Finally Resting In Peace medpot's Avatar

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 28/0
    Given: 5/0

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Default US Food & Drug Administration Approves Cannabis Based Drug for Clinical Trials

Marijuana.com

US Food & Drug Administration Approves Cannabis Based Drug for Clinical Trials

Posted November 2nd, 2013 by Barry Poppins & filed under News.

Marijuana may soon be sold over the counter at pharmacies all over America. The FDA made a landmark decision this past Thursday, acknowledging Cannabidiol’s (CBD) medical potential and healing powers, green-lighting “Epidiolex,” a CBD-based tincture, for clinical trials.

CBD’s benefits have gone mainstream this year, and you can chalk that up to the Sanjay Gupta effect. Since Gupta and CNN highlighted CBD as a sort of Sorcerer’s Stone for children with seizures, public opinion on marijuana as medicine and legalization has vastly shifted in favor of weed.

Likewise, it appears the U.S. government and the FDA have also taken notice, and are (maybe) ready to start admitting this good stuff has the magic medical touch. Here is press release in full:

This progression in thought and policy comes thanks to America’s increased understanding that CBD, a cannabinoid found in cannabis, has cured epilepsy in medical marijuana states. And it’s just the tip of the “marijuana is medicine” iceberg.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has approved clinical trials of a cannabis-based drug and its effects on epilepsy. The treatment, Epidiolex, is 98 percent purified cannabidiol ( CBD ) made by GW Pharmaceuticals based out of the U.K.

There are around 60 known chemicals contained in cannabis called cannabinoids. Tetrahydrocannabinol, also known as THC, is the main component responsible for the drug’s psychoactive nature. CBD, however, is the second most abundant cannabinoid in the cannabis and provides medicinal benefits without the “high.” Epidiolex will come in a viscous liquid form to be dispensed from syringes. A 25 milligram per meter or 100 milligram per meter will be the two strengths made available to those in the trials.

The FDA has approved of intermediate-sized clinical trials sponsored by two doctors. Dr. Orrin Devinsky, a professor in the Department of Neurology, Neuroscience and Psychiatry in the New York University School of Medicine and director of the NYU Comprehensive Epilepsy Center, and Dr. Roberta Cilio, a pediatric neurologist at the University of California, San Francisco, are set to follow 25 patients using Epidiolex as treatment for pediatric epilepsy.

[Mapinc.org]
    Thus, if and when this drug passes the trial stage and makes it to pharmacies, the benefit for epilepsy stricken-kids in non-medical marijuana would be immense. No longer would families have to call in a favor to a relative or family friend in Colorado or Washington.

Instead, they’ll head to their pediatrician, pick up a prescription, and watch with joy as their child’s seizures disappear.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 884/0
    Given: 478/1

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Marinol is $10 a pop.

How much is this one going to bleed us for?
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    Ceci n'est pas une signature du forum.
    Thank You for using S.h.a.d.i.m.a.r.: the world's most poorly coded chatbot.
    Substantially Humanlike Application Determined Insufficient Mediocre And Relatively annoying.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 538/2
    Given: 315/0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

It'd be nice if they put it up for trial in Canada, too. There's a slim chance I'd be able to get in on the testing under Saskatchewan's "Exceptional Drug Status" program seeing as the testing would be with the intent of getting a DIN for it. Scrips under EDS only cost me $2/month, so if the stuff worked for my migraines, I'd be happy to take it.

Don't get me wrong -- I *enjoy* getting high as a side-effect of my meds. But it's not what they're all about.
    I do not fail -- I succeed at finding out what does not work.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 825/0
    Given: 904/1

its hard to ignore when you have kids going from 200 seizures a month down to 4. that in itself changes the life of the kid and the families for the better, thanks to cbd.

Embryo

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 19/0
    Given: 0/1

This is HUGE !!!!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 884/0
    Given: 478/1

In the forum, it looked like the FDA approved herbal cannabis, which got me a little over excited
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    Ceci n'est pas une signature du forum.
    Thank You for using S.h.a.d.i.m.a.r.: the world's most poorly coded chatbot.
    Substantially Humanlike Application Determined Insufficient Mediocre And Relatively annoying.