Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 538/2
    Given: 315/0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Default Will all strains show sex if vegged long enough?

I know that some plants will show sex if vegged for 4 weeks plus, but I'm not sure whether all strains do so. Does anyone know whether all strains will show sex if vegged long enough? And if so, how long is enough?

The reason I'm asking is I'm planning to grow in a very small cabinet from seed without using Moms. So if I can do something like plant in 6" pots, I can fit 16 in the cabinet, let them grow long enough to show, turf the males, and transplant the females to larger pots before kicking over to 12/12.

No, I'm not a new grower, but neither do I know everything. The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
    I do not fail -- I succeed at finding out what does not work.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 881/0
    Given: 470/1

Yes, they'll show preflowers at the nodes when sexually mature. Start looking at 6-8 weeks.

It will happen quicker with larger , more visible, preflowers if they get transplanted up regularly and not kept rootound in a small container, but they'll show in that situation as well.

I suggest starting the seeds in 16oz styrofoam cups and then transplanting into one gallon pots.
    Last edited by Shadimar; 08-24-2013 at 03:51 PM.
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    Ceci n'est pas une signature du forum.
    Thank You for using S.h.a.d.i.m.a.r.: the world's most poorly coded chatbot.
    Substantially Humanlike Application Determined Insufficient Mediocre And Relatively annoying.

Thumbs Up/Down

Hmm. I can start in solo cups and transplant to the 6" pots, but my goal is to have 9 x 8" pots of females going into flower, so I couldn't do the one gallon transplant before turfing the males. It's only going to be a 24"x24" floor space, though at 4 feet high I should have plenty of headroom. And as I'm only going to be growing indicas, height shouldn't be a problem. I just don't want to stress them by letting them get rootbound.

I suppose I could target 4 plants with 12" pots instead of 9 with 8" pots, but I was hoping for the extra productivity of a SOG-style grow. Plus with CFLs, you want to keep plants low and small due to the poor light penetration of CFLs.
    Last edited by Shadimar; 08-24-2013 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Merged Posts

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 881/0
    Given: 470/1

Don't wait to sex them before transplanting, it only slows them down, and really it's best not to start seeds in a large container.
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    Ceci n'est pas une signature du forum.
    Thank You for using S.h.a.d.i.m.a.r.: the world's most poorly coded chatbot.
    Substantially Humanlike Application Determined Insufficient Mediocre And Relatively annoying.

Thumbs Up/Down

Shad, I only have room for 9 x 8" pots. So unless they're sexed before transplanting to those pots, there is no point to starting more than 9 sprouted beans.

But I can't see growing a plant for 6-8 weeks in a six inch pot -- I know how fast these sum-bitches grow.

On another note, I'm really hoping the sale at Canadian Tire is on all week -- six packs of 23W 2700K CFLs for $15. That's half the price of the best price I've found to date. However, I still haven't found any place that beats the daylight 6500K 23W veg lights at Home Hardware -- 3 packs for $16.

*grumble* My legs are tired. I did a lot of walking and price checking today. I'm going to *have* to pick up my pots and soil components this month, and hopefully the sale bulbs at CT. They're already starting to pull down the summer gardening displays, and aren't planning on bringing in any more 8" pots so I'll have to pay 75% more for them at Wally World instead of Canuck Rubber.
    Last edited by groo; 08-24-2013 at 05:59 PM.

420grower

simple answer Groo,veg 30 days,start in 1 gallon,12/12 at 30,by day 10 or 14 you'll be culling boys,peace brother
    but you can always just do the auto deal,with the small pots it would make good sense,

Thumbs Up/Down

Personally I'm not a fan of autoflowering strains -- I'd played with them ten years ago or so, and found the ruderalis in them made for waxy weak meds that put off a powerful cloud but had little effect on the migraines (or recreational side-effects, for that matter.)

But, yeah, I was thinking about 4 weeks veg should get them about as high as I'll want for my cabinet. And I do believe I'll be putting the popped beans into the 8" pots straight off, seeing as it doesn't sound like I'll be able to sex them early (8 inchers are about 3/4 gallon, I think. Not sure.) The main reason for starting in smaller pots would have been to save on space, and if I were going soilless, to save on nutes. But with soil there really is no advantage to starting in too small a pot. You *want* your roots to have time to spread throughout the pot with soil.

Now if I were in a *real* grow and planning to shift to 5 gallon pots, then the 6-8 week veg time to get them to show would be perfectly acceptable.

But this is going to be a Mickey-Mouse hope-it-keeps-me-supplied little grow.

Still, if I can crop out 0.5 oz per plant and get say 6/9 females, that would produce about an ounce a month per cycle. That's not enough for me to *prevent* migraines, but it is enough to *treat* the bad ones as long as I don't use the stuff unless I *need* it. And if I shift to fem'd seeds as I plan to in the future, that would boost it to about 4.5 ounces per cycle, or 1.5 ounces per month. A gram and a half a day just *might* be enough to trigger the prophylactic effect I'd noted when I last grew and smoked on a regular basis.

It's also worth noting that the Hindu-Kush and Afghani genetics I plan on focusing on with this garden are *far* more effective for migraines than the Mazar and Skywalker I'd been growing 10 years ago. I've tried a *lot* of strains over the years, and I think I've really got the genetics dialed in that work best for me nowadays. Kush, kush, and more kush.

And harvested late enough to be 10-15% dark, 60-70% amber, and the remainder cloudy, save for the occasional rare clear trich.

Hmm. That reminds me. I was supposed to go surfing to try to find hand-held microscopes, because the store I'd last bought one at here in town no longer stocks them. I need to check their website -- the parent company may still have them, in which case I can order one and have it shipped to the local store for pickup.

Thumbs Up/Down

Off topic, but you gotta love eBay. I just ordered a pocket microscope for under $3 CDN from China, shipping included. I don't know how people make money off this stuff in China. I couldn't *ship* the thing snail mail in Canada for that price!

Flowering Member keepitmedicated's Avatar

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 946/2
    Given: 2,110/4

4 ft of head space is plenty especially if your going to use a net before you start to flower them. I have 3 - 31/2 ft and with the net and with at least 5 weeks veg I get almost an ounce per plant. Not too shabby for CFL's and the buds are tight not airy at all I must add.
    HARMONY..
    When we lose the right to be different
    We lose the privilage to be free
    Nelson Mandela

Thumbs Up/Down

Question: Do you veg under 24/0 or 16/8? I used to veg under 16/8 because I was trying to minimize growth due to a lack of headroom with a 7-8 week veg cycle while a cycle of flowering was going, but with the new set up I'm planning to veg 24/0 because I want them to grow as fast as possible. Just trying to make sure we're on the same page when you talk about 5 weeks veg.

BTW, no I do not plan on using nets. I've tried net grows in the past, and while SCROG can be quite effective, I found the hassle of not being able to move the plants was more trouble than the yield difference was worth, so I'm planning on SOG style smaller plants without topping them to encourage branching. 9 nice fat colas is my ideal goal per cycle in the future.

Epic Genetics

Quote Originally Posted by groo View Post
    Personally I'm not a fan of autoflowering strains -- I'd played with them ten years ago or so, and found the ruderalis in them made for waxy weak meds that put off a powerful cloud but had little effect on the migraines (or recreational side-effects, for that matter.)

But, yeah, I was thinking about 4 weeks veg should get them about as high as I'll want for my cabinet. And I do believe I'll be putting the popped beans into the 8" pots straight off, seeing as it doesn't sound like I'll be able to sex them early (8 inchers are about 3/4 gallon, I think. Not sure.) The main reason for starting in smaller pots would have been to save on space, and if I were going soilless, to save on nutes. But with soil there really is no advantage to starting in too small a pot. You *want* your roots to have time to spread throughout the pot with soil.

Now if I were in a *real* grow and planning to shift to 5 gallon pots, then the 6-8 week veg time to get them to show would be perfectly acceptable.

But this is going to be a Mickey-Mouse hope-it-keeps-me-supplied little grow.

Still, if I can crop out 0.5 oz per plant and get say 6/9 females, that would produce about an ounce a month per cycle. That's not enough for me to *prevent* migraines, but it is enough to *treat* the bad ones as long as I don't use the stuff unless I *need* it. And if I shift to fem'd seeds as I plan to in the future, that would boost it to about 4.5 ounces per cycle, or 1.5 ounces per month. A gram and a half a day just *might* be enough to trigger the prophylactic effect I'd noted when I last grew and smoked on a regular basis.

It's also worth noting that the Hindu-Kush and Afghani genetics I plan on focusing on with this garden are *far* more effective for migraines than the Mazar and Skywalker I'd been growing 10 years ago. I've tried a *lot* of strains over the years, and I think I've really got the genetics dialed in that work best for me nowadays. Kush, kush, and more kush.

And harvested late enough to be 10-15% dark, 60-70% amber, and the remainder cloudy, save for the occasional rare clear trich.

Hmm. That reminds me. I was supposed to go surfing to try to find hand-held microscopes, because the store I'd last bought one at here in town no longer stocks them. I need to check their website -- the parent company may still have them, in which case I can order one and have it shipped to the local store for pickup.
    i could hook you up with auto og kush fems , however the seeded female had some deaply burried late nanners so i havent grown or shared any of the seeds to date (my plan was to toss them), its hard to find true og that doesnt throw late nanners, it is a bag seed (hermie) strain to start with, i doubt you would end up with seeded bud, maybe the odd seed here n there at the worst

i know you said you didnt like autos from 10 years ago but trust me they have come a long LONG way, all would be girls (no wasted time/space with males) and i could send enough for you to grow for the next 6 months - a year

to give an example of how autos have come a long way, ive got a strain/cross i made that the wife wont smoke, she has been smoking for a lot of years and when she tried some of this she said "if i had to chose between being that high/stoned and never smoking ever again i would chose never smoking again" , ive also got people in their 60's who been smoking their entire life and they have all loved it, some said its the best smoke they have had and all they will grow/smoke now, however im limited to breeding stock of it, could possibly share a couple/few seeds of it, but im not sure its the right stuff for your med needs

anyway, the offer is there, up to you

Thumbs Up/Down

I appreciate the offer, Epic, but I think I'll pass.

Truth is I spent last night thinking about my breeding plans and such, and as long as even *some* of the beans I have pop, I'm going to have more than enough to keep me busy for quite some time.

Epic Genetics

Quote Originally Posted by groo View Post
    I appreciate the offer, Epic, but I think I'll pass.

Truth is I spent last night thinking about my breeding plans and such, and as long as even *some* of the beans I have pop, I'm going to have more than enough to keep me busy for quite some time.
    cool, good luck with everything