Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 4/0
    Given: 0/0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Default Dutch government to ban tourists from cannabis shops

AMSTERDAM (Reuters) - The Dutch government on Friday said it would start banning tourists from buying cannabis from "coffee shops" and impose restrictions on Dutch customers by the end of the year.

The Netherlands is well known for having one of Europe's most liberal soft drug policies that has made its cannabis shops a popular tourist attraction, particularly in Amsterdam.

Backed by the far-right party of anti-immigrant politician Geert Wilders, the coalition government that came into power last year announced plans to curb drug tourism as part of a nationwide program to promote health and fight crime.

"In order to tackle the nuisance and criminality associated with coffee shops and drug trafficking, the open-door policy of coffee shops will end," the Dutch health and justice ministers wrote in a letter to the country's parliament on Friday.

Under the new rules, only Dutch residents will be able to sign up as members of cannabis shops.

Dutch customers will have to sign up for at least a year's membership and each shop would be expected to have only up to 1,500 members, a justice ministry spokesman said.

The policy will roll out in the southern provinces of Limburg, Noord Brabant and Zeeland by the end of the year and the rest of the country next year, the spokesman said.

Amsterdam, home to about 220 coffee shops, is already in the process of closing some in its red light district. Some officials have resisted the measures, saying they will push the soft drug trade underground.

Some Dutch border towns including Maastricht and Terneuzen have already restricted the sale of marijuana to foreigners.

(Reporting by Greg Roumeliotis and Gilbert Kreijger; Editing by Andrew Heavens)

Vegetative Member TheMerryPrankster's Avatar

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 10/0
    Given: 0/0

Sounds about as ridiculous as my governments laws (US). Makes no sense. They are going to lose a ton of tourist $$$$.
    Last edited by TheMerryPrankster; 05-28-2011 at 10:28 AM.

Founder & Publisher of TY Marco Renda's Avatar

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 25/0
    Given: 2/0

Quote Originally Posted by TheMerryPrankster
    Sounds about as ridiculous as my governments laws (US). Makes no sense. They are going to lose a ton of tourist $$$$.
    Yep I have to agree with you there.

Marco

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 37/0
    Given: 6/1

Quote Originally Posted by Marco Renda
    Yep I have to agree with you there.

Marco

I too agree this makes no sense,the Dutch have always had a great view towards cannabis use & to ban tourists from smoking with greatly stop people visiting Holland.

Holland has always been a place for pot smokers it does have great scenery but i would say that 99% of the tourists that visit Holland do so to smoke weed in the comfort of not being harassed by the authorities.

This is not a good move by the Dutch government imo.

skunk-mad.
    This is ten percent luck, twenty percent skill
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will
    Five percent pleasure, fifty percent pain
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

Remember the name Fort Minor

http://www.classic-cannabis-seed-company.co.uk

COMING SOON!!!

http://www.classic-cannabis-company.co.uk/

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 881/0
    Given: 470/1

Wave goodbye to Dutch tourism.. Tulips just don't smoke the same

Tune in next year for "Dutch economy still in peril, cannabis available to tourists just outside coffee shops, third guy on the left".
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    Ceci n'est pas une signature du forum.
    Thank You for using S.h.a.d.i.m.a.r.: the world's most poorly coded chatbot.
    Substantially Humanlike Application Determined Insufficient Mediocre And Relatively annoying.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 65/0
    Given: 136/1

What's next the Red Light District closing? No more live animal sex shows? Oh well I was hoping to get over there this year maybe next but might think of another destination now as my last trip. Maybe I will have to finally go to Quebec, NOT. LOL
    Help me stop DSS delicate soul syndrome. We need volunteers to hug and hold all the delicate souls until we can heal them. Help us today! You can make a difference in someone's life. Tell them the truth.