Zygote

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Question V.A and cannabis?

What should i expect if a piss-test comes up positive for cannabis? Igo to the VA every 6 months for primary care checkup and hep-c viral load,ast,alt and what ever else they test for.my app letter comes a month before i call and schedule app,so i stay away from cannabis for a month.Ya just never know,i cant afford to lose benefits as the first 48 week treatments about bankrupted me with private insurance.all comments appreciated!

Thumbs Up/Down

I go to the VA on a regular basis and I have told my doctors that I use cannabis for my mental well being and for pain. I have brought in articles from TY for my doctors. They have always been open to receive them. I also have had many urine test and no one has ever said anything to me. I don't know if it is like this at all VA medical center, I can only say what I have experienced.
    I am the quality control for my own medication.

Thumbs Up/Down

I use the VA hospital constantly it seems ever since I had congestive heart failure friday the 13th of March of this year and then in for triple bypass surgeryin May. I have never lived in a cannabis friendly state so I have tried to avoid toking up just prior to a visit but about a month ago due to schedulings incompentancy I got a new doc and she ordered a UA and murphys law I had smoked a wee bit the night before. I was told by the lab the pee test was to assure the doc I was taking my hydrocodone and not selling it on the street. I thought to my self yeah right and not one word is going to be said if they spot pot. Well I have been in and out for infections to the open heart surgery site several times in the last month and not one word has been said about the pee test results
    It's a weed that turns to a flower in your mind

Seedling

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 5/0
    Given: 1/0

I will be in the same boat as you coming Oct. I have my normal visit and it includes blood and urine samples. I get that every six months ( I wasn't into smoking until recently as I am now retired military).
    They watch me for high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and I take an anti-depressant.
    I am also an alcoholic so they also monitor my liver due to the fact I have abused it.
    I think they are only looking for what your are supposed to be on, and to be sure other things are not going on. The first cholesterol medication I was on I turned out to be allergic to. I was having muscle cramps and tests showed the medication was tearing my muscles apart (It was like having a Charlie horse in your legs all the time).

If I run into any problem from smoking a little week, I'll find this topic and post my results. If I don't happen to post anything about it after Oct., then assume all is good for me on this issue.

P.S. I drink less when I am smoking, or so my wife says. She is also in a pain management program due to chronic back issues. She is prescribed some hard stuff (Morphine and the like) and also smokes. With luck, when (not if) she gets a piss test it is only to be sure she is using what they give correctly and not selling it like mentioned earlier.
    Last edited by Dirty Harry; 09-15-2009 at 07:13 PM.

Zygote

Thumbs Up/Down

Well I received my appointment reminder yesterday and scheduled for oct. 26. 30 days to "detox"(like i really wanna) so now you'll have to make room on the boat(:>)).It's funny though,while i was on treatment my hep-c nurse told me if a little weed showed up in my system he wouldn't say anything,plus i gave the dude a homebrew kit since my beer days are over(:>(( .It made for a cool medpro- patient relationship.I guess i gotta feel my prime care doc out on this.It is awesome there is fellow vets on this forum!Ilook forward to logging on every night to read you folks responses. keep e'm coming greatly appreciated

Thumbs Up/Down

Default Since Michigan recently became a

Medical Marijuana state, and we have several Veterans who were interested in becoming patients, we decided it would be in thier best interests if we sent an inquiry about the VA's stance on it. Turns out that they have eased thier policy on MM and are not going to give our vets any woe's over thier use. Good news for veterans, for a change.

Peace...j.b.
    In times of deceit, telling the truth is revolutionary- George Orwell

silentium est idem eadem idem ut consensio - j.b.

Host - Brighton Area Compassion Club
    www.brightoncc.com

Zygote

Thumbs Up/Down

Man I envy you all who live in a mmj state,jb247 i'm in Michigans "land down under" yeah Ohio not yet a mmj state but we are working on it ! It is amazing how many medical people support it and how many gov't officials are against it. I go to dayton,oh v.a. any body have any experience with them?

Seedling

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2/0
    Given: 2/0

Yeah I live in a illegal state ...and use the VA system as well...I have blood work done every 6 months as well...I have a very good DR...in the 5 years I have been seeing him...he has yet to make me pee in a bottle...cuz he knows I self medicate...so my pain meds aren't in jeopardy....
    "Prohibition...goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes...a prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded."

Abraham Lincoln
    Dec. 1840

In the Jefferson State of Northern California
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0

Posted in The Daily Seedhttp://thedailyseed.ning.com
    At 8:07am on September 23, 2009, Chico Holistic Healthcare said…
    Oh, Darcy, I forgot to tell you. That client with the diabetic ulcers... GONE - not him, the ulcers! The Podiatrist couldn't heal them, the diabetic doctor couldn't heal them; but the client was in yesterday with only scars and discoloration where the ulcers were on both feet! They took a handful of cards with them to hand out at the VA; saying that with Hemp Eaze and our treatment, we were able to do in one month what the doctors haven't been able to do in 4 months! How about that?
    Most Hemp creams in today's market contain only hemp seed oil or leaf compounds. Some include alcohol, petroleum, or animal byproducts. But only HEMP-EAZE TM therapy cream contains the organic, healing of Hemp Root, with a complex formula of medicinal herbs.
    We have come to realize, while searching for a massage cream to ease our daily aches and pains, that all healing creams are not the same. A cream that gives relief, has to do more than feel good, it has to heal. The Egyptians knew it, the Greeks knew it and the Tibetan healers knew it. They, like others in ancient societies, depended on restoration. The chief element in restorative creams of early pharmacopoeia was hemp root,
    the active ingredient essential to oils prescribed in both the Aramaic and Hebrew versions of the Old Testament. Hemp root, myrrh, and olive oil preparations were applied topically to alleviate swelling and joint pain, or as salves for burns.
    At Tierra Sol Farm, we start with hemp root and myrrh then add a proprietary blend of Comfrey, Hyssop and Sage, for they rejuvenate the circulation. Our unique blend also decreases bruising, relieves stiffness, and promotes cellular growth, to encourage deep tissue healing.
    This means relief for muscular and bone aches, arthritis, old injuries and mending wounds.
    This cream is also used for rashes, psorisis,chemo burns, insect bites, and many skin discomforts The healing properties that are provided in Burdock, Lobelia, Bay, Lavender, with the soothing qualities of Olive and Soy oils enrich our handcrafted therapy cream.
    Tests have shown that the root does Not contain THC But Yes we are re-introducing the Root into the fourfront of healing properties. http://myforum.hemp-eaze.com
    Healing At The ROOT of the Problem
    www.hemp-eaze.com

Zygote

Thumbs Up/Down

Smile Thank-you!

Hemp-EaZe,sounds like ya have a good product there,it wont help with hep-c but a friend of mine is diabetic and has foot trouble so i sent a link. Glad to get input from D.H.,Thatsbetter,Smokinbasser,jb247,fylthevoyd, you folk helped whether you know it or not! Not so uptight now. Thank-you!, surfer T

Seedling

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 5/0
    Given: 1/0

Follow up:
    I had my VA appointment. They took 3 vials of blood but no urine sample.
    The results came back showing all that is wrong with me, but no mention of anything else. I figure if they were screening blood for THC, it would be more accurate than a piss test.
    Either they are not looking for it, in my case, or it isn't something they are concerned about.
    I now of one vet who was not allowed to participate in an experimental Hepatitis C trial years ago, but they didn't have a problem with it other than not being able to be in the trial. I figure since it was an experimental trial, they did not want anything in his system other than what they wanted to give him. He was given the chance to stop smoking for the trial or miss out. He decided to keep smoking and do without the trial.

Thumbs Up/Down

I just got out of the VA hospital after another complication from my triple bypass and whizz tests and multiple blood labs and not one thing was said about cannabis in my system so I believe they are not concerned or my levels were low enough to not raise any flags or ring any bells, WHEW.
    It's a weed that turns to a flower in your mind

Zygote

Thumbs Up/Down

Default Va Hospitals

I've been retired for 9 years from the Navy. My VA hospital is in Asheville, NC and like most all VA hospitals and clinics, they do not have the money to do drug tests for cannabis. So they do not target anyone for use that I know of. I have been honest with all my doctors and most laugh and go on or just ignore me when i tell them I use cannabis for my well being. I had one nurse look at me and asked me what cannabis was? So I feel pretty safe with my use. Good luck to all my fellow warriors, and good health.

Thumbs Up/Down

I been labeled a drug addict and my doctor doesn't feel comfortable givin' me Hydrocodone(vicidin(sp?))
    Just because I asked for a MMJ recommendation, daBastard :-)

But I found the Tabernacle(www.austintabernacle.com)
    and I'm much better :-)

Love ya's All :-*
    Warrior for the Cause since 1977
    "Some of my finest days have been spent on my veranda smoking hemp."
    Thomas Jefferson

Lisa

Default What Do They Care, Really?

Why should the VA actually care if a vet is smoking a little weed? I am totally frank with my clinicians about my cannabis use, and aside from some pro forma lip service to the mainstream notion that 'drugs are bad, mmmkay? they really haven't even argued with me about it. About half of them support my use - it is becoming almost common knowledge that nothing quiets a manic rage like cannabis - and the other half are just watching to see how it all plays out.

If more cannabis users were more honest with more doctors, fewer doctors would think cannabis use was outside the norm.

Thumbs Up/Down

I agree with you, Lisa. Hiding a solution from the medical community doesn't help anyone.

In the Jefferson State of Northern California
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0

That's cool surfer T! Thanx for sharing
    Healing At The ROOT of the Problem
    www.hemp-eaze.com

Zygote

Thumbs Up/Down

Default cannabis and va

Well, I went the 26th oct. and no piss test or anything out of the ordinary. I was only asked if i drink alcohol,told them "NO,that shit is deadly" (:>)) for me at any rate.Lisa and thatsbetter your right in your thinking about hiding use. the trouble is they can deny transplants on drug usage of any kind and i don't know what the future holds for me in that respect. toons i think your right on about the v.a. not having the money for targeting anyone for cannabis testing, which is a good thing DaMagoMan,that is utter bullshit the doctor wont give ya pain meds because of mmj request,hell nothing tops off that crummy down feeling from narcotics lke some good old weed and it enhances the painkilling properties greatly.guess i'm just a worrywart but thanks for all the good posting from everyone it really helped! surfer T

Thumbs Up/Down

Default Canadian Vets now get free cannabis

Canadian Vets now get free cannabis

as a vet I will not apply though

still its good news for a lot of canadian servicemen and women

they are covered and their cannabis is now free
    hello everyone...my name is john shavluk

and I am a cannabisolic......

belief is the most powerful force in human existence -shavluk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPr9A-t6Spg

Http://pottalk.ning.com

http://juror.ca

http://shavluk.com/

Zygote

Thumbs Up/Down

Default This Retired Sailor Needs To Move To Canada

That is wonderful, at least it is free for the Canadian Vets. I was stationed with one of the coolest guys during Desert Stom, a great Army Capt. from Canada, we tried not to get into trouble. HAHA! may God watch over all of the worlds Vets.

Flowering Member

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 19/0

Can you demand to know what tests are going to be performed before they are done and deny access to any test that you do not want done for whatever reason. I think you can stop these tests but they may be able to try to deny services to you. Jerry

Zygote

Thumbs Up/Down

Every time that they have taken blood from me, they have always told me what the tests are for. I just would not worry about it.

Thumbs Up/Down

As far as I know, they have never checked me for drug use. It is usually similar test that would take place during a annual physical. I have told my doctors about my cannabis use and they act like they don't really care and I live in a non-medical marijuana state. I did have one doctor that felt the obligation to tell me about Jesus who could solve all my problems. I waited for him but he never showed up.