Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Embryo

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    22
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 22/0
    Given: 4/0
    Rep Power
    8

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

    Default Yellowing leaves on PK Ultra, need some advice guys!

    Hello guys!

    I'm having problems with my PK Ultras that are about 2.5 weeks old. Their bottom set of leaves started turning yellow from the tips in toward the stalk. The problem started 3-4 days ago when their growth really slowed. I didn't have any nutrients at the time, but got them yesterday and gave the plants a good dose. I'm hoping it was a nitrogen deficiency in my soil and the plants will catch up in a few days. I don't think it's over-watering, it would be underwatering if anything. However, I'd like to get your guys opinions. It could possibly be the soil pH, I've yet to check it. I'll do that tonight and get back to you guys.

    The sicker plant....









    The other one; the same thing is happening to it though...


  2. #2
    Vegetative Member Provisionseeds's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    World Wide
    Posts
    838
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 566/0
    Given: 103/0
    Rep Power
    10

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by one arm steve View Post
    Hello guys!

    I'm having problems with my PK Ultras that are about 2.5 weeks old. Their bottom set of leaves started turning yellow from the tips in toward the stalk. The problem started 3-4 days ago when their growth really slowed. I didn't have any nutrients at the time, but got them yesterday and gave the plants a good dose. I'm hoping it was a nitrogen deficiency in my soil and the plants will catch up in a few days. I don't think it's over-watering, it would be underwatering if anything. However, I'd like to get your guys opinions. It could possibly be the soil pH, I've yet to check it. I'll do that tonight and get back to you guys.

    The sicker plant....









    The other one; the same thing is happening to it though...

    Hey Steve!

    Are those self water pots? If they are and if you are feeding from the top it can cause over watering.

    On the other hand, it can be Nitrogen deficiency.
    From what i know is that if the soil is soggy wet, nitrogen is not being absorbed.

    Anyone else care to give some pointers here? if there are something we have missed.

  3. #3
    Embryo

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    22
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 22/0
    Given: 4/0
    Rep Power
    8

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

    Default

    They are self watering pots. I've been watering them from above about every 2-3 days, whenever the soil is dry 1 inch down from top. The bottom trays have never gotten runoff from the top, all the water I've added to the top was absorbed by the soil. I've added a tiny splash of water to the bottom trays maybe once or twice. This is the first time the soil has ever been that wet. I gave it a pretty good bath when the nutrients (Big Bloom and Grow Big) got here yesterday afternoon (they hadn't been watered in two days anyway). I honestly think it's more likely I underwatered them, and subjected them to a little too much heat here any there.

    How long does it usually take them to bounce back from something like a nitrogen deficiency? Will those leaves be lost?

  4. #4
    Vegetative Member samhigh's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    940
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 825/0
    Given: 904/1
    Rep Power
    12

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

    Default

    steve what soil did you use and what kind of nutes did ya get. some soils come with nutes already in it, soil may be hot then you added some more. may want to give it a good flush with straight water, and when you start ng nutes start at a low dosage. hope that helps ya

    the plants are looking great
    Last edited by samhigh; 05-02-2014 at 09:39 PM.

  5. #5
    Vegetative Member Provisionseeds's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    World Wide
    Posts
    838
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 566/0
    Given: 103/0
    Rep Power
    10

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by one arm steve View Post
    They are self watering pots. I've been watering them from above about every 2-3 days, whenever the soil is dry 1 inch down from top. The bottom trays have never gotten runoff from the top, all the water I've added to the top was absorbed by the soil. I've added a tiny splash of water to the bottom trays maybe once or twice. This is the first time the soil has ever been that wet. I gave it a pretty good bath when the nutrients (Big Bloom and Grow Big) got here yesterday afternoon (they hadn't been watered in two days anyway). I honestly think it's more likely I underwatered them, and subjected them to a little too much heat here any there.

    How long does it usually take them to bounce back from something like a nitrogen deficiency? Will those leaves be lost?
    yellow leaves will never turn back green. Best thing to do is let them die off naturally if its not effecting anything.

  6. #6
    Flowering Member nohibition's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Manitoba
    Posts
    1,722
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,036/0
    Given: 1,031/0
    Rep Power
    13

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

    Default

    Hey Steve
    What nutes are you using? GH, AN, each has a feeding schedule and with young plants you're going to want to start with less than schedule calls for and then creep up, it's a little concerning when you say a good dose. Download the feeding schedule.
    The new growth looks unaffected. When you say self watering do you mean drip?
    The other thing that comes to mind is that they are not wilting so over/under watering isn't indicated. I would give them a light flush when the soil will absorb the water without getting soaked. You can folier feed lightly if your concerned they're to small to flush.Then use the feeding chart. Stick to basics until they're happy. It's like stacking commands on your computer and crashing it. Be patient and don't try several remedies at once.

    N
    I fall upon the earth, and I am embraced. Water gives me life, and I spring forth into the light. My roots run deep into the earth, and I am nourished. With wind and water, light and earth, I conspire to ease your pain and heal your wounds, to bring you peace and calm your mind, to give you wisdom and truth of heart.
    I return to the earth and I am embraced.I am Cannabis
    Nohibition

  7. #7
    Embryo

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    22
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 22/0
    Given: 4/0
    Rep Power
    8

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

    Default

    First of all, thanks for everyone's responses! Between all of us we should be able to figure this out lol.

    The dirt is the finest organic potting soil Lowes had to offer (lol) with extra perlite. I believe the name of the soil was "Organic Superpower" or something like that.

    This yellowing problem started before they got any extra nutrients, so I don't think they've been burned. Plus ProV said their strains aren't super sensitive to nutrients, with all the stuff they throw at them during flowering. I'm just hoping the plant is so healthy that it used all the nitrogen in the soil in just a few weeks. I wouldn't doubt it, these things are growing amazingly fast.

    I'm using Fox Farms Big bloom and Grow Big at half strength right now. When I said "a good bath", I was really just referring to how much I watered them (not that I put extra nutrients on them). They hadn't gotten a good shower like that since they first hit the dirt. I honestly think that was my problem, not watering them enough. Another reason I'm beginning to think it was underwatered, the top set of fan leaves started to close (I believe to conserve water) when the leaves really started to turn yellow. After watering with nutrients, the leaves started to spread back out.

    Still need to get a pH tester, I'll let yall know what I find.
    Last edited by one arm steve; 05-03-2014 at 09:24 AM.

  8. #8
    Flowering Member nohibition's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Manitoba
    Posts
    1,722
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,036/0
    Given: 1,031/0
    Rep Power
    13

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

    Default

    Hey Steve
    In my experience when plants are over/under watered the first sign is wilting, before other symptoms show. The other guys have a lot more experience than I do so I may be wrong. I'm still thinking deficiency because there is no burning...nitrogen and or Ph issue.
    Good luck.
    N
    I fall upon the earth, and I am embraced. Water gives me life, and I spring forth into the light. My roots run deep into the earth, and I am nourished. With wind and water, light and earth, I conspire to ease your pain and heal your wounds, to bring you peace and calm your mind, to give you wisdom and truth of heart.
    I return to the earth and I am embraced.I am Cannabis
    Nohibition

  9. #9
    Embryo

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    22
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 22/0
    Given: 4/0
    Rep Power
    8

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

    Default

    Good news guys, the yellowing has appeared to stop! Hopefully it was just hungry for some nutrients and I have that covered now!


    I do have another questions for you guys though. When should I attempt to FIM these? Like how many sets of branches/leaves? I was thinking about 4 sets (each LST'd for sunlight), but what do you guys think?

  10. #10
    Embryo

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    22
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 22/0
    Given: 4/0
    Rep Power
    8

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

    Default

    I bought the only tester kit I could find locally. It looks like the soil is closer to 7 than 6. They need to be transplanted soon so it gives me a chance to amend the soil a little. I've read that adding peat moss lowers pH, but what would you guys suggest? I was already planning on adding peat moss to the soil when they went outside so I'm hoping that will help.

  11. #11
    Vegetative Member Provisionseeds's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    World Wide
    Posts
    838
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 566/0
    Given: 103/0
    Rep Power
    10

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by one arm steve View Post
    I bought the only tester kit I could find locally. It looks like the soil is closer to 7 than 6. They need to be transplanted soon so it gives me a chance to amend the soil a little. I've read that adding peat moss lowers pH, but what would you guys suggest? I was already planning on adding peat moss to the soil when they went outside so I'm hoping that will help.
    Hey steve, ideal ph for soild should be 6.5. Some people say 6.3-6.8.

    Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •