In a forest in the mountains, on a stream, with the eagle, elk, and bear.
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2/0
    Given: 6/0

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Default Essential Tremors

I need some help, please. I am trying to help a person with Essential Tremors who is fed up with pharmaceutical solutions and is unwilling to undergo brain surgery. She has tried several (4 or 5) different pharma med regimens, each of which has inflicted some sort of serious side effect on her. Brain surgery is the only non-med solution. She wants to try medical marijuana to see if it will help slow down the progression of her tremors or even possibly alleviate the symptoms for short periods of time. She has had to give up a lot of things she in her life she loves because of the tremors. It would be a blessing to both of us if you could help me help her.

When she gets her letter (we're in Washington State, USA) in another couple of weeks, I plan to help her get a few things to try at a dispensary to get started. To ensure her long-term supply, I'd like to find a strain to grow for her.

Because they seem to work well on neurological stuff and because she does not enjoy being high, I am thinking that I would focus on high-CBD, low-THC strains. She also doesn't like smoking and I'm guessing that would include vaping. She wants something fast-acting and she wants to be able to control dosing. I'm thinking a tincture might be the best solution for her. Whatever method of ingestion she settles on, I'll have to support it in the long run.

I have no experience with high-CBD, low-THC strains other than a small amount I tried once to see if it would work on my nerve pain any better than the high-CBD, high-THC strains I've used. They worked on the nerve pain but not any better than the high-THC stuff and I enjoy the high so ...

I'm open to any suggestions or recommendations or thoughts anyone would care to throw my way. I'm mostly interested in strain recommendations or lineages and method of ingestion.

Thanks for the help. She's a wonderful woman and I've been watching her tremors get worse for a lot of years now. I watched it force her to give up most of her hobbies years ago. In the past few years, she's had to give up some pretty ordinary stuff, like the buffet at a friend's wedding. Some days, she can't even sign her name.
    "The cure for all ills and wrongs, the cares, the sorrows and the crimes of humanity, all lie in the one word 'love.' It is the divine vitality that everywhere produces and restores life."
    -- Lydia Maria Child

Zygote

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/0
    Given: 8/0

Heythere. Just chipping in with my experience, hopefully someone more well-informed will contribute as well.

I've tried other CBD rich strains but I keep coming back to Cannatonic - I've grown it twice now and I take it daily in coconut oil. It has a gentle, low key high and very much a body stone for me which becomes sort of blissful when drifting off to sleep at night. Pretty relaxing to the muscles and not debilitating. I've found that tolerance builds quite quickly so if the THC content is too much for her first time it's worth persevering or building up slowly to a higher dose.

Tincture would be a great method of delivery IMO and these CBD strains are very suited to edibles or tinctures, much better than smoking or vaping them.

There are many CBD strains to choose from now, even a CBD enriched Mango Haze from CBD crew just released.

Good luck with it.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 50/0
    Given: 5/0

I wish I had some knowledgable info to share on this subject as your friends condition tugs on my heart strings. I'm sure a lil research on high cbd low thc strains will render a winner. I do know Subcool has recently released such a strain. Ah shit check that... the strain is Pennywise but has equal parts cbd/thc. 12%-15% of each. I'll look into this strain hunt some more. Has she tried a high thc before?

Thumbs Up/Down

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

She took a few puffs off a joint of Thai bud in 1978 and she ate brownies for about a week about five years ago when she was in pain and couldn't sleep. She hated being high after smoking the joint but she loved being able to sleep after eating a brownie. If a single nightly dose would get it done for her that would be the way to go if I can find the right strain. The THC content may be less of an issue. If she needs to treat herself more often though, or to treat symptoms, a low-THC tincture makes more sense given her desires.

All of which assumes that a high-CBD/low-THC strain will be the right thing for her condition. I have a fairly wide spectrum in my garden, a couple of indicas, a kush, a couple of skunks, and I'll soon have a sat-dom hybrid. All of which I can use now and in the near future to make some edibles and see if anything works or works better.

Thanks for the help. It means a lot. Truly.

~TH~
    "The cure for all ills and wrongs, the cares, the sorrows and the crimes of humanity, all lie in the one word 'love.' It is the divine vitality that everywhere produces and restores life."
    -- Lydia Maria Child

Flowering Member

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 19/0
    Given: 0/0

I dont have tremors but a meeting I go to has some people with tremors that have had the DBS implant and seem to like them.I know when they are switched off you can see a very big change. Jerry

Thumbs Up/Down

Thanks. I've never heard of them but I'm guessing she has. She passed along this information, though with the inability of medical science to conduct meaningful research, I'm not sure it's useful in figuring out MMJ strains and dosages.

She needs something that "directly or indirectly acts to enhance inhibitory nerve cell activity."

And: "Stimulation of the inhibitory GABA neurotransmitter is a major target in ET therapy."
    -- Lydia Maria Child

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 881/0
    Given: 470/1

If you can stomach eating a powdered root then Kava Kava hits the GABA receptors as well, all the while remaining non habit forming and without any tolerance. It does however taste much like the dirt it was grown in and can be difficult to get down without gagging as a few tablespoons will be required for an effective dose unless an extract is used, which tends to get pricey.

I've used the same amount daily for a year or two and then stopped suddenly because I simply didn't feel like having any. It does have real sedative and anxiolytic effects although I don't think the human intestines are prepared to digest the starch properly.

Because it does act on GABA, I would not simply add Kava to Rx drugs that would interact with it but would consider it as another option. The "ask your doctor" bit probably won't help in this aspect as the doctor is likely to know nothing about it or to think it causes liver failure and scare you away.

If your doctor *is* better informed, then by all means ask away if a broad GABA agonist without tolerance, dependence, or withdrawal would be a beneficial treatment.
    Last edited by Shadimar; 11-08-2013 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Typo in 1st sentence: and -> any
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    Ceci n'est pas une signature du forum.
    Thank You for using S.h.a.d.i.m.a.r.: the world's most poorly coded chatbot.
    Substantially Humanlike Application Determined Insufficient Mediocre And Relatively annoying.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 25/0
    Given: 12/0

Dixie elixors out of Colorado carry CBD oil and regular oil i believe.

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by Shadimar View Post
    If you can stomach eating a powdered root then Kava Kava hits the GABA receptors as well, all the while remaining non habit forming and without any tolerance. It does however taste much like the dirt it was grown in and can be difficult to get down without gagging as a few tablespoons will be required for an effective dose unless an extract is used, which tends to get pricey.

I've used the same amount daily for a year or two and then stopped suddenly because I simply didn't feel like having any. It does have real sedative and anxiolytic effects although I don't think the human intestines are prepared to digest the starch properly.

Because it does act on GABA, I would not simply add Kava to Rx drugs that would interact with it but would consider it as another option. The "ask your doctor" bit probably won't help in this aspect as the doctor is likely to know nothing about it or to think it causes liver failure and scare you away.

If your doctor *is* better informed, then by all means ask away if a broad GABA agonist without tolerance, dependence, or withdrawal would be a beneficial treatment.
    This so rocks, Shadimar, thank you very much. My mmj doctor is an advocate of all sorts of alternative medicinal stuff so when she goes to see her, I'll recommend she (the person with tremors) bring it up with her (the doctor).
    -- Lydia Maria Child

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by benwire View Post
    Dixie elixors out of Colorado carry CBD oil and regular oil i believe.
    Thanks. I'll give them a call what I can find out. I found a lab that posts CBD percentages online for stuff available here in Washington and have a line on some possibilities. For the long term, the referrel to the CBD Crew looks like exactly what I need. I've also found the names of a few dispensaries that regularly stock high-cbd meds.
    -- Lydia Maria Child