Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 36/0
    Given: 0/0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Post Annapolis Police Chief Apologizes for MJ Misspeak

Annapolis Police Chief Michael Pristoop issued an apology Tuesday for inaccurate statements he made about deaths related to the legalization of marijuana in Colorado.
    Pristoop, in testimony regarding legalization of marijuana, stated that overdoses on marijuana led to more than 30 deaths on the first day the drug was legalized in Colorado. That data was based upon a hoax story that ran on satirical and comedy websites.
    “I apologize for the information I provided concerning the deaths. I believed the information I obtained was accurate but I now know the story is nothing more than an urban legend,” the chief said in a statement. “This does not take away from the other facts presented in opposition to legalization or the good work of the Maryland Chiefs and Maryland Sheriffs associations.”
    Pristoop was speaking before the Maryland Senate Judiciary Committee, opposing the decriminalization and legalization of marijuana, according to the statement from Annapolis police. His testimony was stopped by those on the committee who recognized the error.
    According to the statement from the police department, Pristoop discovered the data was “an urban myth” while following up on the report after the meeting.
    During the testimony Tuesday, police chiefs, sheriffs and states attorneys said loosening marijuana laws in Maryland would undermine drug enforcement — though they said their opposition did not extend to making medical marijuana more readily available to those who need it.
    Reporter Erin Cox contributed to this story.
    Source: Baltimore Sun (MD)
    Author: Sean Welsh, The Baltimore Sun
    Published: February 25, 2014
    Copyright: 2014 The Baltimore Sun

Original Article

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 881/0
    Given: 470/1

It was neither a hoax, an urban legend, nor something that can be blamed on someone else by using the word "myth".

This man was either too ignorant, not bright enough, or far too eager to run with the story to bother to care that it came from a satire website.

http://dailycurrant.com/2014/01/02/m...-legalization/

According to the statement from the police department, Pristoop discovered the data was “an urban myth” while following up on the report after the meeting.
    Interesting that he waited until after he'd been shown where the article came from before bothering to....umm...check..where it came from.

Brilliant man

I wonder if all his investigations go that way?

Alright, Jimmy. The State is lettin' ya out on Parole for that murder charge next week. Been a long 25 years, I bet.

Well, Imma start gathrin' evidence ta see iffn it was you er not.
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    Ceci n'est pas une signature du forum.
    Thank You for using S.h.a.d.i.m.a.r.: the world's most poorly coded chatbot.
    Substantially Humanlike Application Determined Insufficient Mediocre And Relatively annoying.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 12/0
    Given: 2/0

Asshalfs like him cause more problems than cannabis ever could.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 881/0
    Given: 470/1

You'd think someone at the Department owns a TV at least.. but no, it appears not.

This is why I say he cannot simply pass off satire a "a hoax" and pretend to be a victim when no one bothered to check a single claim or even notice that it was a satire news site. I wonder if he get's equally confused and holds press conferences 4 nights a week after The Daily Show then spins around and calls Jon Stewart a con artist?

"It's complete chaos here," says Dr. Jack Shepard, chief of surgery at St. Luke's Medical Center in Denver. "I've put five college students in body bags since breakfast and more are arriving every minute.

One of the those victims was 29-year-old Jesse Bruce Pinkman, a former methamphetamine dealer from Albuquerque who had recently moved to Boulder to establish a legal marijuana dispensary.
    And one more subtle:

"This is just a terrible tragedy," says his friend Peter. "Jesse was trying to go legit and now this happens? I guess drugs really are as dangerous as they say."
    aka Skinny Pete.

I can let the SP reference slide if he didn't get that one, but how about running "Jesse Pinkman" through google to see what happens, Chief?

Hell.. that's what I would have done to get some details on the story if I thought it was real, and then when it turned out that name happened to be a main character on a hit TV show, along with the Doctor also named in the same article I'd have saved my self some dental work from when my own foot came flying at my mouth after I decided to open it

..but hey, that's just me.

(One final note of fact checking far beyond the Chief here, is that the recreational sales licenses went to those who had already opened a medical dispensary. Colorado has vertical integration for its dispensaries so the same group must handle the plants from seed/clone to final sale and one cannot simply arrive with a bale of mexi-brick and open your legal business)
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    Ceci n'est pas une signature du forum.
    Thank You for using S.h.a.d.i.m.a.r.: the world's most poorly coded chatbot.
    Substantially Humanlike Application Determined Insufficient Mediocre And Relatively annoying.