Kathy

Default The Electronic Cigarette

I'd seen information and ads for electronic cigarettes and decided I wanted to try one to help quit smoking cigarettes. Then I found out they were banned in Canada.

When I went to the 420 store to get the VTower, they were selling electronic cigarettes, so i got one. They deliver nicotine through a cartridge. It was $100.

I've tried it and it is pretty amazing. You get the satifsfaction of smoking, including the dragging, a tiny puff of smoke, and the feel of nicotine. Plus it glows at the end when you drag on it.

It is rechargable and plugs into the computer with a USB. When the battery gets low, the glowy end flashes.

When I first saw the ads for them i wanted one of those sleek things that Natasha would have used in Rocky and Bullwinkle, but I didn't have a choice. It just looks like a cigarette.

So far i can see that it will be helpful in quitting and probably less money than I would have to spend on patches if I went that way.

And NO, you cannot use them to vape. That's what everybody asks.

Vegetative Member

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I dunno about that as a technique for quitting...because of the hand to mouth thing. I have a great deal of experience with quitting tobacco, did it a few times before I managed to have success. I think that device sounds like another gimmick or novelty. the nicotine patch can and does work, but the most important ingredient to success is personal resolve. best wishes Kath.

Thumbs Up/Down

Good luck with the cigarettes Kathy. I don't smoke tobacco but that thing sounds like fun.
    Time Flies Like an Arrow. Fruit Flies Like a Banana.
    Choose your thoughts carefully. astuc.ca

Embryo

Thumbs Up/Down

Default I am glad to see TY is still strong and growing

I a happy to see a few old members here and many news ones. This electronic cigarette has helped a lot of people I know quit smoking cigarettes. Keep up the good work Marco. peace and happiness to everyone here. Cadillac...still rollin

Thumbs Up/Down

i tried one once and it was cool but not for me.

this is from the FDA

http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/S.../ucm173327.htm

Electronic Cigarettes

Audience: Pediatric healthcare professionals and consumers

[Posted 07/22/2009] FDA notified healthcare professionals and patients that a laboratory analysis of electronic cigarette samples has found that they contain carcinogens and toxic chemicals such as diethylene glycol, an ingredient used in antifreeze. Electronic cigarettes, also called “e-cigarettes,” are battery-operated devices that generally contain cartridges filled with nicotine, flavor and other chemicals. The electronic cigarette turns nicotine, which is highly addictive, and other chemicals into a vapor that is inhaled by the user. These products are marketed and sold to young people and are readily available online and in shopping malls. They are also available in different flavors, such as chocolate and mint, which may appeal to young people.

The FDA’s Division of Pharmaceutical Analysis analyzed the ingredients in a small sample of cartridges from two leading brands of electronic cigarettes. In one sample, the FDA’s analyses detected diethylene glycol, a chemical used in antifreeze that is toxic to humans, and in several other samples, the FDA analyses detected carcinogens, including nitrosamines. These products do not contain any health warnings comparable to FDA-approved nicotine replacement products or conventional cigarettes. Because these products have not been submitted to the FDA for evaluation or approval, at this time the agency has no way of knowing, except for the limited testing it has performed, the levels of nicotine or the amounts or kinds of other chemicals that the various brands of these products deliver to the user.

Health care professionals and consumers may report serious adverse events (side effects) or product quality problems with the use of e-cigarettes to the FDA's MedWatch Adverse Event Reporting program either online, by regular mail, fax or phone.
    Judge the deed and NOT the breed.
    Help Save The American Pit Bull Terrier

Embryo

Thumbs Up/Down

Default chemicals such as diethylene glycol, an ingredient used in antifreeze.

WOW an ingredient in antifreeze sure is not healty if that is really in it. It may be true it is in there but you know not to rely on the FDA. You surely know what a bad reputation they have. My friend that quit smoking cigarettes told me he put some kinds of flavored drops in it and when he exhaled it was water vapor. He got in trouble with his sons school teacher because his son kept going to school reaking like an ashtray from his dads cigarette smoking. His son is only 14. There should be a law against smoking in a car with a child with no choice to be there and most people do not even have enough class to roll the windows down while smoking in the car with kids. The teacher actually thought his son was smoking because he stunk so bad from the smoke. His dad should have better sence. He paid 70.00 for the smoking tube and does not smoke cigs now and he is supposed to quit the tube smoking soon. He smoked 2 packs a day and the tube paid for itself the first week. I quit visiting in his house a long time ago because I reaked so bad after visiting only 1/2 an hour. I always had to bath again and change clothes after a short visit there. Now I can visit my friend again. Second hand cigarette smoke is known to be worse than first hand smoke. It made me hack after visiting him when he smoked, he never let one go out. I smoked when cigs were 55 cents a pack in the mid 1970s. LOL Good luck to all who want to quit cigs. each to his own. peace to all. Cadillac

Seedling

Thumbs Up/Down

While some e-cigarettes contain diethlyene glycol, others use the apparently safer propylene glycol. You can find info via your favorite search engine. Many e-cigarettes seem to be products of China. Not surprising, but with the issues they've had with product quality one must use some discernment.

Here's a link to a Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for pharmaceutical grade propylene glycol. Ironically the only hazard associated with is seems to be via inhalation.

http://www.oltchim.ro/en/uploaded/MP..._rev.6_eng.pdf

Kathy

Thanks for all the input everyone. I'd quit for 10 years and then started again. I've recently been motivated by the flu that is going around that some doctors are saying is H1N1, to set a 6 month quitting date. So April 23 is it. Meanwhile i can use that thing sparingly to get through the nicotine withdrawl. I tried Welbutrin (Zyban) once to quit but it gave me tremors. It did work however. As long as I took it I had no desire to smoke. I had to stop taking it though. I believe it is Dopamine in Wellbutrin that causes the tremors. There's a price to pay for everything.

Vegetative Member

Thumbs Up/Down

Hey Kathy, I've not researched it, but have u given consideration that many here have used the healing herb to successfully leave behind such nasty things as narcotics....if cannabis is powerful enuff to allow one to walk away from morphine and oxy, it seems like a no brainer to give it a try. I would cook up a batch of strong cannabutter, and make strong cookies. now use these, along with whatever other tricks you've got and stick to your guns. this is of course just a friendly feedback suggestion and I could be way off base, but we're here to bounce idea's off. take care.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 538/2
    Given: 315/0

Quote Originally Posted by warmlite
    Hey Kathy, I've not researched it, but have u given consideration that many here have used the healing herb to successfully leave behind such nasty things as narcotics....if cannabis is powerful enuff to allow one to walk away from morphine and oxy, it seems like a no brainer to give it a try. I would cook up a batch of strong cannabutter, and make strong cookies. now use these, along with whatever other tricks you've got and stick to your guns. this is of course just a friendly feedback suggestion and I could be way off base, but we're here to bounce idea's off. take care.
    I've tried that myself, but I found that the act of smoking the tokes was reminding me of having a cigarette without getting the nicotine rush, so for me it actually made withdrawal worse. Mind you, I have yet to succeed at quitting. Thinking about giving it another shot tomorrow (not tonight -- I've got a cold and I'm already feeling miserable so I definitely don't want to throw nic fits at myself on top of it!)
    I do not fail -- I succeed at finding out what does not work.

Thumbs Up/Down

I ordered an e-cig off af a website, it was pure crap; luckily it had a 1 month return policy on it. So I did some research on the internet about these things. In the end I made my own e-cig device, with a trip to radioshack and DIY stuff around the house I was ready. The device has helped me to stop using cigarettes, and now I don't puff on the e-cig nearly as much as I used to. Because it's vapor, it can dry your throat out pretty easily if you don't have a water by your side, but it hurt less then a cigarette when sick. That report from the FDA is poop. I am sure there are some liquid nicotines that contain that harmful glycol, but there are plenty that don't; you just gotta shop at the right places. The FDA just doesn't like this because people are buying these thing like hot cakes to help quit or have a healthier habit and the FDA and the companies, that produce the products to help quit smoking, aren't seeing any money from the e-cig sales

Sorry for that long rambling, it happens when I medicate sometimes.
    "boy that's really unheard of, when you get more time for sellin dope than murder" -YJ

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0

Ermmm.... Technically you haven't stopped because your still dosing up with the main addictive ingredient. The "Vapour" is Nicotine. You would be far better off on nicotine patches for a short while.

When I stopped smoking 10 years ago, I went on patches for 6 weeks and in that time I smoked herbal cigarettes when the urge was to have a smoke in and that helped to wean myself off the habit of "Hand to Mouth" and slowly replaced it with things like drawing and writing, anything to occupy my hands.

Eating food when you have the urge actually releases the same "Reward" chemicals that having a cigarette does, avoid sugary and junk foods. A banana or Apple is far better than some junk food crap. By eating your able to fool your brain in to thinking you just had a smoke. Your hardest challenge is overcoming the psychological addiction which is the main reason why smokers can not stop smoking.
    I laughed that hard, I burst my colostomy bag...
    As for change, you got more chance of sweeping diahorea up hill with garden fork.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 538/2
    Given: 315/0

Recently there was a news article that was discussing so-called eCigs. Apparently tests have shown you get more nicotine from sucking on an unlit cigarette than you do from these overpriced gadgets. They're junk. Probably a big reason why I've not seen them for sale in the GWN.
    I do not fail -- I succeed at finding out what does not work.

Zygote

Thumbs Up/Down

Its very impressive and informative to read this post and reading the concept of e-cigarettes. I think nothing more better than this idea could be done for all the chain smoker through out the world wide.

Smokers around the world are have been negatively affected by the smoking ban. The E-Cigarette does not produce harmful second-hand smoke. No tar, no burning, no real smoke and most important its does not contain the dangerous carcinogens.No air pollution.Virtually odorless; no lingering smell in clothes, home and car. No teeth discoloration like from regular cigarettes.
    So cool, I really want to try them.

Thumbs Up/Down

The thing is not the fact that its smokeless but the vapour is a gas that can still be inhaled, so your still providing some alternative, that being the narcotic in higher concentrations.

Nicotine poisoning is serious, you can die from it, so IMHO the e-cigarette is more dangerous than just smoking it in the first place.
    As for change, you got more chance of sweeping diahorea up hill with garden fork.

Flowering Member

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 19/0

One big problem is people use aides to get away from smoking then smoke while they are on a patch or lozenges and get some powerful nicotine dosage.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 6/0

5 years ago i quit smoking those nasty expensive cigs. i did it by smoking a joint everytime i felt like a cigarette. now i know that's a lot of j's but i used to just smoke 1/3 or 1/2......just enough to make the craving go away.
    i used to (for some strange reason...because it really makes a difference) roll my j's with tobacco,, because i smoked cigs.. weed tastes much better without the tobacco. i also was able to stop taking 4 pills of oxy a day for pain. i no longer need that nasty drug either (talk about addicting..and they knew how bad it was) mary jane saved my life...literally. i was very depressed and in a lot of pain......no help from gov't. still waiting for disability more than a year later...even though 7 doctors all agree about my diagnosis.. sorry to rant, didn't mean to.....it's just so aggrivating...
    peace
    Last edited by paddyk; 03-24-2010 at 11:36 PM.

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by gelu65
    One big problem is people use aides to get away from smoking then smoke while they are on a patch or lozenges and get some powerful nicotine dosage.
    Nicotine overdoses can kill.

Grab your fave search engine and throw "Nicotine Poisoning" in to the box and go...

You may be shocked at some of the symptoms... Basically anything and everything including a wooden box.

Seedling

Thumbs Up/Down

Here's a link to health canada's warning regarding e-cigerrettes.

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/ahc-asc/media...009_53-eng.php

Like Netbuddy said, nicotine is a dangerous, habit forming substance and great care needs to be taken when using it in any form. Unlike or lovely THC, nicotine is a toxin and should be used more moderately and with greater concern because of that.