Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 537/2
    Given: 344/1

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Default LT's Ghetto Veg Cab under $100 investested

First off, you may ask why I have decided to go the route of a grow cab. Simple. I don't have a lot of space at this point in time. Too many remodeling projects around the house, as well as my finances are limited. I will cover a few very important topics during the course of this guide, this is what works for me and has worked for me in starting off a new grow-op. So with that in mind, here is my plan:

Planning

Ok, with what I have for space, I will be limited to the basement. No biggy, it's cooler down there and will help with keeping temps reasonable during the summer. I wll not be able to have the cabs side by side, bummer. Thats ok, less chance for un-wanted pollination later down the road when I get into breeding. Only drawback is I will need a source of heat in the winter, I don't heat my basement and it stays in the 40's on a cold winter. I will Address this when it gets close to the fall. I have a laundry sink that is within close proximity, so water source is covered. Although not going to be a major component untill I can afford a good Reverse Osmosis filter with a De-ionizer. So I will be carting home gallons of distilled water till then.

Electrical Access

Well, where I will be putting my veg cab there is no electrical outlets. No biggy, I am a hobbyist electrical tinkerer. Just have to run a new line to my panel, already re-wired the entire house last year and upgraded to 200 amp service so I know I have the headroom in my panel while maintaining saftey. I will be using a 15 amp circuit for the veg cab alone. I am checking into getting some floro tubes setup as my light source, this of course will be a custom light fixture I create using some supplies I currently have. So my overall draw should be in the safe zone for this circuit even with using lights and a fan.
    My panel shown here has several circuits not in use, I have a free 15 amp circuit already installed at number 13, turned off and ready to have a line ran to it. I will get into running the electrical later.

Existing Construction or New Construction

Now, I have the basic frame already built, was for another use in my basement. This will be my work area as well and I will be converting it into a locking cabinet above the Vegging cab for storing various supplies and tools associated with growing. Best way I can think of for keeping it organized and keeping with Michigan law for closed and locked facility . Unfortuanately, my flower cab will require a complete ground up build.
    Not too shabby, needs some cleaning. This is essentially my laundry area, which this is supposed to be my folding area or something of that nature. I have a better idea :ymdevil: Enter some cannabis cultivation. Now had this of been a perfect world when I built this area some foreplanning would of been nice. My actual dimensions are a half inch shy of 4 ft, 3 ft tall, and 2.5 ft deep. But I plan to use 8 4 ft 6500K t8 bulbs. Enter Magyver. I will just have to get crafty with how I mount my lights. I will touch on this a little later.

There, some cleaning started. I have to find places to put stuff around in my basement since I don't have the extra room to move my junk out...

A little power lunch so to speak (bowl, roast beef sammich, and a screwdriver)

Back to the good stuff:

Construction

Here I am adding the front facing that will support the doors.

Now I am preparing to anchor the base of the front framing of my cab to the floor to prevent it from being shifted. Hammer drill time! 24volt lithium Ion hammer drill is a fun toy when you need it.

Got to smile for the camera

Now I have installed the threshhold for the doors to close to, and where I will install some type of weather striping to seal it and block light leaks. This will be done to the whole perimeter of the front framing.

This is some styrofoam insulation that I have left over from another project at my old home. It has a film over the styrofoam that makes cleaning pretty easy, spray and wipe away. I thas an r value of approximately 6. I will be using this to line the walls. It is really dual purpose, one to make it more of a sealed container (as I had seams on the drywall from using leftover peices when I closed the walls up) and 2 to give a reflective surface to the room so I can make the most out of my 256 watt veg box. Now I have no further plans of finishing the basement so I am not about to waste my time taping and mudding.

All foam panels are glued in place using liquid nails, all seams in the drywall received a nice bead to aid in sealing them when the foam is applied to the wall.

The bottom is an exception to the liquid nails, I want it to be removable as after time it will get quite nasty. This is an r-6 barrier between the pots and my cement floor.

Now I need to install some hinges for my doors. These are some conceled hinges I had laying around and figured what better project could I use them for.

Another interlude before some clean up

Lighting

A little more to show n tell
    Here is some lights I picked up fairly cheap, 8 t8 6500k 32 watters and 2 quad ballasts.

This pic shows the modifications I must finish to enclose the ends and wiring on my cab. None of the bulbs will be visable when completed. Now when I wired this all up, I used and old pc cord and wired it to the ballasts. This will allow me to plug in my timer and plug the lights into that. The is a 15amp rated cord and a 15amp rated recepticle, the receptical is properly labeled to reflect it's rating on the cover plate.

Now with the exposed bulbs all enclosed.

Here I have my electrical roughed into my box, it is kind of a bad shot and hard to make out the wires hanging there.

This is the shot after I wired it in and switched the circuit on. No sparks, guess I did everything right! Again, I know what I am doing tapping a new line into my service panel, don't attempt this if you don't know what you are doing, it could kill you.

Here the lights are all installed and lit up on the circuit I just wired in.

Of course I had to put it to use since I am not able to work on it today. Inside is one seedling, 2 corn plants, one is rooted, the other is still in some solution I made.

And of course a front shot again

All thats left on the veg cab is to paint all the wood white.

sookieme

nice tidy work indeed

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

Very nice man...
    bigger than my area....

lots of luck....
    Growing weed is like watching grass grow

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 65/0
    Given: 136/1

Excellent work there well done. I have seen many many succesfull cabinet grows in my dayz. Great way to make good meds for anyone. And for all who think it is too hard to grow for yourself , too expensive , too difficult , this is how you can do it. Way to grow.

And best of luck with the new grow.
    Help me stop DSS delicate soul syndrome. We need volunteers to hug and hold all the delicate souls until we can heal them. Help us today! You can make a difference in someone's life. Tell them the truth.

Founder & Publisher of TY Marco Renda's Avatar

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 25/0
    Given: 2/0

What have you done for fresh air in and hot air out?

Take Care and Peace
    Marco

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 37/0
    Given: 6/1

I love seeing threads like this,it shows that anyone with even the smallest space can set-up a simple veg room.I do think that you need an intake & exhaust space as even t5,s & cfl,s can still kick off some heat obviously not as much as a hps but still it may get your temps to high.

Great job

skunk-mad.
    This is ten percent luck, twenty percent skill
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will
    Five percent pleasure, fifty percent pain
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

Remember the name Fort Minor

http://www.classic-cannabis-seed-company.co.uk

COMING SOON!!!

http://www.classic-cannabis-company.co.uk/

Thumbs Up/Down

I actually have 2 muffin fans venting it at this point. my temps are staying around 73-77 running for 24hr. An upgraded venting system will be in the works, eventually, just is finance limited. I still need to add seals to the door and paint some exposed wood inside the cab. It's a DIY as you can project . I plan on doing some work on it tomorrow after work.

Thumbs Up/Down

Was able to get a little painting done

Just a pic of the intake/exhaust

Thumbs Up/Down

Great work. This is just for veg or will you flower in there too?
    Help me stop DSS delicate soul syndrome. We need volunteers to hug and hold all the delicate souls until we can heal them. Help us today! You can make a difference in someone's life. Tell them the truth.

Thumbs Up/Down

This is just a veg box, I have materials to build a flower box on the other side of my basement. I'll be working with a height of 6ft. Hoping to get started on it tomorrow or sunday, but it won't be as quick of a build, and prolly not as cheap unfortunately . Still hunting for a working 400watt hps for it as well.

Thumbs Up/Down

6 foot is good enough for height in a cabinet type set up. Have you tried craigs list for lights? In my area (long way from you) there seems to be adds all the time. They seem to be a light used in industrial lighting or used to be I've seen 400's go for 50 bucks without light bulb. Hope you find something quick and cheap.

Thumbs Up/Down

I've been keeping an eye out, but everyone wants top dollar, I can pickup one from here for $55 - http://www.htgsupply.com/Product-400...allast-Kit.asp and it's brand new.

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by lightly_toasted
    I've been keeping an eye out, but everyone wants top dollar, I can pickup one from here for $55 - http://www.htgsupply.com/Product-400...allast-Kit.asp and it's brand new.
    Wow that is cheap compared to Canada prices.

Thumbs Up/Down

Well thats a no frills kit, just ballast and socket, no case, no reflector, no bulb. But if i was to convert a bay style, I would still have to purchase all that anyways.

Thumbs Up/Down

I ran a 430 W HPS in a 3 X 3 X 7 foot ghetto grow tent made out of black / white poly and 1 1/2 strapping and I got some great results with it. You should do well with a 400 W in a cabinet.

Thumbs Up/Down

I figure 400 should be ample for 4 girls in flower, just trying to squeeze in 6 this run because I need meds. All my extra med money is going into growing .

Vegetative Member

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 15/0
    Given: 2/0

I know I'd like to hear more about the components.
    Did you take existing fixtures apart for the end caps?
    That is where I have been at a loss to find or not looking for the right things.

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by undereducated View Post
    I know I'd like to hear more about the components.
    Did you take existing fixtures apart for the end caps?
    That is where I have been at a loss to find or not looking for the right things.
    I went cheap!!! I didn't have any money, and still don't. Fuck every one of you that has a deep wallet and piss off

Thumbs Up/Down

I still grow like some hermit in the hills....

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 102/0
    Given: 224/0

darn hermits grow the best meds
    Its a known fact if you vaporize a mite his soul becomes yours ...

Thumbs Up/Down

Well, hell yeah!!

Working on getting back there