Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 40
  1. #1
    Data Nazi Lightly_Toasted's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,669
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 538/2
    Given: 347/1
    Rep Power
    15


    2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

    Default Regarding TY Magazine Site and Forums

    Well Marco has made a decision in regards to the forum and magazine website.

    Quote Originally Posted by Marco Renda
    Hey there
    If you want to host the forums and previously published issues of TY magazine on your server please let me know as I am probably going to be taking the site down.
    He has given me a time frame of 2-4 weeks to get info transferred to a new server.

    I am currently working out the details and will keep everyone posted. I am doing my best to keep TY here for everyone!

    LT

  2. #2
    Embryo Smokehog's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    93
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 14/0
    Given: 15/0
    Rep Power
    12

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

    Default

    That's sad news, hope all works out, great community here. Be sad to see the site go

    Keep us all updated...
    Formerly kevmoz.

  3. #3
    Data Nazi Lightly_Toasted's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,669
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 538/2
    Given: 347/1
    Rep Power
    15


    2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

    Default

    I will begin migrating everything to my server very soon. With the Mag pdf's and the Forum attachments, I am moving approx 30-50gb of data around. Will take a bit of time. When the transfer is complete, TY may be slow for a bit until I can afford to find a faster option.

    TY isn't going nowhere, hence the reason Marco asked me if I wanted to host it(keep the site running without him in full control I assume).

    LT

  4. #4
    Vegetative Member

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    728
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 15/0
    Given: 2/0
    Rep Power
    16

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

    Default

    I know it may be early to know all the particulars, the members of the forum will need to do some regular fund raising to cover bandwidth costs ect ect.
    The first few ideas rolling off my head are prrobably NOT doable for an array of reasons logistic and legal.
    The forum isn't bursting at the seams from action so bandwidth may not be so expensive.
    Hosting the past issues of TY may cost so ideas may be needed to defray those costs or possibly a nominal download fee.

    If Marco is giving up the forum, who will be the owner?

  5. #5
    Data Nazi Lightly_Toasted's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,669
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 538/2
    Given: 347/1
    Rep Power
    15


    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

    Default

    I will have some answers when I get home. Standing outside freezing waiting for my kiddo to get out of school right now.

    LT

  6. #6
    Data Nazi Lightly_Toasted's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,669
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 538/2
    Given: 347/1
    Rep Power
    15


    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

    Default

    Ok, basically Marco gave me permission to turn treating yourself into an online type publication. I cannot however use www.treatingyourself.com but rather www.treatingyourselfmagazine.com or similar. This is related to certain legalities. Basically as we know it, Treatingyourself.com will no longer exist. Nor will it be referred to such anymore. The first priority will be to get the forum moved and then start laying the groundwork to revive the magazine. Will need volunteers to pull that off.

    Now as far as server, I will temporarily host TY on my server until a better alternative can be found. I have looked into a dedicated server and for $60 a month with a 1 year contract one similar to mine can be leased with faster bandwidth. It is scalable as the need arises.

    Now as far as funding, we may have to bring back advertisements to the forum. I know my finances are tied up till after January.

    I am assuming*** (big stretch right now) that Marco will be taking a step back as he has only a certain course of action available to him at this point. I doubt he is abandoning the forum entirely, but just cannot proceed to finance the forum and the mag anymore.

    LT

  7. #7
    Vegetative Member LostFrog's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    916
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 564/0
    Given: 1,294/1
    Rep Power
    8

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

    Default

    thank you for everything you do brother
    “The legalization of marijuana is not a dangerous experiment – the prohibition is the experiment, and it has failed dramatically, with millions of victims all around the world.”
    Sebastian Marincolo

  8. #8
    Vegetative Member schmade420's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Fountain, Co
    Posts
    620
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 50/0
    Given: 5/0
    Rep Power
    10

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

    Default

    Thanx LT. Anything I can do, I will.

  9. #9
    Flowering Member keepitmedicated's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    NorthWestern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,036
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 946/2
    Given: 2,110/4
    Rep Power
    9

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

    Default

    I hope that you can work this out LT, Man you have been doin a hell of a lot of work here. Thank you for keeping this alive, This has been a very useful site to many of us to help us maintain our medication/recreational plants. If needed I for one would be happy to make some donations to the cause from time to time. Not much but a little goes a long way right? Just dont want to see all those banners and popups and all that corporate mumbo jumbo, I geuss seedbanks and glass wares wouldnt hurt too much. Im not too computer savvy but if there is anything that I can do to help I will try. Keep up the good fight LT it is much appreciated. K.I.M.
    HARMONY..
    When we lose the right to be different
    We lose the privilage to be free
    Nelson Mandela

  10. #10
    Data Nazi Lightly_Toasted's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,669
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 538/2
    Given: 347/1
    Rep Power
    15


    3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

    Default

    There will be plenty of ways everyone can help. In the end this will become a much closer community!

    I will be letting everyone know what they can do to help very soon.

    Like I said I am doing my best to keep TY around, and am glad my work here is appreciated!!!

    LT

  11. #11
    Flowering Member keepitmedicated's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    NorthWestern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,036
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 946/2
    Given: 2,110/4
    Rep Power
    9

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

    Default

    Damn right it is LT, Just Let us know what we can do. A closer comunity is always a good thing guys, So lets all pitch in and make sure our place is still going to be around for the next decade or so. There seems to be not a lot of people that use this site regularly and I like that cause it allows us to get to know each other better. Makes everyone comfortable to lend a hand helping people out. Isnt that what this is supposed to be about anyways. keep it alive. K.I.M.
    HARMONY..
    When we lose the right to be different
    We lose the privilage to be free
    Nelson Mandela

  12. #12
    Vegetative Member

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    728
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 15/0
    Given: 2/0
    Rep Power
    16

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

    Default

    Does the forum still have a paypal account?

    The wheels in my head are already spinning towards a equitable solution.

    It was after all many many good people that through the years came to TY and participated and gave of themselves to make the place what it became!
    Is a shame to see but as LT said it will bring a tighter nit group as result.
    Will the advertisers currently in the Mag be allowed to be harnessed to sponsor the forum with Banner ads and the like?

  13. #13
    Data Nazi Lightly_Toasted's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,669
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 538/2
    Given: 347/1
    Rep Power
    15


    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

    Default

    At this time I have taken the donation system down since I no longer have a useable paypal account.

    As far as advertisers, anything is negotiable as long as it benefits the community.

    LT

  14. #14
    Flowering Member keepitmedicated's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    NorthWestern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,036
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 946/2
    Given: 2,110/4
    Rep Power
    9

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

    Default

    Just tell the light and nutrient companies that advertise here that they have to give us members a discount on their products also. That would be kinda beneficial
    HARMONY..
    When we lose the right to be different
    We lose the privilage to be free
    Nelson Mandela

  15. #15
    420grower
    Guest

    Default

    well you can count on Mr McGooz canna-products for support in any form,peace and as all have said,thanks LT for your hard work and dedication to this great site,peace

  16. #16
    Data Nazi Lightly_Toasted's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,669
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 538/2
    Given: 347/1
    Rep Power
    15


    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

    Default

    We will be looking for support in the near future from legal advertisers. I am currently in discussion with an attorney as to what can and what cannot happen to stay out of LEO sights.

    All in all, with this type of shift, I will become liable, and being in another country, the rules change a bit. I would like to avoid "federal pound me in the ass prison"(guess the quote origination for 50 points) and see my daughter grow up vs. helping someone trying to sell illegal wares for a buck. Just gotta dot my I's and keep things legit.

    I now understand some of what Marco had to go through to keep TY going all these years.

    I will have more information about what can and can't go very soon hopefully, and will keep everyone updated.

    Please feel free to voice your thoughts, I will do my best to answer them.

    LT

  17. #17
    Finally Resting In Peace medpot's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,786
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 28/0
    Given: 5/0
    Rep Power
    17

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

    Default A matter of reflection

    Hi LT my friend!

    It's important for some to keep the TreatingYourself Forums, MedPot.net Forums and other cannabis related forums alive, but when we realize that today, on average, only 2% to 4% of our active members still participate, it's a serious matter of reflection.

    TY is about as old as MedPot, and in our first 3 years, around 96% of our active members used to participate from time to time.

    But, when Facebook, Twitter and other popular social groups came out, the majority of our members dumped us in the following years - sadly..but it's a fact.

    But you know, as it concerns Facebook, Twitter and other social groups, the 'cat came out of the bag' in the last years (with the NSA), and with ALL their Police and government (and spammers) control in there with their automated keyword technology bots, they are far from being safe places.

    You got rid of most bad automated bots and unwanted 'user agents' on your board lately, so you made your board much safer than before.

    I did the same on MedPot 7 years ago.

    True that we may unknowingly and involuntary let some Police informers register, but that's out of our control, and it's a tiny minority, as it wouldn't be cost efficient for Police and government authorities to hire thousands of human beings to spy on thousands of public boards and lists on the net.

    So I believe that we DESERVE a second chance, because we got rid of unwanted things that others don't want to (or cannot) get rid of.

    We're independent and NOT under Police and government control....so that's important!

    ALL our members should come back!

    Peace

    P.S. I also encourage all TY members who registered on MedPot to participate on our board.

    Marc

    Last edited by medpot; 10-25-2013 at 10:43 AM.

  18. #18
    Data Nazi Lightly_Toasted's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,669
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 538/2
    Given: 347/1
    Rep Power
    15


    2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by medpot View Post
    Hi LT my friend!

    It's important for some to keep the TreatingYourself Forums, MedPot.net Forums and other cannabis related forums alive, but when we realize that today, on average, only 2% to 4% of our active members still participate, it's a serious matter of reflection.

    TY is about as old as MedPot, and in our first 3 years, around 96% of our active members used to participate from time to time.

    But, when Facebook, Twitter and other popular social groups came out, the majority of our members dumped us in the following years - sadly..but it's a fact.

    But you know, as it concerns Facebook, Twitter and other social groups, the 'cat came out of the bag' in the last years (with the NSA), and with ALL their Police and government (and spammers) control in there with their automated keyword technology bots, they are far from being safe places.

    You got rid of most bad automated bots and unwanted 'user agents' on your board lately, so you made your board much safer than before.

    I did the same on MedPot 7 years ago.

    True that we may unknowingly and involuntary let some Police informers register, but that's out of our control, and it's a tiny minority, as it wouldn't be cost efficient for Police and government authorities to hire thousands of human beings to spy on thousands of public boards and lists on the net.

    So I believe that we DESERVE a second chance, because we got rid of unwanted things that others don't want to (or cannot) get rid of.

    We're independent and NOT under Police and government control....so that's important!

    ALL our members should come back!

    Peace

    P.S. I also encourage all TY members who registered on MedPot to participate on our board.

    Marc

    Ty has been my home now for about 3 years now. Hence the reason I am willing to do everything I can to keep it up and running smooth. I know a lot of our participation had dropped off when the site became crippled before I became admin. Yet we are still averaging 60-70 unique member visits a day(those that log in). Very soon not much will be browse-able without logging in, ie news and community stuff will still be open, but grow info and everything else will be closed to guests. I am trying to do my best to protect our members.

    Eventually many will realize that most mainstream social media sites are setup for entrapment. All your private conversations are monitored for keywords, phrases etc. Whereas on forums all your private information can easily be purged from the database and gone. Which reminds me of a new policy I am toying with to purge all PM's after so many days to protect our members even more.

    As far as informants registering, nothing can do about that. That is life, everyone should be aware of this fact when making any kind of unsanctioned deals through this website. That is also why I will be adding a disclaimer to the site to the effect that TY cannot be held responsible for any transactions made in private as we cannot control what goes on in PM's. But in the same token if users are conducting illegal activities and it comes to light we would reserve the right to permanently ban the member. This would keep TY out of legal trouble.

    I would also encourage all MedPot members registered here to participate here as well. Kinda consider TY and MedPot brother/sister sites. Would be interesting if a member bridge was possible where members from both sites could have one single login and not have to create another account to participate on either site.

    LT

  19. #19
    Finally Resting In Peace medpot's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,786
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 28/0
    Given: 5/0
    Rep Power
    17

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lightly_toasted View Post
    Ty has been my home now for about 3 years now. Hence the reason I am willing to do everything I can to keep it up and running smooth. I know a lot of our participation had dropped off when the site became crippled before I became admin. Yet we are still averaging 60-70 unique member visits a day(those that log in). Very soon not much will be browse-able without logging in, ie news and community stuff will still be open, but grow info and everything else will be closed to guests. I am trying to do my best to protect our members.

    Eventually many will realize that most mainstream social media sites are setup for entrapment. All your private conversations are monitored for keywords, phrases etc. Whereas on forums all your private information can easily be purged from the database and gone. Which reminds me of a new policy I am toying with to purge all PM's after so many days to protect our members even more.

    As far as informants registering, nothing can do about that. That is life, everyone should be aware of this fact when making any kind of unsanctioned deals through this website. That is also why I will be adding a disclaimer to the site to the effect that TY cannot be held responsible for any transactions made in private as we cannot control what goes on in PM's. But in the same token if users are conducting illegal activities and it comes to light we would reserve the right to permanently ban the member. This would keep TY out of legal trouble.

    I would also encourage all MedPot members registered here to participate here as well. Kinda consider TY and MedPot brother/sister sites. Would be interesting if a member bridge was possible where members from both sites could have one single login and not have to create another account to participate on either site.

    LT
    I know a lot of our participation had dropped off when the site became crippled before I became admin.
    Facebook is majorly the reason why participation had dropped on TY in the last years, but there were other reasons as well, and it's not worth mentioning them anymore, because it wouldn't solve anything, it wouldn't be constructive, and it would upset some people I do not wish to mention and start a futile feud that nobody needs.

    But, it has nothing to do with you LT.

    LT said: Yet we are still averaging 60-70 unique member visits a day(those that log in).
    That's around 6% (average) of your active members, and they don't all post when they log in.

    As an example, in the last 24 hours, 16 TY members posted some replies.

    Also, it's mostly the same few dozens of members (or less) who participate..and some new members at the beginning - but they don't all continue to participate.

    It's the same with the MedPot.net Forums...and CC Forums, etc.

    LT said: Very soon not much will be browse-able without logging in, ie news and community stuff will still be open, but grow info and everything else will be closed to guests. I am trying to do my best to protect our members.
    Very bright idea LT.

    The MedPot.net Forums also have some seed and grower sections, but they are only available for our signed in members only...since many years.

    LT said: Eventually many will realize that most mainstream social media sites are setup for entrapment. All your private conversations are monitored for keywords, phrases etc.
    Indeed their members risk ALL kinds of entrapment, and they also let plenty of automated spam bots register on purpose (like if they were humans).

    Who ever thought that Facebook, Twitter and other 'FREE' social groups were really for 'FREE'? they're not.

    LT said: That is also why I will be adding a disclaimer to the site to the effect that TY cannot be held responsible for any transactions made in private as we cannot control what goes on in PM's. But in the same token if users are conducting illegal activities and it comes to light we would reserve the right to permanently ban the member. This would keep TY out of legal trouble.
    We have a similar statement under the MedPot.net Forums' terms and rules, so it's an excellent idea LT!

    LT said: I would also encourage all MedPot members registered here to participate here as well.
    Many of them already do.

    LT said: Kinda consider TY and MedPot brother/sister sites.
    In a way we are, but TY is more focused on cannabis seeds and grower information, and MedPot is more focused on cannabis and other drug news from Canada, US, the UK, Australia and around the world.

    I used to post many topics on TY, but if TY is kept alive, I may start posting some more topics again in the times to come.

    The reasons I stopped posting some topics here aren't here anymore.

    Unfortunately, in the past, 2 TY members lost their jobs after I posted some media articles (marijuana busts) that had their names in them, and when their employers did a Google search with their names, it lead them to the Google snap shot copies of theses articles posted on TY, because the original media links were discontinued.

    Just make sure that Google doesn't copy your board's index page, because if they do, it will display the titles of your recent threads - so an htaccess 'deny from' is recommended in case they don't respect all the robots.txt protocols.

    Marc


  20. #20
    Flowering Member nohibition's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Manitoba
    Posts
    1,722
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,036/0
    Given: 1,031/0
    Rep Power
    11

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

    Default

    I've been a member since 2011 and have drifted in and out since. Until now I had never concerned myself with what was going on in the background. For that I am truly sorry. After reading this thread I realize that if you want to be part of something successful you have to contribute in a positive manner. I have seen members share their knowledge and their grief and members who offer compassion and understanding. We are all in this TOGETHER. I don't know what I have to offer but I do know that I've rediscovered TY and suddenly feel something important to me and many others may be threatened. Time to rally the masses.
    I fall upon the earth, and I am embraced. Water gives me life, and I spring forth into the light. My roots run deep into the earth, and I am nourished. With wind and water, light and earth, I conspire to ease your pain and heal your wounds, to bring you peace and calm your mind, to give you wisdom and truth of heart.
    I return to the earth and I am embraced.I am Cannabis
    Nohibition

  21. #21
    Shadinated groo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Saskatchewan
    Posts
    5,819
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 538/2
    Given: 315/0
    Rep Power
    15

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

    Default

    Well I'll say it if you won't, Marc.

    TY imploded with a whole bunch of nasty bullshit between members and people who were supposed to be moderators. One mod in particular was nasty to a *lot* of people, and drove away huge segments of the membership. No one considers it "fun" to be insulted and slandered, and a lot of people gave up on the community and left rather than put up with it any more.

    Even though I've been here since *before* the magazine started, I got fed up with the crap and left for a couple of years. I don't see the mod in question posting any more, though I've heard they're still around. At least they learned to STFU instead of slanging people all the time.

    No one wants to hang around an uncivilized community except the uncivilized. Things are better now, but all it takes is one loose cannon of a personality to tear that all down if they're allowed to post without restrictions. Although I despise censorship from a philosophical standpoint, years of being on various forums and websites seeing the depressing dregs of humanity spewing their hatred and vile bigotry has convinced me that sometimes there is a need for the "Ban" button.
    I do not fail -- I succeed at finding out what does not work.

  22. #22
    Finally Resting In Peace medpot's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,786
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 28/0
    Given: 5/0
    Rep Power
    17

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by groo View Post
    Well I'll say it if you won't, Marc.

    TY imploded with a whole bunch of nasty bullshit between members and people who were supposed to be moderators. One mod in particular was nasty to a *lot* of people, and drove away huge segments of the membership. No one considers it "fun" to be insulted and slandered, and a lot of people gave up on the community and left rather than put up with it any more.

    Even though I've been here since *before* the magazine started, I got fed up with the crap and left for a couple of years. I don't see the mod in question posting any more, though I've heard they're still around. At least they learned to STFU instead of slanging people all the time.

    No one wants to hang around an uncivilized community except the uncivilized. Things are better now, but all it takes is one loose cannon of a personality to tear that all down if they're allowed to post without restrictions. Although I despise censorship from a philosophical standpoint, years of being on various forums and websites seeing the depressing dregs of humanity spewing their hatred and vile bigotry has convinced me that sometimes there is a need for the "Ban" button.
    You were very kind groo.

    It's not as easy to own and manage a good board as many might think.

    Disputes, disrespect, and destructive attitudes not expected from adults affect most social groups, boards and lists on the net, but it's more frequent at some places than others.

    A board owner and it's Admins and Moderators learn by their trials, errors and omissions, and when nasty disputes are too common, the board's terms and rules have to be modified to make sure that such attitudes are not permitted and tolerated on their board, and ANY discords between those concerned have to be solved in private by PM or email - instead of involving the whole community, waste everyone's time, and possibly lose some valuable members.

    It took quite a while until the TreatingYourself board terms and rules were modified to reflect what I mentioned above, but I have to admit that things are generally much better here since then.

    As you said groo, the 'ignore' (or ban) function can be used in different ways towards some member(s) we cannot tolerate and agree with at any time, so before being too stressed and possibly 'explode' with anger, this option should be seriously considered.

    On the MedPot.net Forums, we have some disputes on rare occasions because most members respect our board's terms and rules, but when it happens, I always tend to intervene in time with kindness and democracy..before it's too late to extinguish the fire and possibly lose some members.

    But I have to admit that we did lose some good members and moderators because of some fighting, but it didn't happen too often since our inception.

    One thing that a board owner, it's administrator(s) and moderators should NEVER tell their members is to go 'elsewhere' if they are not happy with some things on their board, because it's THEIR duty to do their best to make mostly everyone happy in their community.

    Marc


  23. #23
    Data Nazi Lightly_Toasted's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,669
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 538/2
    Given: 347/1
    Rep Power
    15


    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

    Default

    Treating Yourself is now currently running from my server. So far does not seem to be too much slower, but that will start to show with image uploads, etc.

    LT

  24. #24
    420grower
    Guest

    Default

    any help needed from members I am sure we'll work something out,peace and thanks much for all the help and your knowledge LT.

  25. #25
    Lightly Toasted Crazy_Eagle's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Vancouver Island
    Posts
    3,342
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 658/0
    Given: 667/1
    Rep Power
    19

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

    Default

    Ya I noticed today I went to hit the favorite button for TY and it redirected me to org instead on .com..
    Why drink and drive when you can smoke and fly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •