Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Male and Female

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 179/1
    Given: 151/0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Default Male and Female

when does a plant decide its going to be male or female from seed? or growing conditions..just courious because i have heard from a friend more bushy plant usually female tall and lanky probly male ..any1
    Life is too valuable, easy does it..

420grower

Conditions certainly come into consideration,But my studies in college were on genetic splicing and trying to get self pollination.Males seem to dominate mainly because of self preservation,Carvers studies in bean were similar.But I have seen planty of lanky ass females due to high(as in light too high) or low light situations where stretching was necessary to find light,high heat,list goes on,hope that helps brother,you had meds in flower,how are your meds coming?,peace brother

Thumbs Up/Down

thanks my friend..been haveing extremly high heat in the lone star state so that may be the reason for so tall and lanky..looking...plants in flower are fatteing up nicely.not long till harvest would throw up some pics but you know how it goes just wasteing my time doing that,lol..wish more would post pics and better response but guess every1 is busy with there summer grows..i totally understand..hope things are well with you brother thanks for responding..love ya peace..

Vegetative Member

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 15/0
    Given: 2/0

genetics is probably the biggest factor next to enviornment. Certian strain respond quickly to photoperiod changes. Others may take a week or so longer or evan more!
    Then you have the photoperiod that is ever changing. Couple that with a lower in the sky autum sun. All add to the mix in one way or another.
    When you have this all mastered be sure to get back with me as that info would be worth more than gold lol!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 881/0
    Given: 470/1

genetics is probably the biggest factor
    Ding ding ding!

Someone mail that main a cigar, we've got a winner!
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    Ceci n'est pas une signature du forum.
    Thank You for using S.h.a.d.i.m.a.r.: the world's most poorly coded chatbot.
    Substantially Humanlike Application Determined Insufficient Mediocre And Relatively annoying.

420grower

if by genetics you mean genus yes!Certainly cannabis sativa will tend to out lank during the veg period,but if your not an outdoor grower and have never watched this plant through a full annual cycle,and don't fight with heat in your indoor grow,you probably have never even seen a full blown vegetive cycle,lol,most of you see stretching during early weeks of flowering,So don't light that cigar just yet lol,Your comment is correct for the outdoor grower for sure,all strains that reach veg cycle and high heat is present lank will also be present,high shade can cause lank also for just the opposite reason,and this will happen regardless of genus,sativa or indica.I love my outdoor grows,and will be posting mine soon,you learn from mother nature and take her secrets indoors,peace

Thumbs Up/Down

The question was gender.

6-8 weeks from germination they'll show preflowers unless abused.

An interesting note: there are several subspecies of cannabis but only one species. Had humans not interfered the Cannabis Genus could have branched of into multiple Species over the next several hundred thousand to handful of million years..

But we stopped that and got in the driver's seat.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	femalepreflowers.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	54049   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	male.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	54050  
    Last edited by Shadimar; 06-16-2013 at 03:48 PM.
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    Substantially Humanlike Application Determined Insufficient Mediocre And Relatively annoying.

Vegetative Member

Thumbs Up/Down

The hairs make it obvious however the males can be very convincing they are female ( who doesn't hope ) when in fact they are a wolf in sheeps' clothing.
    You watch em and discern traits you are thinking are great for breeding and ignore the tell tale signs a)taller b)faster c)bushier ect ect
    just seen 3 step up to the plate and say hey I wanna be a proud poppa come on let me let me! :Like a HORNEY TEENAGER

Thumbs Up/Down

Further notes: The males looks like a crab's claw with one leaf curling up past the other and sometimes having leaves behind it like you're getting another branch whereas the females look more like a raindrop and the pistil quickly gets much, much longer than the flower itself.

Once the male flowers/preflowers get older they're obvious balls hanging downs that will eventually open up into yellow flowers containing those nanners you may have seen before individually on plants at the end of flower. If breeding, one of the traits you'd want to look for in the mail would be a good population of trichomes on the male's stamens. If still left in the garden, these banana bunches will release the yellow clouds that will spawn the beans in your bud.
    Last edited by Shadimar; 06-16-2013 at 04:33 PM.
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 96/0
    Given: 76/3

Hey Jam . Glad your still at it lol . Been my experience that the males are usually the best looking plants in the patch until the balls start hangin . That's the one I watch the most , the prettiest ones in the bunch ,just like birds and everything in nature the. Males of the species are more vigorous and colorful making males stand out . It seems that way to me anyway .good luck on the harvest . Oj

Thumbs Up/Down

thanks every1 for responding..i set out 4 of each strain in hopes for atleast 2 females out of each strain..i usually veg indoors and sex before setting out but didnt have the space to do that got 2 plants flowering at the moment..and didnt want to veg under 14 hours of dark sence the days are longer now just my weard thinking i usually veg my plants that im going to stick outside under 24 hours of lite than set the timer and see what i got..anyway love yall peace ill post some pics later on down the road ..

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0
    Given: 0/0

True. Couple of months ago someone gave me a pack of 5 beans from Gage Green Genetics - Grape Stomper - unfortunately only one of them was viable enough to make it out of the nursery. I must have missed the preflowers on it because I let it veg for weeks while I took cutting after cutting... Finally flipped it into flower, looked at it 4 days later... friggin balls everywhere! So many it looked like a decorated christmas tree. How disappointing. All those clones into the trash as well. Argh!

Quote Originally Posted by undereducated View Post
    The hairs make it obvious however the males can be very convincing they are female ( who doesn't hope ) when in fact they are a wolf in sheeps' clothing.
    You watch em and discern traits you are thinking are great for breeding and ignore the tell tale signs a)taller b)faster c)bushier ect ect
    just seen 3 step up to the plate and say hey I wanna be a proud poppa come on let me let me! :Like a HORNEY TEENAGER
    "To continue outlawing the use of a drug shown to have life-saving, anti-cancer benefits, that has been used safely as a medication for thousands of years, is irresponsible."

Vegetative Member

Thumbs Up/Down

evan a skilled eye can be confused when they put their want in front of the reality, from a newer growers prospective it would easy to mis judge a male for a female till their balls drop and start pushing their weight around.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 94/1
    Given: 8/0

Shit,,, after sixweeks,, if there hold'n out n,, don't show,, and I wana kno,,,
    I just hold up the High Times calander fom last year,,,,, in front of suspected males,,,,
    them boys,,, show up,,, quick like then,,,, Oh,,,Ya,,,, hehee

Thumbs Up/Down

Lmao
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 8/0
    Given: 0/0

Quote Originally Posted by jam View Post
    when does a plant decide its going to be male or female from seed? or growing conditions..just courious because i have heard from a friend more bushy plant usually female tall and lanky probly male ..any1
    As has been said, it's mainly genetics that govern sex although the environment does play an important part as plants can actually change sex in some instances in which the hormones Andrase and Gynase play a major part. ( ref: Hemp Husbandry by Robert A Nelson )

Thumbs Up/Down

i really appreciate every1 responding to my thread im thinking now i understand a little more ,,thanks yall peace and happy harvesting

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 94/1
    Given: 8/0

well if its worth anything Jam man,,,
    I started 10 Peaks Sweet skunk first week of april,,
    I really abused them,,, got real hot in there,,, dry,,, ec.
    I got 3 females of the ten.
    I also started 11 more on the first of may,,,, baby'd them like a new born,,,
    feed'n them just a lil grow and micro,,, 300ppm's tops
    I got 6 females on the second run,,, so far,,,
    now,,,I recieve these packets of seeds from Peaks,,,
    about 2 years ago this fall,,,, maybe it was just luck,,,, r,,, evidence,,,,, mby,,,, hehee

Thumbs Up/Down

so what im understanding.. is growing conditions has alot to do with it..also read somewhere that if a seed is started in shallow container more chance of female any truth behind that? peace every1 and thanks again for all the responces

Thumbs Up/Down

Nope, genes do.

I may have been the one who posted the container reference Jam, it had to do with a Russian hemp study that reported highest female rates with a 6" initial planting container. Results have not been verified independently to my knowledge.
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 564/0
    Given: 1,294/1

if i top my seedlings will it make more males because of stress?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 211/0
    Given: 1/0

Absolutely not.
    Currently hording the following elite genetics;

Grape Escape x Afghani Kush, Iranian Land Race x Pre-98 Bubba Kush, Florida Skunk Ape x Purple Kush, Green Crack BX, Grape Escape x Green Crack.
    Tranquil Elephantizer, Blue Dream Lotus, Orange SunShine.
    OG Ghost Train haze #1.
    Blue Cheese.
    MK Ultra, The Hog, Wreckage.
    Nevilles Haze, Critical Mass, SSH, Black Widow, Shark Shock, Medicine Man, G13 Widow, Ortega, Angels Breath.
    Petrolia Head Stash, Willie Nelson, Golden Temple Kush.

Thumbs Up/Down

I second that.
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 211/0
    Given: 1/0

Seeds are born male or female, they can potentially become hermie, yes, sorta like Jurassic park frog dna. that's the extent of it. That is only my opinion and it is probably formed from some research but I don't recall any of it.
    When I have novice growers over, they frequently inspect my seedlings and seed plants and tell them to grow up into sexy ladies. I usually interject and point out that I only want them to focus on growing and not on their gender, and they will turn out whatever gender they were programmed for.
    Just my 2 cents Canadian.
    Currently hording the following elite genetics;

Grape Escape x Afghani Kush, Iranian Land Race x Pre-98 Bubba Kush, Florida Skunk Ape x Purple Kush, Green Crack BX, Grape Escape x Green Crack.
    Tranquil Elephantizer, Blue Dream Lotus, Orange SunShine.
    OG Ghost Train haze #1.
    Blue Cheese.
    MK Ultra, The Hog, Wreckage.
    Nevilles Haze, Critical Mass, SSH, Black Widow, Shark Shock, Medicine Man, G13 Widow, Ortega, Angels Breath.
    Petrolia Head Stash, Willie Nelson, Golden Temple Kush.

Thumbs Up/Down

The "frog DNA" bit was rather silly but I guess Crichton wasn't aware of any parthenogenesis among ducks.
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast