Vegetative Member

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Default throttling and capping

I think it is a bit of a ripoff that cable companies offer high speeds but then severely limit by capping your bandwidth. they also tell you that you can have 60 gigs a month. but, they do not emphasize or go into any detail to explain that the 60 gigs is a combined down/upload number. typically for every bite downloaded your also uploading, so as an example if you downloaded 10 gigs, there is also a corresponding upload involved and your overall figure would be more like 15 gigs used. my ISP also charges 1.50 more for each gig in excess of your cap. If you just do some fairly light
    streaming of video,e.g. youtube and some music / radio streaming, it is very easy to consume 2 Gigs within a couple of hours. now if you want to download a film or something that is like another gig or 2 you could double your usage easily, and that would result in an additional fee approx. 100 dollars over your monthly internet fee.
    I am just about fedup and ready to find such a ridiculous service that offers high speeds but places arbitrary unreasonably strict limits of 60 gigs.
    ok, so I tried it ..speeds are good..but I'm always looking over my shoulder to see if I am over my limit...that sucks!! I'm going to leave that company and it's too bad because they will lose all my business. because if I have to drop their internet, then I will lose the package deal, phone, tv, and net. so, I have no reason to stay with them if no package deal. tv is such crap anyway, I only keep it for the kids, and rarely watch anymore.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 538/2
    Given: 315/0

Fortunately SaskTel doesn't cap their DSL lines, nor do they throttle them. It's also the most reliable ISP I've had over the years.

The worst I'd had was Rogers in the Mississauga, which went down every 2-3 days for 2-3 days at a time.

Or maybe the worst was in Delaware, where the only option was AT&T dialup -- at 28.8K. (There are towns in Delaware that have actually passed bylaws banning high speed because they don't want "those kind" of people in their little town.)
    I do not fail -- I succeed at finding out what does not work.

Canadian Federal Exemptee Richi420's Avatar

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/0

The internet provider I have doesnt cap the bandwidth either. Out of North America, Canada does have it the best,thats foresure. I've had quite a few differant internet providers,and Sasktel is one of the best I've had but the provider I have now is really good too. Bell was the worst and cogeco is just a bit better then bell and never had Rogers as I knew too many people with bad experiences with them.
    yeha noha

Treat the earth and all of her aspects as your mother. Show deep respect for the mineral world, the plant world, and the animal world. Do nothing to pollute our Mother, rise up with wisdom to defend her.

Thumbs Up/Down

I find that there is always more choices that the most recognizable ones.
    Rogers and bell as examples do the most marketing but there not the best by a long shot. and many people use them but by far they are far from the best. Actuallu

Thumbs Up/Down

I find that there is always more choices than the most recognizable ones.
    Rogers and bell as examples do the most marketing but there not the best by a long shot. With these large Corp ISP your getting corralled into many things which are unfair for sure. Things like multi-year contracts, this is ridiculous, anyone should be able to end there service with out a penalty.These are ethically and morally wrong.

Then there is of course the many topics of this thread which center around bandwidth limiting.These techniques simply allow more subscribers access during peak times by sharing the available bandwidth instead of dedicating the contractual bandwidth which your paying for 24/7 . So it increasing revenue for the companies by degrading the the performance of the individuals connection.

again this is ethically and morally wrong but economically its business as usually.

Now enough about BIG CORP ISP. Like I started out with by saying
    " there is always more choices than the most recognizable ones"

I have a few friends that are well versed in the role and obligations of the modern ISP and its a lot different than you would think. There is a few shining examples of FLAG WAVERS with in the sea of ISP available to day in Canada. The hard part is finding them and figuring out if there services are available in your area of course.

I have found that www.canadianisp.ca
    is great for this that reviews and checks for availability in your area..

now many of the companies that you buy service from will actually be a middle man between bell and you. So this sounds a little strange really. Why not go right to bell right. Well there are some really good reasons not to go direct to bell but actually buy from a third party.

Bell and rogers bottle neck there service and impose some serious rules which don't usually effect the light user but really hinder the performance of aggressive down-loaders, online gamers and other users via there bandwidth limitings.

so how can using a third party ISP that is just reselling bell or rogers work then right.

Well some of these third party companies DON'T restrict ,throttle , cap or bottle neck there connection in anyway. They have contracts to resell the rogers or bell ISP but not all the same rules and problems come along to the customer. Of course your not being told its actually ROGERS or Bell services that your buying. Its just marketed as their own ISP and to a certain extent it is ,as they do have to have servers and loads of rooms with equipment, systems and technicians.

Ok back to how it effect users.
    So some ISP are different and can offer you a service that's a little different from the rest in regards to the bandwidth restrictions.

Why would these ISP do this?
    Well I am not sure why of them do this sort of thing but I can tell you about a few that I have read about. There is one amazing ISP with its home base in CHATHAM but there services stretch all over ontario and beyond. The difference between this company and most of the others is they are really fighting for OUR rights. I don't want to put there name in here as it really is like spamming and I don't want to do that, not that I have any affiliations at all.
    Anyway this particular ISP has been fighting the legislature and queens park for over ten years. They have been on the national news many time fighting back against BELL AND ROGERS .

These two companies have such a monopoly on the industry that their lobby groups have swayed the government to allow such practices as throttling and capping among other things which decrease user performance.

With hold outs like the company I mentioned above and a small hand full of other similar like minded ISP, things are not all lost.

There are other reasons why third party ISP,s are so important as well. One of the most important being SECURITY. When you hear the word security together with computer what you get conjured up in your minds eye is usually some 9 head hydra with a USB plug on the end of its tail. In other words Virus's but that's not the kind of security I'm speaking about. This same company I referenced above has come out in interviews stating that they refuse to hand over search logs of clients or any information about there clients with out a warrant. The laws were put to the test as well just last year and the company stood to there word.

Many ISP,s are very happy to hand over any information LEO wants even though it infringes on the privacy laws

Anyway lots to think about and you don't always get what you pay for by a long shot. I have always had a strong Aversion to greed in the form or LARGE CORPORATIONS. When ever possible I try my best to stay with in the boundaries of Independents and underdog companies.

There is so much to be written and said about BIG CORPs and I'm not about to even try.

My favorite say ever is " generosity breed entitlement "

its a saying that really applies to so many situations.

in this situation you could say that we have been generously paying or ISP bills year after year while the rates have stayed about the same or even increased. The companies have been taking our money but from what it seems the speed has not been getting much faster. Actually its even getting slower and we are being told that we have to pay extra if we download to much.
    So basically the companies feel entitled to take or money and give us below par service . It doesn't look like much will change as long as people choose to stay with these BIG Corporations.\\

time for a change, boycott BIG BOX,FAST FOOD,BIG CORP, BIG PHARMA and other planet robbing family crushing greed machines..

Yes Im an idealist