Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast
    Seedling

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 206/0
    Given: 692/1

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by groo View Post
    I'm still learning to use the camera; haven't even *tried* the macro mode yet (one of the reasons I like this camera is it has every feature I could want, despite being the bottom of Nikon's line.

Excellent battery life, by the way. My old camera would have killed a set of batteries long before now, and mine are still almost fully charged.

Attachment 59120
    nice lil gal ther

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 538/2
    Given: 315/0

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by keepitmedicated View Post
    I just installed one of those 12 volt 7 inch computer fans, It does run quiet but dosent produce allot of force to do anything bud twitch my leaves. Works good enough to move my air around but Canadian tire has a small desktop fan onsale now for 12 bucks. Perfect for moving around them stems. Im gonna get me one tomorrow..K.I.M.
    Bummer. I had really hoped I'd be able to keep the door closed on the next cycle.

I guess I'll have to keep looking for an 18" squirrel cage oscillating fan as I have been. Stripped of the base and strapped to the side, a 30" version of one of those had done a bang up job of stem strengthening for me with my last garden, but those were much bigger cabinets so there was room for a 30 incher.
    I do not fail -- I succeed at finding out what does not work.

Seedling

Thumbs Up/Down

Bummer. I had really hoped I'd be able to keep the door closed on the next cycle.

I guess I'll have to keep looking for an 18" squirrel cage oscillating fan as I have been. Stripped of the base and strapped to the side, a 30" version of one of those had done a bang up job of stem strengthening for me with my last garden, but those were much bigger cabinets so there was room for a 30 incher.
    yah iv got a 30in fan and I took the front and back off it
    so it blows a nice breeze on low even .
    no rezistance works sweet

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,036/0
    Given: 1,031/0

I'm still learning to use the camera; haven't even *tried* the macro mode yet (one of the reasons I like this camera is it has every feature I could want, despite being the bottom of Nikon's line.

Excellent battery life, by the way. My old camera would have killed a set of batteries long before now, and mine are still almost fully charged.

Attachment 59120
    Hey groo
    That's pretty much the same camera I have and you're right. It's a great everyday camera. On mine the macro icon is on the thumb control, just hit it and experiment. You can play with settings to help eliminate the light waves from HPS etc. Good choice imho.
    A cheap tripod would be a good investment.
    N
    I fall upon the earth, and I am embraced. Water gives me life, and I spring forth into the light. My roots run deep into the earth, and I am nourished. With wind and water, light and earth, I conspire to ease your pain and heal your wounds, to bring you peace and calm your mind, to give you wisdom and truth of heart.
    I return to the earth and I am embraced.I am Cannabis
    Nohibition

Thumbs Up/Down

Hey Groo
    I bought a small 6" table fan that has the tilt type neck and a plastic base. I screwed it to the ceiling in my veg cab. It tilts and with one screw in the base I can turn it, $12.00 and I just put a few drops of 3 in 1 oil on the armature every 6 months or so. It's now 3 yrs old. It moves quite a bit of air. Your cabinet has a small footprint so you probably don't need to use an oscillating fan just adjust it for best effect.

On another note:
    We were tossing around the aeration thing a while back so I put 6 orphans in a 6 port tub with just a submersible water pump pointing up and creating a fountain. All six rooted and roots continued to grow. The problem I encountered was the heat generated by the pump which I hadn't considered previously until Jimmy at Prov asked about it. He was correct my water temp was about 10 degrees above recommended. I read I could offset this with H202 which brings us back to oxygen content...I pulled the water pump and put the air to them. I think in the end we are both right, they will grow without air stones but it would be far less than optimal for healthy growth. I also failed to consider that the plants in my aquariums were aquatic plants. I therefor concede to your greater wisdom my friend.

Peace

N
    I fall upon the earth, and I am embraced. Water gives me life, and I spring forth into the light. My roots run deep into the earth, and I am nourished. With wind and water, light and earth, I conspire to ease your pain and heal your wounds, to bring you peace and calm your mind, to give you wisdom and truth of heart.
    Nohibition

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 881/0
    Given: 470/1

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

You'll also find that the HID blinds effect does not show up in the pics when using a digital ballast, only the magnetic ones.

Another separate HPS suggestion is to use the white balance set to Incandescent as I've found this tends to match the warm glow rather well and produce natural looking plants.
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    Ceci n'est pas une signature du forum.
    Thank You for using S.h.a.d.i.m.a.r.: the world's most poorly coded chatbot.
    Substantially Humanlike Application Determined Insufficient Mediocre And Relatively annoying.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 84/0
    Given: 195/0

Quote Originally Posted by nohibition View Post
    I read I could offset this with H202 which brings us back to oxygen content...
    just keep in mind when the h2o2 is first used,the ph will be on the low end until it oxidizes back into pure neutral water,:ie;when i dilute the 35% to about 4%,the ph of the dilute will be around 4.1-2,but in a matter of hours the ph will rise after the free atom oxidizes/dissipates the h2o2 back into pure neutral water again,so you may want to check it the day after and readjust if you have to.

───────▄──█──▄────────
    ───────█─▐█▌─█────────
    ─────▀▄▐▌▐█▌▐▌▄▀──────
    ──────▀▄█▄█▄█▄▀───────
    ───────▄▄▀║▀▄▄────────
    ░░░░░░░░WE░ARE░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░░╦░╦╗╔╗╦╔╗╦╗░░░░░░
    ░░░░░║░╠░║╦║║║║║░░░░░░
    ░░░░░╩╝╩╝╚╝╩╚╝╝╚░░░░░░

Thumbs Up/Down

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140505-NL-Closeup.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	129.8 KB 
ID:	59169 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140505-NL-GroupShot.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	108.3 KB 
ID:	59170

I figured out how to get the camera into macro mode, but as Shad had warned, my hands are too shaky for macro shots without a tripod. Notice the ghosting -- the picture itself is properly focused, but my hands shook. I also experimented with using the macro mode to take the top shot, but as you can see it focused on the leaves in the foreground instead of the buds further back, so that's not a good mode for shooting.

Not quite 4 weeks in this shot -- Wednesday will be 4 weeks. But I was bored and playing with the camera, and thought I'd share early.

The buds are about 3 inches long now. I'm hoping they keep growing out to 4-5 inches before they start swelling instead of lengthening. NL is an 8-9 week strain, and it hasn't stopped lengthening just yet, so fingers crossed. (5 inch full fat buds end up weighing about 1/4 zip, so 4 of them would give me an ounce per plant yield -- which would mean I did as good in soil with my organic ferts as I used to in soilless hydro with AN, fancy additives, and HPS lighting. I'd *love* to be able to snicker and say a cheap CFL grow is just as good as all the fancy tools, toys, and money. Hell, I haven't even been pH'ing! )

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 539/2
    Given: 347/1

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Easy way to take macro shots without the worries of shakes is use something to steady yourself. Nobody can top @DoobieDucks; macros, But a little leaning post never hurts the shots.

Also back to the fan and scrubber discussion, how powerful is the smell? Ona gel with a fan would make short work of a couple plants.

LT

Thumbs Up/Down

It looks like it's coming along nicely.
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    Substantially Humanlike Application Determined Insufficient Mediocre And Relatively annoying.

Thumbs Up/Down

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Hey groo
    Buds are looking great, I have a NL in dwc 10 days in flower.

I have a coolpix L310 like yours. It looks more like focus rather than depth of field issue. There is a setting to compensate for shake some where in settings. You should see the vibrating hand icon when macro is on. You have a limited focal length in macro so try adjusting distance or adjusting zoom. I use my macro without my tripod all the time and it works OK.
    You can also shoot through a magnifying glass or loop. (2 hands shaking lol)

Very nice plants bro

N
    Nohibition

Thumbs Up/Down

Hey groo
    This a hand held macro. Lense is almost touching screen. You have to wait until it focus' and keep the shutter button partially depressed.

Name:	Macro.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	59171

N
    Nohibition

Flowering Member keepitmedicated's Avatar

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 946/2
    Given: 2,110/4

Hey groo them flowers look pretty nice so far. Thick stems will make thick cola's. What are you using for flowering nutrients? You are using some Mollasses with your watering right? It does help a lot with resin production and the thickness of the flowers. You are gonna like how they flower under the cfl's. Like LT said try using some ona gel to rid the apartment of stink if that becomes a threat to security. Northern Lights is a pretty low key stinker is what I have read about it. Keep up the great work your almost on the final lap..K.I.M.
    HARMONY..
    When we lose the right to be different
    We lose the privilage to be free
    Nelson Mandela

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 213/0
    Given: 88/1

very nice groo

Thumbs Up/Down

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!

There. I think I've got the macro shots down now. I figured out how to use the timer as Shad had suggested, and stacked a couple of boxes to rest the camera on to hold it steady for the shot. So no shake from the hands at all -- this pic came out nice and clear.

Of course the leaves are kind of in the way of seeing much detail of the pistils themselves, but the point was more to learn how to use the camera than to take a spectacular bud shot.

Tomorrow is the end of week 4.

Name:	20140506-NL-BudShot.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	138.2 KB 
ID:	59177

I do have molasses, but I hadn't planned on adding them to the water until around the end of week 5 or so -- whenever the buds stop lengthening and start fattening instead. I'm nervous about interfering with growth until they've stretched out as long as they're going to, seeing as I'm just feeding them some "Green Earth" organic tomato food dissolved in the water once a week (a couple or three tablespoons per gallon -- basically what's left in the bucket after using the water all week.) They also get some epsom salts (a couple of tablespoons) with that feeding.

Nothing fancy, but it seems to be keeping the lady happy, so good enough for me.

And cheap: a quart box of the organic ferts is well under $10 at Canadian Tire. Best of all, they're mild enough that even when dissolved I haven't experienced any "nute burn". I was a little worried about that the first time I dissolved some in water.

Note that because it's organic, some of the nutrient components tend to settle, so you need to stir the bucket vigorously before scooping any for the actual feeding. And because those undissolved components don't make their way down to the roots, it's a far from ideal nutrient system. But it's working for me.

Not that I'd even *think* of trying this "system" with something that is feeding-sensitive like a Blueberry.

Flowering Member keepitmedicated's Avatar

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 946/2
    Given: 2,110/4

I like how thick your stems are, That should be a sign of big flowers to come hopefully. Its lookin like it is happy at the moment so keep doin what your doin. End of week four eh they should start to fatten up now and stink more. Hows the crystal coverage so far? is it covered with trichromes yet?.
    HARMONY..
    When we lose the right to be different
    We lose the privilage to be free
    Nelson Mandela

Thumbs Up/Down

There are virtually no trichs yet, but I did some reading last night and apparently trich development occurs later in flowering after peak fertility is winding down, in an effort to preserve the flower's parts. So within a week or so I'm hoping to see some trich development -- basically around the same time that they should be filling out instead of elongating.

Thursday they'll be getting another feeding, and probably again next week, but after that I'll let them live on nutrients stored in the soil. Week 7 I'll start flushing, as it's an 8-9 week strain, and I'd rather sacrifice a little size than have nuty meds.

After this next feeding, I'm going to start adding the molasses to the water as they should be starting to fill out some time over the next week or so, and I've been told that molasses helps them put on density and weight. I originally was just going to use it during flushing, but I can't see it *hurting* to use it earlier so I will. The only reason I'm postponing it a little longer is I don't want the sugars to interfere with nutrient uptake during the lengthening phase of flowering -- I want maximum length from my buds.

Rumour has it that NL tends to produce fat colas, so maybe even if I end up with shorter buds (say, 4 inches instead of 5), I might still end up yielding close to an ounce out of the four sites. Time will tell.

I don't have a scale right now, so I won't know the actual to-the-jars weight unless I buy one next month. Now that I've got the new bank account which supports interac payments and transfers, I might look into ordering a scale online. Nothing fancy or big, just a 100th gram scale in the 50-100g maximum range, seeing as I'd rather have the accuracy than big capacity. (Alas, I traded my last scale for a couple of grams. I really regret doing that, because it was a gift from a friend who passed on. But I did so before he passed, and was going to have him order another for me when he took ill and died within 2 weeks of diagnosis for liver cancer. Ah well, life is full of regrets. One must move on... I do have other memorabilia of him, a grinder and a couple of neat little stash tins/cylinders/etc.)

Seedling

Thumbs Up/Down

file:///C:/Users/owner/Pictures/Feb14phonepics/10-1D27A918-471156-960.jpg
    heres a mirco of mine black berry kush x blood orange x mau mau
    sorry my bad it dident work

Thumbs Up/Down

After you select the file, you have to click "upload". It's a two step process.

Thumbs Up/Down

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Rumour has it that NL tends to produce fat colas, so maybe even if I end up with shorter buds (say, 4 inches instead of 5), I might still end up yielding close to an ounce out of the four sites. Time will tell.
    Hey Groo here's some shots of my last NL (peak) to give you an idea. Just GH 3 part, sunmix and limited knowledge

Name:	DSCN0587.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	156.7 KB 
ID:	59178Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0539.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	161.5 KB 
ID:	59179Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0541.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	142.8 KB 
ID:	59180Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0554.jpg 
Size:	214.7 KB 
ID:	59181
    Nohibition

Seedling

Thumbs Up/Down

Name:	10-1D27A918-471156-960.jpg 
Size:	13.4 KB 
ID:	59182

Seedling

Thumbs Up/Down

Name:	11-7D218E96-100939-960.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	31.0 KB 
ID:	59183 macro shot of Jackie o grown outdoors in CO

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 539/2
    Given: 347/1

Love how everyone just started posting their pics... This is @groo's thread correct?

LT

Thumbs Up/Down

Sorry grew, a pictures worth a thousand words...

N
    Nohibition

Thumbs Up/Down

We're not trying to win the Northern Lights nugs at the end?

*quietly unplugs camera from USB port*
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast