Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 881/0
    Given: 470/1

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I had a walkman in the early 80s that would play tapes backwards if you put the batteries in wrong

Oh, it turns out we never had to blow on the Nintendo cartridges in the first place, it's an issue with the front loading mechanism.

Nintendo designed the NES to look like a VCR and unlike an Atari console because this was just after the North America video game crash. Having not had this same crash in Japan, the FamiCom (Japanese NES) is a top-loader and did not suffer from the same connection problems, nor did the SNES and top-loading version of the NES.

If you ever get nostalgic for some of the old games, you can also run them from your computer through the use of an emulator (I use a 1990s Playstation controller over USB). There are also emulators for Android so you can play console games up to (and including) PSx on a smartphone.

Speaking of chainsaws, I've been cutting up wood for the winter over the past few months and I've taken apart and reassembled the thing a hundred times in an effort to keep it maintained. Still going strong though
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    Ceci n'est pas une signature du forum.
    Thank You for using S.h.a.d.i.m.a.r.: the world's most poorly coded chatbot.
    Substantially Humanlike Application Determined Insufficient Mediocre And Relatively annoying.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 65/0
    Given: 136/1

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

That's what I told my wife when we first got together think of it as a NES game you must blow on it.
    Help me stop DSS delicate soul syndrome. We need volunteers to hug and hold all the delicate souls until we can heal them. Help us today! You can make a difference in someone's life. Tell them the truth.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,036/0
    Given: 1,031/0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadimar View Post
    I had a walkman in the early 80s that would play tapes backwards if you put the batteries in wrong

Oh, it turns out we never had to blow on the Nintendo cartridges in the first place, it's an issue with the front loading mechanism.

Nintendo designed the NES to look like a VCR and unlike an Atari console because this was just after the North America video game crash. Having not had this same crash in Japan, the FamiCom (Japanese NES) is a top-loader and did not suffer from the same connection problems, nor did the SNES and top-loading version of the NES.

If you ever get nostalgic for some of the old games, you can also run them from your computer through the use of an emulator (I use a 1990s Playstation controller over USB). There are also emulators for Android so you can play console games up to (and including) PSx on a smartphone.

Speaking of chainsaws, I've been cutting up wood for the winter over the past few months and I've taken apart and reassembled the thing a hundred times in an effort to keep it maintained. Still going strong though
    My bro in law (now deceased) and I used to play Contra on the NES all friggin' day long. left, left, up, down, right, right or some such thing and we'd get unlimited men, still never finished the game. An oz and a couple of bags full of munchies and camaraderie. Of course we took a break to watch WWE Wrastlin'...get 'em Hulk Hogan. If he were still around I just may have ended up a gamer.
    My laptop is as old as my xbox and my notebook is atleast 6-7 years old. I don't even know what an emulator is.

N
    I fall upon the earth, and I am embraced. Water gives me life, and I spring forth into the light. My roots run deep into the earth, and I am nourished. With wind and water, light and earth, I conspire to ease your pain and heal your wounds, to bring you peace and calm your mind, to give you wisdom and truth of heart.
    I return to the earth and I am embraced.I am Cannabis
    Nohibition

Thumbs Up/Down

An emulator is a virtual software version of the console hardware such as SNES9x or PSXe.

In short, it's a small program that uses the general-purpose CPU in your computer or phone as if it were the original hardware, and a copy of the ROM chip from the original game cart or track data from a CD. Even an old laptop without a video card can handle a S/NES emu without breaking a sweat. I have one on my phone for SNES games, and one for Playstation that I haven't bothered to use yet so a laptop will have no trouble at all.

The Konami Kode is still famously in use today

You can also try playing the game online via this link: http://play.emuparadise.me/playonlin...A)/sound/55137
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    Substantially Humanlike Application Determined Insufficient Mediocre And Relatively annoying.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 538/2
    Given: 315/0

The downside to emulators is most people don't have game pads or joysticks for computers any more. Those that are on the market tend to be for older hardware and software and apparently don't work with Win7/10.
    I do not fail -- I succeed at finding out what does not work.

Thumbs Up/Down

I've got a PS1->USB adapter from Radio Shack circa 2005 but it looks as though the assumed controller these days is for the X Box.

The PS controller works great for SNES and PS1/2 games but does often go unrecognized in recent titles, not a problem for me as I prefer mouse and keyboard for everything but driving and some games allow both at once so you can use the analog thumbsticks for steering and mouse for firearms.

I've also got a USB gamepad that rarely works with anything despite being intended for the PC from the start *shrugs*

There's also the standby of using the keyboard with an emulator, but it tends to be a pain in the ass especially with 3-key limit most keyboards have.

Aside from that, you can use a current X Box controller over bluetooth and I suspect that the previous models were USB and compatible with PCs so Nohib could try his 12 year old X Box controller as I'm using a 20 year old PS1 pad via an adapter whenever it comes up. I'm a convert to PCs though, so generally it's only when I'm nostalgic for SNES games like Final Fantasy III/VI or out and about and waiting, so I pull out my phone and save the world from some evil pixel art.
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪

Thumbs Up/Down

I have Halo and MOH on a flash drive and occasionally I play those on my laptop. I also prefer K-board and mouse. It's been so long I can't remember which Halo or MOH I have. I wish I could play online but I run off my phone and only have 5 gigs of data.

N
    I fall upon the earth, and I am embraced. Water gives me life, and I spring forth into the light. My roots run deep into the earth, and I am nourished. With wind and water, light and earth, I conspire to ease your pain and heal your wounds, to bring you peace and calm your mind, to give you wisdom and truth of heart.
    Nohibition

Thumbs Up/Down

I imagine it was the one where you storm Normandy on D-Day and remark how it's just like the WWII movies you've seen.

That was my experience with the Console version (different game, same beach) in 2002 and now games are at the level that I survived a nuke in the opening of Fallout 4 and felt mildly depressed when I ventured into the desolate wasteland, and past my dilapidated house that somehow withstood a nuke and 200 years of weather (pre-war snack cakes carried around by mutants still seem rather fresh though so maybe it's just me).

Perhaps it's knowing how close we came to something like it in real life, down to the several instances of "Sarge! We've got incoming on the radar, should we launch?" that were later found to be training tapes, software bugs, and aircraft.

I suspect we're a few years away from the start of augmented reality games along the lines of defending your house from alien invaders, taking cover behind your furniture, and disturbing the neighbours until they catch your twitch.tv stream and ask how they can join in
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪

Thumbs Up/Down

I imagine it was the one where you storm Normandy on D-Day and remark how it's just like the WWII movies you've seen.
    Hit it bang on, it's Medal of Honor Allied Assault. I actually enjoy playing it but I can't stay focused on just one thing. I get up to make a coffee and get distracted then forget I was playing and end up doing something else...until I need another coffee.
    I spend my day starting and go to bed with nothing done. Looking at the bright side I've always got lots to do. I think I still have Duke Nukem and Earthworm Jim on my note book.

[QUOTE][/(pre-war snack cakes carried around by mutants still seem rather fresh though so maybe it's just me).QUOTE]
    Those are Rotten Ronnie McNuggets
    N
    Nohibition

Thumbs Up/Down

PCs are good for multitasking these days so I find myself often ALT+Tab-ing out of a game to google something, watch a video file or stream, or to simply take a break and go outside.

Then I just tab back to the game if it's not the type that lets you save mostly anywhere. Most recent games use F5 as a quicksave so you can very literally play in 5 minute intervals if that's how it works out for you (the quicksave lets you save at virtually any time so you can quit the game if it taxes your system too much running in standby).

I tend to watch movies in a similar way, and if I'm watching a TV series then I'll often go in order one right after the other, but actual viewing often involves multiple pauses to follow other trains of thought.
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪

Thumbs Up/Down

Speaking of Medal of Honor..

♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪

Thumbs Up/Down

I'm limited to the Steam games that run on Linux, which means much older games. But that is ok -- I have the complete Half-Life series including all the mission packs, and I've never played any of them save for the original game and Half-Life 2. While my laptop "only" has built-in Intel graphics, those are quite a bit more powerful than the graphics cards that were around when those games came out, so they run *flawlessly.*

CPUs were so weak back then, too, that even this five year old Core i7 is barely above an idle while playing the games.

Thumbs Up/Down

I asked my son where to buy games. He just chuckled and said "try a garage sale dad."

N
    Nohibition

Thumbs Up/Down

Well if you're using an old laptop with integrated graphics (no video card) as many people are since that's all that's needed to surf the net, then games from a garage sale would most likely run fine with the one caveat that the CD keys may not work for online play if the DRM is particularly stringent (if they use online activation it may also prevent single-player use as it could consider you to be an unlicensed install. This would then require you to use a cracked fix).

There's also Steam (Valve, makers of Half Life mentioned above) as Groo alluded to earlier, you can download games often for cheap as there is no physical copy of the game to manufacture and ship.

Gog.com is another digital publisher - it stands for Good Old Games but they also have some new releases that would make your laptop scream with intimidation and their software is all DRM-free so you don't have to worry about it installing a rootkit a la Sony or even checking to see if there's a disc in the drive (my new PC is deliberately lacking a DVD drive as I consider optical discs obsolete for personal storage).

And, I hear, there are some people online who play games and yet do not buy any
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪

Thumbs Up/Down

I dunno what I have, the sticker says graphics by Nvidia. Those two games play fine on this old thing, never had an issue.
    Mamma still wants to play the original Mario Bros. she used to run up and fall in the first hole. lol
    She was a whiz playing astroblast on the old intellivision (?) and jai alai on my commodore. I gave away two Adam computer a couple of years ago. The guy had them hooked up and working the same day. Anyway I used to have unlimited internet but now with just 5 gigs I don't do a lot of downloading, just e-books from smashwords and the like

N
    Nohibition

Thumbs Up/Down

This nifty li'l piece of software will let you peer under the hood and find out all the relevant info about your CPU, iGFX/video card, RAM, motherboard, drives, etc

http://download.cpuid.com/cpu-z/cpu-z_1.77-en.exe

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPU-Z

Given that you have an nVidia GPU, I'd wager that it's a full mobile graphics card as integrated video is mostly covered by Intel and AMD these days so you can probably run significantly newer games than the two you mentioned, and at ultra settings & max resolution
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪

Thumbs Up/Down

Install the steam client, and then you can bookmark older games you are interested in, and keep an eye out for sales. There are usually some *great* deals around Christmas time and into the new year -- I got the entire Half-Life series plus a couple of other games for under $30 (about $2.70/game.)

Thumbs Up/Down

Speaking of Half-Life, I just got the urge to play through the Portal series again (side note, load screens from 2007 can be funny on a modern SSD as they amount to a screen flicker). I'm a tiny bit surprised that Valve didn't produce Portal 3 as a Vive launch title as VR is rather perfect for the portal gun, especially since teleportation is a common means of locomotion. Happily, there's a demo of Budget Cuts which is an indie VR title very much in the style of a Valve game (and I've found a singing turret choir elsewhere).

Granted, of course, we all know that the 5th Law of Thermodynamics states that as a system approaches a third Valve title, time asymptotes - thus delaying any actual release. Just look how poor Gordon has fared over the years through all the HL3 memes:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	halflife2499e324al0_400x400.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	60840 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1658105-house_is_gordon_freeman.jpg 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	60841 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	maxresdefault.jpg 
Size:	121.2 KB 
ID:	60844

Look at his face, Gabe! He just wants to run free again like he did in his youth on ATI cards and single-core CPUs. Poor guy''s had a mid-half-life crisis and started posting hate speech on twitter and appearing in bad cashgrab films with Kirk Cameron

Now, the reason I came here:

Oh, and Groo. I've never used Linux so I can't speak for the performance, but have you ever tried Wine to run windows programs? It'd open up a lot more games to you. (There's also the Win10 Iso that apparently never actually requires activation if you don't mind the nag watermark)
    Last edited by Shadimar; 09-25-2016 at 01:01 PM.
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪

Thumbs Up/Down

Default This Is Just Offensive

Oww....

The joke is all in the thumbnail, it's a regular video about cooking fish if you watch it.
    Last edited by Shadimar; 03-30-2019 at 02:22 PM.
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567