Thread: skunk

Vegetative Member

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 15/0
    Given: 2/0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Default skunk

how old do they have to be before they can spray?
    Turns out what I though was a skunk living under my shed was a mother and she or they???? had 3 tiny baby skunks barley any white on em other than their heads right now. was about to goto the garage and was stopped in my tracks when i seen these tiny babies out in the yard eating ants?!?!?!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 271/0
    Given: 68/1

They'll dig in your yard for grubs or beetles. Knowing they are there, be alert and you should be able to co-exist; spraying is a last resort as they have a limited supply. Here in the 'burbs, even with my 2 terriers, skunks have ambled away, as long as we didn't threaten them. On the up side, you have a valid explanation for any skunky aromas .

On a related note, you can get bottles of neutraliser, from vets and pet shops. There are also recipes online; tomato juice just masks the odor. In 11 years out here, we have yet to need to use our supply (knocking on wood).

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 94/1
    Given: 8/0

only takes once man,,, Oh,,, ya,,,, their people in this world that have smelled a skunk,,,,,
    and theirs people that have smelled like a skunk,,,,, only once,,,,, you'll run the other way,,,, after that,,,,, promice,,,,

Just figure out where they'r going under,,, spray a lil tabasco n water mixed,,
    , all the way around the shed,,,spray double where they'r going in,,,
    they'll be moved over ta yer neighbor's like,,, quick,,,,, heee

R

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 884/0
    Given: 474/1

I used to keep my Salvia on my front porch for the morning sun and I'd water her with fish and kelp.

The skunk that lived under the bush across the street liked fish and could smell the fishy water that seeped through the sally pot under my porch.. that's how I ended up with a skunk under my porch.
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    Ceci n'est pas une signature du forum.
    Thank You for using S.h.a.d.i.m.a.r.: the world's most poorly coded chatbot.
    Substantially Humanlike Application Determined Insufficient Mediocre And Relatively annoying.

Vegetative Member

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by airedog View Post
    They'll dig in your yard for grubs or beetles. Knowing they are there, be alert and you should be able to co-exist; spraying is a last resort as they have a limited supply. Here in the 'burbs, even with my 2 terriers, skunks have ambled away, as long as we didn't threaten them. On the up side, you have a valid explanation for any skunky aromas .

On a related note, you can get bottles of neutraliser, from vets and pet shops. There are also recipes online; tomato juice just masks the odor. In 11 years out here, we have yet to need to use our supply (knocking on wood).

I had noticed the spots in the yard where they were digging for bugs.
    Today these babies seemed unphased by me in the yard with them, don't think they were able to see real well. My cat on the other hand has known and takes every chance to get out. He is too big to get into their hole so he camps out but they must be smart enough to avoid him.

Everyone I have talked to have had a kill first ask questions later, now that I know she is a mom we will have to learn to respect each others boundries, there will be no killing here, not to mention discharging a firearm in city limits is illegal.

We had tried to trap in a live trap last summer but only managed to catch a stray cat.

I have joked that we have a great cover story for any smell. The neighbors on both side are aware of the skunk so having them around does manage to explain any smelly odors.

Thumbs Up/Down

They can only see about 3 meters in front of their eyes.
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    Substantially Humanlike Application Determined Insufficient Mediocre And Relatively annoying.

Vegetative Member

Thumbs Up/Down

They were not very nimble so I'd say it was one of their first ventures out of the den. Two were inseprerable , and the other seems to venture out on his own and he seemed to have more dexterity and confidence canvasing the yard.
    For a second I thought that I could catch em in a towel if they weren't able to spray, but decided it wasn't worth the risk!
    On one hand I'd like to relocate them to a rural setting, however the cover story for any errand smells seems priceless in the bigger scheme of things!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 271/0
    Given: 68/1

If you trap them for release elsewhere, check on wildlife regulations for your area. Where I live, some animals such as raccoons, have to be released within a kilometer of the trap site. Apparently it has to do with not spreading communicable diseases such as rabies.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 213/0
    Given: 88/1

racoons will be back in the morning if taken 1 km away. My neighbours didn't believe me, they had a family of coons in their attic, made a big mess, they took em for a 20 min car ride and guess what, yup they were back the next night. If they are a problem best to take em swimming.

Thumbs Up/Down

What if you blindfold them and turn them around three times first?

Ot does that only work with pin the tail on the guy who showed up to the party last?
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪

Thumbs Up/Down

LOL Nope,unless you.... never mind, my buddy had a pet coon when we were kids and once it got big it tore his house apart, his mom made him get rid of it so he took it to a farm 10 miles away, on the other side of the river and he was home in 2 days.
    Moth balls help deter skunks from hanging around, atleast they would move on.... to your neigbours yard

Vegetative Member

Thumbs Up/Down

well 2 of the baby skunks have taken to sunning themselves in the backyard for most of the daylight hours. My other half isn't as pleased with their presence as she comes and goes during the night time hours and has her scared to death she walks up the back of the neighbor's yard to get close enuf to the back door and makes a B line. She has run up on the adult more than once now but hasn't been seen sence the appearance of the tiny ones.
    I walk a few feet away from them, but you can tell they don't have their dexterity just yet.
    They have holes on each side of the shed so i wonder if I can block in the one near the walkway and keep em somewhat at bay that way.
    Can't wait to hear from the neighbors on both sides as they have had to seen the babies by now, yesterday the adventerous on was all the way at the back door of the one and she had laundry out on the line drying. I bet she got one hell of a shock if she seen em, her eyesight is poor so maybee she didn't see em afterall.

Vegetative Member

Thumbs Up/Down

They are able to spray basically right away so no towel routine lol.

Thumbs Up/Down

So was this knowledge gained from experience?
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪

Vegetative Member

Thumbs Up/Down

nah lots of reading up on the subject, every day they get bolder and bolder. one was at the back door in a flower pot when the other half left for work.
    we are wondering if the mother left them or was unable to return. they are supposed to be night creatures. these guys seem to be out mostly during the heat of the day in the yard. They hear well but still think their site is still being developed.

Thumbs Up/Down

Whew.

I would think they couldn't spray yet but I really don't know.

If you DO get sprayed, don't bother with tomatoes, use hydrogen peroxide to oxidize the thiols.
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪

Thumbs Up/Down

I read somewhere that they cant spray until a month old, but man you gotta be some animal lover not to be doing something about them, I'd deal with them while you can, its just a matter of time before someone gets sprayed

Thumbs Up/Down

Better make friends with 'em soon...
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪

Thumbs Up/Down

ya, as in...say hello to my little friend!