Flowering Member keepitmedicated's Avatar

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 946/2
    Given: 2,110/4

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Default Using Jiffy pellets to germinate seeds.

Hey guys, So I was sittin in the bathroom reading one of my many canna magazines Ive collected over the while. I read one that show'd a breeder (Rev I think) using these Jiffy Pellets to germinate his seeds. So a Wally world today I seen one of those Jiffy pellet 36 pc plastic dome germination kits for under $5.00. I took 3 of those pellets and let them soak up a mix of Advanced Nutrients Piranah Benificial Fungi and Tarantula Benificial Microbes. Then took 3 Epic Kush Fem'd Automatic Beans and placed them into the pellets and placed em on a plate with a green beer cup covering them to keep moisture in.
    That's when I started the google search and seen more bad than good. What do you all think of what I described for my little germination experiment. If this works than perfect, Cause Im gonna use that plastic kit to germinate my outdoor automatic seeds then transplant after a week or so into the plots from there on in and hopefully not shock and stunt them. I read that automatics dont like to be cramped up during the very fast veg cycle and to get em into the final pot without impedeing root growth will make bigger yeilding auto's. The idea is that they germinate in the pellets and then out of the sides come the roots then I will stick em in the ground outdoors. Voila the roots dont touch any walls to stop growin. Make Sence???
    I just got a bunch of epic kush auto's and would like to get some done for the end of june. I was going to use my Sweet seeds blackjack but if these pellets dont work then I will screw up my "elite" automatic seeds that I only have 2 of each. So let me know what you all think and any tips to use them would be really cool. Thanks...K.I.M.
    HARMONY..
    When we lose the right to be different
    We lose the privilage to be free
    Nelson Mandela

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,036/0
    Given: 1,031/0

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Hey K.I.M.
    I've used jiffy pellets many times successfully but have never soaked them in nutes. Usually I soak them with clear phed water and put my freshly cracked beans into the jiffy, and they fit in a germ tray. They've always worked well for me. I've used them in the past to set up babies for hydro. This is why I save any bag seed I can get. I can experiment and if I screw up no biggy. I'd be worried the nutes would burn those little sprouts.

N
    I fall upon the earth, and I am embraced. Water gives me life, and I spring forth into the light. My roots run deep into the earth, and I am nourished. With wind and water, light and earth, I conspire to ease your pain and heal your wounds, to bring you peace and calm your mind, to give you wisdom and truth of heart.
    I return to the earth and I am embraced.I am Cannabis
    Nohibition

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 234/0
    Given: 152/0

Yeah nothing wrong with using peat pellets. Most of those problems are usually operator error meaning environmental issues to wet, to hot, to cold letting dry out to much and then over watering or adding of nutes etc...

I usually just buy some distilled water soak them good carefully squish all the excess water out and then add seed a tiny bit of water and to the heat mat and dome. You should see a tail and or green in 3-5 days nothing in 7-10 days get your toothpick and carefully dig out around the hole but you gotta be careful if you catch the taproot and tug to hard at worst you break it. When you find it without a tap root dig it out and lightly squash it if it is mushy its toast if its hard I wash it off and either crack it in my teeth or you can try a match striker or emory cloth and scuff it and mulligan ( do it all over ).

Goodluck

Thumbs Up/Down

I either scuff it or place a coin in the jaws of a pair of needle nose pliers so it won't crush seed.
    I prefer to crack the bean first then put in jiffy puck.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CAM00395.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	58630

N
    I fall upon the earth, and I am embraced. Water gives me life, and I spring forth into the light. My roots run deep into the earth, and I am nourished. With wind and water, light and earth, I conspire to ease your pain and heal your wounds, to bring you peace and calm your mind, to give you wisdom and truth of heart.
    Nohibition

Thumbs Up/Down

But as any thing there are some you want to avoid.

There are some real coarse looking ones I do not like at all I may have tossed them all but if I can find an old one i'll post a picture of it. I got them at Ace Hardware out of a box that had a count of like 5000.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 271/0
    Given: 68/1

Used to go with Jiffy, but started losing too many seeds. Paper towel now, then into Jiffy; Rapid Rooter; etc. Latest (Tutankhamun) 5/5 popped in 36 hrs. Now, 3 days later, they have tiny cotyledons and while on a heat mat, are out from under the dome.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140330_065937[2].jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	144.8 KB 
ID:	58632

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 216/0
    Given: 417/0

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

The only issue I have with the jiffy pellets, the netting is restrictive on the roots coming through. My easy fix is to make verticle cuts on the sides to allow the pellet to expand as the plant grows. I now just use just promix in solo cups. One, I already have it and two I don't need to buy any pellets.

As for the Piranha and Tarantula, they are not nutrients. They are only fungi and bacterial microbes.
    They form a symbiotic relationship with the root zone to help break down nutrients to supply the plant.
    The humic acid bonds to the roots facilitating the transfer to the roots enabling easier/faster absorption to the plant. Only after the root zone is established should nutes be applied. A b-1vitamin will help greatly at this point.

NM
    Love the life you live
    Live the life you love
    -Bob Marley

Thumbs Up/Down

Good to know NM.
    I've never been an adventurous grower. Started with GH 3 part and stuck to it. I tried Dutch Passion line up just the past few grows and found it to be twice as costly and didn't have an appreciable effect my results. This way my nutes cost me under $50 each time and with a little tweaking the results are OK. Like I keep saying some of you guys are light years ahead of me. Just an old man keeping it as simple as possible and when I have a problem I have you guys to turn to.

N
    Nohibition

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 216/0
    Given: 417/0

Quote Originally Posted by nohibition View Post
    Good to know NM.
    I've never been an adventurous grower. Started with GH 3 part and stuck to it. I tried Dutch Passion line up just the past few grows and found it to be twice as costly and didn't have an appreciable effect my results. This way my nutes cost me under $50 each time and with a little tweaking the results are OK. Like I keep saying some of you guys are light years ahead of me. Just an old man keeping it as simple as possible and when I have a problem I have you guys to turn to.

N
    All good nohibition! The 3 part fertilizer line is very useful/easy to tweak your plants growing needs.
    Using additives, I feel, helps "speed up" the growing rate and in turn should result in more yield.
    I see even companies are now adding Mycorrhizea to the soil/peat to enhance the soils growing properties.

NM
    Love the life you live
    Live the life you love
    -Bob Marley

Thumbs Up/Down

Hey NM
    I think my growing knowledge/experience has evolved slowly but I find all the nutrient info etc. is just mind boggling and then there is the $$$$ issue. When I bought my first clone I knew nothing so it comes to me day by day. Read, grow, learn...oh and enjoy the fruits of my labor.
    I tell anyone just starting "you just have to get up, not keep up"

Peace Bro
    N
    Nohibition

A concrete jungle in Canada - turn left at the lights
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 72/1
    Given: 374/2

Cool

Certainly some good suggestions here

There are many methods that can be used with an equal amount of success.

For germinating seeds, I use 4" square pots filled with Bio Terra Plus soil and just simply push the seed (pointed tip up) into the soil. (I can easily fit 10 4" square pots into a standard tray/dome/heat mat set up but I've also used bigger trays and domes....all depends on how many seeds I want to germinate and if I'm doing a seed run.) I then place the tray on a heat mat and lightly spritz the soil with a sprayer with some pure water (7 stage RO unit), then cover with humidity dome. I usually see seeds popping through the soil in about 3-4 days.

Germination success for me has always bean 90-100% with this method.

One good method mentioned of getting the seeds to germinate faster is to scar them using some 120 grit sandpaper. Some seeds need it, some don't.

I have no issues with the soaking in pure water for 24 hours and then putting the seeds once sunk in between 2 sets of paper towels - one plate below the first set of paper towels - seeds - next set of paper towels - topped by a slightly smaller plate. The only problem I run into with this method is sometimes I forget about the seeds being between the towels and they dry out or I don't get to transplanting the seeds into a small pot when the initial taproot shows.

As the saying goes, you have to find what works best for you and mostly importantly, the plants. Finances are always a consideration when using any technique/growth method.
    Get up, stand up, stand up for your rights
    Get up, stand up, don't give up the fight

Thumbs Up/Down

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

for cracking my seeds I use a piece of viscane plastic (black/white) the size of paper towel. Put on counter black side up, place paper towel on top and soak, place seeds on paper towel and fold plastic and pp towel in half like an envelope...toss it on the fridge.

N
    Nohibition

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 658/0
    Given: 667/1

I use to use the pucks but found them kinda acidity, but they worked alright with phd water and give them a squeeze to get the excess water out. I use the rapid rooters now and they work way better for me as I don't have to worrie about the roots getting caught up in the mesh like the pucks ..
    Why drink and drive when you can smoke and fly

Thumbs Up/Down

Hey thanks for the responses guys. I added those products to my peat puck cause
    1: Like NM said they are not nuterients but fungi and microbes that aid in root growth, So I figured that if those were in the peat pucks when the tap root comes out a stronger plant will grow.
    2. First time using them why not experiment to see what works.
    I will use a super sharp scalpel to cut slits into the mesh once I see some growth.
    It is good to know that I can get success with these, I have read n a few articles that when a seed germinates in a medium that it grows a faster/stronger plant out the gate as opposed to the papertowel transplant method. I was thinkin of tryin those little square cells to fill with soil but last year I lost a few to overdryin and some to overwaterin. I like the papertowel method but want to see if the seedling will grow stronger overall. Thanks guys I will let you know what happens in a few days. Oh ya the one thing that I did not do what everyone says they do is squeeze any water out. I looked at them at lunch and they were pretty good I think not drippin any water so under the cup they went again....K.I.M.
    HARMONY..
    Nelson Mandela

Thumbs Up/Down

You know I never have had root problems with the nets on the pellets myself.

Thumbs Up/Down

So far its 5-6 days since I put three epic auto kush beans into wet Jiffy pellets with some Benificial Microbes and fungi from Advanced Nutrient and One has showed itself so far. If I do anything different next time it will be to put the beans into a shot glass of water for a day or two before I stick em in the Jiffy pots. I still want to see if they would be better to use for the automatics that I plant to start indoors for a week to 12 days then transplant them into the ground outdoors. I want to use them for two or three and germinate the same amount in soil in a beer cup then veg em for that length of time before I stick em outdoors in the same plot to see which ones take easier and just overall vigor, health, yeild and final products taste and potency. Any thoughts on which method would be best to start them before I send em in the great outdoors. With my very limited amount of time outdoors I cant put too much into experiments that I would like to. But I know that it will be the automatics that I am relying on to give me somthing from the outdoors. I have read in several threads that the peakseeds strains that I plan on using outside will take as long as the 2nd week of October. Which will be a stretch for me as there is a good chance that I wil have to harvest before then and dont want premature bud only. So one jiffy so far the other two should show soon if they want to wake up...K.I.M.
    HARMONY..
    Nelson Mandela

Thumbs Up/Down

Don't take this the wrong way.

But I don't understand what is the difference between putting them in a glass of water and just letting them sit another couple days in the medium you picked ?

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by S_a_H View Post
    Don't take this the wrong way.

But I don't understand what is the difference between putting them in a glass of water and just letting them sit another couple days in the medium you picked ?
    No worries SaH but Ive read that many people soak their beans before puttin em in the pellets. MAkes em start faster or better mabey dont know why it was done that way but it was. Jayp on the Trainwreck or Blackjack thread did it. Few on the AFN network, I have seen it many places so dont know the benefit of doin that.Some germ in papertowel then stick em in the jiffy's. I did it like this this time round cause I have been reading that the plants overall health and vigor is much better out the gate this way instead of papertoweling them first. Any insight on this topic being a breeder yourself SaH or anyone who knows a thing or two about this...K.I.M.
    HARMONY..
    Nelson Mandela

Embryo

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 11/0
    Given: 10/0

All I use is Jiffy pellets to germinate seeds. I use them in a glass pie plate with a clear plastic cover, (one from a cake from the grocery store) I also run a heat mat under the plate to keep them as warm as possible, never lost a seed this way..

Thumbs Up/Down

Thanks goleafs, Great to meet another leafs fan for real.
    So it seems that I only gonna have one seedling from direct planting into the jiffy's. Next time im gonna let em sit in a shotglass with some distilled water for 36 hrs or so before I stick em in the jiffy pellets. I got one of those jiffy greenhouse starter kits with 36 pellets and a plastic dome that I was plannin on using for my outdoor automatic seeds. Germinate them inthe pellets then veg em for a week or so then to the great outdoors without too much transplant shock and hopefully not effect the final yeild. Its gonna be a lot of work this year and I still havent been able to get out and get the holes ready. On the plus side after another late blizzard last weekend causing my kids to have two snowdays. The weather has started to really warm up and verything is slushy and muddy but tomorrow Im going to see if I can start somthing..... Thanks for stoppin by keep and eye out for my outdoor thread that Im gonna start in a couple weeks and you will see me put this jiffy kit to work...K.I.M.
    HARMONY..
    Nelson Mandela

Embryo

Thumbs Up/Down

Will do foe sure..Im an outdoor guy too. I have a bunch of Green poison auto and cream mandarine from sweet seeds to start in a couple weeks..I have a Greenhouse at my place so ill be getting an early start for some sweet smoke in mid july! I have also kept a mother alive all winter under a CFL 200 watt of the original OG Kush. I think this is going to be a great summer!

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by goleafs View Post
    Will do foe sure..Im an outdoor guy too. I have a bunch of Green poison auto and cream mandarine from sweet seeds to start in a couple weeks..I have a Greenhouse at my place so ill be getting an early start for some sweet smoke in mid july! I have also kept a mother alive all winter under a CFL 200 watt of the original OG Kush. I think this is going to be a great summer!
    Have you tried that cream mandarin auto yet? MAN what a great strain I just finished one up two months ago. I aslo have some Green poison Fast Version for outside with some more Cream Mandarin and Blackjack auto. Your gonna love that mandarine man, looks great, smells great, tastes great and feels amazing. With the last two cream mandarine beans I have on hand I plan on reversing one with Colloidal Silver to reverse and make some beans for my personal stock. Thats how much Im liking that strain. Its cause of the cream caramel in the mix, I do love that CC. give that a try one day also. Hope You do a journal with your garden, Id like to see your grow...K.I.M.
    HARMONY..
    Nelson Mandela

Embryo

Thumbs Up/Down

I hate to hijack someones thread, but Are the cream mandarine all autos? It says 3g auto. I did grow 2 test plants late last season, so late I almost lost them to frost in the greenhouse. They were in one gallon pots and didnt amount to very much at all..It was very nice smoke. I can't wait to start some in jiffy pellets and transplant directly into the ground at 2 weeks mid May. Living in Ontario it will be real nice to get a harvest early! Aprox how long do they need to finish?

Thumbs Up/Down

No worries about the hijacking man. The Cream Mandarine has been automatic only up till this year. Now they have the cream Mandarine is photosensative Femmed and Fast version finishing. Indoors I harvested the one I grew (auto) at week 9 from seed in a 2 gal grow bag. So if your planning on veggin two week and planting in May you should bring em in early-mid August. I only have two more of those seeds and plan to reverse one to pollinate the other so I can have many seeds for next year. I got Epic Kush automatic that I plan to put 5-8 a week from end of may to end of june so I can harvest multiple times this year. I might be able to test some SBR 70s from SaH this year if Im lucky. But will be planting a shitload of photo strains that Im hoping will have enough time to finsh for me. Peakseeds Texada Timewarp crosses is what Im bankin on this year.. Good luck with your gardens this year.
    HARMONY..
    Nelson Mandela

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 884/0
    Given: 479/1

No worries about the hijacking man.

♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    Ceci n'est pas une signature du forum.
    Thank You for using S.h.a.d.i.m.a.r.: the world's most poorly coded chatbot.
    Substantially Humanlike Application Determined Insufficient Mediocre And Relatively annoying.