Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0
    Given: 0/0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lightbulb Smoked cannabis for chronic neuropathic pain a randomized controlled trial

Published online ahead of print August 30, 2010
    CMAJ 10.1503/cmaj.091414

Original Article

Smoked cannabis for chronic neuropathic pain: a randomized controlled trial

Mark A. Ware 1, Tongtong Wang 2, Stan Shapiro 2, Ann Robinson 3, Thierry Ducruet 3, Thao Huynh 4, Ann Gamsa 5, Gary J. Bennett 5, Jean-Paul Collet 6
    1 The Department of Anesthesia, the Department of Family Medicine, McGill University, Montréal, Que.
    2 The Department of Epidemiology, Biostatistics and Occupational Health, McGill University, Montréal, Que.
    3 Boreal Primum, Montréal, Que.
    4 The Department of Medicine, McGill University, Montréal, Que.
    5 The Alan Edwards Centre for Research on Pain, McGill University, Montréal, Que.
    6 The Centre for Applied Health Research and Evaluation, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC

Abstract

Background: Chronic neuropathic pain affects 1%–2% of the adult population and is often refractory to standard pharmacologic treatment. Patients with chronic pain have reported using smoked cannabis to relieve pain, improve sleep and improve mood.

Methods: Adults with post-traumatic or postsurgical neuropathic pain were randomly assigned to receive cannabis at four potencies (0%, 2.5%, 6% and 9.4% tetrahydrocannabinol) over four 14-day periods in a crossover trial. Participants inhaled a single 25-mg dose through a pipe three times daily for the first five days in each cycle, followed by a nine-day washout period. Daily average pain intensity was measured using an 11-point numeric rating scale. We recorded effects on mood, sleep and quality of life, as well as adverse events.

Results: We recruited 23 participants (mean age 45.4 [standard deviation 12.3] years, 12 women [52%]), of whom 21 completed the trial. The average daily pain intensity, measured on the 11-point numeric rating scale, was lower on the prespecified primary contrast of 9.4% v. 0% tetrahydrocannabinol (5.4 v. 6.1, respectively; difference = 0.7, 95% confidence interval [CI] 0.02–1.4). Preparations with intermediate potency yielded intermediate but nonsignificant degrees of relief. Participants receiving 9.4% tetrahydrocannabinol reported improved ability to fall asleep (easier, p = 0.001; faster, p < 0.001; more drowsy, p = 0.003) and improved quality of sleep (less wakefulness, p = 0.01) relative to 0% tetrahydrocannabinol. We found no differences in mood or quality of life. The most common drug-related adverse events during the period when participants received 9.4% tetrahydrocannabinol were headache, dry eyes, burning sensation in areas of neuropathic pain, dizziness, numbness and cough.

Conclusion::

A single inhalation of 25 mg of 9.4% tetrahydrocannabinol herbal cannabis three times daily for five days reduced the intensity of pain, improved sleep and was well tolerated.

Further long-term safety and efficacy studies are indicated. (International Standard Randomised Controlled Trial Register no. ISRCTN68314063)

http://www.cmaj.ca/cgi/content/abstr...urcetype=HWCIT

LEQ

A Chronic Pain Patient for the last 30 years

An out patient for this Chronic Pain Centre at McGill
    Léglaliser, Règlementé, Éduquer et Soigner

Liberé Marc Emery de prison dans l'état de Georgia puis retouner lui au Canada pour server son temps pas loin de son èpouse Jodie

One Compassionate Act per Day

Fieldstone

I would have to concur on this . Ive had bad nueropathies since 84 . Havnt been able to flex left side bicept or calf since i was 24 . Ataxia since then . Over half my life . When they put the old shock machine to my feet it does nothing what so ever but heat up my skin because they act like its a new toy and start machine gunning the instrument . Are ya new or what Drs ? Multipul drs do this to me . The reason i had to stop taking it orally is because my life force was saverly weak about to check on out . Heck , i'd breath my bottom lip in . Cannabis orally actually would flare up my nerves and fibro and dystonia badly. . Made it hard to touch anything , collapsed looking viens .. lol. Then with the MSA i have i couldnt lean or move without rushing out doing funky chicken moves on the toilet and about the house .. Even sitting down . So in my experience smoking helps over ingesting depending how sick you are . Hard to take deep breaths when you continually sufficate and cant get that full lung feeling .. I got so low i would complain about having to smoke it too . Im low temp , low flow . lol. Orally it made my tongue sensitive like my toes and fingertips. Talking caused throat to burn .Still can .. Especially a whole bowl to feel anything . I cant stand that . Im ready to give it a try again since im comming back to life . Someday .....we will dance again mary ! Till then like this story says , I will be gladly smoking ............So far i have removed the pad my feet sat on for years recently and bought an instrument . its nice to touch again . and i feel ' like smoking right now . later ..........

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0

Default shock

fieldstone
    This shock test that you had is it the nerve conductiviity test . If so its medieval.
    Joe
    Last edited by average joe; 06-10-2011 at 08:23 AM.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0

Quote Originally Posted by average joe
    fieldstone
    This shock test that you had is it the nerve conductiviity test . If so its medieval.
    Joe
    I had this test done multiple times in both legs before my spinal cord surgery. It f*cking hurts, and it feels like torture... So yeah, medieval is the appropriate word.

Flowering Member

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 19/0

medievil but they still use it, must be cheap.