Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Default Welcome Home .... Fall issue of Austin420 magazine

In case you don't know me,
    I gota canned intro this month. My first for print piece :-)

For Austin420 magazine, I missed my deadline for the summer issue, be in the fall issue:

Howdy Y'all!
    My names Chuck Miller.
    Not only am I a Cannabis consumer but I also sit on the Board of Directors of Texas NORML.
    My official title is Veterans Liaison and I carry an Oregon NORML members card also. Texas Outreach, is the title on that one.
    I also have the totally rewarding pleasure of driving the Austin TruthCar.
    This is a first for me, writing something that many other folks will read in print.
    ('er maybe they won't) Not sure if I'll be just "filler" for this issue or if I can continue to write worthy copy :-)
    If you have any questions that you think a veteran in the war on drugs, both sides, for 35+ years,
    can answer, just ask.
    You can reach me at chuck@texasnorml.org or da420magoman@yahoo.com
    My FaceBook page is www.facebook.com/damagomanmago
    Maybe I’ll tell ya’ the story of Mago sometime. Or it may be on my FaceBook page. I know it was on my MySpace.

For those that don't know, the Austin Truth car is the second Truth Enforcement vehicle in what I hope to become the "Texas Fleet" of Truth Enforcement vehicles. Dallas and Austin have "Crown Vics", Ford Crown Victoria police interceptors. Retired law enforcement vehicles decked out to resemble cop cars. San Antonio NORML has a Smart car. Cute but it ain't a Crown Vic with a green light bar. All these vehicles are for the purpose of starting the conversation about the re-legalization of cannabis, to promote NORML and the local NORML chapter. It seems to me, the lawyers that sponsor them are more interested in the business they bring to them, and so it is in a capitalist world. But how many capitalist you know who are trying to put themselves out of business?
    You'll find them at many local events and I hope more events state wide.
    The last couple months Austin Truth car lead the Austin Texas Marijuana March, from Austin city hall to the gates of the Texas State Capital.
    Then attended the Houston Art Car show along with the rest of the fleet, Dallas Truth car, SA's Smart car and a Crown Vic Houston NORML is just getting started on.
    We were applauded by thousands of folks. Only a few didn't applaud. There were lots of winks and smiles too.
    Then it was off to Kerrville Folk Festival for the celebration of songwriters.
    For 41 years, many open-minded folks have gathered for 18 days of fun and Folk music in the sun and dust at Quiet Valley Ranch in the Republican stronghold of Kerr county Texas, home of Lamar Smith.
    I found it ... shall we say, Interesting, that the Texas Hemp Campaign’s protest of Smith's offices was the same day as the start of the Folk Festival. Unfortunately, I was asked not to go by the local Peace Keepers. I ain't naming names, they know who they are.
    Instead we hung out at the Ranch (Quiet Valley Ranch, www.qvranch.com) and took pictures with the festival goers. We did make our presents known; a Fredericksburg newspaper interviewed RattleSnake George and mentioned the Austin Truth car in the article but didn't interview me.
    I also explained the car to a fella that stopped me at the Mini-Mart and asked “What is this all about?”. I explained, we were trying to get marijuana re-legalized. To which he said “me too”. I handed him a Texas NORML handout and returned to the car. At which time my passenger asked what he wanted, I explained and he remarks, “That’s strange, that is Officer Bob of the Kerrville PD.” He had arrested his brother on outstanding warrants a few months earlier.
    Maybe my next article will be the tale of a KerrVirgin(KFF first-timer) at the festival, I have to write it before next year, before I become a full-fledged KerrVert.
    But Vincent wants me to write about Veterans and Cannabis.
    Maybe too late, you may be a KerrVert, if you live on the Ranch.
    (oh snap, a KerrVert book, you may be a Kerrvert if …)
    After a month on the road that seemed like two, we finally got back to Austin.
    But for me, it's back to the Ranch, I fell in love with the vibe and the Ranch. No worries, we got the Internet out there.
    The Ranch staff, are great folks and I can't think of a better way to spend my free time till next Festival, than working with them. At least their dust doesn’t contain dried dog feces and urine like Auditorium Shores in ATX, dust does. I can also use the exercise. Not to mention, they have a very good VA hospital out there and I ain’t real happy with the VA doctor I have in Austin.
    If you have an event that you would like to have the Austin Truth car attend,
    please contact Jamie Spencer, in Austin,TX or Texas NORML.
    The Austin Truth Car can also be seen on the distribution route for Austin420 magazine.
    Till we meet again, Be Safe 

I pop in here from time to time and
    Fight the Forces of Evil in Texas :-)
    Loud and Proud :-)
    Warrior for the Cause since 1977
    "Some of my finest days have been spent on my veranda smoking hemp."
    Thomas Jefferson

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 179/1
    Given: 151/0

DaMagoMan..thanks for fighting for us texans..we will win this war.and become a legal state.ever get up to the panhandle give me a holler.would love to have a sit down with ya and smoke a fatty keep doing what your doing.rock on brother peace and happy harvesting
    Life is too valuable, easy does it..

Thumbs Up/Down

Hell, Brother I was born in the Panhandle, family farm is a section on the west side of Happy.
    Just to hot and dusty up there for me any more. I get up that way with the truth car, everybody will now it (BOSEG)

Why I came home, gota' get everybody out to vote. To few people do in Texas and thats why we have Rick Perry as a governor. Say High to my Bubba Bob Bullock(sp) The Pot Poet up there in Lubbock area. They are even trying to get a NORML chapter started there too.

Live loud and Proud :-)
    Thomas Jefferson

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 179/1
    Given: 151/0

right on will do brother..im 65 miles from happy..and your right about the heat and dust..guess thats why my outdoor plants are not doing good...stay safe and ill be looking for that car peace man..
    Life is too valuable, easy does it..

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 881/0
    Given: 470/1

Car 420, where are you?

Nice Crown Vics
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    Ceci n'est pas une signature du forum.
    Thank You for using S.h.a.d.i.m.a.r.: the world's most poorly coded chatbot.
    Substantially Humanlike Application Determined Insufficient Mediocre And Relatively annoying.

Thumbs Up/Down

Come to Lubbock and we can discuss things bro..
    "Some days it just not worth chewing through the restraints"

Australian Medical Marijuana Educator Smokin Moose's Avatar

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 41/0
    Given: 24/0

Great post and great activism. Bravo!
    [B][COLOR="Navy"][URL="http://shop.vetguru.com/shop/sweet-serenity/"][COLOR="Navy"][SIZE=3]Enlightened Veterinarian's Guide to Treating Pets with Medical Marijuana. Dr Doug Kramer's definitive ebook "Sweet Serenity"[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR][/B]

[SIZE=5][COLOR=Blue]Truth flows on to credibility, and credibility will be the vehicle for change[/COLOR][/SIZE]

420grower

well it looks like some of the old gang is still here,great job Mago

Thumbs Up/Down

That time of year Y'all :-)
    Spring in Texas :-)
    Still out at daRanch , www.qvranch.com .
    Just loved it so much I stayed.
    Seems somebody sent these hippies on a safety break and they forgot what they were doin'
    or just never came back. Either way I got plenty work to do.
    Got tobacco and Lots of herbs coming out of the greenhouse.
    Been teaching myself this permaculture stuff. Always wondered what they called it.
    I like pattern literacy and sustainable horticulturist , myself.
    Death to mono-culture farming and those who perpetuate it. :-)
    Give me the poly-culture Life!
    Thomas Jefferson

Thumbs Up/Down

I think this one was published by Austin420magazine:
    Howdy all Y’all
    I had a great article written on hemp for this issue But as it is in life, another, very different topic crossed my path of life and keeps yelling at me from the bar-ditch. It’s not recent but brewing like a storm. Last October I received word my youngest son, Lee had taken his own life. A child of 13, he was his mother’s miracle baby because she was told she would never have kids. So imagine, her and my surprise, after we broke up because she found a condom wrapper in my garbage, she came and told me she was pregnant.
    Robbi set the rules up from the get go, she didn’t want anything from me other than to be there when he wanted me to be there. I’ve never been a good dad and I wasn’t there when he did. According to his mother, he had been growing his hair long and had recently got it cut. She thought he had found a girl and was getting clean-cut to start dating. Turns out he was bullied in school, about his hair, among other things. It really hurt me to hear this since I promised I would be there when he needed me and now I would never get another chance to fulfill that promise.
    I had spent time with him, when I was close, in Connecticut. Then I moved to North Kentucky/Cincinnati area. Robbi got in touch with me after a couple years and had a new boyfriend and another son. We arranged to meet half way at Gettysburg. We had adjoining rooms and it was great time. We still loved each other, as we had before; time had just made us older and maybe wiser. I returned to Dayton, Ky. and they to Uncasville, Conn.. I was on the outs with my current live-in love and knew I didn’t want to be there anymore. I found my own place and became more active in the Re-legalization Movement. Found MySpace and a whole new world of folks that thought as I had always thought and all my old heroes, as well as some new ones . I had a great job making 60k a year and still, that didn’t seem enough. Lost the job, broke my foot and became homeless. I moved back to Texas and became more involved in cannabis re-legalization. But I was now even further away from where I truly won’t to be. Robbi sent me word that they had moved to up-state New York with her family and that she didn’t want Lee to know about marijuana, till he was 18 or so. This was hard because he had found my mySpace page and wasn’t sure what to think and I had to stay mute on the subject. I sent him a book of Fishing stories that year for his birthday and talked his Grandmother into slipping some cash in the book for me. We did get to fish together once before he was gone. I like to think I was able to teach him a little of what I knew, that wouldn’t turn him into an outlaw like me.
    As I sit with Happy Jack, Rattlesnake George and the host of others who drift in and out, we discuss the way things should be and I realized, we all bully each other, all the time. As George recounts his Traumatic Life incident, that happened god knows when and how long ago, Jack is trying to tell a story he may not remember again. Jack talks louder and George talks less and the story gets told. Now George is not a small man like Jack, in fact George is pretty scary to look at and if he’s up and moving toward you, he’s down right freighting. But Jack knows George and he knows there isn’t a violent bone in the man’s body. And there is no reason to fear, talking over him to get the story told.
    It seems to me it’s the fear of what others think about us that drives some to end the suffering. If maybe I had been there to explain that fear or shelter him from it, my son may not have put his pajamas on, crawled into bed and ended his life.
    One of the things that has stuck in my mind for the last few months is a sign, I came across out at Quiet Valley ranch in the kitchen area. Lot of signs out there, some are script written on wood and some are just the feelings and smells that sweep over you from time to time.
    This one is script on wood that reads,
    “Never look down on someone unless you are helping them up”
    Always be there for Family, not matter what you think may stand in your way and never think you are better than others because they look or think different than you, we are all the same.
    All is One.
    Till we meet again, Be Safe.
    Thomas Jefferson

Thumbs Up/Down

The a fore mentioned Hemp article, awaiting publishing:
    Hemp can fuel our domestic economy
    The New world was explored and discovered with the use of hemp. America was built with hemp, cannabis and marijuana.
    Then in 1937 a crew of lairs, cheaters and thieves conspired, along with some members of our Congress, and used a campaign of racism and dis-information to make hemp and cannabis illegal, until 1942. During World War II, when Japan cut off our hemp supply. Patriotic American farmers from 1942 – 1945, who agreed to grow hemp were waived service in the military during World War II.
    Sadly, the US has not granted any large scale licenses to grow hemp since the 1950’s. Currently we have 11 states waiting for the DEA to approve their cultivation of hemp. The DEA’s response is that these hemp crops would be used as a cover for marijuana. They seem to have a problem telling the difference between hemp and cannabis. As a result of this ignorance, all industrial production of hemp products in the US requires the importation of raw materials. This has led to higher production costs and decreased competitiveness in both domestic and international markets for America made hemp products. Canada grows industrial hemp and can offer these products cheaper than an American company that has to buy and import Canadian hemp.
    Currently American cannabis farming is the number one cash crop in several states with US yearly production estimates running into the billions of dollars that fund black-markets and supply medicine to a legitimate medical marijuana industry. Of the medical marijuana states, Oregon, Hawaii, Montana and California also have industrial hemp laws on the books and await DEA approval to plant the first industrial hemp crops in America since the end of World War II. It seems to me that there is no longer a need for DEA approval, especially if a state already has medical marijuana. Some want hemp and cannabis rescheduled from schedule 1 to schedule 3. I personally don’t see why it should even be a scheduled narcotic.
    The medical value is a drop in the bucket compared to the economic value of the hemp plant. As my hero Jack Herer states in his book, “The Emperor Wears No Clothes”, “hemp is the number-one annually renewable, fully sustainable, non pesticide-requiring and most abundant source of paper, fiber, fuel, food and medicine on the face of the Earth; with more overall uses than any other known plant. In other words, cannabis hemp is the greatest plant on Earth.” So why should it be a scheduled narcotic?
    There is no reasonable explanation other than greed. For too long greed has ruled our world, polluted our Earth and caused death among our citizens. It’s time for people to wake up and stop the greed that rules our government. Coal is not the answer; fracking for natural gas is not the answer. Nuclear power is not the answer. The tar sands of Canada can stay in Canada. Let our farmers grow the energy we consume. Industrial hemp is the answer.
    70% of a hemp crop is cellulose, which is used in the production of anything made from crude oil. It can be made in America, clean and renewable. An acre of hemp can produce 1,000 gallons of methanol or 500 gallons of gasoline. 90 million acres of land, that is the “Soil Bank”, a huge chunk of land that the government pays farmers not to grow on; Hemp doesn’t need prime agricultural land. We can grow the fuel America consumes, “Farming only 6% of continental U.S. acreage with biomass crops would provide all of America’s gas and oil needs, ending dependence upon fossil fuels” *(The Emperor Wears No Clothes and Manahan,Stanley E., Environmental Chemistry, 4th edition) There has always been argument on how much land we would have to cultivate with biomass crops to get the job done but the bottom line is without a change in the laws, It’ll Never Get Done. To quote a Texas oil man, T.Boone Pickens, “I don’t care what it is as long as it is Domestic fuel.”
    At a time when our manufacturing capacity is at an all-time low, I see no better time to retool, reinvest and reinvent this infrastructure to use hemp for biomass crops, for manufacturing feed stock and bring American jobs back home. The politicians will tell you it can’t be done. I say we can’t get it done with them in office. They vote No, they got to Go! You want a Sputnik moment Mr. President? Then re-legalize cannabis. Stop the Federal crackdown on states with legal medical marijuana. Remove cannabis from the narcotics scheduling and let us grow what we need. Return cannabis to its rightful place as the most wonderful and useful plant on Earth!
    Everything I have written about can be found in Jack Herer’s book “The Emperor Wears No Clothes “. I own one copy and call it my Bible. I encourage everyone to buy a copy and when you are finished with it donate it to your local library. I was sad to find that Austin Public Library only had one copy and have been asking folks to donate a copy or two when they can. Spread the Truth!
    Till we meet again, Be Safe.
    Thomas Jefferson

Thumbs Up/Down

And my last one :-)

We are All One

The last time I sat to write about Cannabis Prohibition in America,
    there were 17 Medical (MMJ)states.
    The New Year finds us with 18 MMJ states and 2 rec-Use States.
    It brings great joy to me, to realize and be an observer of this part of human history.
    The Re-Legalization of Cannabis and Hemp in America,
    those that have gone before Us are partying their asses off, someWhere.
    And as they say at UT, "What starts Here, Changes the World"

As we mark our calendars for the events of this coming year,
    remember, We are All One.
    Yet, so few of us stand up,
    that we are gonna’ have to spread out, far and wide.
    But always pointing to D.C., the National Capital.

Every time, every where you go,
    you represent not just yourself
    but a community of folks that are scared and hurt, for one reason or another,
    that cain't stand for them self's and They All rely on Us.
    Some are ambulatory and some are not. Some veiw things the exact same way you do and some don't.

The currrent stratagie is to get the Meds legal,
    as it should be with a compassionate cause such as Ours.
    A healthy and cheaper alternative to man-made poison.
    But We can not get tunnel vision and see only that Light.

Legalizing for med and rec use, nullifies one of the Other obstacles to Industrial Hemp re-legalization.

We can not get tunnel vision and see only that Light.
    Hemp is the Industrial side of Our fight.
    And they got even bigger guns!
    But We are all the Grassroots of Re-Legalization movement, the polls are with US and the US farmers and ranchers need a crop that not only fuels America But is not a current major food product. An herb and a weed, that can be used as feedstock, for so many different products that could relive the Rust Belt, put more people to work and still be eco-friendly.

We can cure our addiction to crude oil, with total legalization.
    They have called the hemp movement the back door to marijuana legalization,
    when in reality it was always a front door issue with a back door problem.
    The prohibitionists want you to see only the path of least resistance as the best.
    It’s not, it takes work to fuel America and not destroy the world environment, at the same time.
    It Takes work, to get American jobs Back.
    And it Takes All of Us and Work,
    to make a community that can survive as long as the earth is here to sustain us.
    As each community re-learns this,
    we work together in the same direction, towards the same goal.
    Even if we don’t know it,
    the goals are shared goals.
    I’m happy to announce the formation of The Texas Cannabis Party. We will be filing paperwork as a minor political party in the Great State Of Texas(it’s a whole ‘nother state of Mind) and I, personal as co-chair have accepted the US Marijuana Party of Texas Chair. Be filing FED and state paper on that One, too.
    We voted and decided to back our joining of the USMJP, USMP,… depending on the minor party rules for Texas that come out 2 years before the next election cycle.
    Which brings me to a subject to leave you to ponder:
    Why is there no place to declare your party on the Texas voter reg.?
    I can’t even get the ACLU to answer me. AnyBody?
    AnyBody?!?
    Just asking, why?
    I figure if you don’t know,
    don’t declare But We should have a box to write it In!

Till We Meet Again, Be safe
    Chuck Mago,
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Thomas Jefferson