Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So what if

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 538/2
    Given: 347/1

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Default So what if

What would happen if TY was to disappear? Meaning the forum is hanging by a simple thread really. Would anyone support paying for a server to keep it up? I doubt many could afford to contribute on that scale. If I had the green light, I would fire my server back up and host it myself. But with my budget at this time, it wouldn't compare to what we have now. That is really the only donation I can afford to give our community.

I understand Marco is dealing with a lot right now, I really hope that his health does improve, nobody deserves to be sick. Hell, this site was started because people wanted to find alternatives to big pharma crap. That is why we are all here, right?

I would hope that most might sit back and think about the guy that funds this forum(keeps the light on so to speak) after reading this. Even if you don't like him, enjoy the fact that you are still on his forum to voice your opinion since nobody is banned unless you do not follow the rules.

Guess I am just rambling, but the day may come when Treating Yourself is gone. Sure there are plenty of other sites, but will there ever be another TY?

Food for thought. Goodnight

LT

Thumbs Up/Down
    Given: 315/0

Sorry to hear things are acting up for Marco (again.)

That's one thing that really sucks about medical cannabis sites -- everyone is sick. Some just hide it better than others.

The thing about forums is none of them last forever. They come, they go, much like the bazillion websites people start on their own without corporate backing. Sooner or later they get bored/tired of it, can't afford it, or even die with no one to take over.

It's always a loss, but it's life. Few things last forever. I'm pretty sure that by this time the number of websites I used to visit that are gone far outnumber the websites I still visit. It's certainly true of forums -- I'm down to three (here, MedPot.net, and SlashDot.org .) But one thing you do learn by outliving so many sites is that no matter how "important" they are to you, life goes on and you keep on trucking.

So I don't worry about when TY will be gone (and it *will* be gone someday); I just try to enjoy the time while it's here.

Much as I do with any friends or family in real life.

Because that's what TY is to me -- a collection of friends and associates. I care more about the *people* than I do the forums themselves.
    I do not fail -- I succeed at finding out what does not work.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 37/0
    Given: 6/1

How much would it cost? Marco started thus site for us the medicinal cannabis community and ill be damned if I let it go. I will do all I can to keep TT alive. Hell I've been here since 2003 yes been ups & Downs but still the no 1 site for medical information. On the other hand TY is not the same maybe time to pack it all in. I know how Marco feels I'm in a world of hurt and feel like just ending it all! Maybe I will?

Skunk-mad.
    This is ten percent luck, twenty percent skill
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will
    Five percent pleasure, fifty percent pain
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

Remember the name Fort Minor

http://www.classic-cannabis-seed-company.co.uk

COMING SOON!!!

http://www.classic-cannabis-company.co.uk/

Vegetative Member

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 15/0
    Given: 2/0

Tis a shame not alot to say.
    I take it the options are few and far between?!?!?!

Epic Genetics

i had hosting that was unlimited space and bandwidth for 7 bux a month , if a hosting company like that is willing to host a site with the content TY has then thats a route worth looking into, no need for a high server bill each month

there should be steps in place to keep marco's legacy alive when the unfortunate time comes

peace

Thumbs Up/Down

As far as I know, the big expense would be a copy of the board software.

Nowadays you can get unlimited hosting with PHP and MySQL services for anywhere from $20-50/month.

Epic Genetics

Quote Originally Posted by groo View Post
    As far as I know, the big expense would be a copy of the board software.

Nowadays you can get unlimited hosting with PHP and MySQL services for anywhere from $20-50/month.
    i paid 7 bux unlimited

the trouble is the content, lotta hosts wont do canna sites

Thumbs Up/Down

Marco's heath is not getting any better, I have spoke with him, his health is in decline so his intentions are to shut down TY Mag and Glass Culture. I did not get an answer about the fate of the forums. I'm sure if he was no longer responsible for the cost he would allow the transfer of the forums either with the TY name or without it. Again, I'm just going off what Marco told me, he didn't give me specifics.

The board software was purchased by donations from the members. So I doubt there would be a concern there. As far as a hosted service, most are not geared towards running Vbulletin. Vbulletin even says that they do not advise running it on a hosted (shared) server. Basically it causes conflicts with too many other sites using up resources that are needed to do the behind the curtain work. It may work for a small forum, but medium to large ones will start to see problems and downtime.

LT

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 266/0
    Given: 68/1

What would the cost be for a contracted period of time, with adequate system resources?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 213/0
    Given: 88/1

sorry to hear Marcos going downhill, I agree with grooster, I'd hate to lose touch with you guys, if/when TY does dissapear, maybe we could plan on keeping in touch somewhere else? alot of us go to medpot so maybe that could be a starting point?(he has chat too, except most ppl seem to chat very early )

Vegetative Member

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by lightly_toasted View Post

The board software was purchased by donations from the members. So I doubt there would be a concern there. As far as a hosted service, most are not geared towards running Vbulletin. Vbulletin even says that they do not advise running it on a hosted (shared) server. Basically it causes conflicts with too many other sites using up resources that are needed to do the behind the curtain work. It may work for a small forum, but medium to large ones will start to see problems and downtime.

LT

So it comes down to the people that helped to put TY on the map to keep it on the Map!
    If the advertising isn't going to support the magizines, is there the chance to bring back some to the website to help defray the overhead?

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by airedog View Post
    What would the cost be for a contracted period of time, with adequate system resources?
    I have just un-mothballed my old PowerEdge T100 server just in case of such emergency. Right now I will get it setup to get the email system back up and running here. It doesn't have the fastest connection in the world, but it would work in a pinch. But my business cable account can be upgraded to faster speeds with a little $$$ if needed.

I will try to do my best to keep our community going.

LT

Thumbs Up/Down

I don't think the traffic load would be that heavy if you set the .htaccess files to block web crawlers and bots. Too bad they won't give Shad access so he can do that. A lot of the "anonymous visitors" are just bots.

Vegetative Member

Thumbs Up/Down

Limits on file sizes and the like can only help reduce the bandwidth.
    I mean actually there is but a small fraction of the activity this site one saw with all of the freebies and the like that was part of the marketing to draw attention to TY early on.
    Tons of advertisers although there support was usually in the form of freebies to be given away.
    LT who has done so very much to keep this abandonded ship sailing through the fog shouldn't have to bear this burdon alone!

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think the traffic load would be that heavy if you set the .htaccess files to block web crawlers and bots. Too bad they won't give Shad access so he can do that. A lot of the "anonymous visitors" are just bots.
    That should be JOB #1
    No need to be in the top of the search engines. There can be a public area with nedded info and the rest of the site restricted to real registered users.
    Restricting the viewing of posts and pictures would help nudge those who wish to see that stuff to register.

Finally Resting In Peace medpot's Avatar

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 28/0
    Given: 5/0

Quote Originally Posted by T&G View Post
    sorry to hear Marcos going downhill, I agree with grooster, I'd hate to lose touch with you guys, if/when TY does dissapear, maybe we could plan on keeping in touch somewhere else? alot of us go to medpot so maybe that could be a starting point?(he has chat too, except most ppl seem to chat very early )
    Sorry to hear about Marco's condition, and I sincerely hope he will get much better soon.

It would be sad to see the TreatingYourself.com Forums go down, but if it happens, the MedPot.net Forums would be a good starting point indeed.

Unlike TY and most other cannabis related boards and lists on the internet, the MedPot.net Forums do not have ANY tracking cookie(s), and GoogleBot and other search engines cannot copy or take snapshots of our posts.

In fact, our server has a robots.txt file on it, so all automated bots are detected and blocked, and they cannot access our board - same if anything automated tries to register.

The MedPot.net Forums are almost ten years old, but they have always been more focused on cannabis and other drug news in Canada, U.S., the UK, Australia, other countries, and of course, the latest medical marijuana news.

However, we do have some seed and grower's sections, but they can only be viewed and used by our signed in members only..for security reasons.

As for our Chat, it can accommodate up to 20 signed in members at once.

I'm usually on our Chat at 6 am (eastern time) 7 days a week, but different groups of members can choose to chat at any time they wish..24-7.

Take care Marco, LT, Shadimar and everyone on TY!

Marc

Thumbs Up/Down

Neither Shad nor myself have access to the server. My access was taken away before I decided to take a step back, and "the server guy" is not responding to emails from either of us about access.

Quote Originally Posted by undereducated View Post
    Limits on file sizes and the like can only help reduce the bandwidth.
    I mean actually there is but a small fraction of the activity this site one saw with all of the freebies and the like that was part of the marketing to draw attention to TY early on.
    Tons of advertisers although there support was usually in the form of freebies to be given away.
    LT who has done so very much to keep this abandonded ship sailing through the fog shouldn't have to bear this burdon alone!

- - - Updated - - -

That should be JOB #1
    No need to be in the top of the search engines. There can be a public area with nedded info and the rest of the site restricted to real registered users.
    Restricting the viewing of posts and pictures would help nudge those who wish to see that stuff to register.
    When I began overhauling ty, bandwidth really wasn't a concern as Marco made a pretty good deal with someone for hosting a server.

LT

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by lightly_toasted View Post
    Neither Shad nor myself have access to the server. My access was taken away before I decided to take a step back, and "the server guy" is not responding to emails from either of us about access.
    Still?

It sounds like they've abandoned their post without passing on the captain's hat. Shame on them.

But yeah, robots.txt, .htaccess, whatever -- those server config file goodies that web admins know how to use.

However, it's a common misconception that robots.txt "blocks" access. It doesn't. It's a polite way of telling bots to go away, but a poorly coded bot can and will ignore the request and do it's dirty work regardless of what robots.txt says.

i.e. Robots.txt is like a sign that says "keep out" instead of setting up a vault door.

Thumbs Up/Down

Still?

It sounds like they've abandoned their post without passing on the captain's hat. Shame on them.

But yeah, robots.txt, .htaccess, whatever -- those server config file goodies that web admins know how to use.

However, it's a common misconception that robots.txt "blocks" access. It doesn't. It's a polite way of telling bots to go away, but a poorly coded bot can and will ignore the request and do it's dirty work regardless of what robots.txt says.

i.e. Robots.txt is like a sign that says "keep out" instead of setting up a vault door.
    Yeah, I never figured that one out, went to install a chat program I had purchased and to my surprise, my access was gone.

There is a robots.txt file that I had created, but with the way the guy that ran the server had things setup, it was useless.

LT

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 34/0
    Given: 0/0

If OVH ever gets Kimsufi servers at their CA datacenter $5 a month isn't bad for a dedicated server. Yeah its atom, but ehh.

Thumbs Up/Down

Well did talk with Marco a bit, he is unsure yet as to keeping the site up or not.

LT

Founder & Publisher of TY Marco Renda's Avatar

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 25/0

My IT guy is also a med patient and suffers from Epilepsy and hasn't been in the best of health himself lately. I will try and reach him again today. As of right now the only thing that is SHUT DOWN is the magazines. I am still trying to work things out for the web site and forums. It costs me close to $400 per month to keep my servers online. Sorry but I just don't have the energy to continue on.

Marco

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by Marco Renda View Post
    My IT guy is also a med patient and suffers from Epilepsy and hasn't been in the best of health himself lately. I will try and reach him again today. As of right now the only thing that is SHUT DOWN is the magazines. I am still trying to work things out for the web site and forums. It costs me close to $400 per month to keep my servers online. Sorry but I just don't have the energy to continue on.

Marco
    TY Magazine is no more?

That's a shame. But I do realize online media has pretty much killed print in all markets, so you had your work cut out for you trying to build such a business.

Founder & Publisher of TY Marco Renda's Avatar

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 25/0

Marco

Thumbs Up/Down

What if you was to bring back advertising to the forums to offset the cost of the server? Could do raffles for prizes that other members can donate (no seed, plants or meds of course). There are plenty of members here willing to help support TY!

LT

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 367/0
    Given: 254/0

I have enjoyed the web site since I found it over a year ago. I have greatly benefitted from my interaction with this community.

I had no issues at all sending a donation since I use this site all the time, and didn't want to see it go.

I know many are not wealthy and are on tight budgets but I encourage you all to send in a donation if you haven't yet, as I don't want to see this site go down either.

And I feel the same about MedPot.
    I wish it was bong time

I'm up to 15 strains, and lovin' it:

1. Black Diamond OG Kush
    2. Cannatonic
    3. Purple Kush
    . Hippie Headband (2 phenotypes but not sure what to label them)
    5. Skunk Berry (both Skunk and Blueberry phenotypes)
    6. LA Confidential
    7. OG Kush
    8. Rockstar
    9. OG Ghost Train x Haze #1
    10. Sunshine Daydream
    11. Temple
    12. Pure Kush X Uzbek Hash
    13. C99
    14. Purps
    15. Rockstar Kush

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast