Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 15/0
    Given: 12/0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Default The best strain of myco

Hi all!

I've been using PRO MIX HP for my tomato gardening for some time now. And when I started growing marijuana I continued using PRO MIX HP because I have always had much success with it.

This website says it has mycorrizhae in it, specifically the glomus intraradices strain. Does anyone know the difference of myco strains? Just wondering what the best is for growing marijuana.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 881/0
    Given: 470/1

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Those are the genus and species of the particular microbe, be it fungal or bacterial.

Additionally the mycorrhiza come in two major flavours, one that penetrates the cell wall of the host plants' roots and another that does not. Remember it's a beneficial symbiosis so the endomycorrihiza should not be thought of as negative or inferior.

I don't think you're going to find that any one species of microbe is going to be the key to a better garden, however if you check the packaging on organic fertilizer blends, particularly the starter feeds, you'll often find a list of the cultures that they've included and how many Colony forming Units per given amount so you can compare with others.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mycorrhiza
    For example, I've recently picked up a bag of typical organic fertilizer (ie bone meal, feather meal, etc) that has 16 various microbes added, and the one I typically use has around double. While you can find specific bacteria for legumes for example, I think that taking the broad approach with cannabis is what we have to work with until a mycologist discovers a fungus that particularly loves cannabis roots.
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    Ceci n'est pas une signature du forum.
    Thank You for using S.h.a.d.i.m.a.r.: the world's most poorly coded chatbot.
    Substantially Humanlike Application Determined Insufficient Mediocre And Relatively annoying.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 211/0
    Given: 1/0

+ rep to you sir.
    Currently hording the following elite genetics;

Grape Escape x Afghani Kush, Iranian Land Race x Pre-98 Bubba Kush, Florida Skunk Ape x Purple Kush, Green Crack BX, Grape Escape x Green Crack.
    Tranquil Elephantizer, Blue Dream Lotus, Orange SunShine.
    OG Ghost Train haze #1.
    Blue Cheese.
    MK Ultra, The Hog, Wreckage.
    Nevilles Haze, Critical Mass, SSH, Black Widow, Shark Shock, Medicine Man, G13 Widow, Ortega, Angels Breath.
    Petrolia Head Stash, Willie Nelson, Golden Temple Kush.

Thumbs Up/Down

Thank you! It seems with cannabis there isn't a lot of sure facts as to what works or doesn't. You have to take the broad approach frequently. An example, when I was choosing PRO-MIX I went with what had worked for me in the past with my tomato garden.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 538/2
    Given: 315/0

I used to use "Myke" -- a cheap myco supplement that was available at Canadian Tire for around $7-10/litre. I had good luck with it, but it's not stocked by the local Canadian Tire. I'm hoping I can find some again some day in Regina when I catch a ride with the folks -- myco really does make a *visible* difference in the vigour and health of your plants. I'm not entirely sure about whether it was increasing my bud size or potency, but it sure didn't hurt. The healthier a plant is, the more productive it is.

However, the potting soil I used this go-round has that earthy fungal aroma to it, and is packed moist, so I *think* it's got myco in it. Certainly my plant doesn't seem to be hurting for nutrient uptake, despite the fact that I'm not pH'ing, and the cabinet smells like fresh earth and plant life -- a good healthy garden aroma.
    I do not fail -- I succeed at finding out what does not work.

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by groo View Post
    I used to use "Myke" -- a cheap myco supplement that was available at Canadian Tire for around $7-10/litre. I had good luck with it, but it's not stocked by the local Canadian Tire. I'm hoping I can find some again some day in Regina when I catch a ride with the folks -- myco really does make a *visible* difference in the vigour and health of your plants. I'm not entirely sure about whether it was increasing my bud size or potency, but it sure didn't hurt. The healthier a plant is, the more productive it is.

However, the potting soil I used this go-round has that earthy fungal aroma to it, and is packed moist, so I *think* it's got myco in it. Certainly my plant doesn't seem to be hurting for nutrient uptake, despite the fact that I'm not pH'ing, and the cabinet smells like fresh earth and plant life -- a good healthy garden aroma.
    Well it sounds like whatever you're using is doing good things for your plant! My Pro-Mix HP with myco has a certain earthy smell to it as well. I am a huge fan of myco. I agree, you definitely can see the difference.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 881/0
    Given: 470/1

"A healthy forest floor" is how I often describe it, although I do live in and around forest peat bogs so the fact that the peat smells like a forest to me shouldn't be much of a surprise
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    Ceci n'est pas une signature du forum.
    Thank You for using S.h.a.d.i.m.a.r.: the world's most poorly coded chatbot.
    Substantially Humanlike Application Determined Insufficient Mediocre And Relatively annoying.

Thumbs Up/Down

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Petunia w_Myco.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	176.2 KB 
ID:	59247
    I was doing more research on myco and came across this picture, I thought it would be good to share with you all. It shows the different yields with and without myco.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 658/0
    Given: 667/1

I always use pro mix hp as its always worked good for me!
    Why drink and drive when you can smoke and fly