inch pots.

With the heat these plants will be enduring, whatever meds result are likely to be loose and fluffy rather than tight and dense. I figure I'll be lucky to get half a zip out of each female, even with topping (which I plan to do again.)

Seeing as I saw no signs of any sort of nute overload on the first cycle (a shortage near transplant, if anything), I boosted the organic tomato ferts to 8 tablespoons into a 6-2-1 litre mix (9 litres total) of potting soil, manure, and peat moss (note I boosted the manure by 25-30% as well, as it's only a .5-.5-.5 fertilizer -- my previous cycle was an 8-2-1 mix.) I dare not go richer without testing.

Thumbs Up/Down

It might be benificial to let that soil mix with that manure sit and cook for a week or two in a tote before you use it. Lets the "hot" manure and stuff gel with all the buffers and lets the soil become more gentle to your roots.
    It got hot in my box today I forgot to open up the air intake all the way this morning and it got to 100 Deg in there. Thanks for the two computer fans moving air around and the one for exhaust. Gonna have to install a fan on that opening to help. I might get one of those airduct booster fans to put over top that. I have a few at work and now that Im workin again I should grab one up to see if it will help.
    I had to install my air conditioner today, We didnt get a spring this year. It went from winter to summer, Its a bit of a bummer man. Good luck with them hashplant beans I hope they work out for you. Good luck groo...K.I.M.
    HARMONY..
    Nelson Mandela

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 883/0
    Given: 470/1

I should note that even dead seeds will still swell up and pop out a tail, but will not advance beyond that.

The reason I know this is because toasted seeds still do the pseudo germination and they were in a popcorn popper a few days prior.

So if you do see them pop a tail and then notice they're dead, it may not be your* fault at all

*It's your fault, Groo.
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    Ceci n'est pas une signature du forum.
    Thank You for using S.h.a.d.i.m.a.r.: the world's most poorly coded chatbot.
    Substantially Humanlike Application Determined Insufficient Mediocre And Relatively annoying.

Thumbs Up/Down

That's more like it! Not even 12 hours and a couple of the Peak beans have cracked and started showing the tips of their tails.

If by some fluke all 9 Peak beans crack (I mean, it could be luck of the draw that there are no Blueberries in the 9), I'll pull out the HPxG13 unlikely-to-grow beans and replace them with Peak's.

Yeah, Shad, when I test germed these HPxG13s a few months ago, they cracked and sprouted tails, but I had noticed the tails didn't seem to be stretching out much if at all. Given that they've just been in baggies in a stash box for going on ten years, they could well be dead. But I'm a stubborn mofo who has to try and see for himself, eh?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 883/0
    Given: 470/1

I've been germing beans made in the winter of 06/07 and they were still very much viable despite the age

The other bit though, I noticed quite some time ago with food-grade seeds that were dead yet appeared to germinate anyway merely due to swelling and water absorption
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    Ceci n'est pas une signature du forum.
    Thank You for using S.h.a.d.i.m.a.r.: the world's most poorly coded chatbot.
    Substantially Humanlike Application Determined Insufficient Mediocre And Relatively annoying.

Thumbs Up/Down

It's not so much the age as the poor storage. They were just in a stash box, so hotter'n hell in the summer and chilly in the winter, no humidity control, etc. Just in little baggies in a box, so the only "special treatment" they got was being kept in the dark. They weren't particularly mature beans to start with, either -- true pollen chucker stuff.

The Peak Mix beans were mostly on the small side, but they've all swelled up to at least double their original size. None have cracked just yet, but it's only been about 17-18 hours in wet paper towels for them.

What I thought were cracked beans were just white stress lines showing up from all the absorption. A couple also have stretched out what look almost like tails, but they still have hull over them. Weird. I've never seen a hull stretch like that before.

Thumbs Up/Down

Hey groo
    I would think being in sealed baggies should eliminate any humidity issues. Mother nature throws a lot more at them than we do.
    I had some bag seed that sat in my bro-in laws console all summer and they all cracked ok. Hope these work for you bro.

N
    Nohibition

Thumbs Up/Down

Them small beans could be the Texada northern Lights, Those were the smallest seeds in the collection that I have noticed. I had a chance to look at all the strains seeds that peakseedsbc had when sendin out the c-99 grow prizes and noticed that the TT x NL were the smallest and fastest to germinate. IF so you will have some really hardy plants there, I am likin that TNL a lot now a days, Have a couple in the cab now and several outside. Very heat and drought resistant. Should be a perfect match for your cab this summer, Easy to get a big yeild out of her. Great effect also for headaches, Nausea, Multiple Sclerosis, and other ailments. Great day smoke....K.I.M.
    HARMONY..
    Nelson Mandela

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast