Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 84/0
    Given: 194/0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Default does anyone PH during the final flush?and is it necessary?

I have been using citric acid to ph plain water only at the start @5.5 for the final 10-14 days of the flush cycle for the last few years,I'm not sure if it was the particular strains that i have been using or if it really does anything to sweeten the flavor and enhance the bouquet or not? to me it seems to,does anyone else here do anything similar?
    I'm just looking at other methods,ideas at this time around and what other ways may work that other growers may use, though i am still more than several weeks away before i begin to harvest myself.on other forums other respected and seasoned growers say it isn't necessary,while others do ph the flush because they think it helps the plants consume any remaining nutrients and release toxins and waste more thoroughly,I am not sure one way or the other,but i think that i originally got the idea from an old Ed Rosenthal book that I've read too many years ago to remember

thanks
    PV

───────▄──█──▄────────
    ───────█─▐█▌─█────────
    ─────▀▄▐▌▐█▌▐▌▄▀──────
    ──────▀▄█▄█▄█▄▀───────
    ───────▄▄▀║▀▄▄────────
    ░░░░░░░░WE░ARE░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░░╦░╦╗╔╗╦╔╗╦╗░░░░░░
    ░░░░░║░╠░║╦║║║║║░░░░░░
    ░░░░░╩╝╩╝╚╝╩╚╝╝╚░░░░░░

Rednamalas

PH in flush the sudden change in ph will stress them out and fuck them up while hardening.If your gonna ph all the way dont stop till your done.

Quote Originally Posted by pit viper View Post
    I have been using citric acid to ph plain water only at the start @5.5 for the final 10-14 days of the flush cycle for the last few years,I'm not sure if it was the particular strains that i have been using or if it really does anything to sweeten the flavor and enhance the bouquet or not? to me it seems to,does anyone else here do anything similar?
    I'm just looking at other methods,ideas at this time around and what other ways may work that other growers may use, though i am still more than several weeks away before i begin to harvest myself.on other forums other respected and seasoned growers say it isn't necessary,while others do ph the flush because they think it helps the plants consume any remaining nutrients and release toxins and waste more thoroughly,I am not sure one way or the other,but i think that i originally got the idea from an old Ed Rosenthal book that I've read too many years ago to remember

thanks
    PV

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 65/0
    Given: 136/1

I run my plants in pro mix and I flush a couple of weeks prior to harvest. I will run 5-7 gallons fresh cold water through the pot over 15-20 mins and the last gallon get ph'd, no point ph'ing the first 5-6 gallons as it just washes right through the grow medium IMO. The final gallon get's ph'd water and some molasses. From there on in it's ph'd water and molasses only till I chop. Works well for my grow.
    Help me stop DSS delicate soul syndrome. We need volunteers to hug and hold all the delicate souls until we can heal them. Help us today! You can make a difference in someone's life. Tell them the truth.

Rednamalas

do you get a weird taste from molasses??? never heard of people using molasses.My buddy was using coconut milk and I thought that was bizarre

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_In_Pain View Post
    I run my plants in pro mix and I flush a couple of weeks prior to harvest. I will run 5-7 gallons fresh cold water through the pot over 15-20 mins and the last gallon get ph'd, no point ph'ing the first 5-6 gallons as it just washes right through the grow medium IMO. The final gallon get's ph'd water and some molasses. From there on in it's ph'd water and molasses only till I chop. Works well for my grow.

Vegetative Member

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 4/0
    Given: 1/0

Molasses good.

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by Rednamalas View Post
    do you get a weird taste from molasses??? never heard of people using molasses.My buddy was using coconut milk and I thought that was bizarre
    I have used it since the begining and my bud has the nicest flavours imo and a few others that commented along the way. Thought you were an old skool grower never heard of 3 LB? But then again I have never heard anyone using coconut milk before so you never know it all as the saying goes.
    Help me stop DSS delicate soul syndrome. We need volunteers to hug and hold all the delicate souls until we can heal them. Help us today! You can make a difference in someone's life. Tell them the truth.

Rednamalas

LOL no shit.One thing ive learned over the years is unless your head is to large you can always learn something for others.I dunno if I would rush out and try these but if it works it works lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_In_Pain View Post
    I have used it since the begining and my bud has the nicest flavours imo and a few others that commented along the way. Thought you were an old skool grower never heard of 3 LB? But then again I have never heard anyone using coconut milk before so you never know it all as the saying goes.

Thumbs Up/Down

LOL no shit.One thing ive learned over the years is unless your head is to large you can always learn something for others.I dunno if I would rush out and try these but if it works it works lol.
    LOL There are hundreds or more ways to grow this plant. And along the way I have tried some interesting things I have my own version of a torture chamber for plants and I subject them to atrocities just to see what they will do sometimes. This is one tough plant I will tell you that.

Last one I did read about somewhere was giving them Gatorade in flower. But someone somewhere will swear it works for them so I say great glad it works.

420grower

I also use raw sugar,anything to add those carbs,lol,peace all,and I agree,I learn so much from just reading and seeing others grows,peace all

Thumbs Up/Down

PH in flush the sudden change in ph will stress them out and fuck them up while hardening.If your gonna ph all the way dont stop till your done.
    that also was my sense on the matter,and why i use a food based product during final flush as opposed to what i use with chemical nutes normally(sulphuric acid),i do change out the reservoir after the first week with another fresh tank of ph'd water,i think the longest I've ever gone was 18 days only because i liked the coloration,one thing i did notice too since i started adjusting the flush was the leaves would change into those fall like colors that the organic growers would produce during their flush,as opposed to what i was getting before while using plain water,IE:when using plain un adjusted flush,the foliage would acquire a bleached appearance,then the leaves would wither and get dry & crumbly like they had a nutrient burn,while using ph'd flush the leaves kept their shape,get a nice reddish golden slightly blackened look with a leathery feel to them,and would detach themselves from the branch with the slightest touch.
    this was one of the better threads that i found on the subject,its short and did not escalate into a flaming trolling escapade.

http://forum.grasscity.com/hydroponi...l#post14327931

───────▄──█──▄────────
    ───────█─▐█▌─█────────
    ─────▀▄▐▌▐█▌▐▌▄▀──────
    ──────▀▄█▄█▄█▄▀───────
    ───────▄▄▀║▀▄▄────────
    ░░░░░░░░WE░ARE░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░░╦░╦╗╔╗╦╔╗╦╗░░░░░░
    ░░░░░║░╠░║╦║║║║║░░░░░░
    ░░░░░╩╝╩╝╚╝╩╚╝╝╚░░░░░░

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 881/0
    Given: 470/1

Quote Originally Posted by pit viper View Post
    its short and did not escalate into a flaming trolling escapade.
    Hark! 'Tis blasphemy to utter such preposterous rhetoric!

err, I mean, cool
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    Ceci n'est pas une signature du forum.
    Thank You for using S.h.a.d.i.m.a.r.: the world's most poorly coded chatbot.
    Substantially Humanlike Application Determined Insufficient Mediocre And Relatively annoying.

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by Shadimar View Post
    Hark! 'Tis blasphemy to utter such preposterous rhetoric!

err, I mean, cool
    you can only imagine how many threads that i saw on this very subject that triggered some very emotional,petulant, antagonistic,and downright mean an insulting personally offensive replies amongst fellow forum members towards one another,quite the drama sometimes just for asking for an opinion...but morbidly entertaining an humorous at the same time...

───────▄──█──▄────────
    ───────█─▐█▌─█────────
    ─────▀▄▐▌▐█▌▐▌▄▀──────
    ──────▀▄█▄█▄█▄▀───────
    ───────▄▄▀║▀▄▄────────
    ░░░░░░░░WE░ARE░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░░╦░╦╗╔╗╦╔╗╦╗░░░░░░
    ░░░░░║░╠░║╦║║║║║░░░░░░
    ░░░░░╩╝╩╝╚╝╩╚╝╝╚░░░░░░

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0
    Given: 0/0

I'm with PH,ing the water on final flush as well. Start to finish. I also use molasses in my res. for the last two weeks , but week five I swear by using Beast 666 , from memory I think it was 4 oz of beast into 75 gal of PH water. ( chemo fucks up your memory) I don't have my notes with me.
    Just tried air pots, some with Pro mix and some with straight peat moss sofar superior.
    "a rising tide lifts ALL boats" jfk.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 266/0
    Given: 68/1

What's everyone growing in; soil; soiless mix; coco; hydroton? It would seem that to a certain extent, how you grow will dictate how you flush.To my way of thinking, for a Recirculating Deep Water Culture system, adjusting pH is going to put chemicals into your plants when you want to remove them, and, possibly impart a bad taste. I use a flushing agent specific to the nutes I use, followed by a day or two of R/O water (until I'm getting about 60 ppm on my meter). Prior to flush I generally use one or more supplements that add carbs or boost taste.

Still trying to come up with a recipe that does not cause pH problems in flower though as RDWC and supplements gives you bad bugs as well as beneficial ones.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 211/0
    Given: 1/0

I understand where you are coming from airedog in wanting to know what medium people are using in regards to how they flush, however, you should already be using RO and or RODI water or worst case scenario distilled water. Flush with pure water medium regardless.

Your problem is that you want to grow organic but either haven't realized it or think it's too much work.
    Now that we have established that, come grow some juicy girls on the organic side of things. I can feed my plants and harvest them within 4 days and take them to my butane honey oil guy and he tells me that my meds produce the cleanest oil that he has seen. This guy has tubes that do half pounds and he's never out of work in my area. My smoke is always super resinous and slow to cure, the ash is always white and the plant matter isn't harsh. Of course all of this is going to lead into some discussion about how much i love my living soil and how much it rewards my thoughtfulness. and now I'm a nutjob.

anyways good luck sir, no offense intended.
    Last edited by MidnightToker; 09-04-2012 at 03:31 PM.
    Currently hording the following elite genetics;

Grape Escape x Afghani Kush, Iranian Land Race x Pre-98 Bubba Kush, Florida Skunk Ape x Purple Kush, Green Crack BX, Grape Escape x Green Crack.
    Tranquil Elephantizer, Blue Dream Lotus, Orange SunShine.
    OG Ghost Train haze #1.
    Blue Cheese.
    MK Ultra, The Hog, Wreckage.
    Nevilles Haze, Critical Mass, SSH, Black Widow, Shark Shock, Medicine Man, G13 Widow, Ortega, Angels Breath.
    Petrolia Head Stash, Willie Nelson, Golden Temple Kush.

Thumbs Up/Down

I also grow organic and go by the philosophy of "Flush what? " as I have no salt buildup to worry about
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    Substantially Humanlike Application Determined Insufficient Mediocre And Relatively annoying.

Thumbs Up/Down

How often do you have to change out your media?

Thumbs Up/Down

I'm not sure if you meant that for me or MT but what I do is cycle my mix, at this point a given particle of soil finds itself in an active grow slightly faster than once a year. The off time is spent in a storage tote, having been blended from various pots after harvest and hit with organics then left to 'cook' for a few months.

I've added more to the mix and from time to time some fresh medium ends up in a pot but I've never had to toss anything, even a batch of soil-less that was too far outside the compatible pH range when I bought it.

That probably won't apply to hydroponic media that have salt buildup, however they could still benefit from a soak
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by airedog View Post
    What's everyone growing in; soil; soiless mix; coco; hydroton? It would seem that to a certain extent, how you grow will dictate how you flush.To my way of thinking, for a Recirculating Deep Water Culture system, adjusting pH is going to put chemicals into your plants when you want to remove them, and, possibly impart a bad taste.
    i use rockwool blocks in an ebb/flo, usually finish at ppm's at about the mid 100's at the end with the top offs,my tap water is at around 73 ppm.

───────▄──█──▄────────
    ───────█─▐█▌─█────────
    ─────▀▄▐▌▐█▌▐▌▄▀──────
    ──────▀▄█▄█▄█▄▀───────
    ───────▄▄▀║▀▄▄────────
    ░░░░░░░░WE░ARE░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░░╦░╦╗╔╗╦╔╗╦╗░░░░░░
    ░░░░░║░╠░║╦║║║║║░░░░░░
    ░░░░░╩╝╩╝╚╝╩╚╝╝╚░░░░░░

Thumbs Up/Down

Your problem is that you want to grow organic but either haven't realized it or think it's too much work.
    Our first grow was started in our basement, shortly after an ankle surgery. A friend who worked in a hydroponics shop set up a Recirculating Deep Water Culture (RDWC) system, as it was a good fit for a newbie with mobility issues and gave good yields. Over the years we've tweaked the system a bit and gradually moved to AN or House and Garden nutes; not totally organic, but well on the way.

For my style of growing the largest stumbling block to going full organic is that water pumps and drippers tend to have a rough time with the solids inherent in organic solutions. On top of that, water is too inviting to bad 'bugs' and I've yet to find a way to prevent them during flower; makes pH control a bitch.

Any further refinements to our grow space will still be basement oriented, as that offers us the most amount of space with ready access to adequate electrical supply and a sink/drain; lugging soil or soilless mix is difficult for us and we're loathe to bring others in on the secret. The final kicker is I've yet to do a side-by-side comparison with meds grown organically from the same mother, and, I'm tending to think there won't be much difference in taste or effect. Further the news out of Stanford University regarding organic veggies seems to lend support to my hypothesis.

Thumbs Up/Down

Ah, but they don't smoke those veggies now do they?

I think the basement is the best all-year spot for a grow, cool in the summer and warm in the winter compared to what's going on outside.
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪