Thread: soil...

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 564/0
    Given: 1,294/1

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Default soil...

i ben useing foxfarm ocean forest with a simple bat guano tea with ok results. but been thanking about some (subcool)super soil or something like it water only soil. has any 1made up a batch and how did u like it?

Vegetative Member

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 15/0
    Given: 2/0

I used to make my own, greensand, castings the wholw 9 yards.
    I have been using the Happy Frog from Fox Farms.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 212/0
    Given: 1/0

I have 3 soil piles going, excluding my 2 composters and my worm bin.
    What do you want to know?
    Do I like it? Yes, if properly made, it energizes the medium and provides maximum micro diversity.
    Tips: do your homework, and use local materials. ie manure and rock phosphate, leaf litter, local tree barks.

final note: As much as we push microbes and bacteria, fungus is the main movement beneath the soil. The best, BEST way to stimulate fungal growth is with a fish emulsion (preferably a cold hydrolate).
    When given a decent emulsion coupled with molasses it is not uncommon to see a pile heat up in the span of 30-60 minutes.

regards,
    Currently hording the following elite genetics;

Grape Escape x Afghani Kush, Iranian Land Race x Pre-98 Bubba Kush, Florida Skunk Ape x Purple Kush, Green Crack BX, Grape Escape x Green Crack.
    Tranquil Elephantizer, Blue Dream Lotus, Orange SunShine.
    OG Ghost Train haze #1.
    Blue Cheese.
    MK Ultra, The Hog, Wreckage.
    Nevilles Haze, Critical Mass, SSH, Black Widow, Shark Shock, Medicine Man, G13 Widow, Ortega, Angels Breath.
    Petrolia Head Stash, Willie Nelson, Golden Temple Kush.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 884/0
    Given: 475/1

On the topic of using local resources, I'm building topsoil for an outside garden, it's just sand under a thin layer of moss and grass.

So a few days ago I chopped down a tree with a garden hoe.

As you can imagine, once a tree is in a state that in can actually be cut down with a tool never meant for felling a tree it's also going to shatter on impact, and what's left can be hacked up like unusually tough styrofoam.

So right above the sand and thin organic layer of current topsoil I now have a layer of sponge-like semi-decayed wood that will act as a large nurse log - feeding and holding water for the plants that will go into the peat layer above.

As that breaks down, it will turn into carbon-rich topsoil and release heat to slightly extend the growing season into autumn chills by keeping the roots warm.

Total cost: time and effort spent in the forest that makes up my back yard.
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    Ceci n'est pas une signature du forum.
    Thank You for using S.h.a.d.i.m.a.r.: the world's most poorly coded chatbot.
    Substantially Humanlike Application Determined Insufficient Mediocre And Relatively annoying.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 212/0

That's the sort of sound decision making that we should all be so lucky to have.
    Currently hording the following elite genetics;

Grape Escape x Afghani Kush, Iranian Land Race x Pre-98 Bubba Kush, Florida Skunk Ape x Purple Kush, Green Crack BX, Grape Escape x Green Crack.
    Tranquil Elephantizer, Blue Dream Lotus, Orange SunShine.
    OG Ghost Train haze #1.
    Blue Cheese.
    MK Ultra, The Hog, Wreckage.
    Nevilles Haze, Critical Mass, SSH, Black Widow, Shark Shock, Medicine Man, G13 Widow, Ortega, Angels Breath.
    Petrolia Head Stash, Willie Nelson, Golden Temple Kush.

Thumbs Up/Down

Thanks, MT

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugelku...C3.BCgelkultur

I was already going to blend carbon into the subsoil, but then while reading up on no-till gardening I found this idea and chose to go in the same direction.

Cardboard can also be used if you don't happen to have any dead & soggy trees handy.
    Last edited by Shadimar; 05-31-2013 at 11:55 AM.
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    Substantially Humanlike Application Determined Insufficient Mediocre And Relatively annoying.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

Enjoy! So nice to have an outdoor project where Mother Nature will help too. Always great to have a partner doing some work.

Don't under estimate throwing in buckets of peat, compost, manure, etc. worms will find it & help break it down.
    Hippy dippy organic grower

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 35/0
    Given: 62/0

Read the one straw revolution folks
    "The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops, but the cultivation and perfection of human beings."

-Masanobu Fukuoka -

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 94/1
    Given: 8/0

so,,,, shit in a carboard box,,,
    piss in a paper cup,,,,
    add saw dust,,, mix well together in the garden,,,,,

got it,,, hehee

Thumbs Up/Down

That's exactly it, except you don't want to use raw human fecal matter simply because it carries bacteria and potential parasites specifically carried by humans, that of other animals is generally fine, I might avoid swine though.
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪

Thumbs Up/Down

sounds like i need to get a composter or worm bin i just been by soil bags and they can cost lol i want to step up my organic game maybe composting a place to start and learn from
    “The legalization of marijuana is not a dangerous experiment – the prohibition is the experiment, and it has failed dramatically, with millions of victims all around the world.”
    Sebastian Marincolo

Thumbs Up/Down

Peat recycles easily.

I rotate through mine, leaving it in totes to sit damp for a few months before another shot of organics and re-use.

Cannapost takes place in 10gal totes where stem, trim, males and rootballs go with some peat to keep it all damp.
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪

Vegetative Member

Thumbs Up/Down

pregnet horse urea is the bomb with the added hormones.
    I avoid unprocessed manure inside.
    next I want to try and feed a rawer manure mix to the worms.
    It'll have to wait till I am able to split my bin, I am hopping the canna compost makes their reproduction good.
    The local grocery throws a ton of organic matter away from the produce dept.
    They pay to dispose of it. Would love to be able to get some dunnage crates and populate them and ramp up production.
    The guy I bought my red wigglers from has a warehouse and does something similar.

Thumbs Up/Down

i got some chickens can i doing any thing chicken crap or is it to hot
    “The legalization of marijuana is not a dangerous experiment – the prohibition is the experiment, and it has failed dramatically, with millions of victims all around the world.”
    Sebastian Marincolo

Vegetative Member

Thumbs Up/Down

chicken manure is V E R Y hot and will burn the hell outa of your plants evan when composted.
    I am going tomorrow to see about a pasture that was used as a dump site for a lamb feed lot waste. Several dump truck loads a day couple 3 acres of a serpantine mound.
    I was there a decade ago and the centers of the heaps 15 foot high and 25 foot wide mounds were just getting soft and airey.
    In the middle of winter digging to the center had tons of steam. This is a secret stash I hope is still there.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 6/0

I've had a worm bin for awhile now, and it works amazing. The cool thing about worm composting is it doesn't smell at all, and provides you with a rich black soil that nothing else compares to. When made fresh especially it's loaded with beneficial microbes and other good stuff. I use my castings in
    a compost tea that's been brewing for a couple days with added molasses.
    The main food I give those red wigglers is banana peels(they gobble them up fast) along with other kitchen scraps so I'm thinking that my castings would be good for the flowering period.
    At the TY expo I ran into a booth that was talking about fly larvae. I guess it's a faster process then worm castings, and the flies eventually hatch and fly away leaving you with clean compost. I don't know though, the thought of putting fly compost on my plants doesn't really appeal to me.. lol.

Vegetative Member

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by chillum View Post
    At the TY expo I ran into a booth that was talking about fly larvae. I guess it's a faster process then worm castings, and the flies eventually hatch and fly away leaving you with clean compost. I don't know though, the thought of putting fly compost on my plants doesn't really appeal to me.. lol.
    Are you talking about maggots? Y U C K they wierd me out, Pink Floyd Flashbacks from the Wall!

Also if you compost materials that are in flower the resulting castings will be supercharged for flowering.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0
    Given: 0/0

ive recently reworked my instant organic mix and so far super impressed with it over the old tried and true FF blends-

I now use sunshine #4 advanced and roots organics green lite-
    that green lite is the bomb preblend-
    way better then any FF in my opinion-
    Big Sky
    Sour Seed Co.