Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 92/0
    Given: 95/0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I have not tried the pH perfect line of AN yet but it was my understanding that it does not mean the pH stays stable in your nutrient solution. It means that the elements in the solution stay AVAILABLE at high and low pH extremes.

As for pH swings, if certain elements are absorbed by the plants more than others due to rapid growth/uptake of nutrients the pH will change rapidly.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,036/0
    Given: 1,031/0

Quote Originally Posted by rangergord View Post
    I have not tried the pH perfect line of AN yet but it was my understanding that it does not mean the pH stays stable in your nutrient solution. It means that the elements in the solution stay AVAILABLE at high and low pH extremes.

As for pH swings, if certain elements are absorbed by the plants more than others due to rapid growth/uptake of nutrients the pH will change rapidly.
    So when your plants ability to absorb nutrients is affected by ph it means that it's caused by a change in the nutrients. I thought the ph affected the ability of the roots themselves. If AN has nutrients that are stable through a ph swing that would be a good thing. Good to know, I'll have to check into ph perfect nutrients.
    I appreciate the help understanding these things.

I dropped mine into 4 gal buckets today. Growth came to a rapid halt and I assumed the surface area in the small dwc was in adequate to absorb enough oxygen. Increased nutrients to wk 3.

Thanx

N
    I fall upon the earth, and I am embraced. Water gives me life, and I spring forth into the light. My roots run deep into the earth, and I am nourished. With wind and water, light and earth, I conspire to ease your pain and heal your wounds, to bring you peace and calm your mind, to give you wisdom and truth of heart.
    I return to the earth and I am embraced.I am Cannabis
    Nohibition

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 538/2
    Given: 315/0

You do have bubblers in those buckets, right nohib? The surface area at the top of the bucket really doesn't affect much, because it's the stream of bubbles from the airstones that oxygenates the water.

Be aware that your pH will swing *wildly* with DWC, because the oxygenation affects the pH. I found when I tried DWC that I was having to adjust pH *every day*.
    I do not fail -- I succeed at finding out what does not work.

Thumbs Up/Down

Hey groo
    Thr bubbles rise to the surface and release the air into the atmosphere. Surface area is critical for aquariums as it determines oxygen content of water. Because water has such a high surface tension disrupting the surface increases it`s ability to absorb oxygen. That`s why a round goldfish bowl is only filled half way. I do have airation but I just spoke with a guy doesn`t bother with stones just airline without problems.

N

Sent from my LG-P705g using Tapatalk
    I fall upon the earth, and I am embraced. Water gives me life, and I spring forth into the light. My roots run deep into the earth, and I am nourished. With wind and water, light and earth, I conspire to ease your pain and heal your wounds, to bring you peace and calm your mind, to give you wisdom and truth of heart.
    Nohibition

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 211/0
    Given: 1/0

I'm just a little disappointed that I can't effectively walk away from my grow for a weekend. In soil with mulch I could do 2-2.5 days per 12L pot... with this I have to have someone put in 5 or so drops daily. (I'm aiming for 5.5-5.8) Just wanted to get that out here. Otherwise, things seem to be going really well. Within a day of transplanting I have roots dropping down, so I'll be flipping the switch on bloom (ideally) tomorrow.

A couple of sad moments, lost some very good plants that I gifted to friends to look after. Accidents and mistakes happen.. Any one able to get in touch with Humber Valley Seed Co? I have been trying to buy a dozen or so packs of grape kush (some for me, some for friends and breeders all over the world) but I can't seem to elicit a response(at $100/per 10 pack you'd think they would respond for a $1,200.00 purchase).
    kindly,
    Currently hording the following elite genetics;

Grape Escape x Afghani Kush, Iranian Land Race x Pre-98 Bubba Kush, Florida Skunk Ape x Purple Kush, Green Crack BX, Grape Escape x Green Crack.
    Tranquil Elephantizer, Blue Dream Lotus, Orange SunShine.
    OG Ghost Train haze #1.
    Blue Cheese.
    MK Ultra, The Hog, Wreckage.
    Nevilles Haze, Critical Mass, SSH, Black Widow, Shark Shock, Medicine Man, G13 Widow, Ortega, Angels Breath.
    Petrolia Head Stash, Willie Nelson, Golden Temple Kush.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 216/0
    Given: 417/0

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I have used A.N. 3 part ph perfect grow, micro, bloom in soil and didn't have to bother with the ph.
    Mix and feed. My well water is 7-8 ph. I didn't have issues.
    The growers that are using the ph perfect line in hydro, are going 5-7 days without adjusting the ph.
    Some as low as 3-4 day's with heavy feeding plants. The buffering additives get used up quickly.
    The size of the resevoir will also have to be taken into cosideration. Small res, quicker to use the buffer.

NM
    Love the life you live
    Live the life you love
    -Bob Marley

Thumbs Up/Down

I`m setting up a 6 port tub right now. I`ll crack some bagseed right away and put them in my mini dwc until they have legs then into tub with "no air" just a submersible pumping directly up to disturb surface. I want to see what happens with roots.

N

Sent from my LG-P705g using Tapatalk
    Nohibition

Thumbs Up/Down

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Day 1 of bloom
    Right now they are under a 600W MH and are being fed sensigrow, motherearth tea grow, and calmag+(850PPM PH 5.8).

Grape Escape x Afghani Kush, Iranian Land Race x Pre-98 Bubba Kush, Florida Skunk Ape x Purple Kush, Green Crack BX, Grape Escape x Green Crack.
    OG Ghost Train haze #1.
    Blue Cheese.
    Nevilles Haze, Critical Mass, SSH, Black Widow, Shark Shock, Medicine Man, G13 Widow, Ortega, Angels Breath.

Thumbs Up/Down

I'm jealous brother.

N
    Nohibition

Seedling

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 206/0
    Given: 691/1

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightToker View Post
    Day 1 of bloom
    Right now they are under a 600W MH and are being fed sensigrow, motherearth tea grow, and calmag+(850PPM PH 5.8).

very nice good luck brother

Thumbs Up/Down

Well, it seems the PH has stabilized...somewhat. For the past 2 days I seem to be consistently in the 5.8 range. Perhaps the flux was related to the equip being new in some way...? I can't think of a reasonable explanation, but I'm glad it's settling in... My hydro store only had the 1L Roots Excellurator, which was like 300 bucks... they sold me a 1L of the GH rooting hormone at a big discount (I suspect because it s ucks???) but I'm testing it out now. I have seen amicable results from some of their products in the past. Also picked up some drip clean from HG but after reading the label it's mainly just PH down...
    The plants are starting to look great, who'd have thought salty water could produce so well. I'll update some pics in a few days when I change my bulbs from MH to HPS.
    rgds

OG Ghost Train haze #1.
    Blue Cheese.

Thumbs Up/Down

Hey Mt. Looks like it's working well for you. Looking forward to watching them grow.

I have a ph meter on the way courtesy of Pro-V. That solves a big issue. I broke the bulb in my old one and didn't know they could be replaced...threw it out. My DPK are doing well according to Jimmy at Pro-V. I cracked some orphans and as soon as they're rooted they go into a 30 ltr tub with submersible pump pointed up to create a fountain which breaks surface tension. Experimenting to see what happens with no air pump.
    Yours look great.
    N
    Nohibition

Thumbs Up/Down

finger's crossed for you.
    I'd really like to know a timeline for my MMAR permit... I'm itching to Crack OhGawd Kush by Jordan but I don't want another half finished report with my name on it.

OG Ghost Train haze #1.
    Blue Cheese.

Thumbs Up/Down

finger's crossed for you.
    I'd really like to know a timeline for my MMAR permit... I'm itching to Crack OhGawd Kush by Jordan but I don't want another half finished report with my name on it.
    The loss of the plants would be the downer. Hopefully we'll either get resolution or it will drag on while we grow happily along. We have no choice but to wait it out. I'm just going to carry on as usual.

N
    Nohibition

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 213/0
    Given: 88/1

my guess is that the roots will miss the air pump nohib

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by T&G View Post
    my guess is that the roots will miss the air pump nohib
    I agree T&G
    I'm sure it will have negative effect but I kept all live plants in my aquariums and used very little aeration and had very little algae problems as well. With an external filter on a fish tank you have a small waterfall which is very beneficial to aeration. The way I've set up the dwc res is with the pump in the center pumping straight up. It creates a fountain about 3" high and really disturbs the water surface. When an air bubble is trapped under water it will "eventually" dissipate but when the bubbles are racing to the surface there isn't time to release oxygen into the water.
    Anyway It's an experiment and I will rescue the plants if it doesn't work. When all is said and done we'll know for sure. I used a reservoir because like and aquarium it has a large surface area.

Sorry NM didn't mean to go off topic.

N
    Nohibition

Thumbs Up/Down

A colleague recommended purchasing hydrogen peroxide (30%) and adding to my rez (initial dosage 1ml:L and weekly dosage of 1ml:2L). My problem is that my beautiful white roots are now turning brown and slimey.... the plants seem to be unaffected for the moment. Can anyone give me a bit more info on if this can be used actively in a rez? On the one hand I was told to treat it like bleach, on t he other hand I'm told it doesn't hurt roots... how can something bleach skin but not roots???

OG Ghost Train haze #1.
    Blue Cheese.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 216/0
    Given: 417/0

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I believe this is a coincidence happening. Hydrogen peroxide will kill all bacteria and is perfectly fine in hydro. The root issue happening sounds like root rot. A flush with a high dose of Hydrogen peroxide will take care of the root rot. In one of your posts you said you are using Mother earth grow tea. This is an organic fertilizer. The use of organics in hydro is not usually good. It requires bacteria to work properly and if you add air and do not cool your solution (chiller of some sort), it will lead to this type of issue. I would skip on any organics, it requires more, over all control methods.

Note : Hydrogen peroxide will kill all enzymes, bacteria, fungus. Do not use these types of additives if using Hydrogen peroxide.

NM
    Love the life you live
    Live the life you love
    -Bob Marley

Thumbs Up/Down

Thanks NM. The possibility of coincidence is indeed present. Time will tell

OG Ghost Train haze #1.
    Blue Cheese.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 84/0
    Given: 194/0

maybe using a straight hybrid chem/organic nutrient like the GH floranova series can help stabilize rez solution a little better,i cant say from experience,because i only use a pure chemical mix myself.
    gotta warn you...the stuff is a little pricey...
    http://generalhydroponics.com/site/i...s/nova_series/

───────▄──█──▄────────
    ───────█─▐█▌─█────────
    ─────▀▄▐▌▐█▌▐▌▄▀──────
    ──────▀▄█▄█▄█▄▀───────
    ───────▄▄▀║▀▄▄────────
    ░░░░░░░░WE░ARE░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░░╦░╦╗╔╗╦╔╗╦╗░░░░░░
    ░░░░░║░╠░║╦║║║║║░░░░░░
    ░░░░░╩╝╩╝╚╝╩╚╝╝╚░░░░░░

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 213/0
    Given: 88/1

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I'd start by flushing everything a cpl of times myself. I agree with NM but would like to add a cpl things also, keep your rez aerated and cool, keeping it on a cold cement floor or outside of grow room if possible will help alittle. Also flushing plants & system every now and then helps keep things running smooth (usually for salt build up but I.m told thats not a problem with organic, I have no experience with that but again I agree with NM that hydro nutes for hydro works best sorry Shad lol )
    I use to run a rez of ph'd water after every 2 of nutes and it helped to keep things in check. Also making double sure everything is light proof keeps algae away.

Thumbs Up/Down

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

A colleague recommended purchasing hydrogen peroxide (30%) and adding to my rez (initial dosage 1ml:L and weekly dosage of 1ml:2L). My problem is that my beautiful white roots are now turning brown and slimey.... the plants seem to be unaffected for the moment. Can anyone give me a bit more info on if this can be used actively in a rez? On the one hand I was told to treat it like bleach, on t he other hand I'm told it doesn't hurt roots... how can something bleach skin but not roots???

Hey MT. Just had this problem with 2 TS in DWC
    I use 6 ml (in 15 litres) of 3% hydrogen peroxide. I've only used dwc a few times when I couldn't get soil and have had the problem once before. I caught it early and the 3% worked so here's hoping. Water temp is 62 so that's OK. There was very little pythium (slime) present in the one bucket. I also added 5 ml down/ 15 ltrs.
    Cleared up quickly, problem gone.

I found some info here...
    http://forum.grasscity.com/advanced-...-root-rot.html

Good Luck Brother

N
    Nohibition

Thumbs Up/Down

The nutes will discolor your roots as well, don't know about organics though.

N
    Nohibition

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 84/0
    Given: 194/0

I do know the h2o2 doesn't distinguish between beneficial or bad bacteria,it'll render any organic substance inert.

───────▄──█──▄────────
    ───────█─▐█▌─█────────
    ─────▀▄▐▌▐█▌▐▌▄▀──────
    ──────▀▄█▄█▄█▄▀───────
    ───────▄▄▀║▀▄▄────────
    ░░░░░░░░WE░ARE░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░░╦░╦╗╔╗╦╔╗╦╗░░░░░░
    ░░░░░║░╠░║╦║║║║║░░░░░░
    ░░░░░╩╝╩╝╚╝╩╚╝╝╚░░░░░░

Thumbs Up/Down

There are posts about organic and chem nutes in the link I posted. Maybe with organic a quick flush with clear ph water and H202 would be better. I'm using GH 3 part. I will be adding H202 in small amounts through out my next run.

N
    Nohibition

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast