Embryo

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 22/0
    Given: 4/0

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Cool PK Ultra...Outdoors!

Hello guys,

As some of you might remember, I started some PK Ultra indoors about a month ago. The plan was always to put them outside once they were viable and the weather agreed. Well something came up about a week ago and the gals were forced outside. The first two days outdoors were super hot for this time of year, around 80*. Then they were hit with a windy storm that dumped at least an inch of rain in 24 hours. The next three days were around 60*, but dipped down to 38* at night. Our area was under a frost advisory and everything.

Here is a picture of them before going outside. The tallest one was around 5 inches...

Between the stress of transplanting, the shock of real sunlight, the storm, the super cold temperatures, and my lack of experience, I figured the gals were dead..or at least seriously hurting.

So I paid them a visit yesterday and what I found literally amazed me. Not only are the gals alive, they are thriving. Even the smallest girl had doubled in size. Their stalks have tripled in diameter, wind doesn't even phase them now. The shortest was around 10 inches. Provision has some really strong genetics in their strains, which is evident in how much these girl grew in the worst conditions. I won't bore you guys with anymore text...

This gal was LST'd when first put outside.

She was LST'd yesterday (forgot to take a before pic)

I decided to LST the second one yesterday after seeing how well the first one was doing. They will probably be topped/FIM'd after they make it all the way around the edge of the pot. I'm holding off on the second two though. I am considering topping them and LST'ing the branches to keep them even. But I'd like to hear what you guys think I should do with them. In any case, I'd like to know when would be optimal to top them.

Vegetative Member Provisionseeds's Avatar

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 566/0
    Given: 103/0

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by one arm steve View Post
    Hello guys,

As some of you might remember, I started some PK Ultra indoors about a month ago. The plan was always to put them outside once they were viable and the weather agreed. Well something came up about a week ago and the gals were forced outside. The first two days outdoors were super hot for this time of year, around 80*. Then they were hit with a windy storm that dumped at least an inch of rain in 24 hours. The next three days were around 60*, but dipped down to 38* at night. Our area was under a frost advisory and everything.

Here is a picture of them before going outside. The tallest one was around 5 inches...

Between the stress of transplanting, the shock of real sunlight, the storm, the super cold temperatures, and my lack of experience, I figured the gals were dead..or at least seriously hurting.

So I paid them a visit yesterday and what I found literally amazed me. Not only are the gals alive, they are thriving. Even the smallest girl had doubled in size. Their stalks have tripled in diameter, wind doesn't even phase them now. The shortest was around 10 inches. Provision has some really strong genetics in their strains, which is evident in how much these girl grew in the worst conditions. I won't bore you guys with anymore text...

This gal was LST'd when first put outside.

She was LST'd yesterday (forgot to take a before pic)

I decided to LST the second one yesterday after seeing how well the first one was doing. They will probably be topped/FIM'd after they make it all the way around the edge of the pot. I'm holding off on the second two though. I am considering topping them and LST'ing the branches to keep them even. But I'd like to hear what you guys think I should do with them. In any case, I'd like to know when would be optimal to top them.
    Those look awesome steve, i would recommand fim/top and lst if you have time. it will increase your yield =D

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 825/0
    Given: 904/1

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

looking good steve, those are some hardy gals you have. how much veg time do you think they will have before they start to flower. cant wait to see how big they get. your gonna love the smoke, I had two pk pheno's they both were good but look for the og 18 phenol it's a stinker.

Embryo

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by Provisionseeds View Post
    Those look awesome steve, i would recommand fim/top and lst if you have time. it will increase your yield =D
    Thanks! I've been trying my best, just hope it works out lol.

So do ya think the second two are ready to be topped?

Also, after they are topped, are you suggesting LST'ing the entire plant (like my first two) or just the secondary stems that are becoming dominant?

Quote Originally Posted by samhigh View Post
    looking good steve, those are some hardy gals you have. how much veg time do you think they will have before they start to flower. cant wait to see how big they get. your gonna love the smoke, I had two pk pheno's they both were good but look for the og 18 phenol it's a stinker.
    I was thinking the same thing, these girls have the potential to get big. The days start getting shorter around the end of June, however, we won't be on a true 12/12 until mid September. I'm hoping they will sense the days getting shorter/different spectrum of light and begin flowering well before then. I honestly don't know what to expect lol. You guys will be along for the ride though!
    Last edited by one arm steve; 05-21-2014 at 09:50 AM.

Thumbs Up/Down

steve what I did was topped them, let the bottom branches grow out abit then tie it down to spread it
    out. it worked really well, good luck cant wait to see your progress.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,036/0
    Given: 1,031/0

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by samhigh View Post
    steve what I did was topped them, let the bottom branches grow out abit then tie it down to spread it
    out. it worked really well, good luck cant wait to see your progress.
    The next time I'm in the city I'm going to pick up a pile of fishing sinkers (cheap) and just hang weights from the branches with 14 gauge wire to LST. It seems to me that this would be easier than tie downs, you can move them around, no drilling holes etc and you can use more weight/less where necessary. What do you guys think?

You could sing christmas songs when doing LST. lol

Well the weather outside is frightful
    but my plants are so delightful
    And since there's no where to go
    Let 'em grow, let 'em grow, let 'em grow.

Sorry Steve, posting under the influence...lol

N
    I fall upon the earth, and I am embraced. Water gives me life, and I spring forth into the light. My roots run deep into the earth, and I am nourished. With wind and water, light and earth, I conspire to ease your pain and heal your wounds, to bring you peace and calm your mind, to give you wisdom and truth of heart.
    I return to the earth and I am embraced.I am Cannabis
    Nohibition

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 884/0
    Given: 478/1

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Just remember that whereever you top them is where the branches are going to spread out from - in other words when the flowered plant is mature, that will more or less be the 'base' of the bush
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    Ceci n'est pas une signature du forum.
    Thank You for using S.h.a.d.i.m.a.r.: the world's most poorly coded chatbot.
    Substantially Humanlike Application Determined Insufficient Mediocre And Relatively annoying.

Flowering Member keepitmedicated's Avatar

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 946/2
    Given: 2,110/4

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Great start oudoors steve, glad they are takin to the weather nicely. I just got mine out yesterday and they looked like yours did when you put them out. I planted directly into the ground though to make for monster plants. I will start to top mine in about a week when they get comfortable. I will top them once and then bend(lst) the shoots that grow from that. My plants started to flower mid july last year but Im up here at lat 48 NWO and the weather has finally started to warm up. You will be ok with what you got goin on steve and will be rewarded for your work. keep em happy and they will rock and produce. Stay safe my man...K.I.M.
    HARMONY..
    When we lose the right to be different
    We lose the privilage to be free
    Nelson Mandela

Thumbs Up/Down

This is gonna be a good journal, i can feel it!

Thumbs Up/Down

hey steve how are the pk doing? really interested to see how they do outside, they could be monsters.

Embryo

Thumbs Up/Down

Hey guys! I'll post some pictures soon, been super busy lately. It's been super hot and dry, so mites (or something) have been munching on the girls. So I've started using a neem oil/soap combo in hopes of getting ride of them. They have also been given a preventative fungicide treatment. They are still moving right along though!

Thumbs Up/Down

human hair around the plants help with some critters, cant wait to see the progress.

Thumbs Up/Down

I let Charlie take a piss and a dump if he can around my plot. That with some little tufts of his fur is really doin a great job of keepin the deer and rabbits away for the time being. The caterpillers and grasshoppers should be making an appearance pretty soon. So its gonna be a good thing your treating now with neem, It will act as a repelant to them things wanting to crunch down on them plants of yours. I will probebly give a preventative spray of neem and kelp next time out myself. Lookin forward to seein some updated pics...K.I.M.
    HARMONY..
    Nelson Mandela

Embryo

Thumbs Up/Down

Alright guys, here are the pics I promised. These are from 5/26. They are in the same order as the pictures I first posted...

#2 (broke the biggest branch of this girl off while LST'ing )

Embryo

Thumbs Up/Down

These are from 5/29...

#3-4

Thumbs Up/Down

Wow just comparing the #1 picture in 3 days you can tell a big diff.the trick to lst is that you want to do it before the branch or stock gets hard

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Embryo

Thumbs Up/Down

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

These are from 6/4...

#3-4

Embryo

Thumbs Up/Down

#1: She was topped on 5/29. I might chop her again if she insists on getting bigger.

#2: Not topped yet, probably will happen next time I visit them.

#3: I attempted to FIM this one on 5/26 but I think I didn't take enough. The main stalk is still growing but has really slowed down. Is this the point of FIM'ing? I'm thinking I should cut her again but want you guys advice. The second to last picture shows the leaves that were cut during the "FIM".

#4: She was topped on 5/26, but she is still growing more up than out. I'm going to top this girls secondary branches once they are big enough too. I might even take another complete section off the top since she is so tall. I'd also like your guys advice about this too.

#3-4: Their lower branches of both these girls were LST'd on 6/4 to get them away from the main stalk and into the sun (as seen in the last picture).

My pest problems are coming from the small creatures at the moment; caterpillers, tiny grasshoppers, etc. I'm trying organic neem oil and caterpillar killer to fight the bugs right now, synthetic stuff will come as a last resort.

Let me know what you guys think I should do about the topping/Fiming. I'm very worried #4 has gotten too tall, and really dunno if #3 was even FIM'd properly. Thanks in advance guys!

Thumbs Up/Down

#1: She was topped on 5/29. I might chop her again if she insists on getting bigger.

#2: Not topped yet, probably will happen next time I visit them.

#3: I attempted to FIM this one on 5/26 but I think I didn't take enough. The main stalk is still growing but has really slowed down. Is this the point of FIM'ing? I'm thinking I should cut her again but want you guys advice. The second to last picture shows the leaves that were cut during the "FIM".

#4: She was topped on 5/26, but she is still growing more up than out. I'm going to top this girls secondary branches once they are big enough too. I might even take another complete section off the top since she is so tall. I'd also like your guys advice about this too.

#3-4: Their lower branches of both these girls were LST'd on 6/4 to get them away from the main stalk and into the sun (as seen in the last picture).

My pest problems are coming from the small creatures at the moment; caterpillers, tiny grasshoppers, etc. I'm trying organic neem oil and caterpillar killer to fight the bugs right now, synthetic stuff will come as a last resort.

Let me know what you guys think I should do about the topping/Fiming. I'm very worried #4 has gotten too tall, and really dunno if #3 was even FIM'd properly. Thanks in advance guys!
    Hey Steve, are those plants getting more shade and causing it to stretch? Thats what it looks like. As for fimming you must have missed. If done correctly you should have 4+ branches instead if one main.

Embryo

Thumbs Up/Down

They aren't out in the open, that's for sure! lol Their placement on a south-facing hill gives them about 10-11 hours of direct sunlight and 4.5 hours of in-direct sunlight each day. #3 and #4 look particularly whacky in the last pictures because I had to move them out of direct sunlight for about an hour to prevent damage from applying the neem oil. They immediately started twisting/bending toward the light.

I'll def completely top #3 next time I'm out, didn't think I had FIM'd it right.

What do ya think about cutting another section off #4? That would make the 'base' of the bush about 6 inches lower.

Thanks Provision! You know I always value your input!

Thumbs Up/Down

They aren't out in the open, that's for sure! lol Their placement on a south-facing hill gives them about 10-11 hours of direct sunlight and 4.5 hours of in-direct sunlight each day. #3 and #4 look particularly whacky in the last pictures because I had to move them out of direct sunlight for about an hour to prevent damage from applying the neem oil. They immediately started twisting/bending toward the light.

I'll def completely top #3 next time I'm out, didn't think I had FIM'd it right.

What do ya think about cutting another section off #4? That would make the 'base' of the bush about 6 inches lower.

Hey steve, the best way to think of this is Security and Safety first. If having them too tall is a risk for you then you dhould do it. I would to be honest. Our strains do better fim/lst/topped. I hope that was helpful for you. Stay safe !

Seedling

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 217/1
    Given: 330/9

We live in the city where everyone virtually lives in each others pockets. I always do one outdoors and train it down
    low, vine style. I only do the one but I am sure I could fill the yard and no one would be the wiser.

If that was in my backyard I would dig a hole in the ground and bury the pot bringing the height down and then I would tie
    her, Steve. I usually use a piece of bendy metal and bend it into a U shape, feeding the main stem through the wire which is
    pushed into the ground, training the plants laterally along the ground. I train mine right from the start with heavy bending and
    LST'ing so the stem doesn't risk damage. Using fulvic and humic acid has always helped my plants to be more flexible. This is
    something that really stood out when I started adding Fulvic acid to the feeds.

Thumbs Up/Down

Looking mighty good Steve, Your getting some really good growth. Pinching (supercroppin) the main stem will help the bottom branches bush out also. Firmly squish the stock till you feel the fibres breaking then gently as to not break it but bend it right over. It will produce a knuckle but the bottoms will stretch up to the main and verticle growth will slow down. They recover better with that then a direct cut to the main. I topped a couple of my photo's and lst's one to find out how much more I can yeild off of them then the regulars Im leaving to do their thing. Keep up the great work steve, They look fantastic. Oh ya are the bottoms cut out of them pots of yours? That may be why they are growing so fast, The roots dont have any stopped growth so the plant keeps on growin. I found that growing in pots with bottoms keep them from growin to tall. Stay safe...K.I.M.
    HARMONY..
    Nelson Mandela