Zygote

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Default Fabric pots VS Regular pots

Hello all, so theres a few different brands of fabric pots out thee Smart pots, Geo pots, Yeild Pots.. Etc

Was wondering if anyone has tried them out and compared them to plastic pots?

Cheers!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/0

I've been using smart pots for a couple of years now. They work fine and store way easier than plastic or other and the roots look pretty nice. You don't get that swirling root bound look when you're trying to go big with smaller pots. Results wise... like maybe the same as using a gallon larger plastic pot would be a good equivalent for yield. I like them anyway. --r

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 564/0
    Given: 1,294/1

so can you grow bigger plants with less soil with smart pots? like 3gal smart pot same as 5gal plastic pot

Thumbs Up/Down

I typically run the 3 gallon size and pull 4 and change normally... some more, rarely less depending on strain. That's in a coco/perlite mix top watered. Usually for plastic and even these I figure an ounce of yield for every gallon of root space and consider the overage as just a bonus. It also depends on the style you grow... a five gallon bucket piped for aero can grow a monstrous plant and blow ounce per gallon out the window. These are just cheap, convenient, and good low tech functionality when it comes to use.

Thumbs Up/Down

how long do u veg?

Thumbs Up/Down

varies, typically a month once there are decent roots established. I've been using canna coco or botanicare nute's lately, depending on what I have around and what's easily available... and how much of a hurry I'm in. Canna coco is way fast... oh, and a 600 watt hps hung vertically for lighting.
    Last edited by rxb; 06-06-2013 at 12:06 AM. Reason: remembered something

Thumbs Up/Down

i got some 5 gallon smart pots am going to use for flowering and was thanking about getting some for veg should i get 1 gal or 2 gal to start clones/seedling.

Thumbs Up/Down

Clones and seedlings??? That's pretty early to worrying about using that much medium to possibly just piss away for my liking personally. I'd use 20 oz kegger cups with a drainage hole until they establish themselves a bit and I have a better idea of what I'm dealing with. Then it's as much a matter of space and veg time as to what size you want to use as intermediates as anything. If I have the space, I'm a big fan of going straight from kegger cups to final pots. You have to flush a tick more but no extra transplant shock risk, more root space to get comfortable in while they veg, grower can be lazy and still get good results... just a personal preference is all. Bear in mind this is for plants that will get chopped. You're not going to do this with expectations of a bonsai mother to keep for years. FWIW, --r

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 881/0
    Given: 470/1

I have to advise against starting in a large container as well.

You want to keep a wet/dry cycle to force the plant to establish a root system and that is very difficult in a large container. What you get instead is a soggy pot in some spots and a dry cracked pot in other spots.

I use 16oz styrofoam cups because I find that they're easier to both poke drainage holes with a paperclip or pencil and also they're easier to cleanly transplant from than the plastic cups due to the foam vs plastic: the styrofoam cups remain rigid and pop out the plant whereas the base of the plastic cups would cave in on me when I would press the base of the rootball during transplanting.
    Last edited by Shadimar; 07-27-2013 at 05:36 AM.
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    Ceci n'est pas une signature du forum.
    Thank You for using S.h.a.d.i.m.a.r.: the world's most poorly coded chatbot.
    Substantially Humanlike Application Determined Insufficient Mediocre And Relatively annoying.

Thumbs Up/Down

thanks guys thats proble why my ns got overwater damage.... my be i do something like this veg seedling/clones for 2 weeks in a cup then transplant them in to 2gal smart pot veg 4 weeks then transplant them in to 5 gal smart pots veg 1 or 2 more weeks then bud them

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 881/0
    Given: 470/1

You might want to scale that timing back a bit.

Start in cups, go to 1gal if you have them otherwise then go to the 2s if thats the next smallest size but it they won't be ready in only two weeks unless they happen to grow quickly.

You want them to fill up the root zone before you transplant, especially with those extra space-efficient smart pots.

By all means, use the 5 gallon pots though if you plant to have bushes.
    Last edited by Shadimar; 07-27-2013 at 05:46 AM.
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    Ceci n'est pas une signature du forum.
    Thank You for using S.h.a.d.i.m.a.r.: the world's most poorly coded chatbot.
    Substantially Humanlike Application Determined Insufficient Mediocre And Relatively annoying.

Vegetative Member

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 15/0
    Given: 2/0

I am wondering how long the fabric will hold up to repeated usages. The roots will grow through the fabric if the area is kept moist enough like direct ground contact.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 50/0
    Given: 5/0

Quote Originally Posted by undereducated View Post
    I am wondering how long the fabric will hold up to repeated usages. The roots will grow through the fabric if the area is kept moist enough like direct ground contact.
    It depends on the brand brother. I personally like the Aurora brand. However there's a major issue with transplanting. My fabric pot is always my finishing pot.

420grower

I am going to try the smart pots this time,with coco as always,Skunk has had great success with them,peace

Vegetative Member

Thumbs Up/Down

The retail on these fabric pots is quite high! but what isn't when related.
    The big fault I find in the fabric pots thus far is the larger the size relates to a larger round container rather than deeper.
    after the 3 gallon size the depth difference is little.
    I started to design and make my own, costing of the materials proved why the price was so high.
    Still have a few yards of materials and still want to make my own that are twice as deep as the one on the market.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 94/1
    Given: 8/0

I seen one guy that grew outa them sopping bags that ya can buy,,,
    and reuse,, again,, and ,,, again,,,,
    seems like they are close to the same material,,, and cheap,,,,
    and got handles toboot,,,

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 37/0
    Given: 6/1

Quote Originally Posted by 420grower View Post
    I am going to try the smart pots this time,with coco as always,Skunk has had great success with them,peace
    The one's I use are called "air-pots" made out of food grade plastic with a domed bottom. I've gone back to regular 11l pots now using soil bit when I was using them I could use 6l air-pots so half the medium and still pull in the same yeild.

I would advise against potting directly into big pots from the start, small cups first, then uptown something bigger for veg then transplant about a week before you go to bloom into your biggest pot.

Yes I know I used to go from rapid rooter to 6l air-pots but I was rocking hydro! With clay as my medium. That's why I went directly into my finishing pots bit hard transplant from clay.

Best of luck as said you'll get better rootzones with no roots spiraling.

Skunk-mad.
    This is ten percent luck, twenty percent skill
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will
    Five percent pleasure, fifty percent pain
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

Remember the name Fort Minor

http://www.classic-cannabis-seed-company.co.uk

COMING SOON!!!

http://www.classic-cannabis-company.co.uk/

Vegetative Member

Thumbs Up/Down

I am liking the expierence with
    Oxygen pot systems.

Also curious how well their setup would do with other medias other than Hydro corn/ton