Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Male?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 564/0
    Given: 1,294/1

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Default Best Male?

hey guys in no theres some good breeders on TY and i need your help never breed or even had males longer then 14 days flowering lol. but i want to give breeding a go so what do i look for to no its a dank male?
    “The legalization of marijuana is not a dangerous experiment – the prohibition is the experiment, and it has failed dramatically, with millions of victims all around the world.”
    Sebastian Marincolo

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 234/0
    Given: 152/0

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by LostFrog View Post
    hey guys in no theres some good breeders on TY and i need your help never breed or even had males longer then 14 days flowering lol. but i want to give breeding a go so what do i look for to no its a dank male?
    No real defined answer to that question as it really depends on the genetics and what your goals are in making a cross. Just like any female plant you should flower out a male and see what he shows.

When I crossed a Flodica male to the Kalimist x FLO female I wanted a short stout male to try and tame some of the stretch the Kalimist x FLO is going to have plus the Flodica is a almost pure Indica so its possible to pull a 60 day finisher to fight the 10-12 seeks the Kalimist x FLO is going to have and if you can shave off a week or two HOTDAMN ! Lastly the Flodica is the indica pheno of Sat 70/30 FLO so that could produce some interesting offspring.

But I would also say that male you flower out to its finish and you see trich's its something worth crossing to see.

Just like a female the more a male has flowers the better.

Here is the description from DJ Short on the Flodica....

A mostly indica phenotype from the Flo-line. A rare, near-total recessive indica found by chance in the "TF"("TF"=True Floral, or its ultimate expression "Temple Flo"). Unlike the usual sativa traits associated with the Flo line, the Flodica is a near pure indica phenotype of short, stout, yet productive, structure with very large dense gland production with more of an earthen palate to the buds that produce a very strong, narcotic type experience.

Indoor-7-8 weeks
    Outdoor-mid September
    Yield-above average

Vegetative Member Provisionseeds's Avatar

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 566/0
    Given: 103/0

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

@S_a_H is right, your "ideal" plant/genetic is different from everyone elses. it takes time and research of what you want from that male and what you want from the female. then you create a goal. but before you start, make sure you have a solid goal of what you want. just dont pick any male or female.

Thumbs Up/Down

thanks guys .... so this is my plan this summer. when i grow out the KBs (peakseeds bc) i got. am going to put all the male KB in there room (my old veg room) and find the best one. im hoping to get a real nice blue berry phenotype.... then grow out my SBs and try to find a real nice sativa dominated SB that still got a berry taste/smell and maybe blue or purple when flowering .... i no its luck to get the phenotypes i want but i got 15 of each so i can hope hehe ..... i just want try breeding for fun and see what i can get from it
    “The legalization of marijuana is not a dangerous experiment – the prohibition is the experiment, and it has failed dramatically, with millions of victims all around the world.”
    Sebastian Marincolo

Vegetative Member Provisionseeds's Avatar

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 566/0
    Given: 103/0

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by LostFrog View Post
    thanks guys .... so this is my plan this summer. when i grow out the KBs (peakseeds bc) i got. am going to put all the male KB in there room (my old veg room) and find the best one. im hoping to get a real nice blue berry phenotype.... then grow out my SBs and try to find a real nice sativa dominated SB that still got a berry taste/smell and maybe blue or purple when flowering .... i no its luck to get the phenotypes i want but i got 15 of each so i can hope hehe ..... i just want try breeding for fun and see what i can get from it
    Make sure you dont get any pollens on unwanted plants lol

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Thumbs Up/Down

i no lol im going to put my old grow box in my walk in closet then make my walk in closet water prof so i can spray water to kill pollen hope it works hehe
    Sebastian Marincolo

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 825/0
    Given: 904/1

nice plan frog, bbx kushxskunkx bb sounds awesome. ive grown out the kb and the sb if you havent tried them yet your gonna love em. if you keep your kxnl going you can cross it with the kb or sb, i know after you try the kxnl your gonna want to keep it. the kxnl x kb sounds good to a little extra kush never hurt no one. lol good luck with the project.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 881/0
    Given: 470/1

One 'Deal Breaker' for me is always a male that auto-flowers or opens up the preflowers into fully formed male flowers with pollen.

A positive sign to look for is trichomes lining the pollen sacks (the male flowers) in the same way that they line the female calyxes, albeit not as dense.

Hollow stems are typically recognized as being associated with more potent males, as this is a plant that is not focusing its energy on producing fibre.

In the Breeders Lab there is a repost of a DJ Short breeding article that you may also want to read through for tips, it mentions some scents to look for and some to avoid and many other points I've not addressed here.

https://www.treatingyourself.org/sho...le-on-Breeding
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    Ceci n'est pas une signature du forum.
    Thank You for using S.h.a.d.i.m.a.r.: the world's most poorly coded chatbot.
    Substantially Humanlike Application Determined Insufficient Mediocre And Relatively annoying.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 7/0
    Given: 3/0

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

-grow the survivors out and look for:
    thc
    high
    colors
    stem smell
    dense root mass
    tight internodal spacing
    lower nutrient requirements
    thick sturdy /obviously hollow stems
    pest / drought / mold / heat / cold resistance
    low leaf/ lots of pollen clusters / full pollen clusters
    a branching pattern that suits your space and growing style

if males are f_ crosses
    i look at leaf structure to try to judge % of ind/sat
    i find a stem rub at an early on can reveal the turp undertone
    eg1 skunk plant with lemon stem will be sat dom= energy high
    eg2 skunk plant with pine stem will be 50/50 ish = alert stone
    eg skunk plant with skunk smell will be ind dom= stupid stone
    i say this based on aromatherapy and trial and error

some things are best to test with clones and controlled tests.

such as resistances.
    since you dont want to kill your stud,
    better to lock up his clones and try to infect them
    (mold , bugs, water/light/nutrient sensitivity etc)
    the flowering onset time is another great thing to know..

the best way to test a male is test it...
    repeatedly, on everything you got

i have some good books in pdf format if anyone is interested.
    Last edited by organic in ottawa; 02-13-2014 at 01:01 PM. Reason: ramble
    oio

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 881/0
    Given: 470/1

Quote Originally Posted by organic in ottawa View Post
    i have some good books in pdf format if anyone is interested.
    You can post them as an attachment, I'd suggest in their own thread so they're easy to find
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    Ceci n'est pas une signature du forum.
    Thank You for using S.h.a.d.i.m.a.r.: the world's most poorly coded chatbot.
    Substantially Humanlike Application Determined Insufficient Mediocre And Relatively annoying.

Thumbs Up/Down

yea i could cross KNLxKB and SBxKB at the same time with the same male good thanking Samhigh lol ........ im going to read up on it now Shadimar.. thanks
    Sebastian Marincolo

Thumbs Up/Down

got my male pollen collection room made its a small grow box im going to put some cfl in il get pic when i start it all
    Sebastian Marincolo

Thumbs Up/Down

ok so i pick out a K/NL male he's one of the taller ones but the nodes are still close together and has the best smell ever a real rancid dank kushy smell im going to cross him with my best BB female i get out of a 10 pack ...... out of PSBC gear (KS,KB,SB,SS,C-99) what should i cross after i cross bb x k/nl ? what sounds good lmao
    Sebastian Marincolo

Flowering Member keepitmedicated's Avatar

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 946/2
    Given: 2,110/4

Never hurts to cross some C-99 into the mix. Could help improve the flowering time and final yeild.
    I got a small box with one cfl that I use to keep my males and vegging clones in that works great. Just need to keep one light in there to do the job, Good luck lostfrog make somthing sticky...K.I.M.
    HARMONY..
    When we lose the right to be different
    We lose the privilage to be free
    Nelson Mandela

Thumbs Up/Down

hell yea K.I.M. that does sound good C-99xK/NL should make a great combo so its going to be C-99xK/NL and BBxK/NL and if the pollen will last i may make some SSxK/NL
    Sebastian Marincolo

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 825/0
    Given: 904/1

hey frog I was thinking a kushxnl x sb. all your favorites in one strain kush nl skunk and bb.
    wonder what kind of phenos would come out of that mix. good luck with your breeding bro.

Thumbs Up/Down

sam that does sound great lol im growing SB next so maybe i will
    Sebastian Marincolo

Thumbs Up/Down

Put any pollen into an airtight container with some rice or anything like that, That will absorb any moisture in the air. Moisture kills pollen. Let it air dry for a little bit take any greenery out of it cause it holds water. and keep her in the freezer only takin out what you need to paint on your intended seed sites with a little paint brush. That should keep your pollen viable for a little bit of time.

If I said somthing wrong please correct my info so I dont give out any misleading information. K.I.M.
    HARMONY..
    Nelson Mandela

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 658/0
    Given: 667/1

I think anything you cross the kushxnl with will be a keeper!! knl x kb does sound pretty good along with the c-99.
    Why drink and drive when you can smoke and fly

Thumbs Up/Down

here are my two K/NL males i like the most for there build and smell now just got to see witch one flowers better will be moving them to there own flowering soonClick image for larger version. 

Name:	HNI_0092.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	58724Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HNI_0093.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	58725Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HNI_0094.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	58726Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HNI_0095.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	84.5 KB 
ID:	58727
    Sebastian Marincolo

Thumbs Up/Down

Some put their males over a glass plate, So when it does start to release its pollen it falls n the glass and just scrape it up and put it into somthing air/water/light tight. They will start to flower and release its dust pretty fast after the light switch to 12/12 so keep in mind that fans around them will make the pollen fly. Wash your hands and change your clothes before you go into your girls room after checking out your guys to avoid any accidental pollination. Water kills the pollen so for sure wash your hands. Good luck with your seeding project, Its easier than you think it just takes some understanding of the plants reproductive cycles so to speak. Ive done lots upon lots of reading concerning breeding. Its becoming an obsession to quest for the ultimate personal head stash of the highest standards. My wife just shakes her head but we gotta have a hobby right?Oh yaa...K.I.M.
    HARMONY..
    Nelson Mandela

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 122/0
    Given: 59/0

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Default Pollen..

I use a glass plate, scrape up with a razor and store in freezer. Auto de-frost freezers sometimes are a problem..cheers..DD

First image, captured yesterday, I simply call pollen, Menage A Moonshine cross of mine, blur is from slow shutter to capture more of the dust cloud..cheers, happy breeding..DD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6590-menage-a-moon-male-C-W.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	58812   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6569-menage-a-moon-male-C-W.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	58813  
    Please join me in my Fall 2012 Cannabis Flowers Pix thread..
    DoobieDuck the Macro Pix
    Don't forget, your comments and "likes" may be the only recognition Breeders, Photographers and Growers receive after putting in the hard work that they do to share theirs here with you. That appreciation goes a long way towards inspiring them to continue sharing it, Respect....DD

Thumbs Up/Down

doobieduck love them pics .... my k/nl male is starting make some nice cluster how many days in to flowering do they start droping pollen ?
    Sebastian Marincolo

Thumbs Up/Down

it takes about 10 to 14 days for pollen to start to fly, Shortly after that then the rest of the plant catches up and starts to throw its pollen everywhere. Good luck, Hope you dont have any pollen accidents and seed everything you got. It is really cool watchin how these buds make seeds. I was lucky and had Shadimar coaching me all the way through making my beans. Watch the calyxes and pistils carefully when you dust em. See what they do, I found it neat to watch.
    HARMONY..
    Nelson Mandela

Thumbs Up/Down

then it should be making pollan soon
    Sebastian Marincolo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast