Seedling

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2/0
    Given: 0/0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Default list of organic ingrediants...help me make a soil mix please..

i have promix,chicken manure,worm castings,lime,blood meal,bone meal,kelp meal,cottonseed meal,epsom salts and trace elements...i have lots!

i plan on making 50-70 gallon smart pots filled with organic soilmix,id prefer it if i didnt have to feed til flowering begins and that they have enough organic food in the mix to last 2 months
    once flowering commences ill feed with earth juice organic nutrients..

do you think you guys could help build me a good soil mix with the ingredients i have listed?maybe in proper ratios?i could really use the help...im legal for 10 outdoor plants this year and want to do it right....

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 7/0
    Given: 3/0

10-22-2012
    Quote Originally Posted by h.truman View Post
    i have used the following recipe with much success:except i use 6 cups each of blood/bone meal instead of 8/4,and i let sit for 3 weeks,turning twice a week.its an 8 week no feed just water mixture,no ph buffering,no flushing flowering plants with organic teas,its sooo easy,i do feed flowering plantswith organic teas ,but never in veg,and the plants are always very haelthy.its simple,cheap and effective low maintanance soil

1 Bale sunshine mix #2 or promix (3.8 cu ft)
    8 cups Bone Meal - phosphorus source
    4 cups Blood Meal - nitrogen source
    1 1/3 cups Epsom salts - magnesium source
    3-4 cups dolomite lime -calcium source & pH buffering
    1 tsp fritted trace elements
    4 cups kelp meal.
    9kg (25 lbs) bag pure worm castings

- Mix thoroughly, moisten, and let sit 1-2 weeks before use.
    Just add some chicken manure and cottonseed meal to the recipe above... less is more
    oio

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 211/0
    Given: 1/0

Hey I was just doing up a big batch of soil and I could add a few tips here, albeit late, but it's spring now, so that's w hen most people I know turn over or start a compost cycle.
    First of all, you need to be prepared to have the soil sit with (some) air movement for atleast a month. It has to be able to retain moisture or be replenished.

Bentonite: add it. Also known as Montmorillite Clay. The KEY ingredient in Greensand and Azomite and many other products ($5.00 I think for 2KG). bentonite is negative charge CEC AND has huge water retention capacities.
    Grab some Glacial Rock Dust or Soft Rock Phosphate (these are also very cheap, i got 2kgs of softrock phosphate for 2.00 at a nursery and 50lbs of rockdust for 18.00 at a hydro store)
    I would skip the Dolemitic Lime. Reason: EWC are covered in earthworm mucous, containing the best source of CA for your plants. Secondly, bonemeal contains very high CA (usually around 22%). Enough Magnesium Sulphate will be sufficient to provide your SO and your MG needs.

Now, this is the real portion of significance, because this doesn't really come with a comprehensive (hands on) manual, you mainly get theory that you have to apply.

Mix all of your ingredients together, spend atleast 20 minutes turning over the soil. You will need sugars, you can add them however you want, cheapest is the unsulphured blackstrap from bulkbarn. I dilute mine at 50/50 and use a spray bottle to saturate the medium while I'm turning it over.

The next step is to have your compost tea solution (prepared in advance) and saturate the medium further. Let it cook for atleast a month, the first week there should be some significant heat generation, which will decrease each week. I suggest turning over the pile if it becomes warm to the touch, just personal preference on my part. You don't want it too hot, the beneficials function best when kept in "the zone".

Lastly, there's no way to get around using fish emulsion for fungal growth. Nothing is better food for fungis. Get it into your soil now, rather than when your soil gets inside your home.

Good luck sir!

p.s. be careful when using bloodmeals, alot of people take issue with them as a fert/amendment.
    Last edited by MidnightToker; 04-10-2013 at 09:21 AM.
    Currently hording the following elite genetics;

Grape Escape x Afghani Kush, Iranian Land Race x Pre-98 Bubba Kush, Florida Skunk Ape x Purple Kush, Green Crack BX, Grape Escape x Green Crack.
    Tranquil Elephantizer, Blue Dream Lotus, Orange SunShine.
    OG Ghost Train haze #1.
    Blue Cheese.
    MK Ultra, The Hog, Wreckage.
    Nevilles Haze, Critical Mass, SSH, Black Widow, Shark Shock, Medicine Man, G13 Widow, Ortega, Angels Breath.
    Petrolia Head Stash, Willie Nelson, Golden Temple Kush.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 564/0
    Given: 1,294/1

can u replace bone and blood meal with bat guano N and P? will thay work the same if so im going to cook up some soil

Thumbs Up/Down

I'd never replace steamed bonemeal from my soil. As long as it is steamed first.
    Bloodmeal I don't work with.
    Bat Guano tends to be really tricky stuff to use. Although I do enjoy it as a tea, my best results have come from topdressing and watering it down.
    When I mix bat guano into my soil, it seems to inhibit, or slow down, root growth. Just my personal experience. (Malaysian, Indonesian, Mexican, and Jamaican tested to-date).
    Whereas, when top dressed and watered, I seem to get results within a couple hours (as evidenced by the curvature of the leaves and the standing position of the plants).

If you do one thing, and one thing only, get the right microbes into your soil, and feed with a fish fert (ideally hydrolate and not emlusion) and well as liquid (not powdered) molasses. This will ferment your pile, whatever you do put in it.
    Good luck and post some pics.

cheers,

Grape Escape x Afghani Kush, Iranian Land Race x Pre-98 Bubba Kush, Florida Skunk Ape x Purple Kush, Green Crack BX, Grape Escape x Green Crack.
    OG Ghost Train haze #1.
    Blue Cheese.
    Nevilles Haze, Critical Mass, SSH, Black Widow, Shark Shock, Medicine Man, G13 Widow, Ortega, Angels Breath.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 564/0
    Given: 1,294/1

thx man im going to cook up some soil soon to test it out i got some liquid molasses but need to get some fish fert. when useing them do i just mix it in molasses & fish fert ones or every few days as soil cooks?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 881/0
    Given: 470/1

I've burned plants with blood when mixed in fresh but they seemed fine when I mixed at least two weeks ahead of time and let it cook before potting up. So now I generally add blood just to compost as a nitrogen source to get the microbes going strong.

Get an organic mix inoculated with bacteria and fungi spores, they'll break down the organics, adjust the pH and move nutrients and water to the plant roots in exchange for sugar.
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    Ceci n'est pas une signature du forum.
    Thank You for using S.h.a.d.i.m.a.r.: the world's most poorly coded chatbot.
    Substantially Humanlike Application Determined Insufficient Mediocre And Relatively annoying.

Thumbs Up/Down

One dosage should be enough to get the compost moist. Once the temperature rises, which will be noticeable to the touch, you want to let it 'cook'. But know this, doing small scale operations consisting of 1 or 2 bales of promix as a starter won't be a problem, but if you start making compost piles the size of small mountains, they can ignite. I'll usually spread out the soil on a tarp and then water it evenly with the molasses/fish fert, and anything else I don't already have in the soil. I let it sit in the shade for a couple weeks and while it is still moist/damp I move it into a ventilated storage tote.
    As Shadimar suggests, you will want to find a viable source of bacteria and fungi, especially if using a sterile medium. Any kind of manure can be useful, and you can use the manure to compost other materials such as soft rock phosphate. Worm castings pretty much contain everything you need to get started, which you already are using fresh ventilated castings I hope. The cottonseed meal has between a 6 or 10 N ratio, I forget, that should be a substantial boost, you also should have kelp and other things. As I always state time and again, simply composting green leaves will give you sugar and nitrogen (assuming you aren't juicing them).

OG Ghost Train haze #1.
    Blue Cheese.