Thread: Vortex Toppings

Seedling

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Default Vortex Toppings

I came across an article on "KindaGreenBuds" on Vortex stating that if I 'topped" early - i guess in Veg - i could have multiple heads giving close to 5 oz. (that might've been for outdoors). I just started 12/12 on (10)Vortex female clones and have not topped anything, but have pruned off smaller lower branches. Im indoor on a 4 x 8 shed in soil with 2 (1k) lights.

What wud u recommend - if anything at this point - as far as topping, and could you give a step-by-step of topping - is it just cutting off the highest biggest main branch a few inches down?

420grower

well Jonathon Goldsmith is the guy for this question,he has some very fine specimens of this strain as we speak,certainly he will chime in,peace

b0b_b1tch1n

i would recomend throwing up pics so we can watch them grow

but for real , ive never grown them so cant comment on topping , other then your already into 12/12 so i wouldnt do it now , i dont advise topping unless done a week but preferably 2 weeks before switching to 12/12 , it can and is being done all the time by others though

lots of air movement and good exhaust , air cooled hoodswould be very helpfull as well , two 1 k's will build quite an oven in a 4X8 space

best of luck , peace

p.s. as 420 mentioned Jonathon Goldsmith could realy be of help
    Last edited by b0b_b1tch1n; 03-05-2011 at 02:18 PM.

Seedling

Thumbs Up/Down

Default cooling questions

I have a 440 cpm pushing air thru ducting for the 2 (1k) coolTubes. Also a 170 ppm squirel fan pushing in cold air from a window. On this last fan, does anybody know if its a good idea to keep the temps low (50;s Farenheit) during "dark" period in the 12/12. How low do you go temp-wise during the dark time?

Seedling

Thumbs Up/Down

dont go lower than 16c,,,,,,,,,, you can gow lower mayb down to 11c but for how long not good idea.

get some heat source in your room on timers to keep temp 18c

Thumbs Up/Down

I cant say if Vortex works well topped, but I can say both Jillybean and Pandora's Box can either be topped or left to produce main cola only. I found with Jillybean untopped gave huge buds (1.5l Dasani bottles). I found Pandora's Box preforms better topped. I was able to get 8-12 tops on most of my Pandora's Box. I found TGA products grow well either way you grow em. Everything is as frosty as can be (thick trichs on the bottom of the fan leaves all the way down 10-12 nodes from the top). Only thing I have found with TGA is that the harvest window that their website suggests is too early for me, I perfer milky-amber trichs. If I was to harvest within the suggested window most of the trichs would still be clear, again it's just a guide line.

Not sure if your method of growing. I would advise not to raise the nurtient ppm above 1000 with TGA products. I use advanced nutrients and find if I go above 1000ppm I get slight burning. Less is more with Sub's gear. I figure this is due to the fact that he grows organically. Organics are more forgiving..

I would suggest making a grow log, I found you wont get many responses without the entire history of that grow so others can follow your progress and can then suggest recommendations based on what you have posted.

Good Luck on your grow.

Seedling

Thumbs Up/Down

Default Vortex probs

Thanks for the input woo. U can see how the bud is kind of "stringy"? Not sure if this is Vortex strained from Apollo 13-vortex or apollo 13 - space queen, but can U can see how the bud is kind of "stringy"?
    I got a very poor harvest weight-wise, with about an ounce - 1 1/2 oz using 2k of light and co2 in dirt in a 4 x 8 shed. The smoke quality is THE BEST, but for looks and size, ick...

[IMG][/IMG]

See how on the Sensi, the bud is tight:
    Last edited by SpiritFilled; 03-19-2011 at 04:00 PM.

Seedling

Thumbs Up/Down

Default more info

Thanx 4 all ur feedback: These are clones and their moms were also like this. Im not sure if they were apollo13/vortex or applo13/space queen (Vortex).
    5 gallon dirt pots. ran out of money so i couldnt buy what i usually do for soil: Coconut coir and foxfarm Ocean; just bot Miracle Gro cheapo stuff at Home Depot. I use Liquid Karma with ph controlled water but ph in soil test never got much below 6.8. Also Botanicare Pure Blend Pro for Soil and Bud XL (after Week 4).

I had excellent temps in mid-seventies (F); humidity in dark cycle all over the place, as its a cold winter: dry nite down in 20%; other times 50 and 70%. The Vortex were given the best spots directly under the lights, whiole the Sensi, which had nuggs that u cud put in a slingshot, were farther away. I had 10 plants in a 4x8 homebox; each plant in a 5 gallon pail (about 12 " across)

When i first put them i raised the height of the pots by putting containers under them so they were around 15 inches from lights. (Its difficult 4 me to lower the lights). Is that bad, ya think?

I also wud pour in Black Strap Mollases in with Nutes. Also I added Nutes with every watering. Should i alternate water, then nute, etc.?