Thread: Aenerobic composting ie: Bokashi!!!!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 19/0
    Given: 2/0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Default Aenerobic composting ie: Bokashi!!!!

Just read about a company making an awesome product line based on Bokashi Composting. It's pretty simple, Bucket with filter at bottom to allow liquid to pass through to a spigot, air tight lid, pre-innoculated Bokashi Bran and it's ready.

Bokashi will compost meat, dairy and even baked goods in as little as 2 weeks and there are no odors.

The system produces 2 products a solid and a liquid. Both are serious soil enhancers. The liquid can be used as a seed soak and as a soil inoculate allowing for incredible microrhizial development. Plants can be grown directly in the solid component.

Check out http://www.bokashicomposting.com/ for comprehensive info. I recommend this to every grower and especially to high density farmers. This stuff works miracles on pig and chicken feces.
    What's the difference between a pun and a fart? One is a shift of wit.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

why isnt every child in the world taught this in school.....

currently i use compost tea... you dont know how much better that is than just wasting all your compost.... but this bokashi is next level..... I will now be able to recycle more of my household waste..... normally i send meat scraps in my green bin to the city for them to compost and make money off people at a later date..... this is because i dont want to attract animals to my compost pile...............

BOKASHI IS THE FUTURE..... THE PAST AND ALL THE FOOD INBETWEEN...

check out the link for bokashi in the post before this..
    check out http://soilfoodweb.ca/
    youtube compost tea.... it will heal the earth quite efficiently !
    STAY IN THE ORGANICS SECTION OF THIS FORUM!

look out for the rev's book coming out fall 2012, TRUE LIVING ORGANICS..... http://www.facebook.com/TheRevski
    Be safe ! vacuum purge your bho... it looks cool
    Not getting cancer is worth spending the money..

OPERATION SKU is coming to where ever it is.. Skunks Needed
    I want to know and own everything skunky.. we can rebuild it
    we have the technology. Contact me for info

Zygote

Thumbs Up/Down

Been using bokashi for a year or so now. I absolutely love the stuff. I wish I knew about it back when I had to use kitty litter for my cat (now the great forested outdoors is her toilet).

P.S., What will really heal the earth is rock dust!

Thumbs Up/Down

ive done research on this rock dust... not a are equal, basalt rock, pulverized as fine as possible is the best... that computer died ..so i cant provide anymore information currently but yes.. rock dust is good.......... thank you for bringing that up
    Be safe ! vacuum purge your bho... it looks cool
    Not getting cancer is worth spending the money..

OPERATION SKU is coming to where ever it is.. Skunks Needed
    I want to know and own everything skunky.. we can rebuild it
    we have the technology. Contact me for info

Thumbs Up/Down

http://www.csu.edu.au/__data/assets/...shi_bucket.pdf

This is bokashi used at a University in the doorms. Very easy read and great tutorial of what's what. Thinking about this as an alternative to a worm bin. Would be great in my outdoor garden too...winter is a great time for planning! MAkes me think all those things the kids eat half of...muffins, toast, apples, pasta, etc. could all stay out of the landfill and make designer compost.
    Last edited by Tweedybird; 11-14-2012 at 04:03 PM.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Given: 1/0

Default Amazing Bokashi

Tweety,
    Fair warning Bokashi needs 8 to 12 weeks of burial in your yard for complete material breakdown. Bokashi does not replace the vermicompost from a worm bin, instead it is the perfect food for the worms. I have read that they will consume the Bokashi at a 2 to 3 time faster rate over conventional compost. This stuff is too hot (nutrient rich) to use as a top dress or amendment to a soil mix when freshly harvested from burial. This may be unique to my local environment but the first time I dug up a bucket of buried Bokashi I was a little shocked. The mass of compost looked alive, like it was breathing. There was so much insect life in the compost there was no way I could bring it into my indoor bin to feed my worms. I left it buried in its place and let my summer vegetable garden enjoy it's benefits. This is purely my own experience with Bokashi compost. I will say that complete lobster and king crab shells broke down in the 10 weeks underground. That was pretty amazing! Just my $.02.
    Be bold and strong forces will come to your aid.

Thumbs Up/Down

Oh! Thanks. I had no idea it could be that lively! Don't think I could deal with those organisms.

Thumbs Up/Down

I made the lacto-b, but am not going the other step of innoculating any bran. The serum is sitting in a jar. One thing though...this stuff smell so horrendous I can't stand it. If any gets on my hands, the smell will not wash off. Makes me heave a bit just thinking of the smell.
    Hippy dippy organic grower

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 884/0
    Given: 475/1

Which is why I opt for aerobic, never anaerobic composting

The oxygen lovers just make it smell like a healthy forest floor.
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    Ceci n'est pas une signature du forum.
    Thank You for using S.h.a.d.i.m.a.r.: the world's most poorly coded chatbot.
    Substantially Humanlike Application Determined Insufficient Mediocre And Relatively annoying.

Thumbs Up/Down

So the horrible smell to the serum is usual? I suppose, what did I expect from fermented milk serum...ugh...
    Hippy dippy organic grower

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0

Bokashi makes a WONDERFUL addition to AACT and a soil amendment.

I can't praise this stuff enough

420grower

well I think any way you can transform leftover food scrapes into usable compost is fucking huge,great article and seems also a great product,thanks much for the info,peace

Thumbs Up/Down

Using bokashi is a great way to get micro organisms in your soil or teas. You can break down everything that has been already mentioned, however our favourite thing to bokashi is the left over leaf from a water extraction making "bubble". Also you can save all of your crystal water and ferment it with EM mother culture. After 2 weeks of fermenting at room temperature you will have EM crystal water. No waste! The left over leaf must be squeezed out to get rid of all excess water. Then add Em Mother and Mollasses and tie it off Anaerobic. It will ferment, turn white with life and become an incredible soil innoculant. A rhizosphere enhancer you might call it. This will super charge your organic microbial soil processing. The whole idea of using fermented anaerobic cultures in your organic garden is an old world practice. Whether it's Biodynamics with the cow horn and Steiner practices, or Natural Farming with Master Cho they are all collecting indigenous micro organisms and incorporating them into the soil or teas. Bokashi is an important piece of knowledge for the heady organic farmer, and essential to a animal farmer.
    Big Up!!!