Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 881/0
    Given: 470/1

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Default Curing Techniques

Below is a short guide to properly dry and cure your bud for best quality. If you have another method that works well for you, feel free to post it here. If it already exists in its own thread then feel free to either repost here if it is short, or link to the thread if it is long or if you want the discussion intact.

1)No water for a few days before harvest.

1a)Some like to leave the plants in the dark for a few days to a week, I don't always do it, sometimes I do but it's often more of a space issue. This last time I found some growth that had taken place which means the plant managed to drain sugars and will burn smoother

2) Strip off the fan leaves by hand by pulling down against the stem so that they snap off at the base. They pull off easily this way. Next they get trimmed with scissors, the amount of leaf I leave on has varied from virtually pure flowers to buds enveloped in resin encrusted trimmed budleaf.

3) The entire, whole plants, hang in the dark at around 65F for about a week in drier weather, up to two weeks during humid summer stretches. The outer leaves will feel dry and comparatively hard, but not brittle yet, and the stems will have had time to bleed water to the outer areas so you can avoid powdery dry bud that retains a damp center in favour of uniformly dry bud.

4) Curing FAQs all say to wait until the stems snap to place them into jars. However I find that by this point the flowers are too dry and have lost flavour. I'm a firm believer that there are volatile oils that stay with the plant for just a short time while drying and heat and time will both remove them. As a result I often trim nugs off still-drying plants to smoke slightly damp bud as it has oils that will be gone or altered soon.

5) When the inner bud stems are still a bit flexible but no longer wet, the buds are carefully trimmed off the plant into mason jars (I have a recent preference for pint jars) and filled up near the top, leaving an air gap of around an inch. If the bud were more on the damp side then I'll fill the jar a little less and settle the bud with the jar on its side so that a greater surface area has air contact within the jar.

6) If dry, the bud won't need venting for a bit but if still a bit damp, as you wait for proper curing, the next day the bud will have remoistened the exterior and you'll want to leave the cap off until they feel firm again. Check the next day and you'll be able to forget about them entirely once they stop feeling damp again.
    Last edited by Shadimar; 03-12-2013 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Fixed Typos
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    Ceci n'est pas une signature du forum.
    Thank You for using S.h.a.d.i.m.a.r.: the world's most poorly coded chatbot.
    Substantially Humanlike Application Determined Insufficient Mediocre And Relatively annoying.

Thumbs Up/Down

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Here's a curing how-to by DJ Short.

I don't agree with the paper bag stage as I hang my bud to dry. Laying it down damages the resin glands and leaves hash everywhere

I certainly do agree with SLOW and dark though. Let the chlorophyll break down, let the complex carbs and starch turn into simple sweet sugars that let the plant matter burn cooler.

You've taken it thus far, no point screwing it up now

Cure Your Medicine by DJ Short posted by northernwymon.
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    Substantially Humanlike Application Determined Insufficient Mediocre And Relatively annoying.

Thumbs Up/Down

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Default Water Curing

Water curing leaches out any water solubles such as excess nutrients, sugars, and some of the scents and flavours produced by the plant as well.

It can be a rather quick way to cure then dry, opposite of what many of us do when we dry and then cure. It does change the smoke though, so I wouldn't do the whole harvest and of course it must be dried immediately as it is soaked and mold spores are always in the air.

Two Water Cure Methods posted by organic in ottawa

Water Cure Method and Discussion Thread posted by salmayo
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪