Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/0
    Given: 2/0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Default interested in designing my own

An upcoming ''policy change'' here @ my uhm, ''dorm'', let's hail her; has me investigating various logistics to cobble out an adequate, yet improvable, ''sho-vap''

lack of financial liquidity in this current quarter have the purse strings closed tite for the forseeable future

can anyone spitball a bit with me and help me snoop out n understand the power theory for a magic launch box type application?

htf do they get a dc battery to power out without completing the circuit?

my assumption is that the pos end of the bat makes contact whre that energy is drawn off to a tiny tin heat sink system... what am i retarded on here? doesn't the neg end have to contact something as well?

my other questions would be

thoughts on tuning up a soldering iron with a reostat knob

& opi's on using Cold Heat soldering rig as the convection heat source

the 'encampment' is deciding that they'll keep the accessability to our OMP program open, just add a tighter sphyncter - soon, the ONLY OPTION herec in our RALF will be to eat, bumm, or vape ''on the grounds''...

I believe the spirit of the reform was to provide access to those who can't smoke and to aid those who need to use in their rooms;

the letter of the policy intends to quash my freedom to ''smoke'' my meds outdoors anywhere on the property, regardless of my proximity to the structure

I am not thrilled with any of the vape systems I've had the opportunity to try, granted - all lower end species; butt this here ALF venue isn't conducive to my ability o generate any frivolous bank

I'll find an avenue to roll, that there magic box mo/fo sure loox promising... maybe something similiar but custom'd to sit under the arm troph of my wheelchair

this chain of flesh warehouses best be on the toes as they implement this new world order... sure would be interesting to pontiicate a loophole; like when they don't specify, ''Convection'' or ''Flame Free'' vapes...

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

you assume a lot in your question to do something similar to the flight box! i have one and looked at it thoroughly and let me tell you it is an amazing little piece of wood and metal bits! i have figured out how they have done what they did and it is amazing!

can anyone spitball a bit with me and help me snoop out n understand the power theory for a magic launch box type application?

Sure i can pm me or do it here in open forum as i am an owner of a flight box and love it dearly!

htf do they get a dc battery to power out without completing the circuit?

it does complete and circuit, if it didnt you would get no heat! do you understand basic electricity? (not being an ass here just honestly asking.)

my assumption is that the pos end of the bat makes contact whre that energy is drawn off to a tiny tin heat sink system... what am i retarded on here? doesn't the neg end have to contact something as well?

the battery is what completes the circuit!

my other questions would be

thoughts on tuning up a soldering iron with a reostat knob

& opi's on using Cold Heat soldering rig as the convection heat source

http://herbiron.com/AM.php?/users/aw...110168&p=intro you are late on that bus but i am sure there is room in the market for a similar product because this guys nearest competitor is phedor and (damn the other name slips my mind) but they are 2 or 3 x times the herb iron price.
    Last edited by Snafu; 01-02-2011 at 04:30 PM.
    "Don't excuse yourself from life today on the pretense of your past. You're hurt you're broken, that's alright."

HBMT
    "if it were not for the bad times, the good times would go un-noticed"

on death and dying!
    "the loss is ours, not theirs, and we can face it as we wish!"

-Steve & Dana

Thumbs Up/Down

i would recommend just buying a magic flight launch box as they are hands down my favorite portable vape and can be used to smoke the whole plant and will do an awesome job with extracts! i have just returned home and have had to quite smoking so i am vape only now (unless i get the hair to smoke and shower thoroughly before i come home LOL)

peace and love man!
    Last edited by Snafu; 01-02-2011 at 04:35 PM.
    "Don't excuse yourself from life today on the pretense of your past. You're hurt you're broken, that's alright."

HBMT
    "if it were not for the bad times, the good times would go un-noticed"

on death and dying!
    "the loss is ours, not theirs, and we can face it as we wish!"

-Steve & Dana

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0
    Given: 1/0

I tried making a couple out of soldering irons with limited success.
    Other than that I have limited experience with anything other than the Volcano which I am very happy with.
    canadian medical marijuana exemptee

i use medical marijuana because i am untreatable by conventional methods.

"if theres anyone that i've failed to offend i'd like to apologize" abbey hoffman.

"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 881/0
    Given: 470/1

If you can get the $90-100 together for it, the box is going to be a lot easier than trying to make one yourself, and probably much safer than a home-made job as well. Not to mention you might not be able to make one for much less than they charge.

It uses an ultra-fine wire mesh that appears solid unless you look into a light through it - it's that fine. You're dealing with ~360F temps so from a safety standpoint it's not something you'd want to do wrong and from what I've read on various forums they spent quite a bit of time and money developing it with many models along the way until they got to where they are now.

On the bright side of it all, you can very literally use it in front of someone without them realizing what you're doing and when it's clean sans-battery virtually no one can tell what on earth it is.. although the website burned into the back is a bit of a giveaway

The battery makes contact at the positive end when you push it in, the negative contact is from a copper loop that touches the side of the batteries. Current flows along two copper wires supporting the mesh and the screen becomes a radiant heater, vaping the herb without scorching the wood. It looks simple but they put some work into it and they also include a lifetime functional warranty, which means even if you break or abuse the box they'll still replace it.

All in all it's quite amazing what it can do with a little AA.
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    Ceci n'est pas une signature du forum.
    Thank You for using S.h.a.d.i.m.a.r.: the world's most poorly coded chatbot.
    Substantially Humanlike Application Determined Insufficient Mediocre And Relatively annoying.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/0
    Given: 2/0

Default thanx zig'

as I was looking forward to a project much more than welcoming the impending shift towards a healthier mode of delivery

twistixed titely to the fact that obtaining the scratch to offset the purchase would need to be derived from one of these scenarios

A: squandry of the mutt's expense account - for 2 months
    B: an illegal transaction with a 1/2oz of my meds

and without hesitation, I'll humbly admit that science of any type - other than fiction - is all a shadowed mass of, ''but I thought...'', ''I've really no idea...'', and the sometimes helpful, ''I beg your pardon, can someone please tell me...'' (may I direct eyes back to referencing myself a 'tard' earlier in my o.p.)

please, yes; Snafu, if you'll be so kind to lead me to the light in the clear here, what I must engineer to generate the heat (ever since the 1st grade, when I cobbled togethor my 1st jury rigged flashlight, I THOUGHT that both ends (+ as well as -) needed a conductive surface seat (metal) in order to function...

my ''assuming much'' admonishes that I'm too shallow in theory

yet I am also left to infer from your re that it is no more complicated than my re-learning dc type battery discharge, to grasp that ONLY the POSITIVE pole needs a contact point...

or is there, as I asked, something else I am missing... inside

is there ringlet of metal, a circlet of studs possibly...

banded around the battery - inside the wooden box

NOT trying the anal impersonation here either, mate...

regarding the 'iron, I'm not out to market anything for distribution, cuz; just improvise a solution should the trustees present a request to evidence my access to vaporization, the link and branding for the competition assures me I'll be able to run with that if nothing else

I WOULD - very much - like to fall upon an Mbox, but this being reality n all - I'ma hoping that u r about to spark an epiphany in my addled mind

all I really ''KNEW'' know, about basic electricity, is the beat and preamble to the ''invocation of the Sparkie God''

without the li'l battery inscripts showing the nip' n fit - sheeeeeet bro;
    I'd be helpless to change them out, yo

edited to add: Hey, Shad'... Totaly sweet with the answer I doth seek!

T/Y
    Last edited by Shovelhead; 01-02-2011 at 09:33 PM.

Seedling

Thumbs Up/Down

It's not at all complicated.

There of course are two connections to the battery, one per terminal. What's throwing you off is that you fail to recognize the negative terminal is also the main casing, which the positive terminal is isolated from. Normally the casing would be isolated by an additional wrapper, which they've removed.

You need a battery with good output because you're effectively placing a dead short across it, and like a lightbulb, the resistance will increase slightly as it heats up. The screen forms a simple resistive heating element, and it employs radiative, conductive and convection heating.

Radiative is kind of like a lightbulb or an open flame. Convection is considered partially active in this case. Active means forced air. There's no fan or anything and you control the airflow and overall temp with your puffing action which draws air through it.... hence, partially active.

Now, we get to the more interesting part, heat conduction. That's a form of transmission which is passed through a material, as with water through a pipe. The screen itself spreads heat this way, across itself and into everything it's in direct contact with. That includes your ground up herb, and it includes connection points which bring current flow from the battery through it.

Obviously you want a fine stainless steel mesh screen. If it's too big, it will form too great a conductor, and rather than heat resistivity, it will stay cool and form a dead short. There's no trick here, you simply need a fine mesh.

The tricky part is what connects it to the battery. Lunchbox uses copper clad steel rods. Why? Basic physics. Steel is not a very good conductor of electricity, nor of heat. Copper is. If you used plain steel rods, you'd have a problem getting the required current flow to the screen to be able to heat it, as you want the screen forming the main resistance of the circuit and not the rods that connect it.

If you used pure copper, you'd indeed have the screen as the main resistance allowing it to heat. But, the copper is also a highly efficient heat conductor, so it would wick the heat away as fast as it was created, and dump it into the body of the battery. Once again your screen never heats and you've formed probably an evern better short.

So what's required are the steel rods to form the bulk of the connection which kind of isolates the thermal path of the screen to the battery, allowing the screen to heat, while the copper cladding over the steel allows for efficient current flow, but not enough heat flow to suck all the heat from the screen.

And that is it... big deal.

It's really nice for people to be able to say "I've figured it out and it's magic.... you should buy one".... which helps nobody. If you can't answer, don't bother.

The only hard part in assembling it is the screen has to be spot welded to the copper clad bars. You can build your own little spot welder with a transformer from a microwave oven.

You could do a far better power source than a battery if you make your own too, or at least use something to step up the voltage from it.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 94/1
    Given: 8/0

Nice job Chill,,,,,, so wiith this all in mind,,, how can I use the vap element on a e-cigarette to vape when applied to say,,,, a small one hitter?
    Would be cool,,, it turns on when ya puff it,,,, use it like a lighter somehow,,,

Thx R

Seedling

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by ROLNĂŤK
    Nice job Chill,,,,,, so wiith this all in mind,,, how can I use the vap element on a e-cigarette to vape when applied to say,,,, a small one hitter?
    Would be cool,,, it turns on when ya puff it,,,, use it like a lighter somehow,,,

Thx R

Don't know, I haven't actually seen one. It might be possible or easiest to resuse the mechanics of it though, but something in me asks if a one hit vape would be worth the effort. Something like the MFLB is simple, minimal effort, and at least you can smoke it for longer than you spend loading it.

However, I talked to one guy who said he's a chemist and could make a liquid THC solution that would operate with an E-Cig as it's designed. But I'm not a chemist and I'd rather some decent flavor to the hit, without having it all pharmaceutically processed and stripped down.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 94/1
    Given: 8/0

Quote Originally Posted by chillzpls
    Don't know, I haven't actually seen one. It might be possible or easiest to resuse the mechanics of it though, but something in me asks if a one hit vape would be worth the effort. Something like the MFLB is simple, minimal effort, and at least you can smoke it for longer than you spend loading it.

However, I talked to one guy who said he's a chemist and could make a liquid THC solution that would operate with an E-Cig as it's designed. But I'm not a chemist and I'd rather some decent flavor to the hit, without having it all pharmaceutically processed and stripped down.
    I dig it,,, I didn't want to use oil either,,, just thought iffn ya could use the heating element as a stand alone,, you could somehow vape a bolw a lil at a time,or a one hitter. the e-cig must have a smaller heat element that maybe can be changed. Auto lighting system,,, just a thought,,, only had a couple hits from a flight-box once.

Thx R.

Seedling

Thumbs Up/Down

Those of the heating element variety seem to use a piece of nichrome wire that's coiled up around a high temp wick.

That would allow very little wire while offering good surface area exposure and be rather efficient at vaporizing.

You're in a different ballgame with actual plant matter, that would require more wire, likely also requiring more current to reach the same kind of temps.

You could easily get yourself some nichrome wire and try something out, but I think in the end if you maintained your goal of a one hitter that's portable, and found an optimal solution, it would pretty much look like the MFLB.

Hard to get any simpler than that.