Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: air vent/temp

Zygote

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Default air vent/temp

I have a question for anyone. I have a flowering room that is 5'x10', in it I have a digital 600 hps ballast and light , a 1000 watt light(magnetic ballast in another room). I have a 11000 btu portable a/c but it is unable to keep temp down. hitting 90deg +. I have a air intake in the form of a central air duct with a low volume 6" fan drawing 24/7. the roof has a 4" duct constant venting out the roof along with the 300cfm or so from the ac exhaust. I can't figure it out, am I venting too much and the ac can't keep up with it? Do I not have enough air being brought in fast enough?? should I slow the outflow and try to cool what is in the room?. ANY advice would be greatly appreciated.

Vegetative Member

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0

I always buy a big fat expensive MEGA CFM fan first, then buy lights.

In your case you need to move that air out of your room ... I'd say 3x a minute, and so at 500 square feet, you're going to need a big assed fan. Do the math, bro. You need to compute everything in terms of CFM.
    Last edited by Rickkus; 06-15-2011 at 06:37 AM.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0

check the temp on the intake are is it directly from outside. It could be your venting too much but that you could tell by the weather outside/ in other room because your ac wont keep up, Aswell keep ac near intake and put intake on the floor. But the more you pump out air should do the trick.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 94/1
    Given: 8/0

Is the a.c. actually in the flower room? if ya can,,,, move it out in the commons room( with the evap. side os the a.c.out of the room if possible) and intake from there,,, also set it for non-recirculate (not on max. cool,,, ) most times this will allow it to suck in fresh air and mix it with the a.c. air as its running. And like BB said,,, let the air intake for the flower room suck air close to the floor on the inlet side. Had the same problem,,, was suck'n air off the ceiling of my commons room,,,, put a flex pipe on it,,, and dropped it close to the floor,,picks up cool air from the commons room floor,,, and dumps it in the flower room up by the ceiling,,right in front of the fan,, and man what a diff.

R

420grower

so true all,high temps create low yields,and very loose buds,I must say somewhere along the line you are defeating your purpose,check and get rid of as much warm air at plant level as you can,if your using air conditioner use it just like normal,in window best,keep hot exhaust air out,cool air to inside,great comments,peace

inkog77

fan is 5000 cubic metres capacity outlet.

fan is 1000 cubic metres capacity inlet,

6000 wtt

average temp no high than 30c ever

inkog77

what is the best way to use ac and ventilation.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 542/2
    Given: 358/1

Welcome to the forum, please feel free to post an intro thread here - http://www.treatingyourself.com/vbul...splay.php?f=13

In my experiences with ac experiments... Well first off, you have the ac unit and an exhaust vent in the room correct? This in itself is a possibility, but prolly not the way you have it setup. I have put an ac unit completely in a room before, but it took some modifications. Now in a 5x10 room, that would be a bit dicey. But I would get that unit out of the room.

Here is an example of a chiller box i built about 7 years ago. Same principle as the portable units.

I used 8in flex duct to vent the evap side through a hole I made in the foundation and 8in flex for the air intake. I ran 4 4in flex lines to evenly distribute the cool air throughout the room. I had to run the intake vent and cool air return through a closet wall into my flower room. The basement I was growing in did not have any windows. This little contraption cooled a 10x12 room with 2 1000 watt HPS lamps. After I dismantled my grow room, I recycled this baby into a chiller for my water cooled pc, ah memory lane.

Basically this was before the portable ac units was widely avail, and was only a 5,000 btu window unit.

Only way that portible will be of any use is if it can cool a certain volume of air and it is outside of the room. So you would kinda have to time it out to where your outside vent is off, the ac unit is running and recirculating the air to cool it. Basically you need time your exhaust vent according to the ability the ac has to cool that area.

Hope this helps and if you have any questions, I'll let you pick my brain. Anyone is interested in the ghetto portable I made, I have some pics as well.
    Last edited by lightly_toasted; 06-17-2011 at 03:06 AM.

inkog77

so may b its best to use all cool tubes and big ventilation fans.

then mayb a little ac unit may b 6kw direct in the room for heating and cooling.

fan is 5000 cubic metres capacity outlet. split in two

making 2500 cubic metres capacity for cool tubes

then

making 2500 cubic metres capacity for main filtered outlet

6000 wtt

what you think about that

inkog77

Quote Originally Posted by inkog77
    so may b its best to use all cool tubes and big ventilation fans.

then mayb a little ac unit may b 6kw direct in the room for heating and cooling.

fan is 5000 cubic metres capacity outlet. split in two

making 2500 cubic metres capacity for cool tubes

then

making 2500 cubic metres capacity for main filtered outlet

6000 wtt

what you think about that
    Mitsubishi Heavy Industrial SCM60-ZJ Multi Inverter 2 x 5 kW room system

Price: £2100.00

This package comprises 1 outdoor unit running multiple indoor units. If outdoor space is at a premium or you don't want a lot of outdoor air conditioning units, then this system is for you. Mitsubishi Multi air conditioning units are all inverter controlled and provide effective heating and cooling any residential or commercial application. As there is only one outdoor unit the total cost of installation is reduced.

Includes
    1 x SCM60ZJ Condensing unit
    2 x SKM50ZJ Indoor Unit's
    2 x Controllers

2 indoor units on 1 outdoor condensing unit

Mitsubishi Heavy Industries has been manufacturing multi systems for residential applications for many years. The latest state-of-the-art Inverter technology is now applied to the SKM range, delivering exceptionally high efficiency, as well as variable individual unit control for stable and comfortable conditions.

The new advanced SKM Wall Mounted Indoor Units now include the Mitsubishi innovative NATURAL ENZYME FILTER which destroys funghi bacteria and viruses. This combined with the main PHOTOCATALYTIC WASHABLE DEODORIZING FILTER, provides healthy clean air for the occupants. Record CoP (Coefficient of Performance) This has been dramatically increased, up to a record 4.02 on some models. This means the system can deliver 4.02kW of heating, whilst consuming only 1.0kW of electrical power. This has been achieved by combining advanced Mitsubishi technology with R410A.

The SKM variable capacity multi systems are ideal for light commercial and residential applications, having the highest CoP up to 4.02, and low start currents, ideal where there is limited power supply. The Inverter outdoor units are suitable for 2, 3, or 4 connected indoor units, depending on the model. Each indoor unit is connected directly by a pair of small diameter refrigerant pipes to the outdoor unit. There are no branch joints involved. All connected indoor units operate in the same mode, i.e. either all Heating, or all Cooling. There are many permutations of connectable indoor units to each outdoor unit.
    Key Features

High CoP, up to record 3.62
    1 Outdoor unit saving space
    Energy saving inverter
    New advanced technology control
    Infra-red controller with wall mounting bracket
    Reduced height slim construction
    Pipe runs up to 70 metres
    Low noise – 22dBA on smaller models
    Back-up switch for loss of controller
    Cold draft prevention on heat pump start up
    Fault diagnosis
    Auto re-start after power interruption
    PRE-CHARGED WITH REFRIGERANT for up to 15 metres pipe length

OUTDOOR UNIT

Model - SCM60ZJ
    Power source 1 ph 240v
    Type Inverter
    COOLING (nominal) max. kW 6.0(1.4~6.9)
    HEATING (nominal) max. kW 7.0(0.75~7.2)
    E.E.R. 3.21
    Energy label in heating B
    Energy label in cooling B
    C.o.P 3.23
    Exterior dimensions (mm) 750X880X340
    Net weight kg 66
    Power Source Rating MCB A 20A
    Refrigerant max piping length m 40
    3 pipe service connections
    Pipe sizes - 1/4" x 1/2"

INDOOR UNIT

Model - SKM50ZJ

Exterior dimensions (mm) 268 x 790 x 199
    Net weight kg 12
    Sound Pressure Level* (cooling) dB(A) 41/32/23
    Sound Pressure Level* (heating) dB(A) 45/36/27
    COOLING (nominal) max. kW 5.0 kw / 17000 btu
    HEATING (nominal) max. kW 5.6 kw / 17000 btu

Thumbs Up/Down

Price: £2100.00

This package comprises 1 outdoor unit running multiple indoor units. If outdoor space is at a premium or you don't want a lot of outdoor air conditioning units, then this system is for you. Mitsubishi Multi air conditioning units are all inverter controlled and provide effective heating and cooling any residential or commercial application. As there is only one outdoor unit the total cost of installation is reduced.

Includes
    1 x SCM60ZJ Condensing unit
    2 x SKM50ZJ Indoor Unit's
    2 x Controllers

2 indoor units on 1 outdoor condensing unit

Mitsubishi Heavy Industries has been manufacturing multi systems for residential applications for many years. The latest state-of-the-art Inverter technology is now applied to the SKM range, delivering exceptionally high efficiency, as well as variable individual unit control for stable and comfortable conditions.

The new advanced SKM Wall Mounted Indoor Units now include the Mitsubishi innovative NATURAL ENZYME FILTER which destroys funghi bacteria and viruses. This combined with the main PHOTOCATALYTIC WASHABLE DEODORIZING FILTER, provides healthy clean air for the occupants. Record CoP (Coefficient of Performance) This has been dramatically increased, up to a record 4.02 on some models. This means the system can deliver 4.02kW of heating, whilst consuming only 1.0kW of electrical power. This has been achieved by combining advanced Mitsubishi technology with R410A.

The SKM variable capacity multi systems are ideal for light commercial and residential applications, having the highest CoP up to 4.02, and low start currents, ideal where there is limited power supply. The Inverter outdoor units are suitable for 2, 3, or 4 connected indoor units, depending on the model. Each indoor unit is connected directly by a pair of small diameter refrigerant pipes to the outdoor unit. There are no branch joints involved. All connected indoor units operate in the same mode, i.e. either all Heating, or all Cooling. There are many permutations of connectable indoor units to each outdoor unit.
    Key Features

High CoP, up to record 3.62
    1 Outdoor unit saving space
    Energy saving inverter
    New advanced technology control
    Infra-red controller with wall mounting bracket
    Reduced height slim construction
    Pipe runs up to 70 metres
    Low noise – 22dBA on smaller models
    Back-up switch for loss of controller
    Cold draft prevention on heat pump start up
    Fault diagnosis
    Auto re-start after power interruption
    PRE-CHARGED WITH REFRIGERANT for up to 15 metres pipe length

OUTDOOR UNIT

Model - SCM60ZJ
    Power source 1 ph 240v
    Type Inverter
    COOLING (nominal) max. kW 6.0(1.4~6.9)
    HEATING (nominal) max. kW 7.0(0.75~7.2)
    E.E.R. 3.21
    Energy label in heating B
    Energy label in cooling B
    C.o.P 3.23
    Exterior dimensions (mm) 750X880X340
    Net weight kg 66
    Power Source Rating MCB A 20A
    Refrigerant max piping length m 40
    3 pipe service connections
    Pipe sizes - 1/4" x 1/2"

INDOOR UNIT

Model - SKM50ZJ

Exterior dimensions (mm) 268 x 790 x 199
    Net weight kg 12
    Sound Pressure Level* (cooling) dB(A) 41/32/23
    Sound Pressure Level* (heating) dB(A) 45/36/27
    COOLING (nominal) max. kW 5.0 kw / 17000 btu
    HEATING (nominal) max. kW 5.6 kw / 17000 btu
    Hmm, sounds pretty good, you have an actual link to it?

inkog77

something like that ac unit.

plus sun light system air cooled shades

https://www.sunlightsupply.com/p-122...reflector.aspx

plus fans..... mayb complete over kill..... but controll is what you want.
    peace lightly

inkog77

peace lightly
    link for ac unit

http://www.cooltechairconditioning.c...hp?product=178

Thumbs Up/Down

peace lightly
    Yeah, I like the enclosed hoods, but they are still subject to some lumen loss. Myself, I have never ran any enclosed hoods. I could see their use for say a room that has limited height as not to burn the heads off your ladies with the extra heat.

But IMHO, with a proper ventilation, ac setup, and headroom, there is really no need for sealed hoods in an average climate. It may take a day or 2 to get the venting dialed in to run an ac unit efficently, but in the long run it will be worth the trouble. Now if your located in a more extreme climate, I can totally see the benefits of sealed hoods. The trick with ac is to get the ac to draw air from the lower cool area which makes the ac work less to cool it and vent the conditioned air in near the ceiling level to cool the warm area above before it expands down to the lower regions. (warm air rises, cool air drops logic) That in itself is a major way to improve how well an ac unit can perform.

I had to look around to find the btu rating on those units, which I found here for the overall system - http://www.coolserve.com.sg/htmdocs/...ls.asp?id=3134 Which the btu rating on the overall system is 17060btu. Not too shabbyfor the size and kw draw, but way too pricey for my liking. I would just get a 1 ton ac condensor and build my own separate central air system just for my grow op. That would save me approx $1500 by our currency, and prices.

I had worked with a guy who installed HVAC systems for a short period years ago, so I have just enough knowledge in HVAC to make me dangerous.

LT
    Last edited by lightly_toasted; 06-17-2011 at 06:27 PM.

inkog77

http://www.daikinac.com/commercial/d...-%20Daikin.pdf

which model do you think,, over we single phase,

any books i should read,,,, as can fitt this stuff...... come from heating side of the industry only fitted one heat pump with slinkys layed in the field.

inkog77

although i would say it all depends on room and space to do it your way, as there is a lot of duct work to do,,,, you would have to do all work in loft space, for the return hot air. i have a talk with one of my friends wh used to b an ac engineer
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	how-to-troubleshoot-a-central-air-conditioning-system-1.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	44006  

Thumbs Up/Down

I have to admit, my mind is a little toasty atm, plus my kiddo has tonsilitis so I have only slept 4 hours the past 48. I will try to take a look in the morning after a couple cups of coffee.

LT

inkog77

ok dude hope gets better soon,,,, hate that tonsolitis ****

inkog77

you said lightly

"The trick with ac is to get the ac to draw air from the lower cool area which makes the ac work less to cool it and vent the conditioned air in near the ceiling level to cool the warm area above before it expands down to the lower regions. (warm air rises, cool air drops logic) That in itself is a major way to improve how well an ac unit can perform."

so you would have the wall hung aircon unit what about 1.2 mtr of the wall....

not like the they have in house normally say 2mtr of ground on wall

Thumbs Up/Down

http://www.daikinac.com/commercial/d...-%20Daikin.pdf

which model do you think,, over we single phase,

any books i should read,,,, as can fitt this stuff...... come from heating side of the industry only fitted one heat pump with slinkys layed in the field.
    I really couldn't say as far as model, I am unfamiliar with your homes layout. with these units, they are completely different from the portable unit in the OP. But if I was to guess, I would say one of the wall mount units, I would go with the higher range(btu) efficiency models. These units are designed to not work against itself, unlike the portables that dispense heat back into the room they are cooling. Another factor to consider is efficency, here we go by a SEER rating, the higher the better.

Here is some general info -
    http://www.central-air-conditioner-and-refrigeration.com/Central_air_conditioner.html

http://www.air-conditioning-and-refr...ion-guide.com/

although i would say it all depends on room and space to do it your way, as there is a lot of duct work to do,,,, you would have to do all work in loft space, for the return hot air. i have a talk with one of my friends wh used to b an ac engineer
    My suggestion was just a general suggestion, meaning if you have a bit of mechanical inclination, you can build your own system and save a lot of money. Can't help it, I'm frugal, lol. But you would still have to have a licensed HVAC technician install the lines and charge the system.

you said lightly

"The trick with ac is to get the ac to draw air from the lower cool area which makes the ac work less to cool it and vent the conditioned air in near the ceiling level to cool the warm area above before it expands down to the lower regions. (warm air rises, cool air drops logic) That in itself is a major way to improve how well an ac unit can perform."

so you would have the wall hung aircon unit what about 1.2 mtr of the wall....

not like the they have in house normally say 2mtr of ground on wall
    This was a suggestion again for the portable. Removing it from the room and running the air intake(return), and the conditioned air vents through flex duct would vastly improve it's efficency for cooling. Now you would just have to vent the evap side(the hot air byproduct) of the ac out of the area you located the unit or that space will get hot quick.

inkog77

ok lightly got you i know what you mean,,,,, and understand about the portable ac unit they produces a lot of heat, so unless vent correct or in other room would work against your flowering /grow room main.or

still all very interesting..... like to learn and this type of thread allways get me think. whats and cans.

peace thanks for the reply and chat

hope you little boy get better soon

inkog77

i know this is another forum but these look wicked and there are cheap compared to over here.

the melon head.

welcome...

http://www.420magazine.com/forums/gr...guarantee.html

money back garantee.

inkog77

when i say cheap i mean in comparison to the sunlight system xxl 8

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0

if your having problems with the 600 and 1000 wattage your better off running 8" the 6" will have to run at full speed or your have to lower your a/c to about 60% degrees. enjoy
    i still say no on the feminized beans.

inkog77

ye i hear you

stupid thing is its hard to get 8 inch spigot light here in uk..... i should set up shop because most sell ****.

i also looked at http://advancednutrients.com/hydropo...nformation.php

this means you could have a small ac unit for atmosphere however again you can not get in uk.

i as greenie in USA fr quote to send melon heads,,, 1600 buck for 12 reflectors. 1900 bucks to shipp.... taking the mike really.....

message meand have a chat.

peace

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast