Seedling

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Default Vortex problems -buds puffy, not hard

Hi Sub! Im a longtime believer in the TGA line. I wound up with two females Aplollo 13 x Vortex, and they look like your pics, but both main colas feel very spongy; kinda like hermeed, but not. I took a lower branch at Week 6 and WOW!, it's great effect-wise, but the nature of the beast's buds confuses me. I've got other ten plants doing OK, but the nuggs on only my Vortex won't get hard. I'm in a 4 x 8 shed that did have a slight light-leak for the first few days of 12/12, but after fixing it none of the other plants show any detrimental growth.

Any thoughts? I'm running 2k HPS for 12/12 and I doubt I'll get more than an oz from one, maybe twice that from the other.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 4/0

So many factors its really hard to trouble shot and its always possible you got 2 A-13 Dom varieties its not a hard budded plant but we pull 4-6 zipps of my Vortex and you could shoot the buds with a sling shot. They do tend to add most of the weight at the end but we just ran 18 females through our bud room and every single plant was a keeper. The Cutting that won the cup was deff more soft of a bud than mine though very Cindy like.

The main key may be week 6 things aint done till there done

Sub
    Subcool Genetic Support

Subcool is the author of Dank: The Quest for the Very Best Marijuana

Seedling

Thumbs Up/Down

Default vortex probs

Im in Day 55 today and will probably harv 2day or morrow. Was able to get cuttings cloned and will be back in 8 weeks with grow reports on those future Vortexins. Hopefully will have pics in day or two

Seedling

Thumbs Up/Down

Default flav produced well

My pics lack adequate definition to be of much use. I am SO IMPRESSED with the effect of Vortex/Apollo 13. The Flav is an Ok smoke as well, and i think u can sense the higher indica factor in her. I got excellent weight off The Flav (around 4zips eAch), and I'm wondering if using alot of sticks to support each of those gangly arms Flav gives you might be a way of producing good harvest weight w/o it taking up so much room, as its branches flop out quite a bit.
    I'll have to order seeds again as had poor cloning session with these.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0
    Given: 1/0

Are you supplying enough fresh air?
    canadian medical marijuana exemptee

i use medical marijuana because i am untreatable by conventional methods.

"if theres anyone that i've failed to offend i'd like to apologize" abbey hoffman.

"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."

Seedling

Thumbs Up/Down

Default fresh air

Yes, i believe so. I'm ventilating using ductwork into and out of two 1000k cooltubes, and have a separate blower (270 dpi) blowing in the cold night air to keep temp in the 70s without having to use a/c inside the shed. I cant do this in the warm months without a/c.
    So i dont think the airflow is the prob. Im on second grow as we speak with Vortex clones, and i think i suffered a slight "light-leak" in the first two weeks of that last "spongy" vortex, so i'll know in 6-7 weeks what's what on that.

I was impressed with the harvest weight of the Flav, but couldnt get clones from her.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 37/0
    Given: 6/1

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritFilled
    Hi Sub! Im a longtime believer in the TGA line. I wound up with two females Aplollo 13 x Vortex, and they look like your pics, but both main colas feel very spongy; kinda like hermeed, but not. I took a lower branch at Week 6 and WOW!, it's great effect-wise, but the nature of the beast's buds confuses me. I've got other ten plants doing OK, but the nuggs on only my Vortex won't get hard. I'm in a 4 x 8 shed that did have a slight light-leak for the first few days of 12/12, but after fixing it none of the other plants show any detrimental growth.

Any thoughts? I'm running 2k HPS for 12/12 and I doubt I'll get more than an oz from one, maybe twice that from the other.

With 2k hps you should have easily pulled 3-6oz from each plant.Will the clones you took not grow like the mother you took them from? im only asking because you may have had a certain undesirable pheno? & will that not transfer to the cuttings?.

skunk-mad.
    This is ten percent luck, twenty percent skill
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will
    Five percent pleasure, fifty percent pain
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

Remember the name Fort Minor

http://www.classic-cannabis-seed-company.co.uk

COMING SOON!!!

http://www.classic-cannabis-company.co.uk/

Seedling

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by skunk-mad
    With 2k hps you should have easily pulled 3-6oz from each plant.Will the clones you took not grow like the mother you took them from? im only asking because you may have had a certain undesirable pheno? & will that not transfer to the cuttings?.

skunk-mad.
    Yes, the (undesirable) traits will copy, but if the spongy buds came from the light-leak that I believe existed in the first 10 days of 12/12, then it won't. But I won't know till i get close to harv.
    If so, i may goto seed again with TGA. I like the Vortex sativa, and will take any recomendations for a similar strain...

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 37/0
    Given: 6/1

Yes, the (undesirable) traits will copy, but if the spongy buds came from the light-leak that I believe existed in the first 10 days of 12/12, then it won't. But I won't know till i get close to harv.
    If so, i may goto seed again with TGA. I like the Vortex sativa, and will take any recomendations for a similar strain...

have you tried the chocolope strain that is a great sativa in my opinion probably the best ive come across.

best off luck

skunk-mad.
    This is ten percent luck, twenty percent skill
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will
    Five percent pleasure, fifty percent pain
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

Remember the name Fort Minor

http://www.classic-cannabis-seed-company.co.uk

COMING SOON!!!

http://www.classic-cannabis-company.co.uk/

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/1

Default its a little more sativa

how do the leafs look, very wide or long and narrow?
    the sativa is a fluffy plant.
    definatly makes you wonder till you smoke it!!
    i love the sativas, i have energy issues after the brain surgery!
    peace
    bp
    peace to who all read
    there will be a day when cannabis is accepted as a helpful drug. so that everyone may take advantage
    Brainpain

Thumbs Up/Down

Default light leak!

have you found any banannas yet? they are pollen sacks shaped like a bananna. light leaking into a flower room causes this. actually i do this on purpose from time to time. usually just a couple hrs a night for 3 nights, very little light! about 10 days later i find the little banannas and collect then. this pollen will make female seeds 100% of the time. ive had no problems yet and its been 5 yrs.
    i dont believe the spongy bud was caused by light leak. ive never heard of such a thing. light leak causes other problems. how much light was leakin into the flwr rm?
    take care
    bp

peace to who all read
    there will be a day when cannabis is accepted as a helpful drug. so that everyone may take advantage
    Brainpain

Thumbs Up/Down

Default i would bring my temps up

plants thrive on warmer temps, they will take up more neuts. also!!
    i like to run my rm at at least 80 to 90 degrees. plants are always far enough away from light not to cause damage. they will take more food and grow bigger with more heat. the root ball is very important. what color ate the roots when you transplant! they should be a brilliant white! for the best growing available. brown root hairs are not very good!!
    lights should be moved up daily! loads of growth!! you have 10000 watt bulbs
    man you should be growin some serious cannabis.
    i honestly believe the spongy plant is because of gennetics and not you. its very tricky and so easy to skrew up!
    warm it up, be ready with the food and never over feed.
    i use organics and 430 watts of hps only one and my buds are wow.
    very large and i do believe it because the way i care for them!
    its very time consuming and i can never leave for more than a day at a time.
    sucks really but it beats the dibilitating pain i endure!
    how do you feel about your buds, are they what you expect?
    peace
    bp

Yes, i believe so. I'm ventilating using ductwork into and out of two 1000k cooltubes, and have a separate blower (270 dpi) blowing in the cold night air to keep temp in the 70s without having to use a/c inside the shed. I cant do this in the warm months without a/c.
    So i dont think the airflow is the prob. Im on second grow as we speak with Vortex clones, and i think i suffered a slight "light-leak" in the first two weeks of that last "spongy" vortex, so i'll know in 6-7 weeks what's what on that.

I was impressed with the harvest weight of the Flav, but couldnt get clones from her.
    peace to who all read
    Brainpain

Thumbs Up/Down

I find the most important thing for tight buds is. Proper amount of co2, not allowing the containers too get too dry in between waterings. Proper amount of Light. good amount of air circulation to blow around the plants (simulating breeze). Carbo or Molassas to help bulking known to increase by 10-20%. Right amount of food will be necessary to build strong buds, being careful not to under or over feed (boils down to experience with a strain). Some people including myself use another bulking additive such as bigbud, pk13/14, kushy kush, DNF bloom fortifier (I do a good flush with R/0 and clearing solution at the end to remove any access salt build up). I find myself rarely going above 1200ppm solutions. With new strains I tend to increase the ppm/ec slowly each week until I see the very first signs of tip burn, then i give a good watering with r/o and 1/2 strength clearing solution, next feeding I would back off the feed solution a couple hundred ppm and continue feeding at that reduced rate.

Seedling

Thumbs Up/Down

Default spongy harvest w/Vortex; ok w/sensi

This is the sensi:
    http://img405.imageshack.us/i/sensi2.jpg/
    these are all Vortex, less than 2 oz per plant; but there mom's were the same way.
    http://img861.imageshack.us/i/59788473.jpg/

http://img222.imageshack.us/i/16966166.jpg/

http://img228.imageshack.us/i/61562495.jpg/

The camera is not picking up the brown hairs. She was done and colorful enuf. The smoke is great.

These are clones and their moms were also like this. Im not sure if they were apollo13/vortex or applo13/space queen (Vortex).
    5 gallon dirt pots. ran out of money so i couldnt buy what i usually do for soil: Coconut coir and foxfarm Ocean; just bot Miracle Gro cheapo stuff at Home Depot. I use Liquid Karma with ph controlled water but ph in soil test never got much below 6.8. Also Botanicare Pure Blend Pro for Soil and Bud XL (after Week 4).
    Two 1k coolTubes, 4x8 Homebox, CO2, 440 and 170 squirekl fans w/ducting

I had excellent temps in mid-seventies (F); humidity in dark cycle all over the place, as its a cold winter: dry nite down in 20%; other times 50 and 70%. The Vortex were given the best spots directly under the lights, whiole the Sensi, which had nuggs that u cud put in a slingshot, were farther away. I had 10 plants in a 4x8 homebox; each plant in a 5 gallon pail (about 12 " across)

When i first put them i raised the height of the pots by putting containers under them so they were around 15 inches from lights. (Its difficult 4 me to lower the lights). Is that bad, ya think?

I also wud pour in Black Strap Mollases in with Nutes. Also I added Nutes with every watering. Should i alternate water, then nute, etc.?
    Last edited by SpiritFilled; 03-21-2011 at 12:05 AM.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 9/0
    Given: 65/0

good question about feeding, if what i heard what right... in dirt its water, water, feed. i liked using molasses in waterings sometimes because at 2.5ml/L it perfectly ph balanced my ro water, lols.
    Thanks to google and youtube I managed to fabricate all the above words together to sound like Im growing, but Im not, never have, and even with a MMAR card I never will, so there! P.S. I loves my prozac and ridalin, om nom nom, moar plz....